Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Top game tonight by the sounds of it.. A much weaken Surrey team I hasten to add before all you Kent fans get over excited! Surprised Tremlett bowled so well but then he was shielded from the danger overs...

As for the best young players there's no doubt in my mind..

Me neither, canters ....

I'm afraid your going to be disappointed fanny! :)
  • Sam Billings for one. That's 219 in his last two innings coming in at "6" - off exactly 100 balls.

Also, I would suggest that the Surrey definition of "young" players is different to ours - given that we had six players (five of our top seven) under 25 and Surrey had just two playing today!
  • As I said a much weakened Surrey team missing our younger talent! Roy is with England lions Dunn is rested Sibley is with England under 19s Curran is injured! And others aren't quite making the team! However Burns Harinath Ansari and Meaker are all under 25! And Davies and Wilson aren't that much older..
  • Correction Harinath is 27! My bad thought he was much younger.. broke through into the squad later than most.. still a useful player..
  • We also have jack winslade and another who's name I forget off playing for England under 19s.. Both yet to make their first team debut... looking at that squad Kent have provided exactly zero players to it..
  • We also have other young players that are getting in 14 man squads for these games but not quite making the cut just yet! Tom Jewell and George Edwards to name two but there are more that I have missed! Also if you look at other counties you see plenty of players produced by surrey! Chris Jordan and Michael carberry to name the ones to recently feature for England! There are plenty more around!
  • As I said a much weakened Surrey team missing our younger talent! Roy is with England lions Dunn is rested Sibley is with England under 19s Curran is injured! And others aren't quite making the team! However Burns Harinath Ansari and Meaker are all under 25! And Davies and Wilson aren't that much older..

As you say, Harinath is 27. Meaker is nearer 26 than 25 and both Wilson and Davies are 28 - that's not young!

Six of Kent's team are aged 21, 21, 22, 23, 23 and 24 respectively and of those Bell-Drummond, Northeast, Billings and Cowdrey have scored no less than 582 runs in the last two games between them!

Both Daniel Bell-Drummond and Adam Ball (also 21 but not playing in today's game) played extensively for all England ages up to and including the U19s for which Ball was Captain.

As for Sibley, take his 242 out of the equation and he averages a little over 13 in first class cricket. England U19 cricket is all very well but players have to kick on and his scores of 20, 10, 0, 1 & 4 in the CC this season demonstrate that "one swallow doesn't make a summer."

I'll also wager Meaker will be dropped for the next match given that his 26.5 overs in the last three games have gone for 226 runs - that's 8.5 an over!

The rest, if they really were that good would be in the first team. A first team that has failed to beat us in the last three games. With and without your "superstars" such as KP, Dilshan, Smith and Amla and your fantastic crop of youngsters.

The future of Kent is bright - and young ;-)

• edited August 2014
    BOOM! that last post is right up there with one of the best I've probably ever seen. Sit back down surrey fans
  • We also have other young players that are getting in 14 man squads for these games but not quite making the cut just yet! Tom Jewell and George Edwards to name two but there are more that I have missed! Also if you look at other counties you see plenty of players produced by surrey! Chris Jordan and Michael carberry to name the ones to recently feature for England! There are plenty more around!

My Dad's bigger than YOUR Dad !

Ner ner ne ner ner !

As you say, Harinath is 27. Meaker is nearer 26 than 25 and both Wilson and Davies are 28 - that's not young!

Six of Kent's team are aged 21, 21, 22, 23, 23 and 24 respectively and of those Bell-Drummond, Northeast, Billings and Cowdrey have scored no less than 582 runs in the last two games between them!

Both Daniel Bell-Drummond and Adam Ball (also 21 but not playing in today's game) played extensively for all England ages up to and including the U19s for which Ball was Captain.

As for Sibley, take his 242 out of the equation and he averages a little over 13 in first class cricket. England U19 cricket is all very well but players have to kick on and his scores of 20, 10, 0, 1 & 4 in the CC this season demonstrate that "one swallow doesn't make a summer."

I'll also wager Meaker will be dropped for the next match given that his 26.5 overs in the last three games have gone for 226 runs - that's 8.5 an over!

The rest, if they really were that good would be in the first team. A first team that has failed to beat us in the last three games. With and without your "superstars" such as KP, Dilshan, Smith and Amla and your fantastic crop of youngsters.

For a batsman 27/28 may not be young but it is certainly not old! They all have at least another ten years of in the county game!!

I agree Billings is class but I'm not entirely convinced of the rest of them! We will wait and see!

As for Sibley you can't take a score out of someone's average that's what an average is.. also considering he fact he has only played a few games here and there at the end of last season and beginning of this one because he is still at school and is picked for more Han one England age group! You should also consider his run in the side was not helped by our big money superstar that id happily do without smiths constant failure piling the pressure on a 17 year old! Top captaincy...

Meaker is still in he age range you gave who cares if he is nearly 26... as for his form his is recovering from serious injury trying to find his rhythm.. He has only had two bad games in the last two years.. and no matter what you say he is absolute class and far better than any of your bowlers when fully fit!

With Roy Sibley Ansari burns Meaker Dunn and Curran all fit and available then we would have more in that age group as you!

As for the ones that haven't broken through into the team there are many around the club who are of the view they are good enough and will break through very soon.. I think they would have broken into your team at the beginning of this season.. and as I have said many times I'd much rather we used these players than big name flops like Smith who was useless in the two half seasons he has been here and frankly I'm not bothered that he won't be returning.. Amla is always class but hasn't spent much time here.. Dilshan has been useful but we could have done without him! KP has got the odd 20/30 at a useful time but has hardly set the world alight! Another year of his form and he will struggle to get an ipl contract.. but if these are the ones that bring in the crowds fill the oval and get us some money then so be it..

