Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rotherham v Charlton 2014/15 post match views

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm ok right now is time to put Cousins in the middle with Buyens! I love Jacko but is this a season to far! Im sorry to say I think it is yes hes been amazing as captain and has popped up with some very important goals over hes time at Charlton and for that he has got legend status and rightly so!
    So its Cousins and Buyens in centre mid at left wing its got to be Bulot surely now after 2 decent cameos. that would give much better attacking theat and with Jordan along side Yoni would give the defence more protection and may let Buyens get forward more.
    I would also still play Tucudean he at least gives Igor bit of support! Im sorry to pick on Jacko but he now doesnt even have chances on goal which is hes thing and if we are going to go for top 6 we need more drive in centre mid and another striker too
  • Options
    Stig said:
    lol Harriott for Gudmudsson that bad! but me has just come back from Injury! but like i said before apart from Bulot or maybe Moussa bringing on Harriott Church Fox Wilson etc weakens us greatly
  • Options
    Saw the game today and draw was a fair result. Good goal from Gudmondsson but bad mistake from Ben Haim that led to their goal, and should have hoofed it away. I don't mind the ball being passed around but there is a time to take no chances. Disappointed that Charlton sat back again after the break and did not make enough effort to keep possession. Peeters has put together a reasonable team, has his style and has coached the players well, but they've got to keep it going all through the match. We also need a 'Plan B'. For the team to challenge for promotion it needs a ball-winner in midfield and a strong centre forward who can hold the ball up and bring the midfield players, like Buyens and Jackson into attack. Great support from the Charlton fans and really good numbers.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    masicat said:

All positive for me. Poyet will come back on loan and winning positions will be nailed down. Unbeaten , could be better, could be a lot worse.

Not happening!
    When Peeters makes a statement to Newshopper about "Buyens helps us to forget Poyet" that kinda suggested to me that any attempt to bring Poyet back died in the water.
    Still undefeated and a chance next Saturday to leapfrog Boro back into top six - what's not to like?!
  • Options
    ross1 said:

No loans before 30th, Norwich game, so may have someone in for that

Been away, why the 30th?
  • Options
    We gifted them the goal,Why are we playing the ball backwards FFS get it forward. We rode our luck 2nd half, defended deep and invited them on which didn't help, Shame we couldn't score a 2nd, their goalie saved right on the line. Disappointing overall but still unbeaten, Just over 1100 fans.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

uie2 said:

Hmmm ok right now is time to put Cousins in the middle with Buyens! I love Jacko but is this a season to far! Im sorry to say I think it is yes hes been amazing as captain and has popped up with some very important goals over hes time at Charlton and for that he has got legend status and rightly so!
    So its Cousins and Buyens in centre mid at left wing its got to be Bulot surely now after 2 decent cameos. that would give much better attacking theat and with Jordan along side Yoni would give the defence more protection and may let Buyens get forward more.
    I would also still play Tucudean he at least gives Igor bit of support! Im sorry to pick on Jacko but he now doesnt even have chances on goal which is hes thing and if we are going to go for top 6 we need more drive in centre mid and another striker too

Jackson wasn't the problem today in fact he was stronger than Buyens in the middle and without him putting in a proper captain's shift we would have lost today IMO.
    Agreed about Jackson in the first half, anonymous in the second
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Essex_Al said:

RedChaser said:

uie2 said:

Jackson wasn't the problem today in fact he was stronger than Buyens in the middle and without him putting in a proper captain's shift we would have lost today IMO.
    Agreed about Jackson in the first half, anonymous in the second
    What about the inch perfect ball he bent into the path of Wiggins who once again had a nose bleed high up the pitch? Or the triangles he was playing with Wiggins and Cousins. Don't forget he was trying to do the work of two men, Buyens never livened up until the last 15mins of the 2nd half. Funny how we see it differently though :-0
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Steve Evans is a fat, ungracious Scottish twat.

No way was that a penalty and both Kitson and Rosenior agree.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    LenGlover said:

Steve Evans is a fat, ungracious Scottish twat.

No way was that a penalty and both Kitson and Rosenior agree.

He was at it all the game Len tapping his watch at the ref, protesting at any decision that didn't go his way. Good job he did refs are only human and if there was any benefit of doubt he wasn't going to get it :-) No pen anyway hit JJ on the shoulder.
  • Options
    Sounds like we're almost sitting back and trying to hold on to what we have once we take the lead , which was a stick often used to beat SCP with , it may be easier with the better players available now but a point away from home is good enough for me
    Only saw a brief glimpse of the goals , nice work by Gudmundsson but I thought Henderson looked a bit flappy as he found himself in no mans land making the wrong decision to stick or twist

0% top two ......... 2% 3rd-6th .........48% 7th-12th ......50% 13th-21st...... 0% Relegation
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I was expecting to see a decision on par with the one we got away with against Huddersfield after reading

(On a handball decision not given in his side's favour) "It wasn't just handball. He almost had hold of the ball, put it up his shirt and looked as fat as me."
    "If we are not going to get a penalty for that we might as well rewrite the rule book."

but bloody hell, what a whiner. Never ever a penalty and Evans needs to apologise to the officials for his comments.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Game - was ok for a bit and then what might as well have been an og. Didn't lose.
    Day - Doesn't get much better, Charlton old faces away in theeee north. Bridge Inn, cheers.
  • Options

From the BBC website:

(On a handball decision not given in his side's favour) "It wasn't just handball. He almost had hold of the ball, put it up his shirt and looked as fat as me."
    "If we are not going to get a penalty for that we might as well rewrite the rule book."

