Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options
    I'd be more worried about Surrey if it wasn't for the fact that I've been assured those youngsters (Harrinath, Meeker and Van Den Bergh still to bat) are good enough to do the job ;-)
  • Options

Aneesh Kapil Freddie Van den Burgh and Jack Winslade join Rory Burns as under 25s in the Surrey squad for tonight! And this is a squad missing many of our usual players that fall in that age range!

"Join" and actually "play" are two different things. And "play" and "perform" is another level all together.

Kent with their young team are just about to stay unbeaten in the comp. And that's after winning three successive CC matches.
    I very much agree! All I am doing in is highlighting the depth we have with these youngsters that when the youngsters that are playing and performing are rested injured or playing for England we have more who are good enough to come in and can put in promising performances in this competition that we are not put right much into or concentrating on this year! Last year this allowed Curran sibley and Dunn to get more first team games and they have all had an impact on this season.. hopefully these will do the same..
  • Options
    Surrey sign Ben Foakes... as if we needed another keeper batsman! Good signing none the less.. young with lots of potential!
  • Options
    Another player pinched from another county. Are surrey trying to field a team of wicket keepers ? Burns wilson Davies and now foakes...
  • Options

Another player pinched from another county. Are surrey trying to field a team of wicket keepers ? Burns wilson Davies and now foakes...

Wouldn't say pinched.. its being reported his contact was ended or not extended by mutual consent!
  • Options
    Couldn't beat Leicestershire. Promotion looks like it has passed Surrey by this season. Only 20/20 left now.
  • Options
    Brian said:

Couldn't beat Leicestershire. Promotion looks like it has passed Surrey by this season. Only 20/20 left now.

We will see if we finish above Kent! As Graham Ford said at the beginning of the season promotion is not he aim we want to build a team for the future and I think we have done that!
  • Options
    Brian said:

I'm off to Edgbaston on saturday - lets hope the weather is good.
  • Options

Brian said:

We will see if we finish above Kent! As Graham Ford said at the beginning of the season promotion is not he aim we want to build a team for the future and I think we have done that!
    Lol !

Promotion is NEVER the aim when you know you have no chance of achieving it !!

:-)

• Options

Brian said:

Graham Ford is one person at Surrey I do rate. Kent played some of their best cricket in the last twenty years under him. I wouldn't mind having him back at the true home of cricket at Canterbury.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Brian said:

I'm off to Edgbaston on saturday - lets hope the weather is good.
    Hope so too. It is a great day for fans. Warwickshire (Birmingham) v Hampshire in the final with Warwickshire winning if Bell and Woakes play.

• Options
    do the 'Birmingham' fans still sing Warwickshire rather than Birmingham?

Was this name change controversial ?
  • Options
    Jesus Christ.

Well played Worcs, and Shantry in particular, but what a ruddy awful collapse.
  • Options
    How can we lose eight wickets when we only need a hundred or so to win.. shocking.. none of them showed any bottle!
  • Options

We also have other young players that are getting in 14 man squads for these games but not quite making the cut just yet! Tom Jewell and George Edwards to name two but there are more that I have missed! Also if you look at other counties you see plenty of players produced by surrey! Chris Jordan and Michael carberry to name the ones to recently feature for England! There are plenty more around!

I see Edwards never did make it and has been released by Surrey - though promptly snapped up by Lancashire:

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/29920125
  • Options

We also have other young players that are getting in 14 man squads for these games but not quite making the cut just yet! Tom Jewell and George Edwards to name two but there are more that I have missed! Also if you look at other counties you see plenty of players produced by surrey! Chris Jordan and Michael carberry to name the ones to recently feature for England! There are plenty more around!

I see Edwards never did make it and has been released by Surrey - though promptly snapped up by Lancashire:

Oh dear ! A surfeit of riches at Slurrey ?

• Options

Oh dear ! A surfeit of riches at Slurrey ?

This "slam it against the wall and see if it sticks" attitude occurs across the Surrey young age group sides too. For example, Surrey used approximately 30 players in their U11 side last summer as opposed to Kent's squad of just 15.

Not sure that is a reflection of their wealth (as against Kent's lack of it) or that they are trying to create an early link with those players specifically on the home county borders. Or, perhaps, it is a combination of the two.

• Options
    Ohh do piss off to your own thread kindly please...
  • Options
    As a Surrey member can not say sorry to see Edwards go, he was making no progress with us, lets hope Lancashire can turn it around for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So this summer's activity!
    Ansari Burns Curran Sibley Wilson Meaker Roy and Batty have all signed new contracts.

We have signed
    David Balcombe fast bowler from Hampshire
    James Burke a batting all rounder from Somerset
    and Ben Foakes a keeper batsman from Essex

Dernbach Tremlett and van den bergh have contracts beyond this season.

