Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Game of Thrones

Comments

• Options
    When I say a worthless death, I mean in character terms.  Overall, the dragons have been very poorly served as characters in the TV version.  They're little more than a mode of transport/superweapon.  Is there any real resonance with other characters over Rhaegal's death?  Dany screams a bit then basically turns tail and runs away leaving the rest of her fleet defenceless to be rapidly sunk.  Is Jon Snow even remotely bothered that the dragon he rides is gone?   What does Rhaegal's death actually earn?  There's no payoff for that character, no sacrifice, no value to his death.  

All the reasons you describe are for plot purposes, which is fair enough, but from a character perspective it's really just a big blank.  They're just removing a piece from the board and setting up plot points.  If there's one thing that defines this final season it's that plot drives everything and at breakneck speed.  GoT used to be a show where character drove everything.  Now characters are forced to do stupid things to drive events to meet the planned final outcome.
  • Options
    Brad the Broken “Of course I’ll be king” lol

• Options
    On a related note... Having been a defender of the series... Fudge that episode.

Really disappointed...

But it was their story to tell, and now we pray for the books.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    On a related note... Having been a defender of the series... Fudge that episode.

Really disappointed...

But it was their story to tell, and now we pray for the books.
    Same , you cannot defend that episode, oh well got Wembley to look forward too.
  • Options
    This season is so disappointing for me, I will probably forget about the series by this time next week.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Good questions raised by Esquire Magazine after the finale...

1. Is there literally nobody left in King’s Landing?

2. So the Red Keep was damaged just enough to kill Jaime and Cersei, and left intact just enough for Tyrion to easily find their bodies? (My note... if Cersei had just sat in the Iron Thorn chair, apparently she would have been just fine.)
    3. How does Dany still have so many troops? Hasn’t she been hemorrhaging them all season?
    4. If Jon was the biggest threat to Dany, why did she trust him enough to get so physically close? (My note....And really... in a town she just invaded, she has no guards around her when she is killed?)
    5. What’s the point of the North being a separate kingdom if her brother is king?
    6. Why does the Night’s Watch even need to exist?
    7. So the only women Jon will ever have sex with are a wildling woman in a cave and a mass murderer who was also his aunt? :D
    8. Why didn’t Arya ever have to use what she learned from the Faceless Men in the final season? (My note... this is a major WTF did we waste a season on?)
    9. After all that, the Azor Ahai prophecy was nothing.
    10. The Prince That Was Promised prophecy was nothing?
    11. What are Bronn’s qualifications to be Master of Coin?
    12. Does Bran need a Master of Whispers when he knows everything already?
    13. What is the point of the Three-Eyed Raven?
    14. What was the point of the Night King, in the end?
    15. Why didn’t Brienne become head of Sansa’s Queensguard? Since when has she been tight with Bran?
    16. What happens to the cities Dany liberated in the East? (My note... the army is going somewhere else, why won't the slavers re-take their lands. This makes no sense at all.)
    17. Are we never going to know what the fuck Bran was doing during the battle of Winterfell?
    18. Are we never going to know what the deal was with the Children of the Forest?

These are all good questions. Yes, I am sure people can come up with SOME reasons, just not ones that make sense in light of 8 years of character and story arc.

• Options
    The only thing I think I predicted right this season was Brienne updating Jamie's page in the book of the Kings Guard.
  • Options
    Not the heart stopping episode I was expecting but more a series of farewells and wrapping up.
  • Options
    Who rebuilt the wall? Why the feck would anyone listen to grey worms opinion? Why was Tyrion walking for 15 minutes to kill time? Just poor writing imo .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    An episode designed to upset nobody that pleases even less.

It was like a Children’s story book ending. An hour of symbolism and non-sensical storytelling shoved down my throat for everyone to walk off in to the sunset.

If I was cynical, I’d think that HBO might have asked not to kill certain characters so that they can sweat the asset. Fully expecting an Arya spin off series.
  • Options
    Not sure what people expected. Jon and Dany to marry and rule peacefully as King and Queen? Tyrion to pull a still living Jaime out of the rubble and they sail to Pentos to live happily ever after? Grey Worm to smile?

Really not sure what series everyone was watching for the past years if they thought a happy ending was coming.
  • Options
    Good questions raised by Esquire Magazine after the finale...