How long has Evans been in the game? Rule book? Football has laws.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

ross1 said:

Only trouble is, that if the FA bring in the new rules about non-EU players not coming to other than premier clubs, RD idea about African's joining us via his other clubs (if the rumours are true), will be a non-starter

So what happens when a Premier League team with say half a dozen African players get relegated ? Do they get a certain amount of time to get rid ? Not really feasible in my opinion. There are also plenty of Africans with French and Belgian passports. No way of excluding them.

Have players like Vetokele and Bulot got Belgium passports or African? It only says you will not be able to bring in players, so assuming if you have already signed them in the premier, they will be OK
    You have to have a passport for the country you are playing for.

• Options
    Thanks for a great summary of the game, Fanny. Sorry to hear about the loss of your m-i-l, though as when my Mum passed from the same disease, it can be a blessing for them. Anyway, back to the game, it seems as it did in the previous two home games, that we get a goal, then just sit back. Whether this is BP's tactic or just happens, I don't know, but do know it is costing us points. Last season we didn't have enough talent to expect much else, but after all the signings made, we should be better. It almost seems like a lack of interest, certainly a lack of concentration. We are riding our luck and that luck must run out sometime. I fear we may well face our first home defeat on Sat, and first away next Tuesday. I hope I am wrong, but we will need to both improve and concentrate more, or I will be right.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Back in the Cutlers Arms post-match. A few initial thoughts.

We started the game poorly and sloppily and got caught in possession in dangerous areas three times in the first five minutes. That seemed to set the tone and Evans and his coaches had clearly done their homework in terms of pressing the Bikey/Ben Haim/Buyens triumvirate.

Rotherham had much the better of the first half hour but Gudmundsson - who had an excellent first half (a class above) - scored a really good goal, jinking past a couple of players and curling a nice shot into the corner. Jacko also played very well, holding the team together, and we finished the half strongly.

The second half was completely dominated by Rotherham and, whilst they lacked some imagination in the final third, no team can concede that much possession and hope to survive. They totally overran us in midfield - I was very impressed with number 11, Paul Green - and whilst the goal came from some ridiculous play from Ben Haim, it would have been a travesty of justice if we had taken the three points. We were, for the most part, unable to string more than a couple of passes together and they found acres of space, as our players seemed unable to get across the ground.

Too many of our lads had an off day, although I was pleased to see Wiggins pick up well after a very poor first half. An element of complacency/lack of concentration from our central defenders, Buyens was below par and Moussa was ineffective. We really do need some support for Igor. A decent cameo by Bulot and Solly had a sound game.

We do need a plan B, as teams are now sussing out how to counter us. All that said, it's another point on the board and another game unbeaten.

A point away is always a good point and, make no mistake, this was very much a point gained.

Exactly how I saw it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not great but at least it's another point and nearly nicked it, had dealings with Evans and he is a re
  • Options
    Condolences Jean
  • Options
    A point gained rather than two lost .. the game emphasised our need for another, preferably tall and mobile striker .. our two (or was it 1+1/2 ?) strikers looked lightweight against big defenders .. Revell who is no Crouch let alone an Ibrahimovic, gave Bikey and Ben Haim a lot of problems in the air, though paradoxically, Rotherham were more dangerous when he went off and the experienced and skilful Becchio came on .. a decent performance that showed that the Millers are an improving outfit as much as that we are now a resilient and well organised team on the upgrade .. remember, Fulham we aint ((:>)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    First half was great, second half was awful. I was
    Addickted said:

Blucher said:

Back in the Cutlers Arms post-match. A few initial thoughts.

We started the game poorly and sloppily and got caught in possession in dangerous areas three times in the first five minutes. That seemed to set the tone and Evans and his coaches had clearly done their homework in terms of pressing the Bikey/Ben Haim/Buyens triumvirate.

Rotherham had much the better of the first half hour but Gudmundsson - who had an excellent first half (a class above) - scored a really good goal, jinking past a couple of players and curling a nice shot into the corner. Jacko also played very well, holding the team together, and we finished the half strongly.

The second half was completely dominated by Rotherham and, whilst they lacked some imagination in the final third, no team can concede that much possession and hope to survive. They totally overran us in midfield - I was very impressed with number 11, Paul Green - and whilst the goal came from some ridiculous play from Ben Haim, it would have been a travesty of justice if we had taken the three points. We were, for the most part, unable to string more than a couple of passes together and they found acres of space, as our players seemed unable to get across the ground.

