Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

**Luzon Confirmed Charlton Head Coach - Deal to 2016 - Praise the Lord, Work Permit GRANTED (pg 24)*

Comments

• Any news on his assistants?

Hercule poirot and Jean Claude van damme
  • Rob said:

I can't understand people being pissed off. Get behind the team FFS. If this bloke is the dogs bollox you'll all be licking his arse soon anyway. Let's give him a chance.

Is it the Belgium/foreign thing that people just don't like? I just don't get the negativity. Sorry.

And if he's shit, like the last 'ideal manager for a club like charlton"...?
  • What's Hercule trying to find, the club's soul?
  • sorry but I don't get the 'we have been lied to' bit. All the statement from the Club said was that they needed to ensure that the next appointment was the right one. They obviously think that is Luzon. They didn't say that they would draw up a shortlist, interview a number of candidates, take advice from third parties and then make an appointment did they? I am not happy that they didn't do this but I don't feel as if I have been lied to.

• The fact that that KM was quoted that the decision to get rid of Big Bob was after Saturday's result is a blatant lie.

Luzon was bragging that he had the job last week.
  • Addickted said:

The fact that that KM was quoted that the decision to get rid of Big Bob was after Saturday's result is a blatant lie.

Evidence?
  • Addickted said:

The fact that that KM was quoted that the decision to get rid of Big Bob was after Saturday's result is a blatant lie.

Evidence?
    Do you really think that the story that broke a week or two ago about Luzon replacing Peeters was just a strange co-incidence? Clearly this has been planned for some time.
  • Rob62

Welcome back haven't seen you post for a while, in your opinion how much influence was the players in removing bob, from what I heard the camp wasn't happy, and that the communication was not always audible from BP to many of the boys, also there was a bust up that got quite out of hand and resulted in an unhappy group

Getting rid of BP isn't my gripe the lack of experience in the British game bothers me with Luzon more but maybe he can prove many wrong

• We should all get behind the new man and welcome him into Roland Athletic with open arms
  • Sponsored links:

• Wouldn't be a surprise to see a player sign by Saturday to appease the distressed masses
  • Have been incommunicado all day in deepest East Sussex so although I had heard the news, I haven't had the opportunity to comment before now.

From reading through everyone's posts, it appears to me that around 50% of Lifers are taking against M Luzon before he's had time to stash his waffles in the freezer ( no double entendre intended) whilst 40% are happy to allow him a honeymoon period & hoping that it's the start of a blissful union ( any bumps being naturally expected in a close relationship, Henry :-) )

But that leaves a further 10% to account for if my spreadsheet is correct....

That's the place to find me tonight, dear friends & fellow sufferers - in no-man's land.

Like the 40%, I'll gladly support the new guy as I believe I have every Charlton manager since I became a true Addick. For a limited period of time, this included Mr Bouncebackability and, although I shudder at the thought, the suave but uber arrogant Mr Pardlarse. The new man will be afforded the same respect. I have tended to avoid the discussions concerning his background & experience as football outside of this sceptred isle holds little interest for the Fanackapans....hence I have no preconceived ideas regarding his ability as a football manager. If "others", undoubtedly far more knowledgeable in such matters feel he is our man, then so be it.

But I am with the minority group because we are incensed by the way in which we, the customers have been treated in this latest PR fiasco. There's no need for me to spell it out - you all know to what I refer. Whatever the reasons for sacking Bob, it came as little surprise but what DID make me sit up & take notice was the statement that told us time would be taken to find the right candidate for the position. As a result, I took the bait, if that's what it was, and posted that maybe RD was becoming Charltonised ; that it seemed the "usual suspects" oft mentioned in past weeks, were not nailed on after all. Oh me of too much faith ! And so we prepared to wait, safe pro tem in the hands of Damian & Ben.

24 hours later ...DOH !

