Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Ath vs Brentford | Sat 14th Feb 2015 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Stomach will be tied up in knots as I walk down Floyd Road, with that horrible feeling that, somehow, we'll find a way to lose this game.
  • Another defeat and the Valley is not a happy Valley. However, pure speculation this, if we win, will the team ride on an open bus tour of Charlton?
  • Whereas I expected defeat against Boro and Norwich, I have a sneaky feeling that we will win this won, then with the added confidence will win at Wigan to give us some breathing space (before we lose at Derby).

All runs have to end sometime, I remember bottom of the table Swindon ending our record breaking winning streak in 2001...

2-0, Jackson and Watt
  • not sure we can overestimate how big this game is looking at that table now.

3 points is a must otherwise I'll fear properly for our safety
  • Why couldn't we get a loanee like Pritchard? I would be very surprised if both Johnson and Lepoint start, neither can be match-fit, I also think Solly may be rested, as he showed on Tuesday he can't play two games in a week. I would not be at all surprised to see us go with one striker, as I believe Luzon is like BP, afraid of losing, even at home. The only changes to the team that started Tuesday that I expect (but not want), Gomez for Solly, Cousins for Buyens and Harriot LM. 1-1, and just keep out of bottom three for another week. It bothers me that apart from Wigan and Blackpool, all the other clubs at the bottom seem to be able to pick up an occasional win, but not us.
  • Just read Ketts' comments about player morale with Luzon, if this is correct (knowing Ketts, I see no reason to doubt it), this is more worrying than no more loanees coming in, if the players here do not want to play for the Head coach, no way is RD going to sack him again already, so it has to be relegation.
  • If we can play for the full 90 minutes, have at least 1 player in the centre circle at oppo corners, pass to red shirts, take corners and free kicks that beat the first defender, create chances for our strikers and defend like our lives depended on it then we may have a chance.
  • I tend to agree with your thinking about the team, but there is only one thing I really want to say.................WE have to separate the management from the team Saturday, and get right behind the team whatever happens. Maximum noise please positive support for the lads. If we do that, we might just repeat the Cardiff second half. Please raise your half full glasses !
  • edited February 2015
    1-0 Charlton, genuinely think Vetokele scoring will boost his confidence and Watt scoring will hopefully make it clear play 2 and score goals?

If we go 5-3-2 We'll have more chance of winning IMO.

I'd go with

--------------Dmitrovic
    Solly---Ben Haim---Johnson---Gomez---Fox

Gudmundsson-----Jackson-----Cousins

--------------Watt----Vetokele

Lump it long, hope for the best, Long ball 1-0 is better than 0-0 or losing.

Bench
    Etheridge
    Wilson
    Bikey
    Wiggins
    Harriott
    Lepoint
    Church

(Henders back in nets if fit over Dmitrovic)

- Not a scary side no. But one that can nick the points.
  • If we're 3-0 with 20 minutes to go I'll still be expecting a point at best. Going to be a long afternoon I fear, gallows humour the only thing that will help get us through it. Fully expect us to start with one up front too... probably Church...
  • Sponsored links:

• I must be mad, but I really think we will win this and yes I ve seen 20 plus games this season and I know we are shite.

Why? Not sure, just this run cant go on for ever. The players we have can play as a team, their collective confidence is just so shot they don't.

Provided we start tight and build. Concede the first goal and we are toast, don't be fooled by brief come backs in last two games, it was luck mainly.

Charlton 1 Brentford 0

Come on its Valentines, lets feel the love.

Just remembered that we have a half wit in charge and my confidence has hit the floor
  • No idea why, but, despite all the evidence to the contrary, I have a feeling we're going to get something from this. There were so many glaringly obvious lessons to be learned from Tuesday - we should start with Watt and Vetokele up front, we need to stop marking so poorly, we need to do something about our catastrophic defending, those just for starters - that it's hard to believe that even a coach as woefully out of his depth as Guy is won't be able to fashion some sort of improvement. Add to the pot an unsettling week at Brentford and I predict a lucky 2-1 win.

If I turn up on Saturday and find that Bulot's starting again and Watt isn't then disregard the above, Charlton 0 - 4 Brentford.
  • Nicholas said:

Just as my anger was fading from Tuesday along comes the mighty Brentford. Only shining light is they seem to be run by bunch of idiots too.

The Brentford board are worried to losing Warburton to a bigger team that's why they made inquires, hence why he was 2nd or 3 favourite for QPR.

QPR are only bigger in the sense of having a richer owner who would triple his wages at least.

