Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trust Calls Public Meeting of Fans - Woolwich Grand Theatre – Wed 18th Feb 7.30pm

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Working in London around the dates of the meeting so will make it. So encouraging that the fans are taking action in this measured way. The dream is to form a fan backed club, with fans on the board. Whether that can ever be an attainable reality, I don't know. But it's the only way for clubs like ours to truly strive IMHO.
  • sammy391 said:

the 'football for a fiver' game will be a massive telling on what the fans and the public think of what's happening , whether we sell out or not is anyone's guess!

I don't think there's much chance of it selling out.
  • Can't see it even getting anywhere near even 20k despite footy for a fiver and Chrissy P's homecoming. People just aren't bothered, that's part of the general malaise many are talking about. Whether the heart is being ripped out if the club or not, the fact is it's a bore and for me at least, a chore to Attend Games Right Now. VIVE LE REVOLUTION!
  • What's all this stuff about Luzon's training methods?
  • Sorry to hear that , RM. I was hoping you'd do a "meeting thread" live from the venue...
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry you can't be there RM, agree with your post, but didn't want to "like" in case it seemed I liked the fact you couldn't come.
  • Can't see it even getting anywhere near even 20k despite footy for a fiver and Chrissy P's homecoming. People just aren't bothered, that's part of the general malaise many are talking about. Whether the heart is being ripped out if the club or not, the fact is it's a bore and for me at least, a chore to Attend Games Right Now. VIVE LE REVOLUTION!

Agreed, it won't sell out, but providing the effort has been made to market it beyond the normal fan base it should still get to 20,000 because it attracts a tranche of people who are not supporters and won't be plugged in to developments.
  • Well @Taxi_Lad there were just 11,000 through the turnstiles on Saturday for a Saturday game that could have took us to 12th in the championship. When we were relegated from this division 6 years ago we averaged 21,000. Three years in league one we averaged 17.6. 15.6 and 17.4.

The alarm bells shouldn't just be that people with 20, 30, 40, 50 years support are saying on here they think they have reached the end of the line due to a multitude of reasons surrounding the club / spitting their toys out of the pram (however you want to interpret it), it should also be that thousands have already walked away.

Whilst understanding the point you're making the examples are using different criteria eg turnstile count/tickets sold. Not that I agree but one could counter argue that all the doom and gloom about has resulted in us averaging 16.4k this season which is only just over 1k less than our multi record breaking championship winning season when we were giving away many more freebies and (it seemed) more football for a fiver matches.
    One could also say 6 years prior to your 21,000 ave example we averaged over 26k so when did it really start?
  • Has a date/venue been decided yet for this meeting ? If not when will that be ?
  • edited February 2015

Well @Taxi_Lad there were just 11,000 through the turnstiles on Saturday for a Saturday game that could have took us to 12th in the championship. When we were relegated from this division 6 years ago we averaged 21,000. Three years in league one we averaged 17.6. 15.6 and 17.4.

The alarm bells shouldn't just be that people with 20, 30, 40, 50 years support are saying on here they think they have reached the end of the line due to a multitude of reasons surrounding the club / spitting their toys out of the pram (however you want to interpret it), it should also be that thousands have already walked away.

Whilst understanding the point you're making the examples are using different criteria eg turnstile count/tickets sold. Not that I agree but one could counter argue that all the doom and gloom about has resulted in us averaging 16.4k this season which is only just over 1k less than our multi record breaking championship winning season when we were giving away many more freebies and (it seemed) more football for a fiver matches.
    One could also say 6 years prior to your 21,000 ave example we averaged over 26k so when did it really start?
    Complex subject - although you are correct that AFKA's comparison is not like for like. In 2011/12 there were two Football for a Fiver matches and a deal on Hartlepool, plus various smaller price offers. However away support is a big issue. It usually averages 1,500 in the Championship and was only about 600 in League One in 2011/12.

I have the turnstile count figures for 2011/12 but not to hand. Off the top of my head there were probably 14,000 in the ground on average, which allowing for the differential in away fans is a 4,000 decline to 11,000, but this will not be the average. The gap between the announced gate and the turnstile count - not itself completely reliable - will vary from match to match.
  • Spanish said:

Has a date/venue been decided yet for this meeting ? If not when will that be ?

Hopefully an announcement today.
  • Duff managers can be appointed eg Dowie but the intention when appointed was to advance Charlton. ( or maybe a bit of Murray getting on over Jordan)

Indeed! A perfect example of what happens when a manager is appointed for the wrong reasons!
  • Will there be cake?
  • scidbox said:

Will there be cake?

Not unless you want to bring one along fellow.?
    Not sure there will be a 'vegetarian option' as well.....

Would you like to help out on the event?..... I am sure we will need some people to help out.

