Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Maybe, just maybe.......An alternative view point

Comments

• Franck - I bet you couldn't wait for our long awaited win to post that could you.

I think you will find that I have been consistent with my thoughts throughout the 3 months without a win. You could also say that other's are disappointed that we won, so to continue the RD witchhunt
  • Its not just how the club is being run but also how the club is seen to be run. Maybe if RD or even Katrien explained things a little better (maybe if they told us this was the plan) and showed an ounce of respect to the club and the fans. Because of the lack of communication all we have to go on is 4 managers in a year, a lot of unsuccessful network rejects and lies from the board.

I would argue there was just as many successful network 'triumphs'
    Scoham said:

Pedro45 said:

You can't really argue with your timeline...but nor can you with "We along with his staff, managers and players have been lied to, manipulated and treated with utter contempt. I would also love RD's "plan" to work, but at what cost/ Are we all plastics now? No! We have followed this club of ours (yes, ours!) for many years and do not want it to be a plaything for anyone. It has to be the heart and soul of the community, for the fans, by the fans. We have had a vision previously, now we just want it back again. RD's and KM's like it or lump it plea is a failure to recognise what makes Charlton special.

We were all excited when we were linked with the rich Yank - we would have been his 'plaything'. I prefer that RD is trying to do it the 'Right way'.
    The like it or lump it, was admittedly an error in judgement on the club's part which could have been handled differently.

Could you elaborate on the staff, managers and players being lied to, manipulated and treated with contempt?
    Would you call leaving us with just 3 senior strikers (one of which is Church) doing it "the right way"? A year after Kermorgant left we still haven't replaced him, and in January we let Tucudean go out on loan without bringing in a replacement. Watt did come in but we needed another striker before we let anyone go.

If we manage to stay up are you confident enough in RD that we won't be in the same position in a years time, battling relegation with a small and incomplete squad? Signings don't have to be £5m players, I can't believe there's not even a young affordable striker out there we could have taken on loan just to give us another option.
    3 senior strikers is a little short, I agree. Although GT was getting pelters on here so we may as well have let him go as he was never going to get a chance. We have the loan window to make up numbers. I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they want the right player at the right price.

KAG makes it 4 recognised strikers and JP could be recalled if required
    Wouldn't call any tiumphs. Some better than others yes.
    Ok then, by that way of thinking, I wouldn't call them unsuccessful as per your original post, just 'some not as good as others'
    Unsuccessful isn't the opposite of triumph.
    Ok, I concede triumph may have been over egging it. The sentiment is the same though - There have been as many successful 'rejects' as there has unsuccessful ones
  • Yes Franck, but you've waited for the first win in that period to start a thread on the issue.
  • Very true Mr Dugdale, I picked my moment.

Pre-win, there were lots of new threads started on how people have given up, how they're never going to The Valley again, how RD is the devil himself....had I have made the above points, the negativity would have consumed them.

Now, I know that 1 win means absolutely nothing....but will happy repost the above in 10 games time, regardless of opposition / result
  • Its not just how the club is being run but also how the club is seen to be run. Maybe if RD or even Katrien explained things a little better (maybe if they told us this was the plan) and showed an ounce of respect to the club and the fans. Because of the lack of communication all we have to go on is 4 managers in a year, a lot of unsuccessful network rejects and lies from the board.

Scoham said:

Pedro45 said:

You can't really argue with your timeline...but nor can you with "We along with his staff, managers and players have been lied to, manipulated and treated with utter contempt. I would also love RD's "plan" to work, but at what cost/ Are we all plastics now? No! We have followed this club of ours (yes, ours!) for many years and do not want it to be a plaything for anyone. It has to be the heart and soul of the community, for the fans, by the fans. We have had a vision previously, now we just want it back again. RD's and KM's like it or lump it plea is a failure to recognise what makes Charlton special.

We were all excited when we were linked with the rich Yank - we would have been his 'plaything'. I prefer that RD is trying to do it the 'Right way'.
    The like it or lump it, was admittedly an error in judgement on the club's part which could have been handled differently.

Could you elaborate on the staff, managers and players being lied to, manipulated and treated with contempt?
    Would you call leaving us with just 3 senior strikers (one of which is Church) doing it "the right way"? A year after Kermorgant left we still haven't replaced him, and in January we let Tucudean go out on loan without bringing in a replacement. Watt did come in but we needed another striker before we let anyone go.

If we manage to stay up are you confident enough in RD that we won't be in the same position in a years time, battling relegation with a small and incomplete squad? Signings don't have to be £5m players, I can't believe there's not even a young affordable striker out there we could have taken on loan just to give us another option.
    3 senior strikers is a little short, I agree. Although GT was getting pelters on here so we may as well have let him go as he was never going to get a chance. We have the loan window to make up numbers. I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they want the right player at the right price.

