Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views : Charlton 2-1 Nottingham Forest

Comments

• cafc-west said:

Another enjoyable night at the Valley.

A tactical game with both sides trying to pass the ball around.

Antonio is a great winger but don't Forest overuse him. So many other good players everything going out to him. Gomez will have learnt a lot tonight.

But we won a tight game where neither keeper made many saves.

Cousins immense. Our whole 1st choice back 4 missing and we still win against a good side.

Bulot a new player, Watt brings something totally different to the side. Like Fuller but fitter.

Doubt we can finish higher than 8th so now is the time to tie key players to longer contracts. Gomez, JBG, Johnson, Bulot for a start.

Isn't Bulot a loaner?
    Yup sadly so :(
    And expensive according to KM so I would not have too high hopes of keeping him...Can I be the first to say I thought he looked useful when he came on as sub v Fulham away? Yes, honestly...

• Really enjoyed tonight - as much as I'd have loved to have steamrollered another side 3-0, there really was something to be said for coming out on top in a competitive game against a decent side.

I often hear hear people say that Dale Stephens only started performing last season when he was itching for a move - I hope now they realise how much of a disservice they were doing to Jordan Cousins. Suddenly Buyens doesn't look so disinterested, just like Jackson didn't look so anonymous in the short time they played together against Brentford. I reckon you could put me next to Jordan and I'd shine like a slightly more athletic Peter Garland.

And a special mention for Morgan Fox who I thought had a a really very good game today... OK MAYBE NOT TO LEPOINT I'D GO MAD AND RATE HIM AS HIGH AS A 5 OUT OF 10 OR NUFFINK, but very, very decent none the less.

• The Red Robin said:
    » show previous quotes
    This. We need a winger as back up at least. Bulot played well on Saturday but we all know he won't keep that up.

Where are you, mate?

Time for some humble pie? ;-)
  • cafc-west said:

Another enjoyable night at the Valley.

A tactical game with both sides trying to pass the ball around.

Antonio is a great winger but don't Forest overuse him. So many other good players everything going out to him. Gomez will have learnt a lot tonight.

But we won a tight game where neither keeper made many saves.

Cousins immense. Our whole 1st choice back 4 missing and we still win against a good side.

Bulot a new player, Watt brings something totally different to the side. Like Fuller but fitter.

Doubt we can finish higher than 8th so now is the time to tie key players to longer contracts. Gomez, JBG, Johnson, Bulot for a start.

Isn't Bulot a loaner?
    Yup sadly so :(
    And expensive according to KM so I would not have too high hopes of keeping him...Can I be the first to say I thought he looked useful when he came on as sub v Fulham away? Yes, honestly...

At this stage of the club development we need "expensive". I expect Vetokele, Gudmundsson and Buyens aren't cheap either?

My understanding of David Joyes notes in November suggested we are running to the same budgetted loss as last season. But the difference on the pitch is incredible.

I sincerely hope they decide to build on what we have for the end prize makes it all worth it.
  • It's all been said already so I'll keep it brief.

- great night, super game. Entertained and home happy

- I'm Morgan Fox's biggest critic but not so far up my own arse not to admit when the boy plays a stormer. He didn't put a foot wrong tonight, played with confidence and composure all the more credit worthy given the quality of the opposition and a new back four line up. Well played son.

- Luzon is winning me over. He looks and behaves like a care in the community competition winner but the transformation I the team in the last six weeks is phenomenal. Hats off to him. Good to see him acknowledge the covered end at the end tonight.

- Diarra was immense. Experience helped out all the young guys. We need him signed up

- Cousins is another proving me wrong. I'd always seen effort with little quality. In his correct position he has been immense.

- LePoint might just be a player.

- Watt. What more is there to say? Superb.

- Wilson and Harriott are nearing the end of the road Two troopers and proper Charlton. But just not good enough for where we appear to be headed. Thanks for the memories and good luck wherever you both end up.

Tonight was the acid test. Forest are a good side. We got three points by grinding it out with a makeshift line up but with a good and consistent shape with only one square peg in a round hole.

We are now safe. Two many teams below us for them all to get past us. Enjoy the rest of the season and get the new players signed up on proper contracts.

Happy days. What difference a few weeks make.
  • If we won every one of the 11 matches that we have left, we would finish with 78 points, which would have put us 5th last season. Now, I know it's extremely unlikely, but if you look at our next 5 fixtures:

Cardiff A
    Blackburn H
    Blackpool A
    Reading H
    Millwall A

Surely all of those are quite winnable?
  • Sponsored links:

• I know what you are saying, it is a massive long shot, but any team that has goals in it (as we now have), always has a chance of reeling off that kind of run. I think I am right in saying that for both promotion years 97/98 & 99/00, that we went on a similar run at this stage of the season?
  • When we found out it was true about the injuries, I wondered if i'd been a bit hasty saying even thou we would lose to Derby we would beat Udders and Forest.

Guy had some hard choices to make tonight, Ok he may not have got it right from the start but how many coaches would make the changes at h/t when in the lead.
    most of us watching would've but guy has not seen so many games.
    To get Bulot and Gomez to double up on Antonia shows that Luzon can think on his feet, or even when he's crouching.