• scidbox said:

Will there be cake?

Now that might appeal to our very own Marie Antoinette

Let them eat cake, they will just have to accept it

I offer my services for a bit of home baking if needed, just down blame me if you get a bit drowsy
  • Sponsored links:

• Let them eat Belgian Bun..

• ..... I think we all agree that RD does not appear to be running the club in the way we as CAFC expect or want. The appointment of Luzon is a prime example, he has been appointed to suit RDs circumstances not the best interests of Charlton.....

I appreciate that I appear to be in a very small minority and that the non-communicative stance taken by the Club is both unhelpful and stupid but, amongst all the heat generated and vitriole vented in multiple threads on this forum, particularly since Luzon's appointment, I have seen not a shred of hard evidence that "suiting RDs circumstances" and the best interests of Charlton (at least in terms of long-term success on the pitch) are mutually incompatible or that Luzon's appointment was driven by anything other than RD's sincere view (whether astute or misguided, we need more than 2 games to determine) of the best appointment for preserving CAFC's league status.
    I support the planned meeting but I strongly urge you not to take steps which seek to damage the finances of the Club. If you want a change of ownership, an ST boycott or the like will do little to disrupt RD's plans or hurt his wallet but could easily serve to deter prospective buyers.
    Whatever it takes to get new owners
  • Just a thought and if its been covered already I do apologise. Will their be any communication with local media such as BBC London, maybe even Sky Sports News to cover this. It seems there was quite a media interest in the battle for the valley, and especially if we end up with a lot of fans outside the venue, we would make a lot of noise and some coverage will put the spotlight on RD, something he would not want.
  • It won't be a ST boycott, it will be fans deciding they have better things to do on a Saturday. The reality is that different fans have different levels of commitment.
  • In today's newspapers.

The Kuwaiti owner sacked City Ground favourite Stuart Pearce and replaced him with Dougie Freedman at the weekend.
    Chief executive Paul Faulkner then quit while Forest are on a full transfer embargo for failing
    Supporters have reacted angrily but Al Hasawi has had enough. He responded to Twitter comments asking if he will ever walk away by claiming: "I will soon from everything."
    Al Hasawi is also considering suing fans who have abused him according to close friend Emad Alqahtani, who said: "We now have all the accounts that did swear to him and abused him for a week all captured and ready to take legal action.
    "It's hard to know what goes on his mind these days but trust me on this one. The guy is so damn upset from the abuse he got from many."

Not as hard as RD then.
  • kentred2 said:

..... I think we all agree that RD does not appear to be running the club in the way we as CAFC expect or want. The appointment of Luzon is a prime example, he has been appointed to suit RDs circumstances not the best interests of Charlton.....

I appreciate that I appear to be in a very small minority and that the non-communicative stance taken by the Club is both unhelpful and stupid but, amongst all the heat generated and vitriole vented in multiple threads on this forum, particularly since Luzon's appointment, I have seen not a shred of hard evidence that "suiting RDs circumstances" and the best interests of Charlton (at least in terms of long-term success on the pitch) are mutually incompatible or that Luzon's appointment was driven by anything other than RD's sincere view (whether astute or misguided, we need more than 2 games to determine) of the best appointment for preserving CAFC's league status.
    I support the planned meeting but I strongly urge you not to take steps which seek to damage the finances of the Club. If you want a change of ownership, an ST boycott or the like will do little to disrupt RD's plans or hurt his wallet but could easily serve to deter prospective buyers.
    Is that any new owners? Maybe the chuckle brothers can buy it back at a knock-down price?

I've been in the 'wait and see' camp ever since RD took over - but even I am now having feelings of concern. What we can realistically do about it is another matter and I would use the words of caution 'be careful what you wish for'.
  • last two posts are spot on. how do we know any other owner would be better? would you want a new owner who sees £££ signs in The Valley and moves us to the Peninsula or elsewhere? imo we are in general, definately financially, in a better state under RD than we were under the Two Spivs.
  • kentred2 said:

..... I think we all agree that RD does not appear to be running the club in the way we as CAFC expect or want. The appointment of Luzon is a prime example, he has been appointed to suit RDs circumstances not the best interests of Charlton.....

Be careful what you wish for. Lower ticket revenues are most unlikely to force RD to sell but, even if they did, the more the finances of the Club have been damaged (and I accept that that may occur irrespective of any ST boycott) the more likely it is that the main (but undisclosed) interest of a buyer would be in the real estate. If we had a wealthy genuine fan interested in a takeover he'd surely have surfaced over the past few years. Sadly, there are likely to be many more Slater & Jimenezs, Hulyers and Sunleys out there than Murrays - but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.
    We must have been typing at the same time - great minds and all that!!