Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views : Charlton 2-1 Nottingham Forest

Comments

• Am I the only one who thought Forest should not have felt obliged to give the ball back when Vetokele was injured (or in truth 'fatigued')? I couldn't understand why they kicked it out in the first place.

No. By the time we finally put it out, Igor had got up.
  • Further adding to my point regarding Antonio. Once we showed him down the line his left foot was so bad I was embarassed for him. If you watch solly he always shows the winger on the outside its not hard to do. Gomez did exactly that and Antonio didn't show any threat.

Antonio was still coming inside after Gomez changed to RB as he was pushing the ball in between the doubled up defenders.
    It was only when Gomez and Bulot/Cousins got tight to each other to prevent his runs in between them that we really had success in forcing him outside and that was half way through the 2nd half by the time we twigged that.

Gomez is such an exciting prospect and I hope he gets much more football before the season end.
  • jordan cousins was immense,best performance from him and made me realise even more so how important to us he is.He will be better than poyet,no doubt about it.Overall a brilliant win,on to Cardiff.COYR
  • Given that we look relatively safe, I'd play Gomez with either TBH or Johnson for the rest of the season. Other than attempting passes that are a little overly ambitious, he is playing like a seasoned pro already. Balance, pace, aerial ability, strength.. I fear that we won't have him for too long, so fair play to RD/KM for getting him to sign the longer deal. Now for Cousins, please
  • MrOneLung said:

Good stuff.

Back a manager with a squad and reap the results.

As others have said, Luzon got grief not because of what he would bring but the way he was appointed.

Roland, learn from this season and next season could be special.

Just hope he (Luzon) can keep hold of the squad he has got, maybe let a couple go and bring in a couple and you could be right next season could be quite exciting.
  • good game between 2 good on form sides, in Tony Watt we have a bit of a gem, really liking the look of us at the moment.

Called the HT subs with about 5 mins of the first half to go on twitter and thankfully I was spot on, Harriott and Wilson were being run ragged and I suspect Harriotts injury wasn't that bad but he knew he would be dragged off.

great win, onwards and upwards.
  • Antonio dumped him into those hoardings to undermine him further as he could see he was struggling against him. Ref was weak not booking him which invited Lansbury to do the same on Diarra. It is shameful to play in this way and the ref has a duty of care that he failed to show.

Three of our players were dumped into the hoardings over the course of the game and the ref did nothing. Can't remember who, but one of our defenders shielding a ball out for a goal kick was physically thrown into the hoardings and received treatment off the pitch and then allowed back on the pitch before play restarted which was odd.
  • Sponsored links:

• jonno said:

Antonio dumped him into those hoardings to undermine him further as he could see he was struggling against him. Ref was weak not booking him which invited Lansbury to do the same on Diarra. It is shameful to play in this way and the ref has a duty of care that he failed to show.

Three of our players were dumped into the hoardings over the course of the game and the ref did nothing. Can't remember who, but one of our defenders shielding a ball out for a goal kick was physically thrown into the hoardings and received treatment off the pitch and then allowed back on the pitch before play restarted which was odd.
    It was Diarra who was the one literally thrown off the pitch by Lansbury, could have been a red just for that from what I saw of it in the north lower - looked like violent conduct but the hands were kept low so he got away with it.
  • Was a bit shocked at how dirty they were. They should have had at least 1 red card, possibly 2. It seems that they thought they were just going to stroll around The Valley and walk away with 3 points. When they realised that we were up for it they didn't like it. They deserved what they got............Nothing!
  • edited March 2015

cafc-west said:

Another enjoyable night at the Valley.

A tactical game with both sides trying to pass the ball around.

Antonio is a great winger but don't Forest overuse him. So many other good players everything going out to him. Gomez will have learnt a lot tonight.

But we won a tight game where neither keeper made many saves.

Cousins immense. Our whole 1st choice back 4 missing and we still win against a good side.

Bulot a new player, Watt brings something totally different to the side. Like Fuller but fitter.

Doubt we can finish higher than 8th so now is the time to tie key players to longer contracts. Gomez, JBG, Johnson, Bulot for a start.

Isn't Bulot a loaner?
    Yup sadly so :(
    And expensive according to KM so I would not have too high hopes of keeping him...Can I be the first to say I thought he looked useful when he came on as sub v Fulham away? Yes, honestly...

Your right and wrong Weegie ?

Bulot started that match, and kept trying to get things going in a poor 1st half for the addicks.
    He got injured and taken off.
    He has now shown that he can defend as well as attack.

