Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rotherham v Charlton 2014/15 post match views

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    "Let me tell you, might as well do, about a boy who can do anything,
    his name is Johann, he comes from iceland,
    Gudmundsson, Gudmundsson, Gudmundsson"

The older CL think of Gilbert O'Sullivan
    The younger fans, is it not an advert?

In answer to a previous question.
    A song for Johann
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    ross1 said:

ross1 said:

No loans before 30th, Norwich game, so may have someone in for that

Been away, why the 30th?
    If you get a loan in before 30th, they will have to go back to their club after maximum 93 days. If we are thinking of taking a player on loan with a view to buying, as hinted by Ketts, you want it to be continuous, so loan starts 30th and goes straight into a buying position. I hope I have made myself clear.
    The loan would end after the congested christmas period.

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:

ross1 said:

ross1 said:

No loans before 30th, Norwich game, so may have someone in for that

Been away, why the 30th?
    If you get a loan in before 30th, they will have to go back to their club after maximum 93 days. If we are thinking of taking a player on loan with a view to buying, as hinted by Ketts, you want it to be continuous, so loan starts 30th and goes straight into a buying position. I hope I have made myself clear.
    The loan would end after the congested christmas period.

Yes, and then we sign them on permanently from January 1st
  • Options
    Listening only but I gained the impression that in the first half, once we settle, we attack with vigour. Come the second half, energies start to wane ( ? Players still unfit) and they start to pass the ball around at the back until a mistake occurs. Perhaps hoofball does have its place given the lack of outlet up front?
  • Options
    After seeing that, really poor goal to concede once again that has cost us points, so frustrating but we are still in a great postion in the table, so not too much to complain about.
  • Options
    If we are in the top 10 at the end of the year, I will be happy, RD said if we are in with a chance of promotion at that time, he will let BP buy in better players to help with promotion, (so the rumours go)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Steve Evans is a fat, ungracious Scottish twat.

No way was that a penalty and both Kitson and Rosenior agree.

I look at this guy and worry for his health. He looks awful. When he was running down the touch line in the play off final against Orient last season his trousers were slipping and his crack was getting more and more visible. I can't believe he can be that state and be a manager of a team in a professional sport. Not to sound too harsh, but his heart must be feeling the strain. He also has the red face of a man who drinks heavily.

Anyway, enough about him. New ground syndrome meant I got to experience it first hand. Can't really add much more. Started off a bit sluggish, but once we got our goal the confidence was there. Second half was frustrating because unlike Tuesday, I thought we were up against weaker opposition. Yes Rotherham passed the ball well, but we've got to press higher up the pitch. Buyens faded which is why I understand some of the JJ vs Buyens debates earlier in the thread, but for me, he will contribute more throughout this season than JJ will so I think we need to get him a fast, strong partner in the mid. However JJ did play a great ball to Wiggins, which he, like Solly and Harriott did toward the end, waste. It's a conundrum because I think as the season goes on, it's not the best partnership for our centre mid. Vetokele is now a marked man, and definitely needs some support. I actually think Moussa looked okay starting and there were a couple of times he wriggled free of his man in the first half, so was a little surprised when he got taken off. JBG had a great game. His touch is excellent and suits the little midfield triangles when in tight situations. The other wing is a prob at the mo. Cousins didn't have a bad game, it just all looks slower with him and Wiggins. Wiggins is also still giving that bloody ball away, I really hope this is a phase and we're not starting to witness his decline. Their goal was pathetic. Bikey initially dallied and almost lost possession so TBH has no excuses to repeat seconds after.

For me I have had an element of frustration over the last two games, but the team is still new, still gelling. I probably got massively carried away after the Derby performance as well. However, I think if we can just be a bit more positive, then we're still a match for most teams
  • Options
    Looked like the defender could have cleared becchios goal off the line?
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Looked like the defender could have cleared becchios goal off the line?

No chance mate, that was TBH who was breaking his neck to get back to redeem himself, alas in vain. Plus the 28 gives him a shove.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't go to the game yesterday and so can't comment on it. I'd just like to make an observation about perspective though.

Last season and the season before that we were relegation candidates. We could easily have gone down in either season.

Many people have argued that this is because the owners did not invest sufficiently and that as result we had weaknesses in our squad.

We now have a new owner. While he has more money than the previous owners he has made it clear that he is going to spend it carefully. Indeed, he has said he wants to break even and Katrien Miere has repeated this recently. He is expecting to spend less money, overall, than his predecessors, not more.

While it's doubtful that Roland is literally expecting to break even, this language is highly significant. Roland clearly has a plan. A focus on youth development and use of a European wide scouting network to find better, cheaper players.

This is encouraging, but it will, nevertheless, require a very high level of skill to compete consistently in the Championship against Clubs with bigger budgets. There are some risks in what the Club is aiming to do.

