Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Game of Thrones

Comments

• Fiiish said:
    I guess we are in spoiler territory now. I think anyone opening this thread at this point though is foolish if they haven't seen the episode.

There were themes running through this season that echo back to previous seasons, which is why I'm not going to shit all over the writing just because a coffee cup was visible, the scorpions were unrealistic and the battles weren't 100% historically accurate.

The themes being stories and breaking the wheel. A point that seemed to fly over the heads of most people was the bit earlier in the season about the Night King wanting to destroy the history of Westeros. It came full circle this episode. Likewise Dany's 'breaking the wheel' was really more of the same. Cersei was the saviour of the Westerosi, protecting the people againsta foreign invader. That was the narrative in King's Landing. For 2 seasons we, as an audience, were led to believe Dany's narrative that the people were oppressed and she would liberate them. The stories and who tells them are important. Because ultimately Dany will go down in history as a villain, and there is a wider point here, there are no heroes or villains. Only the living and the dead, and the living get to decide who is good and who is evil in the stories. Which is how actual history works. Dany was a villain at the end of this story, we just didn't see it because the story was being told from her point of view a lot of the time.
    I think peoples critique of the episode is the pile of dogshit that happened after Dany's death rather than that what happened. I was really enjoying the first 20 mins leading up to Dany's death, however the way that was done was really underwheming, then you had the nonsense of a dragon burning the Iron Throne as a metaphor rather than the person who literally stabbed her, then the episode absolutely tanked from there.

The scene could have been so much better if Kit Harrington just did any sort of acting, looking sad as Dany spews out the tyrant speech to him but he just stabs her mid conversation
  • Fiiish said:
    I guess we are in spoiler territory now. I think anyone opening this thread at this point though is foolish if they haven't seen the episode.

There were themes running through this season that echo back to previous seasons, which is why I'm not going to shit all over the writing just because a coffee cup was visible, the scorpions were unrealistic and the battles weren't 100% historically accurate.

The themes being stories and breaking the wheel. A point that seemed to fly over the heads of most people was the bit earlier in the season about the Night King wanting to destroy the history of Westeros. It came full circle this episode. Likewise Dany's 'breaking the wheel' was really more of the same. Cersei was the saviour of the Westerosi, protecting the people againsta foreign invader. That was the narrative in King's Landing. For 2 seasons we, as an audience, were led to believe Dany's narrative that the people were oppressed and she would liberate them. The stories and who tells them are important. Because ultimately Dany will go down in history as a villain, and there is a wider point here, there are no heroes or villains. Only the living and the dead, and the living get to decide who is good and who is evil in the stories. Which is how actual history works. Dany was a villain at the end of this story, we just didn't see it because the story was being told from her point of view a lot of the time.
    I think peoples critique of the episode is the pile of dogshit that happened after Dany's death rather than that what happened. I was really enjoying the first 20 mins leading up to Dany's death, however the way that was done was really underwheming, then you had the nonsense of a dragon burning the Iron Throne as a metaphor rather than the person who literally stabbed her, then the episode absolutely tanked from there.

The scene could have been so much better if Kit Harrington just did any sort of acting, looking sad as Dany spews out the tyrant speech to him but he just stabs her mid conversation
    More mid snog.
  • I'm a massive GOT fan but season 8 is a load of shit. Why would Bran want the iron throne and after killing Dany why would Jon join rejoin the Black? Thought the Night king destroyed it and there was peace with the wildlings now.

What a wanker.
    I heard that from china lol
  • For me the ending was the funeral pyres after the long night .... the rest was just wrapping g up.
  • edited May 2019
    Moments that were really bad/cringe

Dany's death - I thought Cersei and Jaime being killed by some rocks was underwhelming but fuck me , didn't even show the stab

Drogon burning the iron throne as if he knew that was the cause of Dany's death, yet showing mercy to Jon who clearly killed her

The election scene, Edmure Tully was quite funny, but it was awful other than that

The above, but AYE

HERE IS A BOOK CALLED A SONG OF FIRE AND ICE

All the new master of coin, master of war etc - MAYBE I CAN FIND DROGON

Bran, Sansa and Arya all turning to look at Jon walking away
  • Bran the broken Hahahahahaha what a
    crock of shit 
  • edited May 2019
    Also not the worst episode. Don't know what more could have happened. Was basically just a goodbye. The Starks finally won which was nice, Jon and Dany had a sad ending but it fits the theme of the show.

Main one I feel sorry for is Drogon. Everyone he loved died. He is the real tragedy

About a 7/7.5/10 which isn't bad as far as finales go
  • Also not the worst episode. Don't know what more could have happened. Was basically just a goodbye. The Starks finally won which was nice, Jon and Dany had a sad ending but it fits the theme of the show.

