Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Daily Mail readers reaction to rumours of a black James Bond

Comments

• Options

A black/coloured/ethnic/minority (delete as you see appropriate) James Bond wouldn't feel right to me. Does that make me racist?

No, but your subsequent posts make me wonder...
    Care to enlighten me as to which posts of mine you find to be racist?
    Care to enlighten me where I said your posts were racist?
  • Options
    Weird
  • Options
    Hoping for a gay Bond - Dale Winton would be my choice.
  • Options

A black/coloured/ethnic/minority (delete as you see appropriate) James Bond wouldn't feel right to me. Does that make me racist?

You clearly said his posts make you wonder if he's racist
  • Options
    But why should he be played by a black actor. Yes he is a fictional character but clearly written as a white heterosexual male. Should Uncle Tom be played by a white woman?
  • Options
    Reckon Elba would make a good Bond

Also Stephen K.Amos as Doctor Who

Personally, Im a white English person who thinks it would be great to have these renowned fictional characters of great British do-daring played by actors of other races. Can't be a bad thing can it and potentially could be really cool.

The real reason I think Black Bond has to happen one day is when you see the outrage the proposition can invoke in some. Now if it was for an American actor fair enough ;) but if you are British it doesn't matter the colour of you skin.

It's a film, it's 2014, move on.

• Options
    I thought Elba was great in The Wire too but have since come to the conclusion he's a bit one dimensional. I like the guy and enjoy a lot of what he does, just not convinced he could do much more than being suave and maybe a bit cocky. Which would've been fine for 70s era Bond.

We couldn't have an American Bond, could we? Dick Van Dyke, maybe.

Have you ever noticed that DvD did a perfectly good English accent as the bank manager in Mary Poppins? There's a great fan theory on this...

http://zachseemayer.com/2014/08/20/mind-blowing-hidden-relationships-you-never-noticed-in-disneys-mary-poppins/
  • Options

Personally, Im a white English person who thinks it would be great to have these renowned fictional characters of great British do-daring played by actors of other races. Can't be a bad thing can it and potentially could be really cool.

The real reason I think Black Bond has to happen one day is when you see the outrage the proposition can invoke in some. Now if it was for an American actor fair enough ;) but if you are British it doesn't matter the colour of you skin.

So, would it be ok if Uncle Tom was played by a white man?

• Options
    WayneK said:

Behave it's Christmas
  • Options
    I'm more of a Johhny English fan so it matters little to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I thought Elba was great in The Wire too but have since come to the conclusion he's a bit one dimensional. I like the guy and enjoy a lot of what he does, just not convinced he could do much more than being suave and maybe a bit cocky. Which would've been fine for 70s era Bond.

We couldn't have an American Bond, could we? Dick Van Dyke, maybe.

Have you ever noticed that DvD did a perfectly good English accent as the bank manager in Mary Poppins? There's a great fan theory on this...

http://zachseemayer.com/2014/08/20/mind-blowing-hidden-relationships-you-never-noticed-in-disneys-mary-poppins/
    Brilliant :smiley:
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    buckshee said:

Idris Elba would be the nuts

James Bond would look funny with just black nuts...
  • Options
    A lot of the original Daily Mail comments seem to suggest you'd never get a white going playing the part of Nelson Mandela. Having said that....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxqQe_dBGQA
  • Options
    edited December 2014

WayneK said:

Behave it's Christmas
    What's Christmas got to do with it? Be PC if you want but you have to have it both ways but cannot accept it. You can call me racist if you want but I'm very good friends with Pork Pie.

• Options
    Whilst I never fail to find it amusing when Daily Mail readers start foaming at the mouth and falling over backwards in shock-horror at the mere mention of anything progressive, I must confess I would find it odd to see a black James Bond.

This doesn't make me racist, it simply means that I have a certain preconceived image of who "Bond" is. He's a white, misogynist, gambling addicted alcoholic with a lucky streak a mile wide inasmuch as everybody who has ever tried to kill him has either been a completely rotten shot or has overcomplicated the process to such a degree that the plan was doomed to failure from conception. OK... so much for stereotypes.