Given this, a reasonable aspiration (not expectation) for this season is simply to consolidate and, hopefully, avoid another relegation dogfight. Even our owner and the Club's management probably don't quite know how the strategy will work.

You simply never know what the future might hold, but while it's important to work hard and aim high a top six finish this season simply isn't a realistic expectation.

We ought to be very happy with the start we've made. We've played some good football and showed promise. There is reason to believe we can improve. Most importantly, we have fourteen points from just eight games. We need around thirty six more points from thirty eight matches to achieve objective number one. Less than one per game. That's a big deal.

This is a very tough division. Tougher than ever this season by the looks of it. It's hard to pick the three teams which will be relegated. If we are good enough to avoid getting pulled into what's likely to be a battle royale to survive we'll have done very well.

Based on reports from those at Rotherham yesterday it appears we were disappointing, but for me at least this is the perspective from which I'll be judging our progress.

• Options
    seth plum said:

Apparently no love lost between Big Bob and Steve Evans at the end.

On the Footy League show, to me it seemed Steve Evans ininterview seemed a little tipsy.
  • Options
    To me the quickest and simplest way for CAFC to break even is to get promoted and become a yo-yo club. One of the ten or so championship clubs with parachute money. Now this can be done in a hurry (like QPR and Cardiff) or skillfully over time. Right now it is far more realistic to expect CAFC to finish on 65 rather than the 75 points required to finish 6th but we can dream of Wembley can't we?!
    Now I don't subscribe to the "just two more players" school where managers and fans argue for more resources.
    It will take time for this team to gel, time for our younger players to gain experience and fill out. And time for certain players contracts to lapse creating spare budget for new players.
    I have no idea how we will perform vs Boro let alone the rest of the season but I do think we have the basis of a top half squad which can push on.
    The Championship is probably at its highest level ever and it's great to see us competing, particularly after last season. Let's get through to the next window and then see who comes and goes.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Happy enough to be in the top 7 at this stage but really frustrated at the way we are playing. I've been to the last four games and in every one we sat back and invited the opposition to attack. Wolves took ten minutes to suss us out but Brighton, Watford and Rotherham seemed to have us worked out from the start. This style of play might have earned us 6 points but we got away with it against Watford and we could have beaten Brighton and Rotherham if we hadn't pulled everyone bar Igor back and tried to hang on to a single goal lead. As for playing tippy tappy around the defence (when we can get hold of the ball at all), it's simply inviting disaster. One day a team (like Norwich?) will give us a right tonking if we continue with this system. Even if it has somehow led to us remaining unbeaten after 8 matches, the games have been terrible to watch. Personally I would rather see us lose occasionally but give it a go than continue to witness the same rearguard action, with our players unable to get out of their own half, just chasing shadows.
  • Options
    First time I had seen quite a few of this team. Buyens must have had an off day based on previous reports of his excellence. He was a bald Poyet without the harrying tackling and ball-winning yesterday.

I thought we had plenty enough quality to have passed our way around Rotherham and scored a few. Note how many of our efforts were too high. Bit of target practice please. I thought JJ in particular could have done better with his chance.

The obvious thing that struck me is that whenever Rotherham had the ball there was no sign of any urgency in getting it back and they were given far too much time and space. That is easy enough to change. Come on, Bob we can be a very competitive side in this division but we need to work a lot harder when we don't have the ball and be more positive with it when we do.
  • Options

Didn't go to the game yesterday and so can't comment on it. I'd just like to make an observation about perspective though.

Last season and the season before that we were relegation candidates. We could easily have gone down in either season.

Many people have argued that this is because the owners did not invest sufficiently and that as result we had weaknesses in our squad.

We now have a new owner. While he has more money than the previous owners he has made it clear that he is going to spend it carefully. Indeed, he has said he wants to break even and Katrien Miere has repeated this recently. He is expecting to spend less money, overall, than his predecessors, not more.

While it's doubtful that Roland is literally expecting to break even, this language is highly significant. Roland clearly has a plan. A focus on youth development and use of a European wide scouting network to find better, cheaper players.

This is encouraging, but it will, nevertheless, require a very high level of skill to compete consistently in the Championship against Clubs with bigger budgets. There are some risks in what the Club is aiming to do.

Given this, a reasonable aspiration (not expectation) for this season is simply to consolidate and, hopefully, avoid another relegation dogfight. Even our owner and the Club's management probably don't quite know how the strategy will work.

You simply never know what the future might hold, but while it's important to work hard and aim high a top six finish this season simply isn't a realistic expectation.

We ought to be very happy with the start we've made. We've played some good football and showed promise. There is reason to believe we can improve. Most importantly, we have fourteen points from just eight games. We need around thirty six more points from thirty eight matches to achieve objective number one. Less than one per game. That's a big deal.