OK . RD is the owner of our Club. He has every right to do what he wants with his money. And we duly thank him for the visible improvements he has made over the past 12 months. We were assured that the history & heritage of Charlton Athletic would be respected and, although I'm unsure whether it was actually stated, the ethos of our Club too. The improvement of "The Matchday Experience" was a much used phrase, giving the impression that we, the paying customers could expect something special from the new regime. New caterers, a brand spanking new pitch, Block A with its bargain priced season tickets....all positives on the whole.

But tangible innovations aside, what about respect ? For US - the fans who love this dear old Club, spend our hard earned on supporting it through thick & thin and much, much more ? Do we not deserve to be told the truth when such a big decision as replacing our manager is concerned ? To be given such a misleading statement on Monday is to treat us as if we don't matter one iota and leaves me wondering when , if ever, we should trust anything that we are told ? It's possible that a new VIP scheme will be mooted at this Thursday's FF meeting.....but should those interested parties trust that said revamped scheme will guarantee they will not lose money by investing ? In my book, trust has to be earned, and today's announcement has put a severe dent in the trust that was beginning to be built between fans and owner. And that makes me very sad.

Charlton Athletic Football Club is better than this. And, whether our squad will be revitalised by Guy's management methods, whether further, exciting additions are made in this transfer window, whether we finish in a decent place by May 3rd, the mishandling of this current issue will not be easily forgotten. With the afore mentioned VIP scheme and season tickets for the next term on the horizon, some Addicks will question whether they want to pay "up front" , especially as The Valley is unlikely to sell out for any match and if prices are increased as rumoured.

Hand on heart, many will - it's what we do. But others may decide otherwise....and RD's plan to break even may be severely scuppered by, not only the madness of FFP but also by a "moment" of madness on Monday, January 12th 2015.

Let's hope that lessons will be learned for the good of all concerned.

Well said.
  • Luzon will need a couple of decent results early on to try and dissipate some of the negativity surrounding his appointment. I hope I'm wrong but the next three away games at Watford, Wolves and Middlesbrough all look pretty tough, whilst the Rotherham game will start to look like a six pointer if our slide continues. Nor will Brentford at the Valley in mid-February be plain sailing.

I think that, whilst Charlton supporters will give the new man a chance (just as they did with Jose Riga), Luzon's residual pool of goodwill is very likely to be significantly lower than is usual following a new appointment. Whilst we weren't, strictly speaking, lied to in the Clubs's statement of yesterday (in which reference was made to the search having commenced that afternoon), the interim appointment of Damian Matthew and Ben Roberts to "prepare the squad for Saturday's game at Watford" does feel disingenuous and designed to infer that full and detailed consideration would be given to the next appointment - an impression reinforced by Katrien's earnest declaration that "we know how important it is to make sure this next appointment is the right one..." In reality, it is highly likely that a decision had been made -certainly in principle - and that Luzon was already on his way.

What has got a lot of people's goat is that, just because Duchatelet apparently rates Luzon, was reluctant to replace him at Standard Liege and has apparently retained him on the Network's payroll (making him a cheap option), it is automatically assumed that this coaching appointment is suitable for Charlton, notwithstanding Luzon's total lack of experience of the English game. The 'Standard reject' tag may be hard to shift and, unfortunately for him, Luzon will have to bear the weight of the cumulative negativity surrounding Duchatelet's high-handed and uncommunicative approach towards the running of CAFC and its supporters. There is, in addition, a 'revolving door' feel to the club at the moment, which is very unhealthy and bound to lead to further disenchantment if it continues.

This bloke is going to need some luck - not to mention a few new players.
  • edited January 2015
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=zQszA0oJmWc

Saw it on ITTV so thought I'd post it on here for people who haven't seen it, this was him arguing with some fans of the club he managed back in 07 I think.
  • http://youtube.com/watch?v=zQszA0oJmWc

Saw it on ITTV so thought I'd post it on here for people who haven't seen it, this was him arguing with some fans of the club he managed back in 07 I think.