Too many of our lads had an off day, although I was pleased to see Wiggins pick up well after a very poor first half. An element of complacency/lack of concentration from our central defenders, Buyens was below par and Moussa was ineffective. We really do need some support for Igor. A decent cameo by Bulot and Solly had a sound game.

We do need a plan B, as teams are now sussing out how to counter us. All that said, it's another point on the board and another game unbeaten.

A point away is always a good point and, make no mistake, this was very much a point gained.

Exactly how I saw it.

Saves me the effort of writing my two pennies worth as spot on!

Those who were there, what are the words to the Gudmundsson song? Tried to follow but couldn't pick it up!
  • Options

Just home & have only read first couple of posts.

Decent first half performance and excellent goal scored. No-one stood out for me but still not exactly impressed by The Mousse..

Knew they'd come out all guns blazing in 2nd half & we were put immediately on the back foot. But with our solid defence, and a break away or three, I felt we could hold on to our lead and even add to it.

But what the feck do I know ????

I think we need to demand a steward's enquiry into the half time tea served up in the dressing room ....Something happened to our lads in that 15 mins or so - it was def NOT the same team that exited the tunnel.

Whether orders from BB were obeyed out there, whether the players are already suffering from 2 matches pw or whether we are so arrogant that we feel invincible , I know not. But lack of movement when we DID retain the ball, defending so deeply that the back 4 should have worn snorkels & flippers & the development of complete colour blindness from all in black inevitably led to the equaliser. We failed to learn a lesson from their offside goal and have seemingly failed to learn any lessons from Brighton & last Tuesday evening.

Utter bewilderment all around us in the away end was the result as was 2 points lost. And , it could well have been all 3.

We rallied and looked interested in coming forward in the last 10 mins but it was far too little too late. Really don't know what I can add to that except to say that I felt let down by the players, and the manager which makes me sad. I'll go to Norwich, Leeds midweek, Bolton etc, all things being equal but a good percentage of the 1,100+ that travelled today won't & I can't say I blame them. We don't expect to win every week but we do expect our players to give everything in the cause. Sadly, for 45 mins this afternoon, it hurts me to say, there was a bit left in their tanks...or they are so unfit, it beggars belief.

OK- Igor is a marked man , in fact , double marked. But he is apt to go down a tad easily for me and referees will soon become aware of this. Young Jordan has been misplacing passes more often than usual in the last 2 games which is a worry although I do know that he is still learning his trade. I thought Rhoys was stronger today & could have scored a worldy in the first half. The Beast & Tal were their solid selves until a mistake led to their goal. But for me, as on Tuesday, our midfield is too lightweight and a partner for Igor who can take the knocks is a must. And the "game plan" when we go ahead surely needs an urgent re-think...

So, a disappointing afternoon following a nightmare crawl up the M1to the game during which we learned that Mr F's Mum had passed away . At 94, with dementia & in a Care Home, she had been hanging in there for the last week or so and it was not a shock but nevertheless didn't lighten the mood. I know we're still unbeaten which is a positive but how long it will continue is a concern. Surely the best form of defence is attack ? I sincerely hope that the lack of a midweek match will enable all concerned to work unhindered on a different game plan for the next time we score first or 1 point may well become that old Eurovision nightmare, nil points.

In BB we trust....

Excellent balanced summary as always FF, and I'm so sorry to hear about your added sadness.

• Options
    uie2 said:

I agree. Jacko now appears to be the weak link in the team. Sadly his legs have gone and he struggles to impose himself in midfield. Also his goal scoring opportunities have been diminished by the tactics that Charlton now play, sadly I think Bob Peters needs to rethink the midfield set up.
  • Options

ross1 said:

No loans before 30th, Norwich game, so may have someone in for that

Been away, why the 30th?
    If you get a loan in before 30th, they will have to go back to their club after maximum 93 days. If we are thinking of taking a player on loan with a view to buying, as hinted by Ketts, you want it to be continuous, so loan starts 30th and goes straight into a buying position. I hope I have made myself clear.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words, lads and lasses. They are much appreciated.
  • Options
    Blucher's excellent report gives the real definitive on the game imo. Brave man for being in the Cutler's Arms - from the outside it looked a well rough, home pub!

Just to add that it was a surprise not to see Tucadean and Wilson brought on. We needed a hold up player on and Wilson's energy and commitment could have helped turn the tide a little earlier.

I thought Wiggins and Jackson were a lot better than some on here are saying. Harriot was a disgrace when he was on. Literally failing to pass a ball 5 yards back to Solly ( he underhit it), being caught in possession or passing to no one. It actually made his previous cameo against Watford look decent, it was that bad. Callum phone me next time you want to know why you are in the team. Could you ask BP for me why you are in the starting 18 please?