Anyone else think they were watching the Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey team as
    they were putting our players into the boards ?

• wmcf123 said:

Given that we look relatively safe, I'd play Gomez with either TBH or Johnson for the rest of the season. Other than attempting passes that are a little overly ambitious, he is playing like a seasoned pro already. Balance, pace, aerial ability, strength.. I fear that we won't have him for too long, so fair play to RD/KM for getting him to sign the longer deal. Now for Cousins, please

I think you have to be careful with young players, not to play them too much, especially when we don't need to play him (after TBH, Johnson and Solly are fit)
  • MrOneLung said:

Good stuff.

Back a manager with a squad and reap the results.

As others have said, Luzon got grief not because of what he would bring but the way he was appointed.

Roland, learn from this season and next season could be special.

That's just not true. Luzon got some real stick on here, Twitter and Facebook due to his reputation in Belgium as a clown. People were angry about the way he was appointed but many also questioned his ability. Some of it was well over the top.

I think the criticism was based on a desire to see someone with experience of English football considered for the job rather than someone whose cv did not inspire confidence. Let's see how the rest of the season pans out and what happens in the summer.

We are now lavishing him with praise for picking the team we had been crying out for Peeters to pick. In other words for doing the job as we saw it. He has been given some decent reinforcements with experience in England (Johnson, Diarra, Eagles) has a player return from Africa in good form for whatever reason and the squad players written off as not good enough (including Bulot) as recently as the Norwich game (that thread is now interesting reading ) now getting loads of praise. Fox anyone?

We have always been a fickle bunch. It is much nicer to read all this positive stuff than the slit my wrists and send my season ticket back tirades that followed the losing streak though ain't it. What we don't do is reasoned perspective, win or lose - we are either going down or chasing the playoffs!
  • edited March 2015
    Great performance last night by which on paper was a much weaker team.

Wilson struggled with Antonio but got hardly any help from Harriot. However saw the best and worse of Antonio great going forward but lazy getting back, good overlap by Wilson for winner. Also there were other occasions when Antonio couldn't be bothered to track back for all his pace and skill going forward we have better at Charlton.

Hope we can hang on to and maybe strengthen the squad as next year we just might be in for something special. We do need another quality back up keeper because since Henderson has been back we are a different side at the back.
  • Just a couple of points as most I would have said already long said.

Not sure Stephen Henderson is getting the credit he deserves. Last night, he once again just looked so assured and the way he came and caught or punched away the stream of high balls that came into the area must have given his defence extreme confidence. (It sure did me in the stands!) And the way he caught the corner deep into injury time was simply brilliant.

Secondly, Jordan Cousins must love playing against Forest. It was in the Forest home game early last season when he put in a barn-storming performance that made everyone sit up and realise what a good player he was. (And a new 2 and a half year contract followed days later). Last night he was immense again - shades of Kinsella or Parker at their very best. If Roland has any sense whatsoever, he should start talking about a new contract soon, otherwise he will be doing a "Poyet" at the end of next season.

Thirdly, Joe Gomez is going to be one hell of a player. Sadly, I expect not for us for too long so enjoy him while you can.

Finally. must agree those last 3 minutes were absolutely brilliant. Tony Watt, despite the few games he has played, must already be becoming potential player of the year just by the way he has roused spirits and turned this season around. And that final chorus of o-a-o-a o-a-o-a Tony Watt, Watt, Watt was absolutely deafening even in the East Stand!

All very enjoyable.
  • Antonio dumped him into those hoardings to undermine him further as he could see he was struggling against him. Ref was weak not booking him which invited Lansbury to do the same on Diarra. It is shameful to play in this way and the ref has a duty of care that he failed to show.

Just on this apart from Antonio's snide challenge and on a very serious note, did anyone else see how close Wilson's head came to the metal handrail of the steps down to the pitch?

His head missed there handrail by inches and the club H & S should have a serious look at how that area could be better screened off for player protection, that incident last night could've been far worse than it actually ended up
  • Joe Gomez - what a player, have we finally found our new Richard Rufus?
  • Luzon - I wanted 13 points from the first 10 games, he's delivered 14 in 9. Cant say fairer than that, well done to him for getting us playing good football and putting people where they play best (if anyone plays Cousins on the left again after the last few they need to leave the club). Bold decisions with early subs but clever and I like the fact he's got the balls to do it.

Cousins - Much like JBG, think he's been brilliant recently, both of them need new contracts long term. Spend some money Roly, these two can make the step up (amongst others). Throw some cash at Gomez too while you're there.