And what about next season? If we continue as we have done do you see us doing anything more than fighting relegation every year?
  • Scoham said:

Its not just how the club is being run but also how the club is seen to be run. Maybe if RD or even Katrien explained things a little better (maybe if they told us this was the plan) and showed an ounce of respect to the club and the fans. Because of the lack of communication all we have to go on is 4 managers in a year, a lot of unsuccessful network rejects and lies from the board.

Scoham said:

Pedro45 said:

And what about next season? If we continue as we have done do you see us doing anything more than fighting relegation every year?
    Next season we add another 1 / 2 / 3 players from outside the network, and a further 1 / 2 / 3 from within it.....suddenly we have 11 players that are a strong Championship side
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

Its not just how the club is being run but also how the club is seen to be run. Maybe if RD or even Katrien explained things a little better (maybe if they told us this was the plan) and showed an ounce of respect to the club and the fans. Because of the lack of communication all we have to go on is 4 managers in a year, a lot of unsuccessful network rejects and lies from the board.

Scoham said:

Pedro45 said:

Next season we add another 1 / 2 / 3 players from outside the network, and a further 1 / 2 / 3 from within it.....suddenly we have 11 players that are a strong Championship side
    All hypothetical.

Scoham said:

Pedro45 said:

Wouldn't call any tiumphs. Some better than others yes.
    Ok then, by that way of thinking, I wouldn't call them unsuccessful as per your original post, just 'some not as good as others'
    Ahahahaha. And we don't lose matches, we just have a 'less profitable success ratio over 90 minutes'.

It worked for Huddersfield!

My point being, those people in panic mode are saying that the players from the Network aren't up to it. I am saying that some are
  • vffvff
    edited February 2015

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Pedro45 said:

Comments such as adding 6 other (quality) players on evidence of activity in the Duchatelet transfer windows so far is just wishful thinking and deflection, with little to support it.

Similarly, I would like to win the Euro Millions lottery, but I'd be best off not planning too much on that, given the £2.70 and £3.30 wins I have had so far.
  • Very true Mr Dugdale, I picked my moment.

Pre-win, there were lots of new threads started on how people have given up, how they're never going to The Valley again, how RD is the devil himself....had I have made the above points, the negativity would have consumed them.

Now, I know that 1 win means absolutely nothing....but will happy repost the above in 10 games time, regardless of opposition / result

No one is calling Duchatelet the devil.

He and the management team are not people who care to share the 'master plan' with the supporters or players. It is not surprising that the evidence of many of the incompetent and ill judged football decisions lead supporters to have a negative view of the future and of Duchatelet's motives. (Supporters may also think that the plan is not being communicated because ultimately, Charlton supporters will not like it or doubt whether it will work). Who's fault is that ? I would say that stems from Duchatelet himself.
  • Franck. Yes there were a lot of negative posts before the win and yes, as you say, you have picked your moment to post.

But those negative (I prefer to label them as realistic) posts came about after 3 months without a win, a CEO being economical with the truth, the new manager fiasco Etc etc.

They weren't written after 1 defeat. Do you honestly blame fans for being fed up and, more importantly, worried about the club's future ?

I was more concerned about the clubs future under the control of MS and TJ. There was no talk of meetings (at least not to this extent).

I call them negative, you call them realistic - fine...forums are all about opinions. In your opinion, why are my 'positive' points in original post not realistic....many of them, to me, appear factual
  • As far as I can tell it is only number 3 and number 7 that are 'factual'.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

As far as I can tell it is only number 3 and number 7 that are 'factual'.

Not entirely sure why you picked those two, but hey-ho
  • seth plum said:

To Be Franck has written a reasonable opening post.
    I would also like to engage with some kind of Orwellian double think and believe we are headed towards very sunny uplands. I don't agree with the opening post, I feel battered and bewildered, dazed and confused by events since the takeover, and any part of me that can apply reason, logic, and thinking peppered with a bit of creativity still believes we are are kind of lost as a club. Yet even now a small part of me still wants to think it's going to all be OK.
    Maybe it's only like trying to get used to a reincarnation of the latest Doctor Who, but even living through seven different regimes at Charlton this time it feels really different. The only time I have felt this bleak was when we were kicked out of the Valley to Selhurst Park, and the link I make is that at that time there was even talk of a merger with Crystal Palace!!! The whole vibe reminds me of those very dark days.
    Maybe, just maybe it's going to all be OK in the morning, but for me yesterday was a blessed relief of a win as much as anything, but I was also there on Tuesday which was basically torture to the soul.

Top post Seth, I agree with every sentiment.
    As for Tuesday – It was a long way back to Norfolk with my Norwich City supporting brother in law.
    Arriving just after 1.00 a.m. very tired and fed up!!
  • Actually it may be only number 7 that is factual. Every one of the other points are open to debate.
  • vffvff
    edited February 2015
    'Club survives and management admit some network players were not up to standard. (Necessary) improvements made to The Valley'.