I can imagine a black Prime Minister, or even a black Doctor Who. Both of those would work for me. But Bond has become more than a role. He is a very specific fantasy character whose character only 'works' within a very narrow corridor of variation. Being black would be too far outside of that margin to maintain credibility.... even for a fantasy figure.

Idris Elba is a fine actor and would no doubt do a sterling job, but it simply wouldn't 'work'.

In my opinion.
  • Options

Oooh we have a smarty pants.

Would you care to enlighten me as to which of my subsequent posts made you wonder whether I am racist.
  • Options
    LoonyBin said:

Whilst I never fail to find it amusing when Daily Mail readers start foaming at the mouth and falling over backwards in shock-horror at the mere mention of anything progressive, I must confess I would find it odd to see a black James Bond.

This doesn't make me racist, it simply means that I have a certain preconceived image of who "Bond" is. He's a white, misogynist, gambling addicted alcoholic with a lucky streak a mile wide inasmuch as everybody who has ever tried to kill him has either been a completely rotten shot or has overcomplicated the process to such a degree that the plan was doomed to failure from conception. OK... so much for stereotypes.

I can imagine a black Prime Minister, or even a black Doctor Who. Both of those would work for me. But Bond has become more than a role. He is a very specific fantasy character whose character only 'works' within a very narrow corridor of variation. Being black would be too far outside of that margin to maintain credibility.... even for a fantasy figure.

Idris Elba is a fine actor and would no doubt do a sterling job, but it simply wouldn't 'work'.

In my opinion.

If you were to list his defining traits that were essential to the character being in a narratively and stylistically successful movie, skin colour would be pretty low down the list if not at the bottom. The tuxedo represents status, as does the voice, the car etc. so if you were to dress a white man in a potato sack driving a mini, he wouldn't be much of a Bond. But to change the colour of his skin? As long as he represents a decadent posh womanising git, well skin colour is irrelevant, is it not?
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Would you care to enlighten me as to which of my subsequent posts made you wonder whether I am racist.
    No. Bit of a sense of humour failure on your part.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

LoonyBin said:

In my opinion.

If you were to list his defining traits that were essential to the character being in a narratively and stylistically successful movie, skin colour would be pretty low down the list if not at the bottom. The tuxedo represents status, as does the voice, the car etc. so if you were to dress a white man in a potato sack driving a mini, he wouldn't be much of a Bond. But to change the colour of his skin? As long as he represents a decadent posh womanising git, well skin colour is irrelevant, is it not?
    So we ignore the writing of Ian Fleming?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

A lot of the original Daily Mail comments seem to suggest you'd never get a white going playing the part of Nelson Mandela. Having said that....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxqQe_dBGQA

Great sketch that. "You like the gramophone music, Nelson Mandela sings the Blur, song 2"
  • Options

There was a comment about Jewish people and cashpoints on the Dave Whelan thread which may have contributed to his suspicions to be fair.
  • Options
    WayneK said:

JiMMy 85 said:

LoonyBin said:

In my opinion.

So we ignore the writing of Ian Fleming?

Should we remove all laptops etc from the bond films because they weren't in the books?
  • Options
    edited December 2014

There is only one thing worse than racism, and that is being accused of racism.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

There was a comment about Jewish people and cashpoints on the Dave Whelan thread which may have contributed to his suspicions to be fair.
    I was quoting Dave.

Perhaps, Algarve, you should redirect your sense of humour failure comment to ol' SE9 here
  • Options

se9addick said:

I was quoting Dave.

Perhaps, Algarve, you should redirect your sense of humour failure comment to ol' SE9 here
    Just lighten up old bean. You need to go with the flow if you want to play on Internet forums.
  • Options
    why can't we have a female Bond in 2015 ?

Brooke Bond. (as long as she's not an old bag)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    There have been other examples of actors whose physical appearance didn't match the existing stereotype for the role viz.

http://youtu.be/lbnkY1tBvMU