Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reclaim The Antigallican ?

Comments

• Options
    Wonder if would have survived if it had in fact become home fans pub
  • Options
    Went in there on a Tuesday night before a game in the early seventies. Joe Mercer and Dave Mackay were sitting up the bar.
    Saw them both walk out of the ground with half hour to go.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

doubt it apart from when there's a biggish crowd at Charlton now, majority of the other pubs are empty enough although that feckin hill up to the village is a slog.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Forgot to say the barmaid did say whoever takes it over has to keep it as a pub, however true that is I do not know.

That is because it is the designated "away" pub for the football I think.

Same as The Horse was a designated "home" pub, but look what happened to that...
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    The end of an era.

Used to use it a lot in the late 70s/early 80s when Richie Collingwood was the guvnor (he's still a good mate) in partnership with Les Burnett. Worked behind the bar when at Uni and played for the darts team which was a very good team back then. Had some brilliant nights in there with live music and (cough) some very friendly young ladies!! I was young once!!

Les also had the Prince of Orange in Greenwich and a few other interests!! They bought the Anchor and Hope and done it up - Les lived above it and Richie moved down to run it, putting Vic Parker (another good mate) in charge of the Anti. When Vic left to go back to his window cleaning round I stopped using it - so that must be 30+ years ago. Got to say it looked a shithole the last time I walked by it!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Reclaim the Antigallican? Nah, you're alright.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Doubtful but would likely have survived if we weren't stuck in league one.

Something else to blame RD for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a non drinker on match days I have not frequented any of the pubs around the ground EVER. Where do most CAFC fans go ? I'm assuming the Royal Oak or the Lib club (although I don't really see that as a pub). I always thought the RO being a small pub & especially where it is rather awkward. Many times walking past there have been groups drinking/having a fag on the pavement, meaning pedestrians having to walk in the road at the risk of getting run over.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Weatherspoon's?

Museum?

Gastro/Real ale pub

My money's on a museum. Boom industry at the moment
    Museum or mosque?

Make your mind up ffs
    Maybe a museum of mosques?
    Already a mosque opposite the club shop. Maybe if they move into the Anti the museum can have their building. Would save the broken lift problem.
    I take it you have reported this most unsatisfactory state of affairs to the Chief Operating Officer? I mean he can't have much to do these days with no one to watch over him. :wink:
  • Options

As a non drinker on match days I have not frequented any of the pubs around the ground EVER. Where do most CAFC fans go ? I'm assuming the Royal Oak or the Lib club (although I don't really see that as a pub). I always thought the RO being a small pub & especially where it is rather awkward. Many times walking past there have been groups drinking/having a fag on the pavement, meaning pedestrians having to walk in the road at the risk of getting run over.

Charcoal Burner, Sidcup
  • Options
    the anti still opens on match days only now
  • Options
    visited once but never returned.
    I think I will miss the name more than the pub.
  • Options
    Would be worried about whichever pub becomes the new away one. Will likely put off home fans and away support isn’t enough to keep the pub alive as shown by this.

Very sad.
  • Options
    Was a popular meeting place pre match and midweek mid 70s...place always was rocking but then you could just park outside....was literally a lifetime ago ....council should list the facade in my view...a very disheartening sign of the times
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I wonder if it would have survived had Charlton been run as a football club?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed It said:

I've only ever been in there once. I was having stomach issues on the train home and had to jump off at Charlton and dash in there before I had an accident. Sad to see yet another pub close but to be honest, that's about all the place was good for.

Bet they didn't have any toilet paper.
  • Options
    I set foot in there once in the 80’s. I’m pretty certain the second foot didn’t make it inside as I immediately realized a mistake had been made.
  • Options

CARD should buy it out of the protest fund, rename it the Antiduchateletian and only serve Guinness.

• Options
    lolwray said:

Was a popular meeting place pre match and midweek mid 70s...place always was rocking but then you could just park outside....was literally a lifetime ago ....council should list the facade in my view...a very disheartening sign of the times

It certainly was - with big Don on the door who took no sh*t from anyone.

• Options

Is this definitely the case?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I think there is a pavement on the other side of the road. Suggest you check this out. Better safe than sorry!
    Yes, you are correct. There is a pavement on the other side of the road, but why should I have to cross the road (with the prospect of getting knocked down) when I'm already on the pavement.

(only joking - I don't now usually walk up that road. I used to park down by the retail parks but now park much nearer to the ground)
  • Options
    The way our crowds are dwindling you may soon be able to park a lot nearer after they knock down the west stand due to lack of use and use that side as a drive-in! You will be able to wind your window down and purchase packets of 14 chips throughout the game.
  • Options

• Options
    yes spoke to the landlord on saturday
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

lolwray said:

It certainly was - with big Don on the door who took no sh*t from anyone.

Yes remember big Don !