Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Hamer - Thanks !

Comments

• Options
    I don't think Weaver was that bad, again another player whose people's personal feelings about them clouded their judgement.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Fiiiiiish said:

Fiiiiiish said:

No love for Weaver?

Only love I've got for Weaver was when he passed the ball out to John Robinson in the 2000/01 (?) season who then returned the favour by passing the ball back

Unfortunately Weaver then proved his amazing skills by failing to complete the one.two, instead he hit a beautiful air shot resulting in another goal that afternoon for Charlton
    Remember him getting beat by a 30 yard free kick against Coventry at the Valley when we were relegated. It was like a pass into the net.....he was absolute garbage.
    God remember that as well... Wasnt that his last game for us before he was dropped in favour of Rob Elliott?

Seems he wasnt remembered fondly by Aberdeen fans when he played for Dundee United after leaving Charlton either (ironic how he went to play for Aberdeen as well eventually).

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/nicky-weaver-set-to-head-back-1046738

Weaver's professional pride was dented by losing seven goals to Rangers last week.

And although seeing the funny side of being targeted by Dons' snowball throwers on Saturday he acknowledged losing to Aberdeen was not how he wanted to bow out.
  • Options
    Randolph? The bloke played a few games for us in L1 before moving on. Hamer was our number 1 for three seasons and in that time he won L1, finished 9th a division up and then

Alnwick and Randolph were also better than Blamer.

Randolph? The bloke played a few games for us in L1 before moving on. Hamer was our number 1 for three seasons and in that time he won L1, finished 9th a division up and then had a mixed but ultimately decent season after that for a side in a relegation scrap right from the start. He made mistakes, he also made brilliant saves. Like any keeper his time here wasn't perfect but he dug us out of a lot of holes and I think people only felt the need to call him rubbish because he was a big personality and that works against you when you make mistakes. I hope he has a great season at Leicester
  • Options

Fiiiiiish said:

Fiiiiiish said:

No love for Weaver?

Only love I've got for Weaver was when he passed the ball out to John Robinson in the 2000/01 (?) season who then returned the favour by passing the ball back

Unfortunately Weaver then proved his amazing skills by failing to complete the one.two, instead he hit a beautiful air shot resulting in another goal that afternoon for Charlton
    Remember him getting beat by a 30 yard free kick against Coventry at the Valley when we were relegated. It was like a pass into the net.....he was absolute garbage.
    God remember that as well... Wasnt that his last game for us before he was dropped in favour of Rob Elliott?

Seems he wasnt remembered fondly by Aberdeen fans when he played for Dundee United after leaving Charlton either (ironic how he went to play for Aberdeen as well eventually).

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/nicky-weaver-set-to-head-back-1046738

Weaver's professional pride was dented by losing seven goals to Rangers last week.

And although seeing the funny side of being targeted by Dons' snowball throwers on Saturday he acknowledged losing to Aberdeen was not how he wanted to bow out.
    As a Dons fan imagine how my dad felt when they signed him...poisoned one team and he moves onto his other. Was hoping Langfield would be man of steel and never get injured.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I think people only felt the need to call him rubbish because he was a big personality and that works against you when you make mistakes.

Hamer never made mistakes. Only those around him did. According to him anyway.

I hope he has a great season at Leicester

I'm sure he'll have great fun on the bench, counting his money. Don't blame him though. I'm sure 99% of us would do the same thing given the chance.

• Options
    cafctom said:

Carson - relegated from Prem
    Alnwick - Played 4-5 really good games max, didn't achieve anything with us
    Randolph - Best game was against a Conference North side, which we still lost
    Elliott - Only one who comes close to Hamer, but didn't have as good distribution and didn't win anything with us
    Thomas Myhre - Erm, ok?

Ben Hamer - Broke the Charlton clean sheet record, won a league Championship and was part of a solid defence for three years straight.

But lets not let facts get in the way of putting down a former player who has left us for bigger and better things.

Someone didn't go to Milton Keynes or any of the other games he played stupidly well in the back end of that season
  • Options
    Any player who played such a big role in the league 1 title winning season deserves our respect and thanks. A shame he chose to leave as we move onto the next leg of our journey.
    PS I rated Carson as a bit of light in a very dark season
  • Options
    Great goalkeeper.
    Tries to hard to be a lad, though.
  • Options
    Against Coventry the side was just woeful, didn't blame Weaver for that. More the madness of profligate player acquisition from Dowie and Pardew. Mhyre was better than all of them and probably way cheaper. Carson constantly let in shots that came right from left across his body. Yeah he made impressive saves, but flopped down to too many which meant we were always fighting to get back into games.

