Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell - He Deserves a Welcome

Comments

• Options

I for one will be applauding SCP when he returns to The Valley on Saturday.

Always gave his all for our club - as a manager and player.

Had the pleasure to speak to him at the Back to the Valley dinner a year or so ago and he was a proper gent. And could sense his passion for the club. Could see why players would want to play for him and give their all.

Led our team out of League One with some fantastic memories - ones I definitely won't ever forget. And I'm sure you will all never forget in a hurry either too.

So for people to be umming and arring over whether he should be given an applause or not...take into consideration just what he has done for our club.

I don't think they are mate, just if we should be applauding the opposition manager during the game.
    Exactly, when he first steps out of that tunnel he's going to get the heroes' welcome he truly deserves, twice over - as player and as manager. But once he's standing in the away team dug out, he's the away team manager and won't have any compunction or qualms over beating us if he can - so why cheer him in that?
  • Options
    If people want to cheer for Chris Powell at any time, they can do so, if people don't like it they can drown them out.
  • Options

Greenie said:

I don't get all this powell is not a good manager comments. Such a bad manager winning the league with record points.

Hmmm we spent Cash's cash and had a squad that would have been competitive in the Championship so we should have been there or thereabouts.
    As I said he's a top fella I'll give him a cheer but he ain't exactly Curbs is he?
    Wasn't given the freedom or time to become the next Curbs was he?
    He didn't have a Championship quality squad. He had a handful of Championship quality players, among the 20 or so new ones that he had to mould into a team in pre season.

I see his limitations tactically as an ex manager, but he did a fine job in galvanising a team to both leave league 1 and stay in the Championship. Yes, Riga won matches at the end of the season, but we stayed up on the back of the team spirit that Powell fostered (something which was badly lacking under previous managers).
  • Options

Greenie said:

I don't get all this powell is not a good manager comments. Such a bad manager winning the league with record points.

Hmmm we spent Cash's cash and had a squad that would have been competitive in the Championship so we should have been there or thereabouts.
    As I said he's a top fella I'll give him a cheer but he ain't exactly Curbs is he?
    Thank Roly for that, a good decision.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2015
    wmcf123 said:

Greenie said:

He didn't have a Championship quality squad. He had a handful of Championship quality players, among the 20 or so new ones that he had to mould into a team in pre season.

I see his limitations tactically as an ex manager, but he did a fine job in galvanising a team to both leave league 1 and stay in the Championship. Yes, Riga won matches at the end of the season, but we stayed up on the back of the team spirit that Powell fostered (something which was badly lacking under previous managers).

Oh come on, fiddlesticks*, give Jose some credit. This kind of attitude is probably one of the reasons that there is any kind of conflict between fans on a guy who is a genuine CAFC legend (which of course he is). There is respecting his achievements, there is deciding how to communicate that on Saturday. And then there is flat out crawling up his backside.

I mean - saying we stayed up on the spirit Powell created whilst referring to Jose winning matches as almost a side note. What were the other reasons? Did Alex Dyer buy the blue tack that stuck the motivational notes on the dressing room wall?
  • Options
    Sacking Powell definitely helped us stay up, and I say that as a Powell fan. Under a different owner I highly doubt we would have been in the bottom three anyway. There was no way Powell was going to keep us up when he was being undermined at every opportunity by the owner.
  • Options

there's no way Powell had the ability to muster a decent run at the end of a Championship season , as if he'd ever be able to manage a decent end to a season after a crap run , nope i'm not having it no matter what

Thankfully we'll never know
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

Greenie said:

Oh come on, FFS, give Jose some credit. This kind of attitude is probably one of the reasons that there is any kind of conflict between fans on a guy who is a genuine CAFC legend (which of course he is). There is respecting his achievements, there is deciding how to communicate that on Saturday. And then there is flat out crawling up his backside.

