Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Arsenal are among a host of Premier League clubs watching Joe Gomez"

Comments

• seth plum said:

There has been a massive new deal trumpeted by that dork Scudamore as being worth billions.
    Arsenal have already snaffled a player from us for nothing, let them pay big bags if they want another. anyway a move right now would be bad for Joe Gomez' football development.

I agree Seth. Carl Jenkinson was playing for Arsenal in the Champions league very soon after joining them. How many players of Champions league quality are purchased for a lousy one million pounds? If Joe has to go, it must be for realistic money that reflects his true potential - which is very considerable indeed!
  • seth plum said:

There has been a massive new deal trumpeted by that dork Scudamore as being worth billions.
    Arsenal have already snaffled a player from us for nothing, let them pay big bags if they want another. anyway a move right now would be bad for Joe Gomez' football development.

I agree Seth. Carl Jenkinson was playing for Arsenal in the Champions league very soon after joining them. How many players of Champions league quality are purchased for a lousy one million pounds? If Joe has to go, it must be for realistic money that reflects his true potential - which is very considerable indeed!
    But what if Joe wants to go? Would you want to be the club/manager that prevents a lad from earning more money and playing at a higher level. Piss him off and he will leave when his contract runs out and we get a measly compensation sum. The club have to play this right and so does Joe.
  • Well he's got more 2 more years on his contract, with an option of another year, though can we trigger this ourselves if his contract is running down?
  • Whatever happens we will know more about the Belgian's strategy and aims thats for sure.
  • I have supported Charlton since 1952,,(approx) and they have always been a selling club.Reading between the line,s re,Gomez.Nothing has changed.Would not be surprised if one or two more go.
  • I wasn't even thinking of Jenkinson but Semi Ajayi
  • Derek1952 said:

I have supported Charlton since 1952,,(approx) and they have always been a selling club.Reading between the line,s re,Gomez.Nothing has changed.Would not be surprised if one or two more go.

Indeed generation after generation of talent has been sold. What is different here is where in the network will the money go? Before it just went to pay off Charlton's running costs, now?
  • I'm sure I'm not alone but if he had to go anywhere, I'd prefer it to be Arsenal than Chelsea/City etc...
  • If you think about all the millions that come from the Premiership, you must realise that anyone with a penchant for making money will have that firmly in his mind. I am afraid that for all of us plebs, it's wait and see.
  • Arsenal paid up to £16m for Chambers from Southampton, if all the add-ons are included.
    He at least was playing in the premier league for a year.

No way are we going to get anything like the figures being thrown around on here. £4/5 million would probably be enough to buy him.
  • Sponsored links:

• kentred2 said:

Derek1952 said:

I have supported Charlton since 1952,,(approx) and they have always been a selling club.Reading between the line,s re,Gomez.Nothing has changed.Would not be surprised if one or two more go.

Indeed generation after generation of talent has been sold. What is different here is where in the network will the money go? Before it just went to pay off Charlton's running costs, now?
    And I suppose we've not benefitted at all from any of the "network's" money?
  • colthe3rd said:

kentred2 said:

Derek1952 said:

We actually paid 2.4 million chocolate coins (Belgian of course) for Vetokele
  • edited April 2015

Gibbs and what's left of Wilshere have to count

Ramsey too surely but for wales
  • colthe3rd said:

kentred2 said:

Derek1952 said:

Dont know. Hopefully so. Wait and see the accounts. Dont know for example the fee for the loan players etc that will appear against Charlton bit of network etc.
  • uie2 said:

Gibbs and what's left of Wilshere have to count

Ramsey too surely but for wales
    cant count Ramsey he was almost 18 when he signed for Arsenal and played for the Cardiff first team
  • If Arsenal or anyone else buy Joe it's a punt for them. They won't spend zillions up front on a 17 year old with a handful albeit very good appearances in the championship. They are buying potential. Not the finished article. If £8 is the price on offer then it should be accepted but with some clever bolt ons, a loan back next season and an agreement from the PL club that we can have some other loans and not just the dross either.

Money talks. Always has and always will.
  • edited April 2015
    To be honest I think £8m is an acceptable price. I have a few friends who are Arsenal fans and they saw the news today and asked me about Joe Gomez. I told them he is a truly gifted player, rated very highly by us and is perhaps even better than Jenko. They said £5m is more likely the price they're willing to pay, considering Jenko only cost them around £1m.
  • I'm curious as to where these numbers come from. Metro saying £8m, people on here saying £20m. Is it just picking a number out of the air and running with it?

As far as I'm concerned there are very few, if any center backs at Championship level that have Joe's mix of quality/potential/young age - so not even sure who he can be compared to in order to come to a number on his valuation.