• I haven't got a clue!
  • MrLargo said:

No idea why, but, despite all the evidence to the contrary, I have a feeling we're going to get something from this. There were so many glaringly obvious lessons to be learned from Tuesday - we should start with Watt and Vetokele up front, we need to stop marking so poorly, we need to do something about our catastrophic defending, those just for starters - that it's hard to believe that even a coach as woefully out of his depth as Guy is won't be able to fashion some sort of improvement. Add to the pot an unsettling week at Brentford and I predict a lucky 2-1 win.

If I turn up on Saturday and find that Bulot's starting again and Watt isn't then disregard the above, Charlton 0 - 4 Brentford.

Totally agree, even sadly down to the possibility of Bulot starting. If this happens we will at least, at long last, realise that the whole thing is a wind up and RD is an agent of Palace
  • Another Luzon master plan of moving the team about, up front I wouldnt be suprised if he put solly and wiggins as our main strikers.

Dismal 0-2 defeat and we will be in bottom three...
  • Thought we had more chance of getting something Tuesday rather than this one. Been very impressed with Brentford this year.

3-1 to the bees
  • Haven't won for ages, playing a decent side
    We haven't won a game by more than one goal all season- how some can predict a two goal win is beyond me!?
  • Why would anything be different? Charlton 0, Brentford pick a number between 1 and 5.
  • edited February 2015
    Big_Bob said:

Haven't won for ages, playing a decent side
    We haven't won a game by more than one goal all season- how some can predict a two goal win is beyond me!?

Like a stopped clock .. it is right sometimes ! (Bad analogy) .. and there simply MUST come a time when we win a game .. Brentford get by on commitment and team ethos much more than they do on skill .. IF we can come close to matching Douglas, Pritchard, Gray and the other busy bees for workrate and sheer bloody mindedness ... then .. YES we can win this
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-1 draw, hows that for optimism
  • Back to being positive, comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Still can't work out why I still put myself through it every week. XI would be:

--------------Dmitrovic--------------

Solly/Gomez---TBH---Johnson---Wiggins

------Jackson/Buyens-----Cousins------

JBG----------------------------Harriott

-----------Igor-------Watt------------

Solly if he's 100% fit, Gomez if he's not. Would probably play JJ over Buyens, to give Buyens a kick up the ass if anything. Hopefully with Cousins in the middle JJ's lack of mobility wouldn't be as exposed, he still has a decent left foot and could spray the ball around if he can find a yard or two of space.

We're not getting anywhere by trying to stay compact like we did in the first half against Norwich, and it's certainly not good viewing. Would rather see us go for it and get beat!

2-1 Charlton, Watt and Igor again.
  • Missing my second home game in a row - neither by choice, but not massively disappointed.
    I love JJ, but if we start with JJ and Lepoint in centre midfield, as Stubley suggests, I suspect that might not end well.
    If Bikey doesn't play and Watt and Vetokele start I think we might get a point.
  • 1-0 Charlton, Watt

I'm bound to be rewarded for these positive predictions at some point!! COYR
  • As this is a six pointer let me start with
    Point
    1.Tony and Igor together (is the pope a catholic)
    2.Roger Johnson to prove he's not relegation Roger(we hope)
    3.Maybe the crowd should have a truce for 1 match and only cheer(me as well)
    4.Please stay at home if you want CAFC to lose (not directed at bees fans)
    5.If we have a free kick don't go backwards.
    6.Don't embarrass the fans again by making it look like a training session.

Have no idea of the score because what's between the ears of the players at mo ?

• we need to get back to basics so I'd go with this:

goalkeeper

right back
    centre back
    centre back
    left back

right mid
    centre mid
    centre mid
    left mid

striker
    forward

we'll still lose though.
  • Big_Bob said:

Haven't won for ages, playing a decent side

Because it has to happen some time. We showed signs in the second half on Tuesday that we can at least show some signs of a goal threat, and while they are a well managed team, Brentford aren't a Boro or Norwich - that Norwich starting 11 was basically a (bottom 6) PL team, and they had the likes of Jerome and Hoolahan on the bench.
  • Just watched the replay of the 1st game of the season at the Bees (email from OS) .. our team looked confident, together, there was a terrific headed goal from Vetokele .. AND we got as point .. The team, the management, everybody needs to rekindle that spirit and let's get back on the winning road
  • I have an invitation to something else on Saturday. If I go to that, this will be the first home game I shall voluntarily miss in 30 years.

Don't worry it does not count