Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shameful Antics With Away Support

I have had the weekend to mull over this now, but I have to say the vile behaviour of some of our supporters at Watford on Saturday was nothing short of shocking. It is the first time in about a year I have gone to an away match and was accompanied by my young nephew. I am all for the friendly banter between fans that make the away day special, but when it comes to the abuse of young ball boys and women from the home section being verbally abused as they leave I can honestly say that I feel ashamed to be a supporter of the club.

Comments

• That's what happens when the tickets are cheap - more riff-raff with more money to spend on lager.
  • I have had the weekend to mull over this now, but I have to say the vile behaviour of some of our supporters at Watford on Saturday was nothing short of shocking. It is the first time in about a year I have gone to an away match and was accompanied by my young nephew. I am all for the friendly banter between fans that make the away day special, but when it comes to the abuse of young ball boys and women from the home section being verbally abused as they leave I can honestly say that I feel ashamed to be a supporter of the club.

Endemic part of football I am afraid. I am sure every football club has there fans which are like it.

I am honestly not sure what can be done about it. Due to booze and pack mentality I feel it's always going to happen.
  • I had this at Bournemouth last year; a group of about 20 fans who were a mixture of high and pissed. Sadly the attitude that it is just "part of the game" is the big problem
  • The confrontation on the train I have seen the video, all a bit sad IMO, but the fans behaviour if its such a problem complain to the club who can actually do something about it instead of complaining on a forum ( which happens after a lot of big attendance away games ).
  • wmcf123 said:

I had this at Bournemouth last year; a group of about 20 fans who were a mixture of high and pissed. Sadly the attitude that it is just "part of the game" is the big problem

I expect the same group of fans who think players are not showing 'passion' by running around like headless chickens, probably think unless you sink about 7 pints before a game and headbutt a ball boy you're not a real fan.

In all seriousness, I think you have to understand it's genuinely a small amount of fans who act like this. The vast majority of fans can be passionate supporters without causing any trouble/offence.
    Headbutt a ballboy? I could never stoop to their level.

In all seriousness it isn't good but it is definite progress on the chants of 20 to 30 years ago.
  • edited January 2015
    cafcfan said:

That's what happens when the tickets are cheap - more riff-raff with more money to spend on lager.

Not to mention a lot of the ageing fan base all piling over to Watford on their Freedom passes. :-0
  • Sponsored links:

• I go to far fewer away games these days, partly due to the moron element. Their antics at the Fulham FA cup game a few years back were particularly unpleasant. I know Danny Murphy is kind of a dick but that was not on.
  • Missed It said:

I go to far fewer away games these days, partly due to the moron element. Their antics at the Fulham FA cup game a few years back were particularly unpleasant. I know Danny Murphy is kind of a dick but that was not on.

You cant judge normal away day fans with Fulham. People turned up for that who have never been to an away game before and prob not since.
  • Granpa said:

I was not at the game, but I understand that someone confronted Katrien on the train after the game, an indication that like every other Club we have our share of idiots.

He is far from "an idiot" he is passionate about CAFC, travels miles and just happened to be my passenger up to Grimsby and back for that Friday game. Passion doesn't mean idiot. If the players showed some of that passion I am sure we would not have called them all idiots. Posted without reading thread.

• I personally enjoyed 'she's got chlamydia' chant
  • this thread might go almost as well as the match did
  • Sponsored links:

• I have no problem with the normal away fan but I don't go to the long distance games anymore that usually weeds the idiots out.

So, maybe I'm getting to the age where I need to think about getting a blanket and a thermos flask for the match, but it's my choice not to have to put up with it anymore.
  • edited January 2015

Our support never fails to amaze me. It seems that our fans are only either old people or young people who the old people hate.

Hate is a bit strong, resentful maybe because you wouldn't let me join "Red Division'. :wink:
  • RedChaser said:

Our support never fails to amaze me. It seems that our fans are only either old people or young people who the old people hate.

Hate is a bit strong, resentful maybe because you wouldn't let me join "Red Division'. :wink:
    Start your own group, the younglings will back you.
  • RedChaser said:

Start your own group, the younglings will back you.
    I think I'd be better off in an advisory capacity, my hourly rate is expensive though.