Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jordan Cousins

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2015

For the record I've never rated him as a centre midfielder, as said above I hope I'm proved wrong, I think he got POTY because of his endeavour, work rate and the fact he's one of our own.
    Game of opinions.

God yeah lets have a bunch of players with zero workrate (Almost a team of Bouazza's) and see how well we do then!!
    Where did it say I wanted a team of players with zero workrate? I've scrolled back pages now and still can't see it?

Would just like workrate, coupled with some footballing ability, of which I'm yet to see consistently with JC in midfield, seen it perhaps one in every 7 or 8 games that's as far as I'd go.
  • Options

Can't believe some of you he is class we don't deserve him. Gives it all

Same people that were saying Jacksons legs were gone last year
    Same people who see Cousins as the answer to our prayers in midfield are the same people that rated Thierry Racon..
  • Options

Same people who see Cousins as the answer to our prayers in midfield are the same people that rated Thierry Racon..
    Not quite sure it's the same thing. Cousins has been part of a Charlton team that has kept its head above water despite lack of investment and he's done it all while being a very young player. He's still only 21. Therry Racon was part of a relegation Championship squad and then part of a squad that couldn't get back up into the Championship. We get that you don't rate Cousins for some reason but come on now
  • Options

Not quite sure it's the same thing. Cousins has been part of a Charlton team that has kept its head above water despite lack of investment and he's done it all while being a very young player. He's still only 21. Therry Racon was part of a relegation Championship squad and then part of a squad that couldn't get back up into the Championship. We get that you don't rate Cousins for some reason but come on now
    I know it's not the same, just the above posted generalised by saying those who don't like Jackson are the same who don't like Cousins, which isn't the case I'm pro JJ.
  • Options

Jordan is still young and has been a stalwart for us even at his young age. His performances have dipped a bit and I think he deserves a rest and being taken out of the pressure cooker where he has very ably shouldered responsibility beyond his years and experience. I'm certain he will come back all the better for not being automatic first choice for a while. He's a hell of a young player.

Spot on...

• Options
    This is an unpopular opinion but Jordan Cousins has arguably been one of our worst players this season, yet he keeps starting every game, why has he never been dropped???
  • Options

This is an unpopular opinion but Jordan Cousins has arguably been one of our worst players this season, yet he keeps starting every game, why has he never been dropped???

Because Kashi has been injured, Diarra forced to play in defence much of the time, and Ba (apart from the odd game) worse.
  • Options
    Central midfield is where we most desperately need a signing, with the Kashi injury and Cousins' form
  • Options
    Unless George Lapslie turns out to be brilliant, which isn't unlikely given our recent run of youth teamers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stand by my opinion a few months ago he's not good enough for the championship in CM at this moment in time.
  • Options

JC may have played 100 games but I can't ever remember him really dominating the midfield position. Unfortunately his first touch isn't great and his passing in close or longer is inconsistent. Whilst I wouldn't doubt his energy unfortunately his lack of positional sense means despite his work rate he rarely influences the game in a way I once thought he would.

However I believe a return to RB would benefit him and us and allow Solly to rest when needed.

Were you at the home game against Forest last season? Magnificent performance from him.

Always believed he was as good as Poyet, but needs to be in the right system to shine.

Although not the same type of player, this criticism of Cousins reminds me of how people slagged off Dale Stephens. And look at him now....

People should not forget that good players can look crap in crap teams.
  • Options
    Well a rest would be good, yeah, but he's got great fitness and at this moment we can't afford to drop him for that reason.
  • Options

JC may have played 100 games but I can't ever remember him really dominating the midfield position. Unfortunately his first touch isn't great and his passing in close or longer is inconsistent. Whilst I wouldn't doubt his energy unfortunately his lack of positional sense means despite his work rate he rarely influences the game in a way I once thought he would.

However I believe a return to RB would benefit him and us and allow Solly to rest when needed.

I liked the way he filled in at RB when Solly went forward, that was clearly something they trained at
  • Options

Were you at the home game against Forest last season? Magnificent performance from him.

Always believed he was as good as Poyet, but needs to be in the right system to shine.

Although not the same type of player, this criticism of Cousins reminds me of how people slagged off Dale Stephens. And look at him now....

Yes, I think that proves my point you have picked a game from last season to reference when he last played really well. Also Poyet was behind a 16 year kid at West Ham and is not a measure that supports your argument, he's poor and also doesn't influence matches.

The correct system for JC is one that plays him at right back and theres no shame in that.

Don't forget young Lookman is a good player, playing very well in a crap team.
  • Options

Well a rest would be good, yeah, but he's got great fitness and at this moment we can't afford to drop him for that reason.

I definitely feel young Jordan would profit from a place on the bench before too long, when we have Diarra back in midfield.

For me, he's a player who has Charlton written on his heart and hates to miss a game but how many has he played without a break ? We forget he's still a young player......

And I noticed that young Mr Poyet was only on the bench for MKDons this afternoon !

• Options
    The kid probably needs a break, problem is with Paddy suspended and Kashi suspended we don't have options. The Hull game where he played right back, he had to move into centre midfield as RCC was slightly out his depth which tells me he probably isn't ready.
  • Options

Yes, I think that proves my point you have picked a game from last season to reference when he last played really well. Also Poyet was behind a 16 year kid at West Ham and is not a measure that supports your argument, he's poor and also doesn't influence matches.

The correct system for JC is one that plays him at right back and theres no shame in that.

