Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Arsenal are among a host of Premier League clubs watching Joe Gomez"

Comments

• Valley11 said:

Take the money and reinvest all of it in the team for a promotion push.
    I'd love Joe to be part of a title winning season but unless we beef up the squad with quality then it'll be another mid to lower table finish next year.

I agree, but better still get him loaned back to us for the season so he can be part of the promotion push! We can then sign him back two seasons later when we're in the prem for half the price! :-)
  • I read somewhere that each premiership match generates around 10 million quid. If that is true, and if the greedy premiership bastardoes don't want to trickle money down in an honourable way, then it seems perfectly right and proper to negotiate as hard as you can with them, and to play them off against each other. Part of me would even be tempted to let a contract run out than to back down to the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea or Manchester United.
    Joe Gomez is surely worth at least the product of two premiership matches (btw I would love Joe to spend his entire career with us), and I say beezollocks to the so called big boys, they can pay up instead of funding the fourth Ferrarris for their fifth choice goalkeepers.
  • Valley11 said:

Take the money and reinvest all of it in the team for a promotion push.
    I'd love Joe to be part of a title winning season but unless we beef up the squad with quality then it'll be another mid to lower table finish next year.

We won't be able to buy a player of Joe's quality though.

• Papers still running almost daily stories about Joe Gomez going to Arsenal for £8m. They are saying that Charlton would jump at £8 million. That doesn't seem good business to me, that is peanuts looking at the potential Joe has. Already he is quality in the Championship at 17, unless Joe picks up a horrible injury he is going to be an international player playing for a top Premiership Team. To me he is worth considerably more than £8 million now, he is worth double that at least in my opinion. Especially looking at all the money there is in the PL. I just hope he continues his football education with us for the next couple of seasons at least. To me that benefits club and player but easy for me to say when the wages Joe would pick up at a top PL club would be 5 - 6 times what he gets at Charlton.
  • I'd say he is worth 12mil, 5mil on top once an international, and a 20% sell on fee for his inevitable sale to Man City.
  • £10 mil and loan back for next season & I'd take it, if I'm honest.

We have to sell to progress, and if Joe = Lee Bowyer (only in the transfer fee/timing sense), I'm fine with that. Find the Kinsella & Mendonca equivalents & we're away...
  • Sums up the sad, but realistic life of a middling Championship club.
  • Brian said:

Papers still running almost daily stories about Joe Gomez going to Arsenal for £8m. They are saying that Charlton would jump at £8 million. That doesn't seem good business to me, that is peanuts looking at the potential Joe has. Already he is quality in the Championship at 17, unless Joe picks up a horrible injury he is going to be an international player playing for a top Premiership Team. To me he is worth considerably more than £8 million now, he is worth double that at least in my opinion. Especially looking at all the money there is in the PL. I just hope he continues his football education with us for the next couple of seasons at least. To me that benefits club and player but easy for me to say when the wages Joe would pick up at a top PL club would be 5 - 6 times what he gets at Charlton.

£8m upfront for a 17 year old defender is good value.

£1m upfront with £7m based on appearances/success is not.
  • I think we should be looking for at least ten mill up front with the same again in add ons for appearances and international and the rest and a 25% of sell on... oh and him loaned back for two years!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015
    They can stick 8 million, seriously, we have to screw the best deal we can, that's if he goes, and right now would be the wrong moment for Joe.
    With the new deal 8 million is less than loose change for a club like Arsenal, look at how much these clubs waste on players for gawds sake, let alone what they charge for tickets.
    £20+ million plus all the add on bells and whistles...sometime in the future.
  • edited April 2015
    Surely the age he is at, if he goes to one of the big clubs, there would be a loan back for next year arrangement.
  • £10 mil and loan back for next season & I'd take it, if I'm honest.

We have to sell to progress, and if Joe = Lee Bowyer (only in the transfer fee/timing sense), I'm fine with that. Find the Kinsella & Mendonca equivalents & we're away...

We keep saying this loan back stuff every time a player is sold or rumours are circulating but how many times does it actually happen? Not really in the interests of the club buying either.
  • Defenders never get as much, John Stones went to Everton from Barnsley 2 years ago aged 18 for £3m, though at the time he wasn't so 'hyped' as Gomez. Cresswell's fee from Ipswich to West Ham was undisclosed but thought to be £3.75m rising to £7m

If you can do it in the PL, that's where the money gets silly (e.g. Shaw and Chambers)
  • edited April 2015
    I hope I'm wrong but I can't see us getting more than 4 mil plus add ons
  • edited April 2015
    mrbligh said:

I'd agree at this stage of his career.
  • The actual money changing hands is always lower than expected and reported. People talk about £11m for McCormack, but if what I've heard is correct Leeds will never get anything like that amount of money from Fulham.
  • edited April 2015
    mrbligh said:

Which is why it's soo important we hold onto him for another year! Beef up that contract offer please roly!
  • Roland will wet himself at the thought of circa £8mill back into his bank (not to re-invest into the club as such), but he needs to take a look at the bigger picture. Joe Gomez is one of our only REAL, and I'm talking international level style, talent of a certain calibre that's already experienced and proven at a professional level. With agent fee's and most of it being in a slow release format there's no way we'd see any or much of the money pumped back into the club, as fans we want to hold onto him for at least another season, for more than one reason.
  • Sponsored links:

• Defenders never get as much, John Stones went to Everton from Barnsley 2 years ago aged 18 for £3m, though at the time he wasn't so 'hyped' as Gomez. Cresswell's fee from Ipswich to West Ham was undisclosed but thought to be £3.75m rising to £7m

If you can do it in the PL, that's where the money gets silly (e.g. Shaw and Chambers)

Indeed. 8 million is a good price if that's the upfront fee with any extras added on. However if Joe went for that amount then you would want to see the whole fee reinvested on new players, not superficial items like Jumbo screens and air conditioning.

• With the possiblilty of Gomez, Buyens and Gudmundson leaving, lets hope we get some decent replacements.
    Back in March Katrien was certainly hoping he would stay and pointed out they didnt want our best players to leave. This seems a likely prospect now.
  • 8m isn't bad value if it's going to go straight back into the side. We could pick up 2 maybe 3 very decent players and really push for promotion.
  • If Pardew wants £40 million for Bolasie I want £40 million for Young Joseph
  • There has been a massive new deal trumpeted by that dork Scudamore as being worth billions.
    Arsenal have already snaffled a player from us for nothing, let them pay big bags if they want another. anyway a move right now would be bad for Joe Gomez' football development.
  • Wait till he's got caps for the England U21s then his fee will rise... at the moment it'll be around £4m tops... once he's appeared at that level of International Football will his fee rise
  • With any luck Gomez will have a look at how Poyet has done since leaving us. Might give him some second thoughts.
  • Sadly money talks. The report from Eltham Addicks meeting last night says Buyens thinks the money would be hard to turn down.
  • That's because Yoni isn't worth half a billion like our owner.