Main one I feel sorry for is Drogon. Everyone he loved died. He is the real traged

The use of the word 'nice' sums it up perfectly. I watched Peppa Pig with my niece yesterday. That was nice. I had a nice cup of tea this morning too.

Game of Thrones should not be 'nice' it should be mildly offensive. 72 episodes of shed blood and it ended like that. At least make the audience feel something. All I feel is frustration that I don't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Also not the worst episode. Don't know what more could have happened. Was basically just a goodbye. The Starks finally won which was nice, Jon and Dany had a sad ending but it fits the theme of the show.

Main one I feel sorry for is Drogon. Everyone he loved died. He is the real traged

The use of the word 'nice' sums it up perfectly. I watched Peppa Pig with my niece yesterday. That was nice. I had a nice cup of tea this morning too.

Game of Thrones should not be 'nice' it should be mildly offensive. 72 episodes of shed blood and it ended like that. At least make the audience feel something. All I feel is frustration that I don't.
    Right well to put a spin on it, Bran got paralyzed, both of Jons loves died in front of his eyes, Arya was more or less tortured and Sansa was raped and made to watch her father die. It's nice that after all that they got their happy ending. 

I just don't see what people are looking for here, do Charlton have a large gothic  fanbase I don't know about?
  • I think there should have been a 20 min sex scene with Danys and Jon snow.

Then maybe he poisons her or something.

To be honest I thought it was shit.

Even the Dexter ending was better then that!

I can only think of 2 shows that ended really well.

Breaking Bad. Sons of Anarchy.
  • Its sleep deprivation that is making me irrational. The episode wasnt that awful and the ending I kind of saw coming as far as the TV show goes. 

Its remains the best programme ever made and will be for years and years. My criticism is I feel it needed a couple more seasons to maintain the pace it had been running at

Right well to put a spin on it, Bran got paralyzed, both of Jons loves died in front of his eyes, Arya was more or less tortured and Sansa was raped and made to watch her father die. It's nice that after all that they got their happy ending. 

I just don't see what people are looking for here, do Charlton have a large gothic  fanbase I don't know about?
    Let's also not forget Arya saw her father killed. Their Mum & two (three if you include Theon) brothers died, as did most of their pet doggies.
  • Good questions raised by Esquire Magazine after the finale...

1. Is there literally nobody left in King’s Landing?

2. So the Red Keep was damaged just enough to kill Jaime and Cersei, and left intact just enough for Tyrion to easily find their bodies? (My note... if Cersei had just sat in the Iron Thorn chair, apparently she would have been just fine.)
    3. How does Dany still have so many troops? Hasn’t she been hemorrhaging them all season?
    4. If Jon was the biggest threat to Dany, why did she trust him enough to get so physically close? (My note....And really... in a town she just invaded, she has no guards around her when she is killed?)
    5. What’s the point of the North being a separate kingdom if her brother is king?
    6. Why does the Night’s Watch even need to exist?
    7. So the only women Jon will ever have sex with are a wildling woman in a cave and a mass murderer who was also his aunt? :D
    8. Why didn’t Arya ever have to use what she learned from the Faceless Men in the final season? (My note... this is a major WTF did we waste a season on?)
    9. After all that, the Azor Ahai prophecy was nothing.
    10. The Prince That Was Promised prophecy was nothing?
    11. What are Bronn’s qualifications to be Master of Coin?
    12. Does Bran need a Master of Whispers when he knows everything already?
    13. What is the point of the Three-Eyed Raven?
    14. What was the point of the Night King, in the end?
    15. Why didn’t Brienne become head of Sansa’s Queensguard? Since when has she been tight with Bran?
    16. What happens to the cities Dany liberated in the East? (My note... the army is going somewhere else, why won't the slavers re-take their lands. This makes no sense at all.)
    17. Are we never going to know what the fuck Bran was doing during the battle of Winterfell?
    18. Are we never going to know what the deal was with the Children of the Forest?

These are all good questions. Yes, I am sure people can come up with SOME reasons, just not ones that make sense in light of 8 years of character and story arc.

This can't be a serious point. The Faceless men taught her to be a near-silent assassin, which she used to kill the Night King, the greatest threat to Westeros that didn't have a dragon. She used it quite well there.

I'm not going to answer 18 of these points, but essentially the answers to nearly all of these questions are 'pay attention'. The answers are all there throughout the show, you're just going to have to think about what's happened before this series. Re-watching it helps, you can binge it pretty quickly and it will clarify a lot of this (e.g. Yunkai being retaken by the slavers in s.6 not long after Daenerys left).