After the Beautiful football against Brentford and Huddersfield,
    I thought it might be a case of after the lord mayors show, but it was great that we can play with grit and battle away to show we can win ugly if need be.

I have Been watching CAFC for a very long time now, can anyone tell me the last time we had such a showman as Tony Watt at the club, plus the boy has magic feet.

Carry on with the carnival.

Three games in a row that cafc fans have left the ground with smiles on their face.

COYR.
  • edited March 2015
    Every game from now until the end of the season looks winnable suddenly. Not saying we will, of course.

72.7 is the average points total (over the last 10 seasons) for the last play-off place. So 9 wins from 11 required minimum. :-)
  • edited March 2015
    Best final three minutes I can remember!
    Watt & Cousins were magical in that corner - really closed the game off in the most entertaining fashion.

Tony Watt fast becoming a CAFC fave and our 2nd half performance was tactically spot on.

Jordan Cousins my Man of the Match but Bulot was a very close second - not just scoring both goals, the first with a superb JBG'esque free kick, the second dropping his marker and finding enough space to take a touch and finish beautifully but his defensive contribution, doubling up with Gomez to shut out Antonio, 2nd half was immense.

Luzon read the game superbly and made the changes at half time that swung the balance back to us.
    First half, Forest were excellent at switching play which meant CAFC struggled to regain shape when not in possession, added to which the play usually ended up with Antonio having a run at us and all credit to him for a superb run & finish.

Then came the Luzon master stroke - 2nd half.
    He has stated numerous times how they are working on their shape and recovering shape, in training.
    Putting the equally quick Joe Gomez at RB to stifle Antonio with Bulot & Cousins doubling up really helped reduce Forest's play switching tactic, allowing us to recover our shape much more effectively and this better organised set up, albeit workmanlike, did the trick.

Well done the entire team.

Totally proud of our lads and Management tonight.

We look like a team who work as a team.

Thought things were going too well when we got to the Blackwall Tunnel in record time - only to reach A12 Brentwood and to find it was closed for road works!
    A small price to pay for a great evening's entertainment.

COYR!

• Anywhere to see the goals?
  • I don't know how serious the various injuries are but Luzon does seem to differ from his recent predecessors in not hesitating to rest players that have a minor knock, giving them a bit of time to recover fully; Cousins last week being a good example.

I quite like this concept, though didn't quite believe it when I saw last night's defensive line-up. He puts trust in the back-up players and that can only be good for their confidence.

Great result.
  • It seems to me that these Belgian managers pick and choose games they think they must win and put out the strongest side. We saw that with Riga last season and to some extent with Guy so far. Saturday was a must win game and tonight was a bonus with a few knocks for some players. I think he is eyeing Saturday as a winnable game. Then again I could be wrong.
  • I think he'll see all games as winnable between now and the end of the season
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought Forest were a disgrace. Well done the lads.
  • edited March 2015

Luzon has a rather deeper squad to choose from compared to any point since we got promoted since League 1. It's good that he's giving players a break, but it's somewhat easier to rest players when you have people like Eagles, Diarra and Bikey in reserve.

With a makeshift central defence (Johnson & Ben Haim missing), no Solly and no JBG, this was a severely weakened side (on paper) so this was a big test to the character of the squad.

Forest had won 5 and drawn 1 in the last 6.

Yes, they had a lot of possession but 2nd half we gave as good as we got and it showed that we are a good side at this level.

Wilson got mugged for the goal, yes, but he also made our 2nd and overall did OK.
    He got severely clattered by Antonio (into the advertising hoardings) near the end of the first half and my lad suggested that the half time change may have been because of that, or partly because of that.

The only down side was Callum Harriot who didn't have a good half and seemed unable to do anything right. Trying not to add any negatives as it was such a good, all round performance and I genuinely wish him well in recovering his mojo.
    His first touch is poor, decision making poor and as my lad said, he waits for the ball to come to him which makes him easier to defend whereas Eagles, by comparison, comes to the ball much more.

Luzon wants the lads to enjoy their football for the last 11 games so we will be attending as many games as poss - hopefully we'll see even more exciting stuff!

• edited March 2015

Antonio dumped him into those hoardings to undermine him further as he could see he was struggling against him. Ref was weak not booking him which invited Lansbury to do the same on Diarra. It is shameful to play in this way and the ref has a duty of care that he failed to show.

Their player, Fox, should probably have been sent off for an elbow - think it was on Gomez or Bulot - shocking that he got away with it.

Lansbury, to use a Manchester expression as I lived up there for 20 yrs, 'Saw his arse' for much of the game - he was feisty from the first decision that went against him and how he stayed on the pitch after the numerous nasty tackles after his booking is a mystery.
  • please please please someone post a video of the keep ball in the corner at the end enjoyed that as much as the goals.
  • Yes, he was taken off before he got sent off - I think ref should have explaining to do.
  • Am I the only one who thought Forest should not have felt obliged to give the ball back when Vetokele was injured (or in truth 'fatigued')? I couldn't understand why they kicked it out in the first place.

this - why didn't we just attack and have a shot!