2. So the Red Keep was damaged just enough to kill Jaime and Cersei, and left intact just enough for Tyrion to easily find their bodies? (My note... if Cersei had just sat in the Iron Thorn chair, apparently she would have been just fine.)
    3. How does Dany still have so many troops? Hasn’t she been hemorrhaging them all season?
    4. If Jon was the biggest threat to Dany, why did she trust him enough to get so physically close? (My note....And really... in a town she just invaded, she has no guards around her when she is killed?)
    5. What’s the point of the North being a separate kingdom if her brother is king?
    6. Why does the Night’s Watch even need to exist?
    7. So the only women Jon will ever have sex with are a wildling woman in a cave and a mass murderer who was also his aunt? :D
    8. Why didn’t Arya ever have to use what she learned from the Faceless Men in the final season? (My note... this is a major WTF did we waste a season on?)
    9. After all that, the Azor Ahai prophecy was nothing.
    10. The Prince That Was Promised prophecy was nothing?
    11. What are Bronn’s qualifications to be Master of Coin?
    12. Does Bran need a Master of Whispers when he knows everything already?
    13. What is the point of the Three-Eyed Raven?
    14. What was the point of the Night King, in the end?
    15. Why didn’t Brienne become head of Sansa’s Queensguard? Since when has she been tight with Bran?
    16. What happens to the cities Dany liberated in the East? (My note... the army is going somewhere else, why won't the slavers re-take their lands. This makes no sense at all.)
    17. Are we never going to know what the fuck Bran was doing during the battle of Winterfell?
    18. Are we never going to know what the deal was with the Children of the Forest?

These are all good questions. Yes, I am sure people can come up with SOME reasons, just not ones that make sense in light of 8 years of character and story arc.

Some good, some also really stupid and show either a lack of understanding or a lack of attention paid. I was thinking about answering some of these, but when question one is...

Now, when you quite clearly see multiple people alive, multiple times in the episode...I kind of thought what's the point in going through the rest? Or does my reason not make sense in the light of 8 years of character and story arc?

On a separate note, boring episode to end it all. The Starks ruling Westeros after all the crap they went through all those years ago though...I'll take that.

• Options
    I was ok with the ending, but it brought absolutely no response from me. No drama, no twists, nothing noteworthy to mention. Even Jon killing Dany was so predictable I was borderline indifferent to it. Jon going back to the wall was the only part that had a sad ending, and even he seems to have had a good ending in the end as he seems to have abandoned his post to live north of the wall with the wildlings. But a lot didn't make a whole lot of sense, a lot of which have been included in the list above.

Just disappointing really. Hopefully we get the books at some point before George croaks it. 
  • Options
    Whilst I've thoroughly enjoyed the entire GOT saga, I can't help but feel they rushed that whole last series.
    It was good....really good....but could have been so much better.
    Definitely needed to be at least 8 episodes instead of 6, that would have improved it quite a bit I think
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's comparable to the last 45 minutes of the last LOTR film. After the big epic battle sequence, there is a huge epilogue that is not particularly dramatic but is necessary to tie up loose ends. That's all an ending is. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    cafcpolo said:
    I'm a massive GOT fan but season 8 is a load of shit. Why would Bran want the iron throne and after killing Dany why would Jon join rejoin the Black? Thought the Night king destroyed it and there was peace with the wildlings now.

Such a massive fan that you went looking up spoilers and decided to post it here before the final episode? You're a massive something, and the word isn't fan.
    Massive what key board warrior? Don't be so angry. It doesn't make you look hard using your keyboard you know.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:
    It's comparable to the last 45 minutes of the last LOTR film. After the big epic battle sequence, there is a huge epilogue that is not particularly dramatic but is necessary to tie up loose ends. That's all an ending is. 
    That's true, but there was a lot more than wrapping up loose ends to do in this episode I felt.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    I'm a massive GOT fan but season 8 is a load of shit. Why would Bran want the iron throne and after killing Dany why would Jon join rejoin the Black? Thought the Night king destroyed it and there was peace with the wildlings now.

Such a massive fan that you went looking up spoilers and decided to post it here before the final episode? You're a massive something, and the word isn't fan.
    Massive what key board warrior? Don't be so angry. It doesn't make you look hard using your keyboard you know.
    I'm not angry, or trying to be hard, I didn't read it until this morning. It's just a dick move and you know it.
  • Options
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHGGGGHHHHH

How can the same people who have made the best anything ever committed to television do what they have just done? 

I hope I'll calm down and be rational as I have been the entire way through up until 6am this morning 
  • Options
    I thought it was decent enough, not incredible.

They clearly didn’t know how to write Bran, felt very much like a wasted character.
  • Options
    Didn't Mance Rayder once belong to the Nigth's Watch ? So, … history repeats itself … If HBO is planning multiple spin-offs, I now see how this could work out ...