Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

East Kent Addicks Meeting with KM on 26th Feb

Comments

• Firstly, we had around 80 attend our meeting the other night. Our regular meetings frequent on average 50 members. How this compares to other groups I do not know. We are aware that members cannot attend all of our meetings.

Ben - we do not charge for membership as we do not feel that charging for membership would attract people to attend. We rely on our raffles to pay for our venue and raffle prize costs.

In response to AB's double quote, I presume he was referring to John's quote about meetings being open to all Charlton supporters, and then my quote about this meeting being members only. This was decided due to the guest and the current situation we find ourselves in as a club, especially following the infamous train incident. Therefore we did not want this occurrence to repeat itself at our meeting. We as a committee will not be posting reports of our meetings on Charlton Life. However, as stated, any members that attend our meetings are free to post any reports on Charlton Life as much as they like.

Some of the comments on here are openly showing why we refrain from posting on here about our meetings. We have been successful without advertising and reporting on meetings on Charlton Life and I have no doubt that we will continue to be successful.
  • edited March 2015
    Ross said:

Firstly, we had around 80 attend our meeting the other night. Our regular meetings frequent on average 50 members. How this compares to other groups I do not know. We are aware that members cannot attend all of our meetings.

Ben - we do not charge for membership as we do not feel that charging for membership would attract people to attend. We rely on our raffles to pay for our venue and raffle prize costs.

In response to AB's double quote, I presume he was referring to John's quote about meetings being open to all Charlton supporters, and then my quote about this meeting being members only. This was decided due to the guest and the current situation we find ourselves in as a club, especially following the infamous train incident. Therefore we did not want this occurrence to repeat itself at our meeting. We as a committee will not be posting reports of our meetings on Charlton Life. However, as stated, any members that attend our meetings are free to post any reports on Charlton Life as much as they like.

Some of the comments on here are openly showing why we refrain from posting on here about our meetings. We have been successful without advertising and reporting on meetings on Charlton Life and I have no doubt that we will continue to be successful.

Thanks, Ross. I do believe the policy comes from ashfordaddickted in the main and I know that he has expounded on it to other Fans' Forum members. I don't think it's realistic or sensible, as I don't agree with him on many things, but you can run your group however you like, of course - just as others can comment on it as they see fit.
  • edited March 2015
    Why the hell wouldn't you want to tell fellow supporters snippets about our club, it makes no sense. Isn't that after all what a supporters club is all about.

By the way you may get even more turn up if you were honest and open.
  • Is there some kind of dark oath sworn - only the committee refuse to speak about the contents yet no attendees do either.
  • I believe that it is only really Bromley Addicks that advertise and report on here. I rarely see any of the other groups advertise their meetings on here?

It is bloody hard work organising meetings, getting guests to attend (even from within the club)

I guess it's up to EKA how they run the branch. I Not only advertise our meetings on here but always try and put up a report afterwards, Although Eltham Addicks has nowhere near 400 members it's something i think the people who could not attend the meeting would like to read about, it's also nice to be able to use the CL Forum to let people know about the meetings.

• Ross said:

Firstly, we had around 80 attend our meeting the other night. Our regular meetings frequent on average 50 members. How this compares to other groups I do not know. We are aware that members cannot attend all of our meetings.

I knew that bald twat on the train back from Watford would get us mere mortals banned from EKA meetings! That fat bastard's got a lot to answer for!!
  • I was there and I was made aware that I was welcome to share anything and everything that was said.

It was my birthday on Wednesday and I have had a very, very busy week both personally and at work.

For those that don't know I am also a single parent.

However, when I have time I will put something up here. For reference I would estimate that there was about 100 people there. Only a guess, so if I'm wrong don't slate me for it.

Also I thought that Katrien came across very well and many of the things she said didn't reflect well on some of the posters on here so I expect abuse, which is, probably one of the reasons I have not been willing to put off things that I need to do to share the events of the evening.
  • Thanks KHA. Happy to wait until you have time to put something up on here.

As I'm in Maidstone, perhaps we can tie up for the next East Addicks meeting?
  • I was there and I was made aware that I was welcome to share anything and everything that was said.

It was my birthday on Wednesday and I have had a very, very busy week both personally and at work.

However, when I have time I will put something up here. For reference I would estimate that there was about 100 people there. Only a guess, so if I'm wrong don't slate me for it.

Also I thought that Katrien came across very well and many of the things she said didn't reflect well on some of the posters on here so I expect abuse, which is, probably one of the reasons I have not been willing to put off things that I need to do to share the events of the evening.

"Reflect" means it comes back, things she said can only reflect back - on her - not anyone she might malign. A strange comment.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2015
    Is there a separate rule for people who live in E. Kent and who have attended meetings but then come to be considered bad eggs so that they are erased from the database? Just asking ;-)
  • It's my ball and I'm going home!
  • Gosh. Is there something in the water over that way? Touchy bunch, aren't they?
  • Uboat said:

Gosh. Is there something in the water over that way? Touchy bunch, aren't they?

