Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

East Kent Addicks Meeting with KM on 26th Feb

Comments

• Ross said:

We do not openly report on meetings anymore as we feel that if people want to know what occurred they should attend. We advertise to our members of upcoming meetings, and this is also advertised on Twitter and via the club. This meeting was a members only meeting, and as such was not advertised by the club.

If those that attended want to report on the meetings then fine. But none of the committee members will do so.

We are not a secretive council. We have a strong membership in excess of 400 and have well supported meetings with current and former players many times a year, as well as Christmas and end of season dinners, and have been doing so for four years. We have also donated to the Charlton Upbeats, support the club through Valley Gold, and have donated to Dave Ramzan, a strong member of East Kent Addicks, as he participates in the London Marathon this year.

Despite the criticism that we draw on here, we will continue in this vein. We have advertised meetings on here in the past and this has not drawn in any extra members. Those on here that have attended our meetings in the past are on our database, and as such are aware of our meetings. @Addickted is one of those I believe, and so could have attended on Thursday if he was that interested in what Katrien had to say.

If those that want to criticise want to attend our meetings, then follow @EastKentAddicks on Twitter, email ekaddicks@talktalk.net to be added to our database to receive emails about meetings, or keep an eye on the official site for when meetings are announced. You may then see that we are not secretive and you may have a bloody good time.

If you do not want to attend, may I ask if you are a member of another supporters' group? If not, then maybe join one of those and attend their meetings instead of waiting for reports on here.

LOL
  • I live in Scotland but I don't expect EKA members to write up reviews of their meetings for my entertainment.

Thanks for the blog post, KHA
  • I wrote a long piece but when I pressed 'Post Comment' it said that that the post was too long. I tried to copy and past it onto several posts but that didn't work. I'm on my iPad and I want to go to sleep so I've put in on my blog at:

http://kingshilladdick.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/katrien-mieres-visit-east-kent-addicks.html

Before I get slated for trying to add hits to my blog please feel free, anyone, to copy and paste the whole thing on here. I just wanted to get it finished to stop the snide remarks about people in Kent feeling like they can keep these things to themselves.

Thanks KHA.

My guess re the Reading striker is that she is being a little disingenuous and referring to Glenn Murray the Crystal Palace player who was there on loan.

Only a guess though.
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks KHA, I have met her once and I agree she does appear to be out of her depth.

It's a pity because I think she means well, what I really can't understand is why she doesn't want to engage more with supporters.

I don't know what the set up is in Belgium but wouldn't mind betting she's been put here to learn the ropes/ make her mistakes to then be promoted to SL once she proves a success ( that's success in Roland's eyes not ours).
  • LenGlover said:

I wrote a long piece but when I pressed 'Post Comment' it said that that the post was too long. I tried to copy and past it onto several posts but that didn't work. I'm on my iPad and I want to go to sleep so I've put in on my blog at:

http://kingshilladdick.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/katrien-mieres-visit-east-kent-addicks.html

Before I get slated for trying to add hits to my blog please feel free, anyone, to copy and paste the whole thing on here. I just wanted to get it finished to stop the snide remarks about people in Kent feeling like they can keep these things to themselves.

Thanks KHA.

My guess re the Reading striker is that she is being a little disingenuous and referring to Glenn Murray the Crystal Palace player who was there on loan.

Only a guess though.
    It might be Yakubu.
  • Cheers KHA, appreciate the time you've given up to post your notes , thank you
  • Thanks KHA
  • They can do what they like - just a bit odd for a group for supporters to seem to want to be discovered rather than, er, tell a wide range of people where they're found.
  • rikofold said:

They can do what they like - just a bit odd for a group for supporters to seem to want to be discovered rather than, er, tell a wide range of people where they're found.

Well, that's personally what I'd do. It would make sense. But still.
  • Sponsored links:

• It'll be Pavel Pogrebnyak.
  • Thanks for the write up KHA. Interesting article.

Am planning on going to the Bromley meeting and hoping I can keep an open mind on KM even though all evidence, for me, seems to point at her inexperience being the main problem.
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks KHA,

Bet she wasn't impressed by the beard though. : ~ )
  • So, it seems that we (the fans) are split between different supporter groups, pro & anti Duchatalet, for or against the Trust, CL or ITTV.

We'd be amazing if we could all pull together..............
  • rikofold said:

They can do what they like - just a bit odd for a group for supporters to seem to want to be discovered rather than, er, tell a wide range of people where they're found.

Haven't they already said the meeting was advertised on their twitter feed and by email to their members?

If anyone who went wants to write up and post on a forum they can.

Maybe they have a demographic that isn't very Charlton Life.

As I said earlier, what about meetings of other groups where people are asked to keep things said in the room?

I have never been to any of these types of meetings, but think EKA are getting unnecessary grief.

• Pedro45 said:

It'll be Pavel Pogrebnyak.

That is what I thought as well.
  • Thanks for the write up KHA. I wonder what plans they have for next season regarding playing staff and if we are going for a promotion push?
    On another thought why all the nonsense about what EKA does? As you all know I cant get to any meetings or games currently and whilst I'm very interested in what was said, they have never said no-one can report it, just that they as a group decided not to. People can have different views about how they want a meeting to be or not be reported, but believe me folks life is too short to be arguing about a report or not of a meeting. Once again thanks to KHA for his account of the meeting.
  • My view is that yes we all want to know all we can, but why should a group be open? If you want to know more then join your local branch and attend meetings with people like KM, I personally am too busy with my two jobs and three kids so will not moan. Cheers KHA for the feedback, as for @Ross having met him he isn't some petty despot but actually a nice bloke. (Free EKA membership should be in the post now.......what memebrship is free you say? GRRRRRRRRR)
  • edited March 2015
    "... my over riding feeling from the evening was that she is very charming, very confident but out of her depth. That is only my view, however, and I'm not saying that she will not become the best CEO we've ever had, but right now I have several concerns about her experience and her ability to lead the club."