When has any of the Duchatelet management admitted that anything they have done has been a mistake ? Necessary improvements made to the pitch and stadium funded by selling the main striker and forward playing midfielder.

You missed out of your list.

- A clearly thin and inadequate squad produced for the demands of a championship season.
  • kentred2 said:

Great team performance yesterday with 8 players brought in by RD and with a new manager. If Luzon turns out to the manager RD thinks he is and we carry on playing this way job done. I have no interest what goes on behind the scenes just what happens on the pitch.
    IF we have turned the corner and RD has now got to grip with what the Championship is all about then there is a lot to look forward to. We have to wait and see

Another one
    To be fair @kentred2, you've hardly been prolific yourself with your 380 posts in 6 years
    most of those have been negative :wink:
  • Taxi_Lad said:

kentred2 said:

Great team performance yesterday with 8 players brought in by RD and with a new manager. If Luzon turns out to the manager RD thinks he is and we carry on playing this way job done. I have no interest what goes on behind the scenes just what happens on the pitch.
    IF we have turned the corner and RD has now got to grip with what the Championship is all about then there is a lot to look forward to. We have to wait and see

Another one
    To be fair @kentred2, you've hardly been prolific yourself with your 380 posts in 6 years
    most of those have been negative :wink:
    Things have never been this bad to post.

How many charlton comms guys joined in December?
  • Maybe we aren't giving RD enough credit. This may be an unpopular post, but worth considering. (before I get pulled up, I realise it is not strictly chronological)

1) RD takes over a financially buggered team which is struggling on the pitch, makes a change in management.
    2) RD sells top striker due to age / alleged refusal to play / wage demands and dropping value.
    3) RD brings in Network players to help with numbers.

Club survives and management admit some network players were not up to standard. (Necessary) improvements made to The Valley.

4) Players from outside of network brought in to replace those lost Vetokele, Gudmundsson, Bikey, Henderson (YK, Poyet, Dervite & Hamer) Not necessarily like for like replacements, but at least equal in (potential) quality.

5) Higher standard of Network players brought in to compliment 'permanent' squad members - TBH, GT (as you know I feel he was under rated), YB (admittedly fallen in our estimation, but was much admired at beginning of season), TW & FB.

6) GK suffers injury and 1st choice reserve takes a confidence hit. Player signed to replace first 2 keepers not good enough - Decent keeper shipped in from Network to help us through until SH return.

7) No win in 3 months, talk of player / management fallout - manager gets the sack and another one of RD's trusted 'advisors' brought in to settle the situation (as per Riga).
    8) New manager gives majority of squad game time over 1st 3 (tough) games.

9) Settled team pick up first win Vs playoff contenders 3 - 0 with the players looking more 'together' than in recent months, and with 11 players playing in their correct positions (the only time this season I have seen this, except 2nd half Vs Norwich (which we won 2-1))

10) GT not quite cutting it in the Championship - shipped out of Network, no doubt with financial gain.

??11) Next summer, more additions from outside of network.??

We all know that RD has a large personal fortune, and would love for him to spend £5m on a player here, £4m on a player there, - but this is unrealistic. I still believe that RD DOES want us to be competitive, and would love for promotion (although this is not the be all and end all).

I still believe that the 'Network' can work, admittedly it would be more successful if the difference in standards between teams were greater.

I am still very much on the fence on this one. MS and TJ were not financially able to do any of the above, yet it is the Belgiums getting stick.

I apologise if I have my rose tinted specs on, or if my head is buried in the sand, but I am still not ready to panic over the future of 'my' Charlton

I don't think you are really apologising for your rose tinted spectacled, head burrowing spin when at the same time you are accusing Charlton supporters with realistic concerns as 'panicing over the future of my charlton'.

The writing is good but blunt, I would guess that your are probably Belgium from the Network.
  • edited February 2015
    vff said:

'Club survives and management admit some network players were not up to standard. (Necessary) improvements made to The Valley'.

When has any of the Duchatelet management admitted that anything they have done has been a mistake ? Necessary improvements made to the pitch and stadium funded by selling the main striker and forward playing midfielder.

You missed out of your list.

- A clearly thin and inadequate squad produced for the demands of a championship season.

Katrien admitted they had got the recruitment wrong, I think it was the tail end of last season but may have been during the summer.
  • seth plum said:

Actually it may be only number 7 that is factual. Every one of the other points are open to debate.

The reasonings may be up for debate, but the main parts of the points, I would say are pretty accurate;

1) Did RD take over a struggling club and sack the manager?
    2) Did RD sell YK?
    3) Did RD bring in a number of players?
    4) Did we sign players from outside of the network in the summer?
    5) Are the current network players better than the last lot?
    6) Did RD bring in another GK?

7) you agree

8) Which squad members have not had game time under GL?
    9) Did we beat a team in contention for the playoffs?