As you may have noticed I prefer to get behind any young English player with potential rather than slate them for playing for the "wrong" county!
  • Sponsored links:

For a batsman 27/28 may not be young but it is certainly not old! They all have at least another ten years of in the county game!!

I agree Billings is class but I'm not entirely convinced of the rest of them! We will wait and see!

As for Sibley you can't take a score out of someone's average that's what an average is.. also considering he fact he has only played a few games here and there at the end of last season and beginning of this one because he is still at school and is picked for more Han one England age group! You should also consider his run in the side was not helped by our big money superstar that id happily do without smiths constant failure piling the pressure on a 17 year old! Top captaincy...

Meaker is still in he age range you gave who cares if he is nearly 26... as for his form his is recovering from serious injury trying to find his rhythm.. He has only had two bad games in the last two years.. and no matter what you say he is absolute class and far better than any of your bowlers when fully fit!

With Roy Sibley Ansari burns Meaker Dunn and Curran all fit and available then we would have more in that age group as you!

As for the ones that haven't broken through into the team there are many around the club who are of the view they are good enough and will break through very soon.. I think they would have broken into your team at the beginning of this season.. and as I have said many times I'd much rather we used these players than big name flops like Smith who was useless in the two half seasons he has been here and frankly I'm not bothered that he won't be returning.. Amla is always class but hasn't spent much time here.. Dilshan has been useful but we could have done without him! KP has got the odd 20/30 at a useful time but has hardly set the world alight! Another ear of his form and he will struggle to get an ipl contract.. but if these are the ones that bring in the crowds fill the oval and get us some money then so be it..
  • And yes my dad is bigger than your dad! Massive 6ft 6 borderline giant! ;)
  • Even the Surrey thread is better than the Kent one! ;)
  • And yes my dad is bigger than your dad! Massive 6ft 6 borderline giant! ;)
  • You forgot to mention yesterday's 12th man and playing today for Surrey amongst your youngsters, Freddie Van Den Burgh.

Was it because he's a Bickley boy?
  • Now now , girls.
  • I watched Billings bat last season and he looked to have a bit about him - even Athers was wetting himself about him - lets hope he can push up the order and score some runs and maybe get into the England reckoning.
  • Billings will be blighted by the fact Buttler looks set to keep the gloves for years to come. Bit of healthy competition though.
  • CHG said:

Billings will be blighted by the fact Buttler looks set to keep the gloves for years to come. Bit of healthy competition though.

Ah , is he keeper ? - is that why they let Jones go?
  • CHG said:

Billings will be blighted by the fact Buttler looks set to keep the gloves for years to come. Bit of healthy competition though.

Agreed but certainly if Sam does continue to perform with the bat then certainly there is room for both of them in the one day side.

Are we forgetting that Surrey have three keepers in their side? Surely one of them is better than Billings?

• Sponsored links:

• Jones still there, playing for Sandwich CC, I think he is now firmly second choice now, may retire, move on next season.
  • CHG said:

Ah , is he keeper ? - is that why they let Jones go?
    Yes. Although Jones is still there in the background to help where he can.

• CHG said:

Jones still there, playing for Sandwich CC, I think he is now firmly second choice now, may retire, move on next season.

I saw him playing for Gloucester on tv the other week.
  • CHG said:

Jones still there, playing for Sandwich CC, I think he is now firmly second choice now, may retire, move on next season.

I saw him playing for Gloucester on tv the other week.
    He went on loan there as cover but has been back since mid June. Plays for the 2nd X1 as a mentor for our youngsters and is setting up his own coaching academy. In fact, he had already started doing that pre season and coached my youngest son at both Min Patel's academy and the Kent under 11s.

• You forgot to mention yesterday's 12th man and playing today for Surrey amongst your youngsters, Freddie Van Den Burgh.

Was it because he's a Bickley boy?

I did indeed forget Freddie for no particular reason! I did say there was more than one that I knew were around but I couldn't think of hem off the top of my head..
  • CHG said:

Agreed but certainly if Sam does continue to perform with the bat then certainly there is room for both of them in the one day side.

Are we forgetting that Surrey have three keepers in their side? Surely one of them is better than Billings?

In terms of keeping ability I am no judge but all I can say is Wilson has taken some outstanding catches since taking over the gloves! The one in the t20 quarter final (did you have one of those? ;)) was unbelievable and to see it live was even better! In terms of batting ability I'd say billings is a better one day batsman than Davies Burns and Wilson! In my humble opinion Wilson is a better championship batsman.. He has scored runs everywhere from opener to 7! One point to remember Davies had two good seasons especially in one day cricket and got in England squads there were even well respected commentators saying he could get in the test side with his batting alone! Laughable now as he has been a steaming pile of shite ever since...
  • Aneesh Kapil Freddie Van den Burgh and Jack Winslade join Rory Burns as under 25s in the Surrey squad for tonight! And this is a squad missing many of our usual players that fall in that age range!
  • Aneesh Kapil Freddie Van den Burgh and Jack Winslade join Rory Burns as under 25s in the Surrey squad for tonight! And this is a squad missing many of our usual players that fall in that age range!

"Join" and actually "play" are two different things. And "play" and "perform" is another level all together.

Kent with their young team are just about to stay unbeaten in the comp. And that's after winning three successive CC matches.

"Join" and actually "play" are two different things. And "play" and "perform" is another level all together.

Kent with their young team are just about to stay unbeaten in the comp. And that's after winning three successive CC matches.
    Dont count your chickens yet Addict.

Dont count your chickens yet Addict.
    Piece of cake. I've told all the Kent supporters that they've been Charltonised.