Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Ath vs Brentford | Sat 14th Feb 2015 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic vs Brentford
3pm Kick-Off
Referee –GRAHAM SCOTT

INTRODUCTION

It’s safe to say life at The Valley at present is somewhat, depressing.

Despite it being Valentine’s Day on Saturday, the Addicks fans love for their club has become precarious with decisions on and off the pitch, affecting the mood around SE7.

It’s fair to state that a win this weekend would lift the feeling a little, but more would need to be done to win over the hearts of the Charlton faithful who are becoming increasingly frustrated with the way their club is being run.

Charlton face Brentford on Saturday and while things in South-East London have been difficult, speculation regarding the future of visiting boss Mark Warburton, has left a sense of uncertainty at Griffin Park, with Spanish manager Paco Jemez linked as a shock replacement.

THE OPPOSITION

Due to the speculation, Brentford’s fixture last Tuesday at home against Watford was always going to be a tricky affair. The Bees lost 2-1 as Odion Ighalo scored a brace for the visitors, while the hosts saw Jake Bidwell receive a straight red card meaning he will miss this Saturday’s trip to The Valley.

Despite the defeat, Brentford are still in the play-off spots in sixth place and only seven points off top-spot. If the Bees want to make sure they can stay in the play-offs, they will have to develop some consistency, starting with a valuable victory over the Addicks this weekend.

After getting promoted from League One last season as well as currently being in the play-offs, Warburton has put together a strong squad, with not too many resources.

In midfield, Tottenham-loanee Alex Pritchard is a talented asset, while upfront, Andre Gray has been fantastic for Brentford with 11 goals in the league, following his arrival from Luton last summer.

Former Addick, Alan ‘McOxo’ McCormack could play some part for the Bees this weekend, after a lengthy absence with an ankle injury. In addition, David Button should return to The Valley after his spell between the sticks in SE7 during the 2012-13 campaign.

ONE TO WATCHAlex Pritchard

My player to watch this weekend is Brentford midfielder: Alex Pritchard.

The midfielder has been one of Brentford’s most impressive performers this campaign, with many expecting the 21-year-old to eventually play his football in the Premier League.
The England Under-21 international, is a very creative player, who likes to have the ball at his feet and dominate play.

Pritchard has scored six goals in the league this season and with Charlton’s defence showing real weakness in the last few months, Brentford will be hoping that Pritchard play a key part in guiding Warburton’s side to victory.

LINE-UP

Following the defeat to Norwich, it’s likely that Roland shall change a few things for this weekend’s clash.

In goal, Marko Dmitrović should remain as Stephen Henderson still is not quite ready for first-team action.

In defence, despite his error, Chris Solly is likely to be at right-back, while Roger Johnson may be given a debut alongside Tal Ben Haim in the centre of defence, with Rhoys Wiggins at left-back.

Johann Gudmundsson should occupy the right-wing spot while Johnnie Jackson will most probably play in the middle.

Yoni Buyens could be dropped for a number of his lack of form, meaning Christophe Lepoint could be given a first start in the centre, while Jordan Cousins is likely to remain out of position on the left-side.

Up-front, following the signs of a decent partnership blossoming, Igor Vetokele and Tony Watt should start together for the first time.

Callum Harriott, Frederic Bulot and Lawrie Wilson will all be in contention too, but Milos Veljkovic is out for a lengthy period with a shoulder injury.

PREDICTION

1-0 defeat, with a number of boos for Luzon and a number of banners for Roland.

Charlton Athletic 0-1 Brentford

Comments

• I have an invitation to something else on Saturday. If I go to that, this will be the first home game I shall voluntarily miss in 30 years.
  • Still not predicting us to lose, 1-0 to the Addicks (Watt) Someone's gotta be optimistic so it might as well be me. We gotta end this funk sometime. If not Saturday then next Friday at Wigan. As Monty Python said, let's look on the bright side of life. Got two against Norwich, things are improving even though the results don't show it. Let's try and stay positive
  • 3-1 defeat and another poisonous atmosphere.
  • come on @StubleyAddick like Luzon or RD would have the common sense to start Igor and Watt together
  • The footballing Giants of Brentford come to SE7 and the majority of the footballing world would call it a shock if we get a point , we must be shit

Thinking of taking my 4 nearly 5 year old to his debut game , he has a good sense of humour and he'll need it at the worlds saddest joke of a club

2-2 or 3-2 to The Addicks and Roland can do no wrong brigade can say I knew this was a great idea of his (freaks)
  • Please play

Henderson (if fit)/Dmitrovic, Solly, Ben Haim, Gomez, Wiggins, gudmunsson, Cousins, Jackson, Harriott, Watt, Vetokele
  • edited February 2015
    No, confidence, no belief, no heart, no collective team spirit= Our biggest home defeat so far this season. 1.4 to an exciting, free-flowing Brentford team.
  • Expect to hear.

'were we really expecting to get anything from the mighty brentford at home'

I think we will get a 1-1 draw and street party's will sweep through south London in celebration.
  • Johnson in for Bikey is a must.