What the fuck is going on there? Even with the subtitles on I've got no idea what they're banging on about!
    :smiley:
  • Nailed it Fanny.
  • So, Guy Luzon prefers the long ball game. Maybe, they're the tactics we need to get us out of this division! Bob's tippy-tappy football, as nice as It was (sometimes) didn't get us very far, did it. The teams that have done well over the last few years with a more direct style, thinking Stoke, Burnley Palace etc. got the ball in the right areas quickly and played from there. Perhaps that's what we need? Need some new players to make that work though ...
  • I think too much is being made of the how recruitment is done. You can dress things up and make it look all very procedural but appointments throughout the world of business and public services are made this way much of the time and we all have to detach from this because we have no control over these episodes in the running of the club. If we did then fair enough but we don't so move on from this because it goes nowhere. Welcome Guy and I hope you can motivate these good bunch of players to go out and play the best they can with the best tactics/strategy/flair/conviction/togetherness and determination that they and you can muster
  • Any news on his assistants?

Roly is going to pick them today.
  • Sponsored links:

• So hard to keep up beat and positive. I'm still struggling to find a real reason for Peter getting the boot?? We are a mid table side at best how where over achieving at the start. My fear is that we won't be able to attract any managers or players from outside the "network" because of the way RD is going out his business!!
  • I always thought that jobs had to be advertised. Sadly my research proved me wrong, but I did find this informative information on an HR site. Can we get this to RD for future reference?

External advertising

Opens the role to a wider audience who may bring skills and experience you don’t already have;
    Allows for “fresh blood” to come into the business;
    Meets best practice in recruiting by making positions open and accessible to all;
    Helps to avoid potentially discriminatory recruitment decisions;
    Can be used as a positive message of business growth for marketing and promotional purposes.
  • http://youtube.com/watch?v=zQszA0oJmWc

So, prepared to discuss tactics with supporters, brave to walk into that situation and front it, confident in his beliefs. Good start.

I get the feeling that our after game press conferences are going to be a whole lot more fun than recently. I expect the first FA charge before the end of Feb.

Getting to like the cut of this guys jib.
  • All very "meh" from me I'm afraid. Utterly expected other than a bit of mishandling. Fanny has pretty much got it spot on so I won't go over it all again. I go forward with an element of curiosity as to whether the network transfers (that's all we're gonna get folks so don't hold your breath for anything else) and foreign coaching input can make us at least interesting to watch. But im afraid it's rapidly becoming more of a soap opera than a passion. Good luck Guy but I'm struggling to give a shit.
  • I can't see DM and BR (our erstwhile caretaker coaches) being very happy about it all.
  • _MrDick said:

So, Guy Luzon prefers the long ball game. Maybe, they're the tactics we need to get us out of this division! Bob's tippy-tappy football, as nice as It was (sometimes) didn't get us very far, did it. The teams that have done well over the last few years with a more direct style, thinking Stoke, Burnley Palace etc. got the ball in the right areas quickly and played from there. Perhaps that's what we need? Need some new players to make that work though ...

Because Charlton have always been a football team and the fans hate long ball. Simple
  • taking against M Luzon before he's had time to stash his waffles in the freezer

More likely to be bagels surely?
  • boggzy said:

And the best of the joke was people thought we were going for someone from the UK......oh how we giggled!!
  • So now we know. In a sales career that has so far lasted 53 years, I have met literally hundreds of business owners. My favourite was a man who I met in the sixties when he opened up, became a friend and by coincidence has supported Charlton all his life. He trained himself to recognise talent in others, employed them and supported, encouraged and rewarded them for building his business, making him highly successful. What we seem to have is a man whose mantra is ' it's my way or the highway '. It looks as if he will be making all the decisions, which he is entitled to do of course, and it could be good news for us. Apparently he works hard to make money, and the only way he is going to do that with Charlton is by getting us into the Premiership. I look forward to that day, and will continue to support my team as always, trying to ignore the chaos that we have to suffer.