Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Arsenal are among a host of Premier League clubs watching Joe Gomez"

Comments

• So, that £15.99 an he will be over the horizon before you can bat an eyelid ! We are here forever, Joe is here until a better offer comes along, and any prem team offer is going to be better than ours.
  • HTTP:// www.The Telegraph is one of a host of media outlets who look at young emerging players and meaninglessly link them to nearby Premiership clubs.com

That link doesnt work

What does it say?
  • He is sensible lad, chances are he will look at what has happened to Poyet and learn from his error.
  • Special relationship we have with Arsenal. He would be our 4th highly rated youngster they took on a perm, the other 3 costing them less than £1.5M total I believe. In return they have given us that Dench bloke I can't even remember the name of and the French CM who played for us for such a short period I can't remember his name either.
  • Jerome Thomas and Jeffers too.
  • really really hope we hold onto him for at least 1 more season a full season will see his value go up 4 fold
  • Are people genuinely questioning why so few youth prospects make it in through the top teams academy in to their first teams ??
    Let me explain
    If you are good enough to play for the top 4 you can in turn naturally play for any club below in the English structure
    If you are good enough for Charlton as a youngster it doesn't naturally mean you can play for any team above in the football structure
    Hence more youth prospects will find it easier to progress to our first team than say an Arsenal first team
    Hope this helps :-)

• We had Scott Parker on display the other night. he chased the big bucks, and had a relatively smooth career, but will forever wonder if he could have made the England team consistently if he had'nt gone on to be a spare part of the Chelski machine. Another year for Gomez here would benefit both parties hugely.

I suppose this is why I'm not an agent.
  • Are people genuinely questioning why so few youth prospects make it in through the top teams academy in to their first teams ??
    Let me explain
    If you are good enough to play for the top 4 you can in turn naturally play for any club below in the English structure
    If you are good enough for Charlton as a youngster it doesn't naturally mean you can play for any team above in the football structure
    Hence more youth prospects will find it easier to progress to our first team than say an Arsenal first team

With the resources they have available, top 4 clubs should be able to produce better players, surely?
    Let me explain

Barcelona seem to bring through a fair few young players for their first team.
  • Sponsored links:

• If Arsenal want him, they will get him, and Gomez would be mad to do anything different. Arsenal seem to be a club who behave fairly, as with Jenkinson when they could have got him without a fee if I remember correctly, and would certainly develop him as a player. Sad to say I think that a decent fee would see RD taking the bite.
  • 2006 Liverpool 3–2 Manchester City
    2007 Liverpool 2–2 Manchester United Aggregated extra time; 4–3 on penalty shootout
    2008 Manchester City 4–2 Chelsea
    2009 Arsenal 6–2 Liverpool
    2010 Chelsea 3–2 Aston Villa
    2011 Manchester United 6–3 Sheffield United
    2012 Chelsea 4–1 Blackburn Rovers
    2013 Norwich City 4–2 Chelsea
    2014 Chelsea 7–6 Fulham

Fa Youth Cup Final shows the bigger clubs having the better of it generally in recent times

Unlike The Premier League Academy below

2006–07 Leicester City U18s
    2007–08 Aston Villa U18s
    2008–09 Arsenal U18s
    2009–10 Arsenal U18s
    2010–11 Everton U18s
    2011–12 Fulham U18s
    2012–13 Fulham U18s
    2013–14 Everton U18s
  • He's a quality player. If he does right by the club and we get a good lump of cash then I'll wish him well. If he sneaks of at contract end and we get nothing then he'll be a poyet in my eyes.
  • se9addick said:

Are people genuinely questioning why so few youth prospects make it in through the top teams academy in to their first teams ??
    Let me explain

thats partially because of their coaching and structure, but also because of the culture of bringing in young players from their own ranks. None of the bigger clubs have that culture, except maybe now tottenham and southampton are doing well with that culture.

Culture is half the battle
  • Quality player but if I was being overly critical I'd ask where he was for both Millwall goals that came from the right-hand side he had taken over responsibility for.
  • Gomez

Quality player but if I was being overly critical I'd ask where he was for both Millwall goals that came from the right-hand side he had taken over responsibility for.

17 years old. The talent is phenomenal
  • Tyrone Mings being watched by Arsenal. Plus every other Premier team just like Gomez.

What Joe and Tyrone have in common, as well as being level headed kids is they look class even when they make mistakes in games.
    Which Joe did on Tuesday and Mings did at the valley this season.

Both of them glide over the ground.
  • Joe came into the U-18's at 15, and I think anyone who saw him then could have seen he was potential Premier League material, albeit as a CB where he always played. So I was very surprised and delighted when he signed a 3-year contract last year after all the time he spent away with the England Youth team, where he must have heard loadsamoney tales from his colleagues from the likes of Chelski. I fully expected him to follow Palmer and Poyet, but it's good to be wrong, and it's more like he's following the Shelvey route, and we're not as desperate for cash now as we were then.
  • se9addick said:

Are people genuinely questioning why so few youth prospects make it in through the top teams academy in to their first teams ??
    Let me explain

thats partially because of their coaching and structure, but also because of the culture of bringing in young players from their own ranks. None of the bigger clubs have that culture, except maybe now tottenham and southampton are doing well with that culture.

