Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

For Fans Considering/Have Given up on Charlton!

1235»

Comments

• I remember back in the 70s when I was a kid - we'd all be standing on the crumbling east terrace with only a packet of roasted peanuts to sustain us and being called 'village idiots' by the Manager. It never occurred to me that I might withdraw my support. Perhaps the Manager was right.

Good old Andy. :wink:
  • edited January 2015
    sammy391 said:

Please leave now ...

Now I've been a Charlton fan for 10years , understandably that is nothing compared to many of our fan base so I accept any criticism from those people who have been supporters a while , those who got us back to the valley etc and those people only... But , if you don't want to or refuse to support Charlton in what people are classing as 'dark days' then I personally prefer you left!
    If you give up on your team due to some bloke from Belgium and refuse to support the players and staff ,then in my opinion you don't deserve the 'good days' that will come!
    Is the appointment of Guy Luzon really near as bad as the financial difficulties and bankruptcy of the past and then not having a ground to call home then don't expect a welcome when you suddenly turn up if and when we are in our good days!

I've seen so many so called fans posting on twitter, facebook and other mediums that they aren't going to Charlton until RD is out , or until Luzon is out , or even until we have our Charlton Back - i'm just glad that it wasn't those of you who were around when The Valley was taken away from us , or when the Charlton fans dug deep into their pocket to sign the club Ronnie Moore!

Lets all get behind the club , the team , the players and the manager whoever they might be because we all support CHARLTON ATHLETIC FC .. not whoever is the flavour of the month at charlton or whatever

COYR!

Well said Sammy. The bit I don't agree with, is telling the "fans" to leave.
    I'd prefer them to stay, but stop the whinging and threatening to leave.
    It's far from ideal, but when has it ever been ?
  • kentred2 said:

By all means roll over and have your tummy rubbed whilst they take the piss.

For me the network is a massive threat and the only way I can help prevent that is by not giving them my money to suck off to the hub.

So away games only like the Selhurst days. Bye bye Valley for now. Looking forward to the next owners.

So you don't want to be sucked off by RD ? Huh ?
  • OP is right but I'm just so tired. It's not just the club, it's my own circumstances too. I just wish the club would make it easier for me.
  • I remember back in the 70s when I was a kid - we'd all be standing on the crumbling east terrace with only a packet of roasted peanuts to sustain us and being called 'village idiots' by the Manager. It never occurred to me that I might withdraw my support. Perhaps the Manager was right.

There were plenty of cries of "NELSON OUT" from the terraces. There was also a demo behind the east stand against Gliksten.

• if we go on a good run and some how manage to get to the Pemiership I think you will see loads of fans coming back,you only have to see its happened at QPR and Pallarse
  • To Sammy 391
    I have been going now for 48 years , have never given up , carried on going to selhurst and upton park , was in the home crowd of 3,001 against Halifax at home . I have been a corporate sponsor , I have given money to the community programmes , I helped to fund the building of the north stand as a patron.
    This is the first time I have ever felt like giving up , which in itself ,must say something.
    You are obviously young and passionate and charlton needs fans like you for the future , but it needs the oldies too .

There are two things that are important when supporting a football club , the first is a sense of belonging , which stems from a whole variety of factors including ( depressingly) the owners, directors, manager , stadium , team, fans etc.
    the second is hope I.e the hope that the club has ambition to do better , in this case to get promoted to the premier league .

Despite all the ups and mostly downs of the last c50 years , i have never felt less belonging and hope than now .
    Sorry to be a misery and I' m hoping my mojo returns soon

You'll feel better when we win on Saturday :-)
  • Impossible for me to just go ahead and stop supporting Charlton Athletic ... Yes, i am upset with the appointment of Luzon but if you are seriously thinking of just stopping supporting CAFC all together, and start supporting some other team, you were NEVER a legit Charlton Athletic fan to begin with ... i can relate with a lot of you guys and believe me, Its okay to be upset and worri, but its never OK to just give up hope when your so in love with a football club its just not possible.
  • Sponsored links:

• I support Charlton Athletic Football Club, personified by 10 men in (mainly) red shirts and a goalkeeper. Have done for 60 years now. Owners and managers come and go (what did 'we' know of Frank Hill, Andy Nelson, in those days?) but the football team plays on. I'm not entirely happy with the machinations of the past couple of days, and not greatly impressed by the press conference video, but... Onwards to Watford on Saturday.
  • Sorry, who is this?
  • edited January 2015
    Underwhelmed!!! Unless Luzon has some previously undiscovered powers of motivation and football acumen I shall restrict my CAFC experience to Saturday home matches. Won't bother with Tuesdays or away games. May reconsider when GL gets his P45, May or earlier. Not expecting anything but a gradual decline from 14th, only saved from the drop by the ineptitude of the current bottom three. Unlikely to renew ST. Pissed off with football generally.
  • This for the banner across the top of CL anyone
  • Only been a fan since 1981 and whatever happens I will never support anyone else. But it's getting harder to retain as much passion as of old and easier to find excuses not to watch. In the last 30+ years there have been some dark times (home games at Selhurst Park again anyone) but this time the difference is that we have become an off-field laughing stock. Bad players, managers come and go. Bad owners can sink a club for years if not decades (ask Leeds fans) and as it stands, that's where we are heading.
  • No offence mogodon, but what a bunch of old duffers we are when someone who's supported the club for 34 years feels the need to start a post, "Only been a fan since 1981..."
  • We're too old to change our ways, that's what RD relies on.
  • When RD was looking to buy, I can imagine RM stating as a selling point "That's fine, you won't get any problems with this lot, I destroyed everything we'd achieved with my ego and outrageous decisions, they still turned up and there was barely a murmur!"
  • Sponsored links:

• .........YOU WERE RIGHT !
  • Unless things drastically improve before the end of the season, I"ll definately not be bothering to renew my season ticket and will happily step back and keep away from the club until things change (which would probably mean RD selling).

If I wanna feel pain every weekend, I'll stick my todger in a vice and save myself some money. The whole point of anyone going to a match is for entertainment, which I'm certainly not getting at the moment. It's going to take a hell of a lot more than £150 season tickets to keep fans coming.

Some will say "you're not proper charlton", but I'm really passed caring these days...................