I mean - saying we stayed up on the spirit Powell created whilst referring to Jose winning matches as almost a side note. What were the other reasons? Did Alex Dyer buy the blue tack that stuck the motivational notes on the dressing room wall?
    I barely mentioned Riga; indeed, he did a fine job. I merely feel that Powell has to take some credit for us staying up.

Don't understand your need for "FFSes" either.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    wmcf123 said:

wmcf123 said:

Greenie said:

Oh come on, FFS, give Jose some credit. This kind of attitude is probably one of the reasons that there is any kind of conflict between fans on a guy who is a genuine CAFC legend (which of course he is). There is respecting his achievements, there is deciding how to communicate that on Saturday. And then there is flat out crawling up his backside.

I barely mentioned Riga; indeed, he did a fine job. I merely feel that Powell has to take some credit for us staying up.

Don't understand your need for "FFSes" either.
    I have edited to 'fiddlesticks'.

Jokes aside, my opinion is that he was a great player. Did a great job in league 1. A great job in championship year 1. But it went wrong in year 2. Nobody is perfect - but IMO post sheff utd the dressing room looked lost and we as a club were in freefall.
  • Options
    what are we doing for Alex Dyer?
  • Options
    He will always be a legend to me and always gave 100 percent as player and manager so he will get a clap from me. Don't forget he was the one who started off the tunnel jump. Top man is Chrissy.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Stig said:

I just wanted to dispel the complete and utter nonsense that Powell was a bad manager:

Screenshot 2015-02-24 01.44.18

He'll get a very warm welcome from me.

Is that ranked by win %?

Why is Riga at the bottom?
    Yes.

All managers with less than the equivalant of a full season in charge are in a separate block at the bottom.
  • Options

I'm gonna crouch for the 90

I'm going to twerk for the 90. Well done us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

PL54 said:

Stig said:

I just wanted to dispel the complete and utter nonsense that Powell was a bad manager:

Is that ranked by win %?

Yes.

All managers with less than the equivalant of a full season in charge are in a separate block at the bottom.
    convenient
  • Options
    Addicted said:

I'm gonna crouch for the 90

I'm going to twerk for the 90. Well done us.
    Oh, so that's you that sits in front of me, is it?
  • Options
    As others have said, happy to clap him prior to the game when he walks out. Would be happy to give him a round of applause as he leaves after the final whistle. From kick off to full time I will be hoping we put 6 past them and continue our mini revival to make sure we get to 50pts asap.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Stig said:

PL54 said:

Stig said:

Is that ranked by win %?

Yes.

convenient
    Not really, I've had to waste my time explaining it to you.

I've posted previous iterations of this table a couple of times and my methodology has been entirely consistent.
  • Options
    I like the table. It's v interesting. can you correct the spelling of Les Reed please? (sorry!)
  • Options
    PL54 said:

there's no way Powell had the ability to muster a decent run at the end of a Championship season , as if he'd ever be able to manage a decent end to a season after a crap run , nope i'm not having it no matter what

Thankfully we'll never know
    We do know. 2012-13.
  • Options

When did I first realise we had a special character on our books as a player, not just a very good left back? Why, that would be when we played Derby at The Valley in Chris Powell's first season, and it would be because the Derby fans kept clapping him and chanting his name throughout the match...I'd never experienced the like of it before.

I've also just checked, and Derby beat us 2-1 that day, so cheering an oppo player didn't seem to do them any harm.

you can't be suggesting we chant his name throughout surely??
  • Options
    I will join in the clapping of him at anytime on the day. We never got a chance to say farewell to who I consider a Charlton legend & I have been a supporter for over 50 years. Still hope we thrash his side though.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

I like the table. It's v interesting. can you correct the spelling of Les Reed please? (sorry!)

Don't waste his time.

While you're there though - are DM / BR being accredited with the Watford defeat ? I thought that was widely attributed to Luzon.

EDIT - it's also e-acute in Jose (Riga) Baby.