Possibly something to do with the inter-breeding! :wink:
  • Is there a separate rule for people who live in E. Kent and who have attended meetings but then come to be considered bad eggs so that they are erased from the database? Just asking ;-)

Anyone might think ashfordaddickted had screened you out as a potential troublemaker... surely not!
  • Is this any different to guests asking for what is said to be kept in the room? Hasn't richard Murray pulled that one at various meetings with fans?
  • I didn't take notes and I won't pretend that I have an especially exceptional memory so I might make mistakes. In the event that anyone else who was there wants to correct me, please feel free to do so - I wont be offended.

In the event that I share something that offends someone then I apologise but there is no point it making things up or leaving things out.

I should point out that the Chairman of the EKA asked me if I was going to make notes so that I could share it all with CL. He wasn't asking in any expectation of me saying no. I thought that making notes would have been rude, and I also couldn't be bothered. As much as I don't mind sharing things, I do have a life and I tend to want to enjoy some of it so making notes wasn't something that I ever considered doing.

On the basis that the VIP meeting was video'd and put online it is clear that there is no intention to keep these things a secret. I, personally, haven't had time to watch that yet as I have been, as I've said, busy this last week.

• Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Is this any different to guests asking for what is said to be kept in the room? Hasn't richard Murray pulled that one at various meetings with fans?

To be fair, that wasn't the case here, as you will see from my ramblings, even though I couldn't get them all on one post on CL,
  • Thanks for that KHA.

That's exactly the kind of feedback that I would expect from a meeting of Charlton supporters with our CEO.

I struggle to understand why any official from East Kent Addicks could not have put this account together. It would prevent all the 'exclusive clique' accusations towards the group.

Now that's an interesting comment. Do those in question deserve a right of reply do you think? I know one thing she said involving one poster here to be factually incorrect, for example.

@Ross, I live 5 minutes from Kennington (assuming it was there again) and knew nothing about when this meeting was happening. Bit disappointed actually, not least because of my last paragraph. Your approach does seem odd, unless membership means little and retaining a clique does. Concerns over man on train types outweighing inviting supporters to come seems very strange to me.
  • I wrote a long piece but when I pressed 'Post Comment' it said that that the post was too long. I tried to copy and past it onto several posts but that didn't work. I'm on my iPad and I want to go to sleep so I've put in on my blog at:

http://kingshilladdick.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/katrien-mieres-visit-east-kent-addicks.html

Before I get slated for trying to add hits to my blog please feel free, anyone, to copy and paste the whole thing on here. I just wanted to get it finished to stop the snide remarks about people in Kent feeling like they can keep these things to themselves.

Thanks for posting. The roller coaster metaphor springs to mind. With Roland expect the unexpected.
  • Thanks KHA. I am pleased that Valley Express will still be running but it already charges £8.50. Is it going up even more?
  • rikofold said:

I was there and I was made aware that I was welcome to share anything and everything that was said.

Now that's an interesting comment. Do those in question deserve a right of reply do you think? I know one thing she said involving one poster here to be factually incorrect, for example.

@Ross, I live 5 minutes from Kennington (assuming it was there again) and knew nothing about when this meeting was happening. Bit disappointed actually, not least because of my last paragraph. Your approach does seem odd, unless membership means little and retaining a clique does. Concerns over man on train types outweighing inviting supporters to come seems very strange to me.
    The meetings are no longer at Kennington but at 'The Railway Club'.

I'm not sure why there has been a change of venue.

• edited March 2015

Thanks KHA. I am pleased that Valley Express will still be running but it already charges £8.50. Is it going up even more?

Ok, this is probably my fault. I think she said a rise of £1.50. I thought it was currently £7 so I might have got the wrong number. It might be going up to £10. I'm, really, not sure now.
  • Ok just seen you've posted your notes. Interesting reading. Can I pick up one paragraph:

There was a question about the Trust and she was very dismissive of them and said that they asked for a meeting and she asked them to meet with her development team and they said no. She gave the impression that, in her view, that meant that they didn't want to be involved with the club. she didn't say as much but she did seems completely horrified that they wouldn't get involved in helping the club. I have nothing further to add to this, and accept that I might have, completely, misread the situation.

I'm hoping she's got a little confused here. As you'll know from the Supporters' Trust's statement, she rejected any thought of dialogue as she wasn't prepared to talk strategy any further with fans. Instead, she suggested we might want to work with her Development Officer on attendances. Enough has been said about that rejection, but whilst Barnie declined personally to get involved at that level, a big part of the reason for that was that a Trust board member was already working with her Development Officer - and continues to do so. She might not have joined this up in her mind, to be generous.

Notwithstanding, It's certainly neither right nor correct to suggest the Trust doesn't want to get involved with the club, as the very email to which she refers was replying to the Trust's explicit request to get the supporter back involved in the club's planning and direction. It could not have been more clear. If she wants to constrain that involvement to something the Trust is already doing, then that's ultimately up to her - just that it's a bit odd that she then suggests they're not prepared to get involved.

To go back to Airman's comments at the public meeting, here's another example of supporter involvement being on the club's terms alone.
  • I live in Chesterfield and would appreciate some feedback of what KM actually had to say. So do you think that letting fellow Charlton fans who spend an absolute fortune travelling to matches but for obvious reasons cannot attend these meetings some feedback would constitute a breaking of he Official Secrets Act? I call it a selfish and arrogant attitude. Very poor indeed.