We beat a very decent side last night. Our squad at least till the end of the season is exciting. I hope we can keep hold of those that show the quality and build on it for next year. Who knows, playoffs could be within reach with a whole season of what we're seeing at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Let's not use our form to dismiss any criticism of the Duchatelet era so far. Roland still has a lot to prove. That still stands. Now, onto the match….

It was all Charlton until Forest equalised from nothing and then had a period of dominance before Watt and Wilson combined to create ours and Bulot's second, completely against the run of play. It was a game where either Charlton dominated for large periods, or Forest did. Quite an unbalanced game in that respect.

Fair play to Luzon, he got it spot on with his changes at half-time. Although they were fairly obvious changes to make, it's still a brave move to use two subs like that at half-time. I'm a fan of Wilson as a midfielder but he proved once and for all last night that he is not a Championship right back. He has zero positional discipline at the back and kept drifting inside and subsequently kept on losing Antonio and getting shown up by him every time with every attack. It's no coincidence that Forest focused on our right flank in the first half. There's no way they would have equalised had Solly been playing, or even had Gomez been out there from the start. Good to see Bikey stepping up and looked back to his best. Gomez is just different class and deserves to be starting every game now.

Harriott was awful and offered Wilson no protection whatsoever. I'm not sure if the Harriott substitution was enforced or not but it's own fault if he was injured. He should have played Wilson in who made an identical run to the one the second goal came from. Instead, Harriott, falls flat on his face. Comical. I like Harriott but he needs a loan spell away from the club to get games. I can't see him being here next season.

Cousins was the best player on the pitch last night, closely followed by Tony Watt Watt Watt, our new cult hero.

What I enjoyed most about last night, and credit to Luzon again here, is how we attacked with some very intelligent play to protect our lead. It's not rocket science but I can't remember the last time a Charlton team did that. Long may it continue.

Final word for the how weak the referee was last night at handling a cheating, dirty Forest side who looked to bend the rules at every opportunity. A stronger official would have given Lansbury a straight red for throwing Diarra into the hoardings, completely unprovoked. He then he had two more opportunities to give Lansbury a second yellow and bottled it. Worst referee I've seen at The Valley this season.
  • Nothing really to add to what has been said, except to add my praise for what appears to have been a great performance. A bit gutted that the stream on iPlayer pretty much gave up (I make no criticism - the commentary is generally absolutely fantastic so i am sure it was just a blip) so missed out on the final 15 minutes of so.
    The team seems to be really coming together now. So, as others have said, if we can put together a decent run now, then it will set us up well to push on next year.
  • The Harriot "injury" looked like sheer embarrassment from where I was sitting. Almost expected to see him with an ice-pack on his ego after the game. :smile:

Think's that's probably utter nonsense. He had a poor half but appeared to turn his ankle right over. We'll find out soon enough but why kick him while he's down?
  • A quick word on Chris Eagles....

Whilst he kept the ball well and slowed the game down, he was very reluctant to put in the hard graft defensively. Indeed there were several occasions when the right ball to the far post would have found Burke totally unmarked because Fox had understandably been drawn inside.

The same criticism could not have been levelled at Bulot who Luzon correctly noted was outstanding in both halves.
  • cafc-west said:

Another enjoyable night at the Valley.

A tactical game with both sides trying to pass the ball around.

Antonio is a great winger but don't Forest overuse him. So many other good players everything going out to him. Gomez will have learnt a lot tonight.

But we won a tight game where neither keeper made many saves.

Cousins immense. Our whole 1st choice back 4 missing and we still win against a good side.

Bulot a new player, Watt brings something totally different to the side. Like Fuller but fitter.

Doubt we can finish higher than 8th so now is the time to tie key players to longer contracts. Gomez, JBG, Johnson, Bulot for a start.

Isn't Bulot a loaner?
    Yup sadly so :(
    And expensive according to KM so I would not have too high hopes of keeping him...Can I be the first to say I thought he looked useful when he came on as sub v Fulham away? Yes, honestly...

Well, all it takes is for Roland to transfer funds from one of his bank accounts to another...
  • AshBurton said:

Joe Gomez - what a player, have we finally found our new Richard Rufus?

True, unfortunately he will probably be off in the summer....should get a few bob for him though.
  • AshBurton said:

Joe Gomez - what a player, have we finally found our new Richard Rufus?

True, unfortunately he will probably be off in the summer....should get a few bob for him though.
    No reason to sell him though, he's under contract for a decent time AND should increase in value if we keep him for another couple of years.