That is spot on, in my view. I don't know why, but Katrien took against the Trust very early on - or so It was coming back from staff - so I wouldn't be inclined to take what she says about recent correspondence very seriously. In any event, you can't divide building attendances and "strategy" in the way being implied. Every previous CEO, including in the Premier League, was centrally involved in the Target 10k/40k meetings, as was Murray in the 90s and Simons as chairman in the more modern group. She attends the operational Fans' Forum, so any idea it's beneath her status is misplaced. She is hardly busier or more important than Varney or Kavanagh were. Indeed, she does not have a comparable tier of management beneath her.

While football policy is very interesting and plays a big part in fans' judgement about whether the regime is credible, I don't think for a minute supporters would expect to influence that. So actually the discussion she is avoiding is about how to build up the business.

Frankly, if Roland intends to spend £10m on something that he couid substantially have got for nothing he can't be much of a businessman. But I am sceptical they will get what they wanted additionally through planning anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ross said:

Firstly, we had around 80 attend our meeting the other night. Our regular meetings frequent on average 50 members. How this compares to other groups I do not know. We are aware that members cannot attend all of our meetings.

Ben - we do not charge for membership as we do not feel that charging for membership would attract people to attend. We rely on our raffles to pay for our venue and raffle prize costs.

In response to AB's double quote, I presume he was referring to John's quote about meetings being open to all Charlton supporters, and then my quote about this meeting being members only. This was decided due to the guest and the current situation we find ourselves in as a club, especially following the infamous train incident. Therefore we did not want this occurrence to repeat itself at our meeting. We as a committee will not be posting reports of our meetings on Charlton Life. However, as stated, any members that attend our meetings are free to post any reports on Charlton Life as much as they like.

Some of the comments on here are openly showing why we refrain from posting on here about our meetings. We have been successful without advertising and reporting on meetings on Charlton Life and I have no doubt that we will continue to be successful.

I knew that bald twat on the train back from Watford would get us mere mortals banned from EKA meetings! That fat bastard's got a lot to answer for!!
    Morning.
    Been out of the loop fora while: What "train incident" ?
  • edited March 2015
    AB - Frankly, if Roland intends to spend £10m on something that he could substantially have got for nothing he can't be much of a businessman. But I am sceptical they will get what they wanted additionally through planning anyway.

I an beginning to wonder whether RD want's the community trust involved at SL, hence the announcement that The CACT are setting up a new project in Faversham.
  • Thank you KHA. This part made me laugh: 'Katrien arrived late due to problems with the trains.'

Doesn't have the best of luck with trains does she? She's clearly not proper Charlton.
  • I can understand EKA not advertising or reporting on here altho I don't necessarily agree.

What is also a shame in my view is that they decline to advertise it in the Trusts fans diary castrust.org/diary which is a very neutral but unifying facilty, and I hope they will reconsider at some point.

Its a shame Ashford is that far, I would like to have come and visited at least once - my bad. So perhaps I will in the future if I'm invited.

R

• Dansk_Red said:

I an beginning to wonder whether RD want's the community trust involved at SL, hence the announcement that The CACT are setting up a new project in Faversham.

I think that you are adding 2 + 2 and getting 57. Speculation as you would say : - )

CACT have similar projects at other schools (Ravens Bourne in Bromley is one) as do other football clubs. Totally unconnected with the training ground.

I was told by senior people at CACT a few months ago that they have a very good relationship with Roland.

The statement that Roland is going to pay all of the costs for the training ground development does seem very odd to me though as there was something like £4m in grants available at one time.

But I wasn't there and KHA has said that he might not have remembered all the detail.
  • edited March 2015
    HI - you are probably right.
  • Dansk_Red said:

HI - you are probably right.

probably? probably?

: - )
  • edited March 2015

Dansk_Red said:

I think that you are adding 2 + 2 and getting 57. Speculation as you would say : - )

CACT have similar projects at other schools (Ravens Bourne in Bromley is one) as do other football clubs. Totally unconnected with the training ground.

I was told by senior people at CACT a few months ago that they have a very good relationship with Roland.

The statement that Roland is going to pay all of the costs for the training ground development does seem very odd to me though as there was something like £4m in grants available at one time.

But I wasn't there and KHA has said that he might not have remembered all the detail.
    She definitely said that he would be footing the bill for it. I didn't miss that line. However she might have meant that he would be underwriting it - i.e. covering any shortfall.

She also said, and I forgot to mention this before, that part of the reason for moving it was that the new location of the building would generate more natural light due to not being so near to (I assume) trees or other buildings. With, literally, no knowledge of Sparrow's Lane I didn't, really, understand what the implications of the layout are, but I've no reason to doubt it. She also said that there would be tables outside for those that watch the games there to sit and have a cup of tea. That might, really, appeal to some so thought I should mention it.

I think she also said that the new building would house both the club and the Community Trust. there was some mention of security with expensive equipment there and large numbers of people having access, but I don't want to say too much more incase I'm not 100% accurate with what I say.

The impression was that they have a plan and it all sounds sensible - even if they don't share all of the plan with us.