This is a very tough division. Tougher than ever this season by the looks of it. It's hard to pick the three teams which will be relegated. If we are good enough to avoid getting pulled into what's likely to be a battle royale to survive we'll have done very well.

Based on reports from those at Rotherham yesterday it appears we were disappointing, but for me at least this is the perspective from which I'll be judging our progress.

I understand the perspective Mundell, what I don't get is how we can reasonably expect to regularly compete in the Championship whilst there are millionaires willing to chuck money at their egotistical dreams of playing with the big boys.

I suppose we may strike lucky and sign tomorrow's Demba Ba but it still seems like a gamble whatever our perspective.

• Options

First time I had seen quite a few of this team. Buyens must have had an off day based on previous reports of his excellence. He was a bald Poyet without the harrying tackling and ball-winning yesterday.

I thought we had plenty enough quality to have passed our way around Rotherham and scored a few. Note how many of our efforts were too high. Bit of target practice please. I thought JJ in particular could have done better with his chance.

The obvious thing that struck me is that whenever Rotherham had the ball there was no sign of any urgency in getting it back and they were given far too much time and space. That is easy enough to change. Come on, Bob we can be a very competitive side in this division but we need to work a lot harder when we don't have the ball and be more positive with it when we do.

On the lack of urgency to win the ball back it's been the same in the games I've seen. Even Church, who last season always chased lost causes, stood off the Brighton centre backs and goalkeeper.

It seems there's much more of a focus on shape/positioning than hassling and stopping the opposition from playing, and instead we look to close down in dangerous areas. If we're winning then great, players don't waste energy or leave gaps for the opposition to play through, but playing that way I think we need to keep possession better ourselves. Clearly we need a more physical partner for Igor, and I'm not convinced by the balance of the midfield.
  • Options

!st thing, condolences to Fanny + Hubby, you are the lifeblood of our football club. (home and away)

Good trip up on the train via Sheffield, nice atmosphere in the Bridge pub.

To have over 1100, is a good turn out.

Sluggish start, good movement from Rotherham, the usual last ditch tackles or poor finishes from them.
    why was solly marking alex revell(9) who was 6in taller from the early crosses. Answer i guess is zonal marking.

we then got into the game and created some chances, moussa looking better but final ball from him still not coming off. Johann b Gud, looked class and was rewarded with a great goal with that magic left foot of his.
    ( you need work on that wave to the fans !) we then pass the ball around until the mandatory bad pass gives the ball back. Hey, we get away with it, what the problem. (not for much longer)

Half time, good spirits from CAFC fans, going to take the game to Rotherham in second half and show why we are a top 6 side......... Wrong.

Did Derren Brown turn up at HT, because we vanished in second half for the next 35 mins ?

Did the wee lard arse teamtalk work wonders or what.
    They torn into us and passed well, it was painful to watch. You can only play Russian roulette at the back for so long before you get a bullet. It duly arrived, TBH becomes stevie G, and it's 1-1 and their on a roll.

Pointing the finger at no one player, but we lack pace in midfield and get the ball played around as for at least
    60% of every match. Was told this happened in the udders match as well.

They missed what looked like a sitter from our end and Bulot nearly opened his account when their goalie saved on the line.
    A point gained or 2 dropped ?

All 1120 fans could see we need someone to fill that number 9 shirt and hold play up to feed the midfield and to get the best out of our full backs who can then overlap more. we have Igor but he won't last the season without more support.

The unbeaten record is great, but it feel like a red herring in many respect, i'm sure Bob is working with KM to try to make this happen. (loan players)

Thumbs up for the blond lad starting the song for Johann.
    Thumbs down for the fans who sang the crass song about Rotherham.

Enjoyed the craic, even if it was the gud, the bad,and the ugly. COYR.

Great post, spot on about the game.

There was a sad inevitability about the song. The only thing that surprised me was how long the vocal minority took to sing it. As I have said before, people mock what they don't understand!! Muppetry of the highest order!
  • Options

seth plum said:

Apparently no love lost between Big Bob and Steve Evans at the end.

On the Footy League show, to me it seemed Steve Evans ininterview seemed a little tipsy.
    Probably the beer(s) he shared with BP
  • Options

I understand the perspective Mundell, what I don't get is how we can reasonably expect to regularly compete in the Championship whilst there are millionaires willing to chuck money at their egotistical dreams of playing with the big boys.

I suppose we may strike lucky and sign tomorrow's Demba Ba but it still seems like a gamble whatever our perspective.

