Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Brown

Comments

• Options
    Brown might be a good talker, but has he actually been a success coaching wise anywhere?
  • Options
    Like Steve Brown in general a lot, but needs to talk less in my opinion. Today was incredibly tiresome, he seemed to witter on about irrelevant things which of course was not helped by a dire game, am i being harsh?
    As someone who follows our games mostly by commentary only, I find what Brown brings to the team superb. With the three guys, we now have a balance of match commentary, player stats (over the game and season), ex-player knowledge and insight, plus the banter and respect between the three of them is a joy to listen to. 
    Totally agree
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Brown might be a good talker, but has he actually been a success coaching wise anywhere?
    Not at ebbsfleet, no.
  • Options
    Personally I still think of many heroics as a player so for that reason, if no other he does me just fine on VG, besides he knows a lot more about the game than me. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Not at ebbsfleet, no.
    Got them to the Conference South Play-Off Final in his one season there and won the Kent Senior Cup
  • Options
    Brown is great, talks a lot but that is fine.  If it grates just turn the sound down.  I enjoy it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    UI cabbles said:
    It’s good to get a pro’s insight, particularly one I hold in such high regard, but it did get a bit tiresome for me today.  Of course, he’s passionate about us and wants us to do well, but I found his summarization of the fact that Ipswich will be much the happier with the point, a little too blinkered.  

It’s not just him.  As good as it is to have Scott Minto and Curbs and all these other ex pros involved in Valley pass, their contribution is a little too rose tinted for me.  

I’m grateful for them giving up their time and putting on an excellent show with the way they delve into old stories, but I’m looking forward to getting back to just watching the games from the stands
    It’s just unrealistic for official club channels to be anything more than mildly critical of the team. Rightly so too - how would you feel if you were a player or manager for Charlton and the clubs own media team were publicly tearing you a new one every week?
    My point wasn’t that they should be critical, just an opinion that I think it’s all a bit too rose tinted at times.  I’m not used to watching/listening to Valley Pass, it’s a new experience to me as it others this season.  It’s excellent, I’m grateful to the club and the people that contribute, we’re lucky to have it.  Doesn’t mean I’m going to agree with everything that gets said, regardless of someone being ex Charlton.  His commentary (Brown), is great, really insightful, I just couldn’t buy the bit at the end about Ipswich being much more the happier of the two teams to take a point.  There are other examples where Curbs has said ‘we’ve been unlucky to win’ etc during that awful run a few months back.  I get he and all the others know the game inside out, and I’m just a fan, but that doesn’t mean you have to agree with them 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Not at ebbsfleet, no.
    Got them to the Conference South Play-Off Final in his one season there and won the Kent Senior Cup
    Fair enough, never followed their results but thought he got sacked after not long there.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    If you’re watching a club channel and you’re getting upset by it being partial, then you need to get over yourself.

if you want balance find a BBC/National feed which doesn’t come from either clubs home patch
    I didn’t mention getting upset?  Just highlighting a couple of examples of commentary that I didn’t agree with.  Hardly a reason to get over myself.  I thought the post was quite balanced.  Agreed that I think it’s (Valley Pass) excellent and we’re lucky to have it.  
  • Options
    Won nearly half his games at Ebbsfleet.

https://www.soccerbase.com/managers/manager.sd?manager_id=2571

Wikipedia mentions he kept Lewes up in a relegation battle and later resigned due to a budget cut after a poor start to the new season.

He then managed Margate for 2.5 years I'm not sure how he did there and what sort of budget he had.
  • Options
    I think there's enough in Brownie's commentary for him to do a separate broadcast on tactics using examples from recent games and explaining with slow motion and arrows on the screen as on MoTD. I wish I'd had something like that to reference many years ago when I played (crap Sunday league, but still...). Would give him more time to explain things in detail and not miss the live action. He certainly knows his stuff.

• Options
    He does talk too much at times but I like his insight . He just needs to tone it down just a bit . 
    Spot on. He does ramble on but he is also very good at pointing  things out to the untrained eye. In one game, one of our players skied it high and wide from the edge of the area. My initial thought was you complete useless sh*t. Steve brown then explained that the ball was played under his feet and the player couldn’t run onto the pass to pick a spot and get any control.