Culture is half the battle
    Barcelona also have their own "B" team, which is the perfect place to blood youngsters
  • http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/435321/EXCLUSIVE-Liverpool-Man-Utd-Arsenal-Chelsea-Man-City-Leeds-sensation-Lewis-Cook

£12 million for Leeds' 18-year-old central defender - gets you thinking on what we could demand for Joe. Regardless of a supposed 'price-tag' certain RD would never turn down a £5 million bid for Gomez.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why would he be worth less than a third of this other kid?
  • cafc4ever said:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/435321/EXCLUSIVE-Liverpool-Man-Utd-Arsenal-Chelsea-Man-City-Leeds-sensation-Lewis-Cook

£12 million for Leeds' 18-year-old central defender - gets you thinking on what we could demand for Joe. Regardless of a supposed 'price-tag' certain RD would never turn down a £5 million bid for Gomez.

It's agent season.

Leeds have slapped a £12m price-tag on Cook's head and a club source said: "Lewis knows he will have to leave Leeds to fulfil his ambitions.

"All the big clubs have been keeping close tabs on him and want him, so he will have his pick of the best and has a big decision to make.

For club source read player's agent.
  • He's one to keep for sure and at his age and stage of development we couldn't comprehend him moving elsewhere but it's not up to us and not fully up to him either. If a premiership or "bigger" club offers him & his 'people' significantly more money Joe will be under huge pressure to move. We must not be in any doubt that Roly D will sell any player for whom a decent offer is received. If the business stands to make any sort of net profit on the the transaction Roly D will take it and expect KM and the incumbent head coach to make the best of things.
  • Why would he be stupid enough to sell a player whose value will probably double in the next year, and increase more after that?
  • The answer is in your question
    Roly knows a shade short of nuck fothing about football, English in particular, and sincerely believes it can be run on a breakeven basis. He holds great store by statistics and entrusts his employees to achieve the goals he sets, replacing them when they don't. He moves players around his network like stock around a warehouse and sells when an economic fee is offered.
    Case in point: Michael Morrison. Bob Peeters didn't favour MM who ended up out on loan. Under BP MM appeared to have no present let alone future so when brum offered to take MM permanently and MM was keen to keep playing, it looked like everybody was a winner - MM gets to play and charlton lose some 'deadwood' off the payroll. A very short term policy, the sense of which is now all too apparent.
    Bob Peeters gets the push and when Luzon needed alternatives to TBH and Bikey he only had teenagers so Johnson was recruited - didn't look like such a great state of affairs on Tuesday against Fulham did it?
    What we will find out is how stubborn Roly proves to be. His valuations of the playing staff are based on opportunity cost and replacement cost rather than agents' dreams, paper talk and supporter wish fulfilment.
    The result of which so far has been 2 uninspiring and largely unentertaining but ultimately successful avoidances of relegation. Future expenditure commitments made to training ground development may not leave much for squad enhancement for a club annually losing £7M+. Funds for that will come from player sales, however counter-intuitive that clearly is.
  • cafc4ever said:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/435321/EXCLUSIVE-Liverpool-Man-Utd-Arsenal-Chelsea-Man-City-Leeds-sensation-Lewis-Cook

I can't believe the sort of rubbish that gets spouted (probably by an agent)
    He fears he will never achieve his dream of playing in the Premier League and representing the Three Lions at senior level if he doesn't leave Leeds.
    If he was a 32 year old that would make sense, but he's 18 with another 15 years in the game ahead of him...
  • The answer is in your question
    Roly knows a shade short of nuck fothing about football, English in particular, and sincerely believes it can be run on a breakeven basis. He holds great store by statistics and entrusts his employees to achieve the goals he sets, replacing them when they don't. He moves players around his network like stock around a warehouse and sells when an economic fee is offered.
    Case in point: Michael Morrison. Bob Peeters didn't favour MM who ended up out on loan. Under BP MM appeared to have no present let alone future so when brum offered to take MM permanently and MM was keen to keep playing, it looked like everybody was a winner - MM gets to play and charlton lose some 'deadwood' off the payroll. A very short term policy, the sense of which is now all too apparent.
    Bob Peeters gets the push and when Luzon needed alternatives to TBH and Bikey he only had teenagers so Johnson was recruited - didn't look like such a great state of affairs on Tuesday against Fulham did it?
    What we will find out is how stubborn Roly proves to be. His valuations of the playing staff are based on opportunity cost and replacement cost rather than agents' dreams, paper talk and supporter wish fulfilment.
    The result of which so far has been 2 uninspiring and largely unentertaining but ultimately successful avoidances of relegation. Future expenditure commitments made to training ground development may not leave much for squad enhancement for a club annually losing £7M+. Funds for that will come from player sales, however counter-intuitive that clearly is.

I'd say top half and the last few months has been better than that.

Assuming he stays for next season, we'll not get more than 5-6 mil for Gomez, probably less, but as long as we get a solid few mil then it's good business for the club. Who knows, if we invest in the right areas with the right manager, we could be in and around playoffs next year and Gomez may want to stay along with a couple of our other top players.

We'll always be a selling club, and you tend not to be able to demand too much unless you have people tied up to 4-5 year contracts.
  • PL54 said:

Why would he be worth less than a third of this other kid?

Nice maths !
  • cafc4ever said:

How do we know what RD would or wouldn't turn down?

It also depends on what the player wants to do. I don't get the feeling Gomez wants to play u21 football while he can play regularly for us. He's probably already had chances to do that and instead stayed here where he'll play in the first team.
  • Take the money and reinvest all of it in the team for a promotion push.
    I'd love Joe to be part of a title winning season but unless we beef up the squad with quality then it'll be another mid to lower table finish next year.