It's called FFP limiting losses...something like 21 clubs were in favour to start...several proposed amendments last May to raise loss limits failed to secure the required votes...we find out soon whether clubs like Forest will be excluded from signing players in the January window...and whether the typical championship losses are shrinking irrespective of the antics of QPR and Leicester.
    We will also have to wait and see whether CAFC can continue to attract decent players and whether we can increase gate and commercial revenues which in turn will give us a higher playing budget. Being in or near the top six has to help with all of the above.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Your faith is commendable SR. I just have this nagging doubt. Money always seems to stay ahead of the legislation in my experience, but let's hope that your faith is rewarded.
  • Options
    Fanny - condolences to you and Mr F
  • Options
    Sorry to hear your sad news Fanny.

Unusual to get a downbeat report from you too. I really hope we can improve for the visit of Middlesbrough on Saturday and the trip to Norwich the following Tuesday. We like our happy Fanny!
  • Options
    Scoham said:

.....The obvious thing that struck me is that whenever Rotherham had the ball there was no sign of any urgency in getting it back and they were given far too much time and space. That is easy enough to change. Come on, Bob we can be a very competitive side in this division but we need to work a lot harder when we don't have the ball and be more positive with it when we do.

On the lack of urgency to win the ball back it's been the same in the games I've seen. Even Church, who last season always chased lost causes, stood off the Brighton centre backs and goalkeeper.

It seems there's much more of a focus on shape/positioning than hassling and stopping the opposition from playing, and instead we look to close down in dangerous areas. If we're winning then great, players don't waste energy or leave gaps for the opposition to play through, but playing that way I think we need to keep possession better ourselves. Clearly we need a more physical partner for Igor, and I'm not convinced by the balance of the midfield.
    This is what Bob Peeters brings to the party. The European style rather than the British style if you like.

For the first time in my life, I see how technically it is a better style than the huff and puff that we're used to. It's the type of football where we won't see the likes of a Bradley Pritchard or a Steve Gritt or a Steve Brown playing in a Charlton shirt again. It's the kind of system where Curb's like for utility players isn't necessary as to an extent they all become 'specialists'.

This, along with the zonal marking system being used at corners is Peeters putting his unique stamp on the Club.

It's certainly different from what we've traditionally played.

I hope it works.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Indeed. This is the $64,000 question @stilladdicted‌.

As far as I am concerned the debate has now moved on. We now know that Roland Duchatelet has Charlton's best interests at heart. He wants us to succeed and he has the financial resources necessary to be an owner of a club in the Championship.

However, even with the benefit of an insightful strategy and effective execution, it will be very hard to remain competitive in the Championship without running losses close to the FFP maximum, let alone build a squad capable of winning promotion. However, as @seriously_red‌ suggests, promotion is really the only route to sustainable break even and this creates a classic Catch 22.

Right now, I suspect that Katrien Miere, who does appear to be in the driving seat, subject to Roland's budgetary limits, is ambitious and optimistic, yet realises that we'll need to get lucky. We might, of course, but more likely we won't.

It will be fascinating to see how Roland reacts if in two to three years time we are treading water. Does he up the ante or continue to focus on ensuring we can sustain Championship football without being a material financial burden? Only time will tell.

It's fascinating to reflect on Duchatelet's other clubs. Carl Zeiss Jena, Ujpest and Alcorcon all seem to be in at least as good shape as when he acquired his interest in them, but it really isn't obvious how he will move them forward or what the upside is.

Sustainability seems to be more important to him than progress for its own sake. It would appear that he wants to do the "right thing", but he's not going to operate like a typical owner. I'm fascinated and very much looking forward to the next few years, but I'm trying to manage my expectations.

Edit PS "Lucky" might include selling Joe Gomez for £10m, for example. We might find that money gets reinvested.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Davo55 said:

Sorry to hear your sad news Fanny.

Unusual to get a downbeat report from you too. I really hope we can improve for the visit of Middlesbrough on Saturday and the trip to Norwich the following Tuesday. We like our happy Fanny!

Aw, thanks, Davo & Lancs. It's much appreciated.

I realise now how my report came across last night and in retrospect, maybe I was a tad harsh. Without revisiting my post, I seem to remember I called into question the gut busting efforts of some of our lads. On reflection, soaking up pressure, trying to get the ball out of our half & doing their best to break up continuous attacks from the Millers was probably extremely energy sapping - and I'm really not being sarcastic.

I have since read BB's pronouncement on the match and his declaration that we will not change our passing game which in some respects is good news yet in another slightly concerning if it puts so much pressure on the back four to clear their lines in this manner. However, BB is the boss & I note Addickted's comments above regarding a more European way of playing with interest.

And it is still early days .....

( Note to self...I must keep the faith !)

• Options
    Condolences to you both Fanny.
  • Options
    Thanks, Seth
  • Options
    @Fanny - my condolences to you and your husband
  • Options
    Condolences mate, best of care. In surmisation, couple of games where we should have been out of sight before half time rather than sending cards with RSVP on them during the interval and getting a very early reply. However, some things in life are more important, be safe and hope all is as easy as it can be.