Hamer was good for me. Alnwick looked better last season, but you can't judge on a few games. Elliot was the best of the bunch, but I'm slightly biased as he was home grown.
  • Options

Randolph? The bloke played a few games for us in L1 before moving on. Hamer was our number 1 for three seasons and in that time he won L1, finished 9th a division up and then

Randolph? The bloke played a few games for us in L1 before moving on. Hamer was our number 1 for three seasons and in that time he won L1, finished 9th a division up and then had a mixed but ultimately decent season after that for a side in a relegation scrap right from the start. He made mistakes, he also made brilliant saves. Like any keeper his time here wasn't perfect but he dug us out of a lot of holes and I think people only felt the need to call him rubbish because he was a big personality and that works against you when you make mistakes. I hope he has a great season at Leicester
    Yeah that same one who played a few games for us who went on to be named in the Scottish PFA team of the year twice and is showing he can more than hold his own in the Championship. But yeah Hamer must have been better as he won league 1 and had a good defence in front of him, he definitely was never dropped in all his time here either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Yeah that same one who played a few games for us who went on to be named in the Scottish PFA team of the year twice and is showing he can more than hold his own in the Championship. But yeah Hamer must have been better as he won league 1 and had a good defence in front of him, he definitely was never dropped in all his time here either.
    Could say the same about Stephan Anderson... He barely played any games for us but for the last few years he's been capped 24 times by Denmark (was their Keeper at Euro 2012) and won Danish GK of the year in 2008.

Think the thread is more about what they've achieved at Charlton rather than at other clubs
  • Options
    Weaver started well with us but his form towards the end was awful and Pardew left it far too late to drop him.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Could say the same about Stephan Anderson... He barely played any games for us but for the last few years he's been capped 24 times by Denmark (was their Keeper at Euro 2012) and won Danish GK of the year in 2008.

Think the thread is more about what they've achieved at Charlton rather than at other clubs
    That's massively changing the original statement of "best keeper since Deano".
  • Options
    DeeBee said:

cafctom said:

Elliott - Only one who comes close to Hamer, but didn't have as good distribution and didn't win anything with us
    Thomas Myhre - Erm, ok?

Ben Hamer - Broke the Charlton clean sheet record, won a league Championship and was part of a solid defence for three years straight.

But lets not let facts get in the way of putting down a former player who has left us for bigger and better things.

Someone didn't go to Milton Keynes or any of the other games he played stupidly well in the back end of that season
    When we won 1-0 after Nicky Forster's penalty? Yes, I was in the front row behind Randolph's goal actually.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Carson - POTY so automatically wins surely.

Who was he up against that season exactly?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

15 goal Darren Bent?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

15 goal Darren Bent?
    Andy Reid as well maybe? Luke Young?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    colthe3rd said:

The Scottish team of the year? Well forgive me, I didn't realise he'd been voted into that. Not sure Randolph was more than holding his own in the Championship when Birmingham survived the drop by about 6 seconds. He would have been seen as a relegated keeper who was to blame for conceding the goal that sent them down if not for that. Because as we've seen people aren't exactly rational when it comes to their judgment of keepers, are they? But anyway I never said Randolph wasn't a good keeper, I'm saying that Hamer gets ridiculous amounts of abuse and has people claiming Randolph was a better keeper despite the fact that he barely appeared for us - and I doubt people have really paid that much attention to Motherwell and Birmingham - and has subsequently not pulled up any trees. Hamer was part of a team that won a league and survived twice when promoted despite the team having next to no investment. You can't ask for more than that but people still want to have a dig at him for some reason. Silliness.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Thomas Myhre - Erm, ok?

Myhre was a very good keeper, really did nothing wrong.
  • Options
    As I said before not having a dig at the guy, I just think people overrated him. That's not to say he is rubbish but comments saying he was our best keeper in the last 10 years just proves my point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Myhre was a top top keeper.
  • Options
    Carson our best keeper in last 10 years.
  • Options

Triffic
  • Options
    Tal Ben Haimer
  • Options
    Hamer was also an important part of installing a team and squad ethic and was clearly a popular member of the squad, along with, amongst others, Hughes, Jackson and Wilson. In our promotion season and the following year in the Championship he identified with the club and fans and brought some fun back to being a Charlton fan after a few years of dross.

I don't mind too much if he was arrogant or tried too hard to be a 'lad' (not sure what that looks like) as he was an excellent signing and proved himself to be a top Chamiponship keeper.

I believe that Ben Roberts rates him very highly and feels he will become a Prem keeper in time.

I certainly remember the excellent performances and saves more than the errors. Plus his distribution was fantastic.
  • Options
    Elliott better than Randolph oh perlease ..... the best thing that happened to us the first season we were down was Elliott getting injured against Gillingham and Randy coming in for the last 9.5 games of the league season letting in just 4 goals
  • Options

International keeper who went to World Cups. That makes Reza a world beater in some people's eyes.
  • Options
    All keepers have their brilliant saves and occasional howlers. I remember Randolph's brilliant save when we played at Anfield in our final PL game...
  • Options
    Hamer is an average Championship keeper with Champions League quality distribution IMO.
  • Options
    IMO Hamer will eventually be playing regular first team in the Premier, initially at Leicester