• Sponsored links:

• Just as my anger was fading from Tuesday along comes the mighty Brentford. Only shining light is they seem to be run by bunch of idiots too.
  • I'm just waiting for Church and Harriott to start up front with Igor and Watt both benched, oh could you imagine the fun we'd have with that?!
  • As decent as Brentford have been all season, I refuse to believe a team containing Mcoxo and Button stand a chance.

We have found our scoring form and Johnson to tighten our defence, comfy 3-0 win for us.
  • No hope as long as Luzer is in charge. Barring a miracle, another away win for the Bees.
  • Henderson (if fit)/Dmitrovic
    Gomez - Ben Haim - Johnson - Wiggins
    Cousins - Jackson/Boyens
    Gudmunsson
    Harriet - Watt - Vetokele

However, unless Brentford are really bothered by their off-field shenanigans, I can't see anything but another defeat no matter how we lineup.
  • I really fancy us to win this, 2-1. Watt and Vetokele to repeat Tuesday's feat.
  • They're a real quality side and play some lovely football. Not a chance. Another defeat.
  • edited February 2015
    If Luzon learns and sticks with V&W up front and Cousins in the middle. Maybe bring in Johnson to replace Bikey and I think Solly needs a rest - so maybe Wilson or Gomez at RB. Then I really do think we could start a turnaround. 2-0. Need some of the Cardiff and Norwich second-half 'drive'. Yes - 'glass half full'.
  • As well as crap we are gutless. Therefore 2-0 Brentford I reckon.

I have a rare chance to watch a decent game of football as I'll instead be at Club Brugge v Lokeren.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015
    Brentford is one of the weakest amongst the promotion/play off contenders and will be without, one, possibly two regular defenders on Saturday through injury and suspension.
    We don't know how much the much publicised imminent replacement of the popular Warburton will have affected the players, if at all.
    Brentford are good in midfield and pacey up front but nothing exceptional. A terrific team spirit and working hard is the team's real strength. They are beatable and it's about time we beat somebody. Depending on the team that the seemingly hopeless Luzon selects, we are capable of winning this one. I would like to see changes in central defence but I don't think that it will happen.
    Luzon's Lovely Boys for Saturday ? :No Bulot, two up front from the start, we'll win this:

Dmitrovic .. Solly. Ben Haim. Bikey. Wiggins .. G'sson. Buyens. Jackson. Cousins .. Vetokele. Watt

CAFC 2 v Brentford 1
  • The trap door opens a bit wider 0-1
  • Away banker.
  • Have hogged the ticket 'sharing' of late and got rightly pulled up on it post Rotherham when I rolled in at 10pm. Looking to split the next two home games I plumped for Narridge as I could handle getting beat by them if we did.

The thought of getting Big Brothered by Brentford was potentially too much to take. Brentford marching on, looking down on little ol Charlton the way we historically have patronisingly looked down to them and Orient. Brentford FFS!!! Enjoy Mrs AFKA
  • Johnson Rogers the Bees - 3 - 2 to the Addicks

Marko

Gomez (Luzon has only just found out about Solly's knees) Johnson TBH Wiggins

JBG Cousins Jacko Harriot

Watt Igor

Luzon does a cossack dance instead of tunnel jump
  • edited February 2015
    They are nothing special. Neither are we obviously but at least we are scoring now and have more chance of beating them than we did Norwich imo.

Hopefully play with a bit more belief and start positive. One of the most winnable home fixtures remaining so would be a big win.

Dmitrovic
    Gomez Johnson TBH Wiggins
    JBG LePoint Cousins Harriott
    Vetokele Watt

2-1 Charlton.
  • Have hogged the ticket 'sharing' of late and got rightly pulled up on it post Rotherham when I rolled in at 10pm. Looking to split the next two home games I plumped for Narridge as I could handle getting beat by them if we did.

The thought of getting Big Brothered by Brentford was potentially too much to take. Brentford marching on, looking down on little ol Charlton the way we historically have patronisingly looked down to them and Orient. Brentford FFS!!! Enjoy Mrs AFKA

At least one "proper Charlton" fan at the game then to see our victory then : - )
  • The only question is the extent to which Brentford have been destabilised by the Warburton stuff this week. If they are on their game they will rip us a new one as we are shattered confidence wise. I can see a significant loss by two or three goals. If we pick the right team, the guys have their game heads on and Brentford are a bit off we might get something but its a tall order. Atmosphere will be totally poisonous if we are crap again.
  • Three points for us. We will win either 1-0 or 3-1. I think Tuesday night was the straw which broke the camels back.
  • We need a win in this one. Millwall have been good away from home recently and their new signings are settling in well (funny that Roland) and are away at Leeds this weekend. I think they'll get something there. I wouldn't expect Brighton to get anything at Sheffield Wednesday, Rotherham have got Derby and Wigan are away at Reading. A good chance to open up a bit of a gap ahead of the Wigan away game.