Just answering your initial question about you not being able to remember him having ever dominated a game. I only go to home games with the odd away, but can say he definitely dominated that Forest game brilliantly. As for playing that well since, maybe not to that level, but since the back end of last season I haven't seen many performances from the whole team that have been particularly good enough.

The point about Poyet is that he was from the same academy class/generation. Personally I always felt Cousins had just as much potential, even though Poyet got the move to the premiership. And it was only last summer Cousins also had premier clubs sniffing around him.

I'm sure he could play right back, but I don't feel that is a reason to give up on him in the middle after a patch where he has not been able to shine, be it down to form of him and the team, constant tactical and managerial changes, as well as injuries to players around him. Let's face it, playing right back or left wing (Lookman) is a lot more straight forward tactically than centre midfield.

For me, Cousins is just another reason/example of why the club needs an experienced Paul Lambert type manager who can manage him properly and bring him and the team on to the next level, but the powers that be don't seem to want this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very little help from his fellow midfielders yesterday
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Unfortunately JC is a victim of circumstance having been asked to fill in at a number of positions throughout his short first team career at a very young age. He is every Manager / Coach's dream, versatile, willing to put in a shift wherever he is asked to play and with a great engine.

He has been selected to represent his country regularly at youth level and most recently at u20 so 'proper' football people must see something in him. Fatigue could be taking it's toll and it would be nice to be able to rest him but we haven't got that luxury. Go easy on him because his dip in performances are not all of his making and he will always give his all for the shirt of the team he supported as a boy.

Says it all for me.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Unfortunately JC is a victim of circumstance having been asked to fill in at a number of positions throughout his short first team career at a very young age. He is every Manager / Coach's dream, versatile, willing to put in a shift wherever he is asked to play and with a great engine.

He has been selected to represent his country regularly at youth level and most recently at u20 so 'proper' football people must see something in him. Fatigue could be taking it's toll and it would be nice to be able to rest him but we haven't got that luxury. Go easy on him because his dip in performances are not all of his making and he will always give his all for the shirt of the team he supported as a boy.

thought jordan was a gooner?
  • Options

Just answering your initial question about you not being able to remember him having ever dominated a game. I only go to home games with the odd away, but can say he definitely dominated that Forest game brilliantly. As for playing that well since, maybe not to that level, but since the back end of last season I haven't seen many performances from the whole team that have been particularly good enough.

The point about Poyet is that he was from the same academy class/generation. Personally I always felt Cousins had just as much potential, even though Poyet got the move to the premiership. And it was only last summer Cousins also had premier clubs sniffing around him.

I'm sure he could play right back, but I don't feel that is a reason to give up on him in the middle after a patch where he has not been able to shine, be it down to form of him and the team, constant tactical and managerial changes, as well as injuries to players around him. Let's face it, playing right back or left wing (Lookman) is a lot more straight forward tactically than centre midfield.

For me, Cousins is just another reason/example of why the club needs an experienced Paul Lambert type manager who can manage him properly and bring him and the team on to the next level, but the powers that be don't seem to want this.
    To me Poyet had that class about him which Cousins doesn't have, the first touch and vision that great players have, and which is rare in the English game.

Which isn't to say that Poyet will be a better player, as all sorts of other things come into it.
  • Options
    Stand by my opinion that I don't really know what he offers the team apart from pure running. First touch is weak, gives the ball away a lot and isn't as physical as some make out.

His full debut against Forest a couple of seasons ago he looked incredible, but thats the best game I've seen him have for us.

And no I didn't slag off the likes of Dale Stephens - who is by far a better player.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

thought jordan was a gooner?
    I stand corrected, he was up until the age of 13 but after his father approached Steve Gritt for a trial and the rest is history, I reckon he qualifies as a fan of the Addicks from that day on :wink:
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I can't see how you can give Jordan stick, he fills in where needed bit like Charltons version of Phil Neville , and always gives his all.

Sure he's not had a couple of great games recently, but given the pressure him and the team have been under with management changes, its to be expected.

I'm sure he will bounce back to his best , for me i wouldn't persist with him on the left handside of midfield, its probably the fact that managers appreciate his work rate, and they know that area is currently a problem area, and he just gets on with it.

I actually liked him when he filled in for Solly recently at right back, it would be interesting to hear Jason Euell's perspective on Jordan.

When JC first came to our attention in the U16/U18's etc and playing for England age groups, my recollection is that he was a right back. He has been ill served by a succession of managers sticking him out left apparently just so they can select him but since he's been back in the middle we can all plainly see how compromised he is as a footballer at this level. I'm astonished he hasn't suffered a major knee or ankle injury, he flies into tackles, completely off balance, body shape all wrong, rarely if ever wins the ball and usually ends up on his arse. My girlfriend likens him to Bambi on ice, if Bambi has just had a pint of red bull. He must lack core strength or have a minor inner ear problem he just can't seem to get his two feet positioned squarely underneath him, he's always flailing his arms around, slipping and sitting down. That's why he's so easily shrugged off the ball. I can't fault his effort, work rate, commitment etc it's just that there has been so little positive output from him. Maybe if he reverted to right back so his field of activity is narrower and most of the game plays out in front of him rather than all around he would find it easier to focus and get his feet sorted out, he'd have to work hard on his tackling and crossing tho. I wanna like him for his good attributes but his shortcomings tip the balance for me. When Bauer is back from suspension and barring further injuries elsewhere he will be the one to drop to the bench because Jackson, Diarra and Lennon are much better at their respective roles and I don't see Fraeye/Euell having the cojones to drop the workshy lightweight thorough coward JBG
  • Options
    Erm no, if you look over the forum you'll find that most of our players are getting stick actually.