Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Daily Mail readers reaction to rumours of a black James Bond

edited December 2014 in Not Sports Related

Comments

• se9addick said:

The funniest responses are the ones asking "what would happen if a white man was to play Mandella/MLK?" - there's one clear, fundamental difference between James Bond, Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandella and it has nothing to do with skin colour !

Havent you see Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder? ;)
  • Sounds like it has all the makings of a "Found Poem".
  • edited December 2014
    wow this must mean that Guardian readers can now watch James Bond
  • Daily mail readers in right wing racist slur shocker. What's new?

Idris Elba as James Bond would be a fantastic choice.
  • Has Daniel Craig retired from the role?
  • Saga Lout said:

Has Daniel Craig retired from the role?

He is making one more after Spectre.
  • A black/coloured/ethnic/minority (delete as you see appropriate) James Bond wouldn't feel right to me. Does that make me racist?
  • The biggest thing going against Idris Elba getting the role is not his skin colour, it's his age. He's only three years younger than Daniel Craig. I can see them going forward much younger man next time.
  • Sponsored links:

• The biggest thing going against Idris Elba getting the role is not his skin colour, it's his age. He's only three years younger than Daniel Craig. I can see them going forward much younger man next time.

My thoughts too - it would be like Roger Moore all over again. A middle-aged man desperately trying to look young.

I genuinely don't think Idris Elba is a good actor.
  • A black/coloured/ethnic/minority (delete as you see appropriate) James Bond wouldn't feel right to me. Does that make me racist?

no, and I agree. What next Postman Pat to become Plumber Pat? Top Cat to be replaced by a Dog?

No it doesn't make you racist but some of those comments made on the scummy papers Web site, are.
  • Don't watch Bond movies but I think it's great, love to see Mail readers so outraged tis funny.

no, and I agree. What next Postman Pat to become Plumber Pat? Top Cat to be replaced by a Dog?

Ridiculous comment.

• Tom Hardy or Christian Bale by a country frickin mile.

No, It'll be Postman Piotr, and his mixed race cat Jose!!

I genuinely don't think Idris Elba is a good actor.
    Well that's a whole different argument. He was great in The Wire and Luther but he's made some awful films.
  • Would love to see Benedict Cumberbatch as the next James Bond or even Tom Hiddleston he'd be great as Bond or as a villan
  • Sponsored links:

No it doesn't make you racist but some of those comments made on the scummy papers Web site, are.
    I may have missed the ones you were referring to, but I don't see anything racist?
  • I prefer my Bonds to be more suave than gritty, I guess that's what happens when you grow up in the Roger Moore era :-)

So someone like Damien Lewis, for example
  • saying somebody shouldn't be able to do something because of their skin colour is racist imo, doesn't mean you cant have an opinion of whether they can do the job or role as a person.
    It is in my opinion a way of trying to get more publicity and create a stir, kind of like having Annie as black girl.

If you want to do a film with a secret government agent as a Black guy or a musical about a little black orphan girl just give the film a different Title.

I suppose you wouldn't get the publicity that way though.........
  • I prefer my Bonds to be more suave than gritty, I guess that's what happens when you grow up in the Roger Moore era :-)

Damien Lewis is one of my favourite actors... Another great shout, although if he's picked people will say "but he's ginger"
  • Can we make him a muslim too?
  • saying somebody shouldn't be able to do something because of their skin colour is racist imo, doesn't mean you cant have an opinion of whether they can do the job or role as a person.
    It is in my opinion a way of trying to get more publicity and create a stir, kind of like having Annie as black girl.

If you want to do a film with a secret government agent as a Black guy or a musical about a little black orphan girl just give the film a different Title.

I suppose you wouldn't get the publicity that way though.........

People aren't saying, from what I can see, that a black actor shouldn't get the role....just that the character has always been, and therefore should always be, white.

Imagine the hysteria if Elba 'Whited up' for the role!

I like Bale but I don't think he would be a good bond. Elba is great and I think even his cameos in the US office shows he has that charisma as well as being a bad ass.

It would be weird seeing Bond as black at first but I'm sure after 5 minutes you would just accept it and enjoy the film. Comparisons of a fictional spy being played by a black man to a white guy playing one of the most influential guys ever in the civil rights movement is pretty mental really.

Hardy is a great call

I like Bale but I don't think he would be a good bond. Elba is great and I think even his cameos in the US office shows he has that charisma as well as being a bad ass.

It would be weird seeing Bond as black at first but I'm sure after 5 minutes you would just accept it and enjoy the film. Comparisons of a fictional spy being played by a black man to a white guy playing one of the most influential guys ever in the civil rights movement is pretty mental really.

Damien Lewis is one of my favourite actors... Another great shout, although if he's picked people will say "but he's ginger"
    and obviously Daniel Craig is a natural brunette? These film people have all sorts of make up and hair dye available I'm told, not sure if I believe it though.