He is an 8/10 every week.
  • Options
    I like it when Brownie talks about how the managers might respond to what's happening on the pitch. He makes it should like a game of chess.
  • Options
    Intelligent player, intelligent talker. I always considered his best position to be Centre Half but he didn't get the opportunity to play there enough.
    His reading of the game made the job look very simple at times, and what he lacked in pace was compensated for by his positional sense, shades of Bobby Moore at times!
    Hearing him now, it's easy to understand how he was able to read the game so well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brown seems to see things and insight that I have no idea about. I would have him sat in the stands each game giving feedback to Adkins and co each game from his lofty perspective. See a different view when high up in the gantry/ stands than pitch level and he is very good at articulating his insight.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Seems like we’re not able to offer any feedback that isn’t sunshine and rainbows without being told we’re moaning. I love Brown on comms and I think the listening experience is vastly improved for it. Greg and Tel have always been passionate and done a good job sticking to task, bringing Steve on board has elevated it to new heights.

Just saying he could be a touch more succinct at times and allow Greg/Tel to follow the build up of the next move. His tactical insight is fantastic and very much welcome but if it doesn’t fit into a sentence or two, it’s best left for half time or full time analysis.
  • Options
    I think he gives good insight, but must admit I do mute the him every now, purely because he doesn’t pause for breath and my tiny brain can’t take anymore! But he’s a Charlton man and does know his stuff. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Won nearly half his games at Ebbsfleet.

https://www.soccerbase.com/managers/manager.sd?manager_id=2571

Wikipedia mentions he kept Lewes up in a relegation battle and later resigned due to a budget cut after a poor start to the new season.

He then managed Margate for 2.5 years I'm not sure how he did there and what sort of budget he had.
    Brownie was very popular at Margate but unfortunately there were Board Room shenanigans for many years at Margate which affected budgets and continuity generally. They even had to leave Hartsdown Park for a while but that was not in Brownie's time.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    UI cabbles said:
    It’s good to get a pro’s insight, particularly one I hold in such high regard, but it did get a bit tiresome for me today.  Of course, he’s passionate about us and wants us to do well, but I found his summarization of the fact that Ipswich will be much the happier with the point, a little too blinkered.  

It’s not just him.  As good as it is to have Scott Minto and Curbs and all these other ex pros involved in Valley pass, their contribution is a little too rose tinted for me.  

I’m grateful for them giving up their time and putting on an excellent show with the way they delve into old stories, but I’m looking forward to getting back to just watching the games from the stands
    It’s just unrealistic for official club channels to be anything more than mildly critical of the team. Rightly so too - how would you feel if you were a player or manager for Charlton and the clubs own media team were publicly tearing you a new one every week?
    My point wasn’t that they should be critical, just an opinion that I think it’s all a bit too rose tinted at times.  I’m not used to watching/listening to Valley Pass, it’s a new experience to me as it others this season.  It’s excellent, I’m grateful to the club and the people that contribute, we’re lucky to have it.  Doesn’t mean I’m going to agree with everything that gets said, regardless of someone being ex Charlton.  His commentary (Brown), is great, really insightful, I just couldn’t buy the bit at the end about Ipswich being much more the happier of the two teams to take a point.  There are other examples where Curbs has said ‘we’ve been unlucky to win’ etc during that awful run a few months back.  I get he and all the others know the game inside out, and I’m just a fan, but that doesn’t mean you have to agree with them 
    "I just couldn’t buy the bit at the end about Ipswich being much more the happier of the two teams to take a point."

We were largely more in control of the game, had more shots etc and they were under a lot of pressure. They also have had a poor run of results, so i'd agree with his point of view that Ipswich are happier to leave with a point than we are.

Not sure what the problem is here?? 
  • Options
    Brown is a terrific commentator, gives proper experience And  insight instead of the faff (opnions) we hear from people like jenas and mcmanaman. 
    Really enjoy it. All commentators should be like this. 
  • Options
    I’d rather listen to Steve Brown than Lineker , Shearer et-al 
    I wonder if those two were given the space and time that Brown is whether they could be equally insightful.
    I think perhaps they could.

Curbs was often derided by some Charlton fans as being boring because of his press interview persona but people who knew him said how funny and smart he was. He clearly knew something about coaching and management.

We're now seeing much more of that side of Curbs on Valley Pass.

What Sky/BT/BBC allow commentators to say isn't always the limit of their ability.