Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reclaim The Antigallican ?

Comments

• Options
    Clearly this is based on a police decision so will never be overturned.

What interests me is the fact that back in the 70's, when football violence was probably at its peak, the Anti was a home pub! (and a pretty good one at that).
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Don't understand the fuss anyway. I went in there for the first time in years when we played Blackburn last season - sticky floored dump playing weird dance music. It felt like the sort of place you'd find in Blackpool, set up to cater for people who are so high that they want to go clubbing at lunchtime. Away fans are welcome to it.

Erm, that would be its jukebox.
  • Options

I'd love going to Charlton as an away fan.

This. Loads of Wendies and Utd i speak to love a trip down to the Valley for it's ease of getting there and good local station, pub and short walk to ground.
  • Options
    All the talk of it being a police/council decision is very silly imo. Sure, they'd prefer to keep it that way, but can't see how they could possibly descriminate against anyone based purely on your choice of football team. Yeah, they could turn us away if they felt it a potential problem, but that would only be the case if the away fans were already in situ.

Besides, Greenwich council are scared of us now we're the favourite English club of Brussels..............;-)
  • Options
    Why do we not campaign for there to be a pub close to all grounds dedicated t away fans only. It seems to me to be a good idea.
  • Options
    Tbh, I dont really see the problem of you guys reclaiming it.

There are no away fan pubs at Tottenham. If you want a pre-match beer, its Hamilton Hall at Liverpool St or pretty much nothing. Every single pub from Seven Sisters down Tottenham High Road is Spurs.

It really wouldnt take much for away supporters to drink in either Greenwich or Woolwich beforehand, would it?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Who wants to leave their current home matchday pub and start to drink in the antigallican?
  • Options
    Keeps the visitors' pound in the local area. I imagine some people who head into Charlton an hour or two before the game will also buy something to eat or something from a newsagent in the area, otherwise if they couldn't get a pint near the ground they'd turn up 20 minutes before kick-off. I also imagine OB prefer that the visitors filter into Charlton over the course of an hour or two rather than potentially 2000 visitors all jumping on a train from London Bridge at 14.30.

Are the other pubs overcrowded? Are all the other pubs nearby so bad that we want to have another one?
  • Options
    Last time i went there i struggled to get out cos my feet kept sticking to the dirty tacky floor. It's a hole and the away fans are welcome to it.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

There are no away fan pubs at Tottenham. If you want a pre-match beer, its Hamilton Hall at Liverpool St or pretty much nothing. Every single pub from Seven Sisters down Tottenham High Road is Spurs.

It really wouldnt take much for away supporters to drink in either Greenwich or Woolwich beforehand, would it?

Pub I used to go in when we played spurs, the Antwerp has closed I think. Was a home only place but I met up with a spurs mate who's local it was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2014

JohnBoyUK said:

Pub I used to go in when we played spurs, the Antwerp has closed I think. Was a home only place but I met up with a spurs mate who's local it was.
    Well hopefully it'll be back up and running properly soon http://www.antwerparms.co.uk/

(Should add to that a significant donation was made by Spurs to get the fund up and running too...so fingers crossed it all works out!)
  • Options

I'd love going to Charlton as an away fan.

This. Loads of Wendies and Utd i speak to love a trip down to the Valley for it's ease of getting there and good local station, pub and short walk to ground.

At the end of the day, if Charlton is seen as a decent away trip, more away fans will turn up, and while the away teams will benefit from the support, we'll get their cash.
  • Options
    I went into The Anti about a year ago, pre a Valley meeting. It was a dump.
    I'd rather keep the away fans in there, than have them everywhere else.
    It will obviously lead to more agg, if they can't go in there.
  • Options
    Have a vague recollection of having a Chinese or Thai in there a few years back...am I dreaming that up?
  • Options
    Plenty of much better boozers elsewhere for us to drink in. Genuinely don't get why we should 'make it ours'.

The place is a shit hole and it's easy for the police to control. Let the away fans have it as far as I'm concerned. Means we can drink in much nicer places without any qualms whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Choice said:

So if for example 100 Charlton fans started drinking in the Anti at 5pm tonight, would the OB come in and kick us all out when Wolves arrive ?

If you are ITK then you'll be aware that the Wolves Subway Army have been plotted up there since 11
  • Options
    Choice said:

Choice said:

So if for example 100 Charlton fans started drinking in the Anti at 5pm tonight, would the OB come in and kick us all out when Wolves arrive ?

Thing is why would 100 Charlton fans start drinking in the Anti tonight? For what purpose?
    just wondered what the stance would be if it happened ...was only an example

Choice, you've been away a while - you'll see that some people would argue black was white if they could. He's clearly missed you.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Yeah definitely wouldn't want them spoiling the upmarket Lib
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Think you'll find the state it's in is probably because of the way the away fans treat it, think about when you go to an away game boozing all day. It'd only take a clean up and it being treated with some respect to stay in good knack, as per any pub
  • Options
    razil said:

why can away fans not drink in the ground

Cos there arent enough toilets on the Coaches / Trains home ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2014

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Kap10 said:

Choice said:

Probably.

Surprised that the Landlord would want to make it a home fans pub, there are quite f ew pubs where home fans drink and are loyal to those pubs, mine is the ROD, so there is a chance he would reduce the number of customers on a match day with the away fans banned. It is nearly always full so I would imagine he would lose business.
    sticky floored dump playing weird dance music. It felt like the sort of place you'd find in Blackpool, set up to cater for people who are so high that they want to go clubbing at lunchtime
    sounds amazing
  • Options
    Id rather have the Jimmy Seed Stand than the pub back back.
  • Options
    I honestly don't think many people at all would go in the JS stand if they could, it's a crap stand.
  • Options
    I will be going to the Swan, I don't like it there, but I'll be going there nonetheless.
  • Options
    Told the pub has closed but the B and B is a separate business and may stay open.

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    I remember reading when we were in the Premier League that he was making £7k on matchdays from away supporters. Must take it's toll when the away support is 300 rather than 3000.

Terrible pub last time I went in, but still sad to see another one disappearing. Must create an issue for the police next time there's a decent away crowd in town. Sure Blackburn will sell out at the end of the season.