Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Hamer - Thanks !

Comments

• Options
    Thanks, Ben, and good luck. Well done for escaping our basket case football club.
  • Options
    Always thought Hamer and Morrison had a problem with each other , due to the bad vibes they seemed to give each other during the game but was told they were great mates and got on really well, that surprised me .

Good luck Ben , you had too much bants for the Belgium bores .
  • Options
    Not a silly comment - in my opinion. We all have our own opinions - and mine is that Hamer had some great games and made some fantastic stops. But, as you say, keepers make mistakes and he made a few too many.
  • Options
    He didn't make "a few too many", he made no more mistakes than an average keeper would.

I'd argue that he had to save our bacon one too many times in that case!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    We could have been in deep trouble had it not been for Hamer's form towards the end of the season. I think that's easily forgotten sometimes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

Hamer won us far more points than he cost us, all the best to him.

Better he makes a fumble mistake now in a friendly than the 3rd round of the Captial One Cup.

Unless that 3rd Round tie is against Charlton Athletic ;)
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

Hamer won us far more points than he cost us, all the best to him.

Better he makes a fumble mistake now in a friendly than the 3rd round of the Captial One Cup.

i ll second that

as somone else said our best keeper since deano

• Options

Move on

Agree, glad he has
  • Options
    That fumble will (and it was a poor one) do no more or less than cement his position at the Club.

And that is exactly the same as Elliott at Newcastle - warming the bench 'til the Club wants to rest their first choice.

Such is the disparity in terms of money (and security it comes with) between being 2nd choice at a PL and first choice at a Championship Club, electing not to get a regular spot in the team becomes a "no brainer".

• Options
    Alnwick and Randolph were also better than Blamer.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Alnwick and Randolph were also better than Blamer.

Really? Anyway nice weetabix save by Randolph to give us the three points at Birmingham last season. Alnwick started off ok away at Huddersfield but had a wobble himself after a few games although granted he did have personal issues.
  • Options
    Best keeper since Deano? Maybe the best keeper since Deano that wasn't named Carson, Randolph, Alnwick, Elliot and Myhre. But he was a LAD though so I guess that makes up for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carson - POTY so automatically wins surely.

Not putting him down because he left for better things, I've never rated Hamer. Nothing against the guy I just don't think he was as good as a lot on here make out.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Best keeper since Deano? Maybe the best keeper since Deano that wasn't named Carson, Randolph, Alnwick, Elliot and Myhre. But he was a LAD though so I guess that makes up for it.

I see you omitted Thuram from that list :-0
  • Options
    Let's not get silly. I nearly added Tony Warner though
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Carson - relegated from Prem

I agree with you in most Tom, apart from that statement.

Carson was our player of the year and just because we were relegated that season did not make him a bad keeper at all. He was brilliant that season.

Relegation certainly hasn't seen David Marshall tarnished.

Hamer and Elliott are hard to seperate in my opinion, both very good keepers. Especially as Elliott had the Doc, Llera and Fortune infront of him.
  • Options
    Let's not forget Carson had Traore in front of him and we would have been relegated by Xmas had it not been for Carson.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    colthe3rd said:

Let's not get silly. I nearly added Tony Warner though

You started it :-)
  • Options
    No love for Weaver?
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

No love for Weaver?

Only love I've got for Weaver was when he passed the ball out to John Robinson in the 2000/01 (?) season who then returned the favour by passing the ball back

Unfortunately Weaver then proved his amazing skills by failing to complete the one.two, instead he hit a beautiful air shot resulting in another goal that afternoon for Charlton
  • Options

Fiiiiiish said:

No love for Weaver?

Only love I've got for Weaver was when he passed the ball out to John Robinson in the 2000/01 (?) season who then returned the favour by passing the ball back

Unfortunately Weaver then proved his amazing skills by failing to complete the one.two, instead he hit a beautiful air shot resulting in another goal that afternoon for Charlton
    Remember him getting beat by a 30 yard free kick against Coventry at the Valley when we were relegated. It was like a pass into the net.....he was absolute garbage.