Everything you’ve listed for a shoulder shrug finish.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want a love or loathe ending.
  • Looking at the backlash on social media, it's quite telling that a lot of the people angriest at this season can't even spell 'Thrones' in their hashtags to the point where gameoftrones and gameofthones are trending. If you're gonna criticise the writing, at least spell the name of the show correctly.
  • Good questions raised by Esquire Magazine after the finale...

1. Is there literally nobody left in King’s Landing?

2. So the Red Keep was damaged just enough to kill Jaime and Cersei, and left intact just enough for Tyrion to easily find their bodies? (My note... if Cersei had just sat in the Iron Thorn chair, apparently she would have been just fine.)
    3. How does Dany still have so many troops? Hasn’t she been hemorrhaging them all season?
    4. If Jon was the biggest threat to Dany, why did she trust him enough to get so physically close? (My note....And really... in a town she just invaded, she has no guards around her when she is killed?)
    5. What’s the point of the North being a separate kingdom if her brother is king?
    6. Why does the Night’s Watch even need to exist?
    7. So the only women Jon will ever have sex with are a wildling woman in a cave and a mass murderer who was also his aunt? :D
    8. Why didn’t Arya ever have to use what she learned from the Faceless Men in the final season? (My note... this is a major WTF did we waste a season on?)
    9. After all that, the Azor Ahai prophecy was nothing.
    10. The Prince That Was Promised prophecy was nothing?
    11. What are Bronn’s qualifications to be Master of Coin?
    12. Does Bran need a Master of Whispers when he knows everything already?
    13. What is the point of the Three-Eyed Raven?
    14. What was the point of the Night King, in the end?
    15. Why didn’t Brienne become head of Sansa’s Queensguard? Since when has she been tight with Bran?
    16. What happens to the cities Dany liberated in the East? (My note... the army is going somewhere else, why won't the slavers re-take their lands. This makes no sense at all.)
    17. Are we never going to know what the fuck Bran was doing during the battle of Winterfell?
    18. Are we never going to know what the deal was with the Children of the Forest?

These are all good questions. Yes, I am sure people can come up with SOME reasons, just not ones that make sense in light of 8 years of character and story arc.

I guess that's about as good a set of questions as you'd expect a men's fashion magazine to knock up an hour after the programme ends. Most have either already been answered or are completely nonsensical. They should've taken a bit longer over this and got someone who's actually watched the whole series to write some questions
  • I can see why shows like Sherlock, which spoonfed the audience everything so nothing is a surprise, are so popular now.
  • Fiiish said:
    Looking at the backlash on social media, it's quite telling that a lot of the people angriest at this season can't even spell 'Thrones' in their hashtags to the point where gameoftrones and gameofthones are trending. If you're gonna criticise the writing, at least spell the name of the show correctly.
    Fiiish said:
    I can see why shows like Sherlock, which spoonfed the audience everything so nothing is a surprise, are so popular now.
    I'm not sure why you believe that anyone with an opinion different from your own must be intellectually inferior.

It's 'spoon-fed' by the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't believe that at all.

And it can be spoon-fed or spoonfed, both dictionary acceptable :smile:
  • Pretty sure this is GRRM’s ending - it was just the rush to get it all wrapped that made it feel like it made no sense. So many questions left unanswered.

Bring on the books so we can finally find out what the Others are about, find out why Jon’s true parentage means something etc.
  • edited May 2019
    I am sorry but this just shows the hateful/troll internet culture we live in now. These ratings are a joke 

Everything you’ve listed for a shoulder shrug finish.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want a love or loathe ending.
    I don't think the ending is great, but it's also nowhere near as bad as people are making out that's my thoughts.
  • edited May 2019
    Now that the episodes are over, the actors are coming out saying they didn’t like it. This is just the beginning is my guess.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/amp27524934/emilia-clarke-daenerys-death-game-of-thrones-interview/
  • I'm not saying you're wrong but the link you provided doesn't say that Emilia didn't like it.
  • For its defenders....  now that the episodes are over, the actors are coming out saying they didn’t like it. This is just the beginning is my guess.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/amp27524934/emilia-clarke-daenerys-death-game-of-thrones-interview/
    I think you should have another read of that article if you think she is saying she didn’t like the ending / final series.
  • edited May 2019
    cafcpolo said:
    For its defenders....  now that the episodes are over, the actors are coming out saying they didn’t like it. This is just the beginning is my guess.
    I think you should have another read of that article if you think she is saying she didn’t like the ending / final series.
    Whoops!
    And... this actor loved it. I was wrong, it was awesome.