In truth, I'm not really bothered about how much it is - all that bothers me is how much of it goes back into OUR club. Thats the real number we should be concerned about.
  • cafctom said:

I'm curious as to where these numbers come from. Metro saying £8m, people on here saying £20m. Is it just picking a number out of the air and running with it?

As far as I'm concerned there are very few, if any center backs at Championship level that have Joe's mix of quality/potential/young age - so not even sure who he can be compared to in order to come to a number on his valuation.

In truth, I'm not really bothered about how much it is - all that bothers me is how much of it goes back into OUR club. Thats the real number we should be concerned about.

most comments on here are what people want for him, don't think anyone has said that that's how much we will get, just want they would sell him for
  • To be honest I think £8m is an acceptable price. I have a few friends who are Arsenal fans and they saw the news today and asked me about Joe Gomez. I told them he is a truly gifted player, rated very highly by us and is perhaps even better than Jenko. They said £5m is more likely the price they're willing to pay, considering Jenko only cost them around £1m.

Gomez is better than Jenkinson, and there's clearly far more 'buzz' about him in the football world, especially with the lack of decent young CBs. At the time Jenkinson left, there was surprise that Arsenal wanted him, whereas Gomez's name has been linked with most of the Big 4 type clubs
  • Sponsored links:

• Haven't Arsenal asked £12 million for Jenkinson if West Ham want him permanently?
  • cafctom said:

I'm curious as to where these numbers come from. Metro saying £8m, people on here saying £20m. Is it just picking a number out of the air and running with it?

If it's in the Metro then yes that is definitely the case.
  • I’d take 6 million up front – 2 year loan back and 20% sell on, 2 million 50 games, 1 million England cap.
  • To be honest I think £8m is an acceptable price. I have a few friends who are Arsenal fans and they saw the news today and asked me about Joe Gomez. I told them he is a truly gifted player, rated very highly by us and is perhaps even better than Jenko. They said £5m is more likely the price they're willing to pay, considering Jenko only cost them around £1m.

Gomez is better than Jenkinson, and there's clearly far more 'buzz' about him in the football world, especially with the lack of decent young CBs. At the time Jenkinson left, there was surprise that Arsenal wanted him, whereas Gomez's name has been linked with most of the Big 4 type clubs
    Yes I do remember reading posts on here about people feeling surprised by the Jenkinson deal. Actually the Chinese Arsenal fans have a nickname for him: JenMillion, which I always find funny but widely used. He's a very popular player among the Gooners here. I talked about his potential permanent West Ham move with some of them a few months ago and they all said they would miss him. He's apparently gained a huge lot of popularity during his years in Arsenal despite the limited first-team appearances he's made there.

It's great to know Gomez is even better than Jenko. I hate to say it but now that he's already been linked with four big clubs, I reckon he'll leave in the summer, if not then within a year's time at the most. Just look where Jenkinson is now - although he probably won't play for Arsenal anymore but he's become a world famous player (it's not an exaggeration, people who regularly watch Premier League matches here all know who he is), earned a lot of money and now at a fairly big club and playing regularly. Not many of us would have thought of that when he was here at Charlton. So much as I want young Joe to stay, I won't blame him for leaving for a club like Arsenal. What we (or say the owner and the CEO), while facing the cruel reality, must do is make the big clubs pay the absolute highest price possible for each and every one of our players. Don't let the Poyet situation ever happen again.
  • Arsenal loaned out Jenkinson who has looked ok in the Premiership and then played Chambers at right back who looked awful every time I saw him, slow, out of position and always seemed to pick up a booking.
  • this is inevitable. The best we can hope for is 8 million and have him back for a year
  • If Arsenal or anyone else buy Joe it's a punt for them. They won't spend zillions up front on a 17 year old with a handful albeit very good appearances in the championship. They are buying potential. Not the finished article. If £8 is the price on offer then it should be accepted but with some clever bolt ons, a loan back next season and an agreement from the PL club that we can have some other loans and not just the dross either.

Money talks. Always has and always will.

It better not be eight quid!
  • The idealist in me says that Rufus and Curbs, stuck it out with Charlton, despite being linked with numerous clubs over the years, in the papers, would love that to be the case now, I'm not doubting Joes massive potential, and I sincerely hope he goes on to be the next Rio Ferdinand, he certainly miles better than Glenn Johnson ever was, but I'd love to see the best of Joes years at Charlton, captaining us in the premiership, I can but dream.
  • I always thought Rufus was good but not quite top class, he probably stayed with us because the big clubs didn't rate him.
  • colin1961 said:

What these papers are forgetting is
    He is under contract and the player does not want to leave

So what does Charlton do simple anyone wants him the price is 15 mill plus add ons for future transfer and England caps , plus loan back for 12 months plus a player on loan

I'm with you but frankly a Prem club offering Joe 20k a week would leave him with an easy choice. Sad but true.