Davies Harinath Linley and solanki are out of contract at the end of the season..

I have probably missed a few the club's website and the BBC aren't completely up to date..
    So what do we think?? Strong squad?? Certainly a young squad with a good amount of experience thrown in??

Which competition will we do best in.. For me this squad suits the T20 but we will also be in the position for a good promotion push!
  • Options
    Well, bully for you, canters !

Yawn.....

:-)
  • Options

So this summer's activity!
    Ansari Burns Curran Sibley Wilson Meaker Roy and Batty have all signed new contracts.

We have signed
    David Balcombe fast bowler from Hampshire
    James Burke a batting all rounder from Somerset
    and Ben Foakes a keeper batsman from Essex

Dernbach Tremlett and van den bergh have contracts beyond this season.

Davies Harinath Linley and solanki are out of contract at the end of the season..

I have probably missed a few the club's website and the BBC aren't completely up to date..
    So what do we think?? Strong squad?? Certainly a young squad with a good amount of experience thrown in??

Which competition will we do best in.. For me this squad suits the T20 but we will also be in the position for a good promotion push!

David Balcombe's career high was when he was on loan with Kent in 2011. It will be interesting to see if he can reproduce that for Surrey.

• Options
    So the squad for this year

Burns Harinath Roy Sibley and Solanki the batsmbatsmen

Keepers Davies Wilson Foakes

All rounders Ansari Burke and Curran

Spinners batty and van den bergh

And the quicks Dunn Meaner Dernbach Linley tremlett Balcombe and the BBC and os both say we have Azhar Mahmood for one day and t20s again..

For me we are a spinner short as I'm not sure Freddie van den bergh is up to it.. possibly a batsman too depends on what sort of season Harinath and sibley are going to have..
    as for the fast bowlers a lot depends on what Balcombe is like although I haven't heard great things about him and whether maker can stay fit.. For me Dunn is the key quick this year going to be class!

Of course there is plenty of time for new signings and I don't know much about young players coming through! We have the usual big name overseas player who will do very little to look forward to.. and probably pietersen constantly flopping in the t20s again...
  • Options
    Sangakkara has an offer on the table to sign for 2015, providing he retires from international cricket after the World Cup, which seems to be the case.

Ross Taylor was also mentioned last season. I'd be happy with Amla coming back.

I'd also have Dilshan back again for the T20, but not KP. he took the piss last season. he wasn't committed.

I've full confidence that Alec Stewart will eventually get it right as Director of Cricket, but the overseas signings need to be more astute.

I notice a few Kent fans stray onto this thread. it's good to see Adam Riley at Charlton away games. my son spotted him at Bournemouth and one of the other games, might have been Reading.

• Options
    For the first championship game of the season this would be my starting eleven as the squad stands.

Burns
    Ansari
    Wilson
    Sibley
    Roy
    Davies
    Curran
    Batty
    Meaker
    Dunn
    Dernbach

Plenty of bowling options including two spinners and four quick. And bat all the way down to batty!

Ansari whilst not an opener scored a lot of runs there last year so deserves a chance there. Hopefully burns Wilson and Roy can recreate last year's form... We all know Sibley can do it but he needs to become more consistent with it...

Meaker is not likely to stay fit for the whole season so Linley and the rest will get a chance...

Haven't Included Burke or Balcombe as I don't know enough about them... foakes I think is more for the future and one day t20 this year..
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Sangakkara has an offer on the table to sign for 2015, providing he retires from international cricket after the World Cup, which seems to be the case.

Ross Taylor was also mentioned last season. I'd be happy with Amla coming back.

I'd also have Dilshan back again for the T20, but not KP. he took the piss last season. he wasn't committed.

I've full confidence that Alec Stewart will eventually get it right as Director of Cricket, but the overseas signings need to be more astute.

I notice a few Kent fans stray onto this thread. it's good to see Adam Riley at Charlton away games. my son spotted him at Bournemouth and one of the other games, might have been Reading.

I've heard the sangakkara rumour as well and certainly wouldn't say no! And taylor wouldnt be a bad ahout either.. doubt we will get Amla now he's SA captain.

Dilshan was quality last year with the bat and decent few overs bowled too so definitely him for the t20..

Agree about KP, no point him being there but a name like that does draw the crowds..
  • Options
    Batting looks weak(er) to me.
  • Options
    Been a batsman short for last few years and continues to be the case with squad as it is
  • Options
    So Sangakkara in as overseas player is a top move by the club experienced and a quality bat!

Azhar Mahmood in for T20's is a useful player in that format with bat and ball! One of the beat bowlers in the tournament last year!

Squad is starting to come together will hopefully add dilshan or another for T20

Batty named as captain which I think is not a bad moved as he is experienced passionate and knows the club !harsh on Gary Wilson who I thought did well last year and deserved a shot at it full time!