Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options
    Pear shaped every working day of 2018 so far, Hopeless.
  • Options
    The key is to get in the pub before it all goes Pete Tong.

"Babe, I'm not lying, look at the app"
  • Options
    As my boss didn't turn up at all today due to a "broken boiler," may just ask for an earlier departure than usual. Then end up staying in the pub anyway
  • Options
    One of my favourite threads, though to be fair I do live in a part of town where there are options for transport into work and the next train or tube usually arrives in 1 or 2 minutes. Does make me wonder why so many otherwise intelligent people with jobs that are no doubt important to the national economy seem to sheepishly accept a crap service. SE commuters need to court the CARD video makers once Roland’s gone and they are looking for their next project, assuming that isn’t the new owners. That, or move.
  • Options

Here's a cracking blog post that dissects just how much these pricks are lying to us and getting away with it - note, this is Great Northern, not SE or Southern, but the principle is exactly the same - they've removed seats and, laughably, haven't even increased standing capacity (presumably because of the shit design of the carriages)

https://grumpytrainuser.wordpress.com/2017/06/18/reduction-in-seats-on-great-northern-trains-tofrom-cambridge-from-may-2017/

That's a good post. Very true and well put. One flaw in his analysis around standing space is he hasn't accounted for the absolute wankers that bring a suitcase (or 3), a pram, a dog or even a facking ladder on a busy commuter train.
  • Options

Here's a cracking blog post that dissects just how much these pricks are lying to us and getting away with it - note, this is Great Northern, not SE or Southern, but the principle is exactly the same - they've removed seats and, laughably, haven't even increased standing capacity (presumably because of the shit design of the carriages)

https://grumpytrainuser.wordpress.com/2017/06/18/reduction-in-seats-on-great-northern-trains-tofrom-cambridge-from-may-2017/

That's a good post. Very true and well put. One flaw in his analysis around standing space is he hasn't accounted for the absolute wankers that bring a suitcase (or 3), a pram, a dog or even a facking ladder on a busy commuter train.
    It’s the train companies you should be blaming for not providing space for these people although I’m sure you’re blaming them as well ;)
  • Options

It’s the train companies you should be blaming for not providing space for these people although I’m sure you’re blaming them as well ;)
    There should be rules about travelling with large luggage at rush hour. You should be obliged to travel in the rear carriage or something like that.
  • Options
    Just the 10 minute delay this morning, but hey, it's a mild sunny day, no wind, no fog, no rain, no ice, how could anyone be expected to run a decent service in such challenging conditions?

No need to apologise or explain, I'll just be late for work again.

Hate hate hate.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Just the 10 minute delay this morning, but hey, it's a mild sunny day, no wind, no fog, no rain, no ice, how could anyone be expected to run a decent service in such challenging conditions?

Hate hate hate.

I suppose the plus side is I bet your employers don't mind you regularly being late and blaming the trains.

I was reading an article in the Kent online about the fare increase and some toerag had come out with the gem

"People who work up London earn loads so they can swallow it"

I know I shouldn't take seriously or personally what idiots on the internet say however this prompted me to think what are so many putting themselves through this hell daily when they could be working behind the counter at Betfred or something similar. Thankfully I have never had to commute regularly using Southeastern, the A2 and M25 antagonize me enough however I changed jobs last year purely because I was fed up of the daily performance of just getting to a place of work to do a days collar to do it all again in reverse at the end of the day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Carter said:

MrLargo said:

Hate hate hate.

I suppose the plus side is I bet your employers don't mind you regularly being late and blaming the trains.

I was reading an article in the Kent online about the fare increase and some toerag had come out with the gem

I know I shouldn't take seriously or personally what idiots on the internet say however this prompted me to think what are so many putting themselves through this hell daily when they could be working behind the counter at Betfred or something similar. Thankfully I have never had to commute regularly using Southeastern, the A2 and M25 antagonize me enough however I changed jobs last year purely because I was fed up of the daily performance of just getting to a place of work to do a days collar to do it all again in reverse at the end of the day.
    You know you can turn the car round. You don't have to reverse all the way home! ;)
    He’s a Charlton fan, we are not used to moving forwards...
  • Options
    Carter said:

MrLargo said:

Hate hate hate.

We've got an element of flexible working, so I can start between 8 and 10 and finish 8 hours later. Normally aim to get in around 9, South Eastern make me 15 minutes late but I'm still on time as far as work's concerned. On the rare occasions when I decide to have a lie-in with a view to getting in just before 10, they always seem to stitch me up so I end up getting in at 10.10 or 10.15. Not being able to get your arse into work for 10am looks bad to any employer and, however true it is, you can only use the train excuse a few hundred times before non-South Eastern victims start to think that you're exaggerating how totally shit they are.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Hate hate hate.

There's your problem.

With all the customers standing up on these newly designed cattle trucks nowadays, most trains need a following wind to speed up the journey.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Carter said:

MrLargo said:

Hate hate hate.

We've got an element of flexible working, so I can start between 8 and 10 and finish 8 hours later. Normally aim to get in around 9, South Eastern make me 15 minutes late but I'm still on time as far as work's concerned. On the rare occasions when I decide to have a lie-in with a view to getting in just before 10, they always seem to stitch me up so I end up getting in at 10.10 or 10.15. Not being able to get your arse into work for 10am looks bad to any employer and, however true it is, you can only use the train excuse a few hundred times before non-South Eastern victims start to think that you're exaggerating how totally shit they are.
    I hear thee, keep up the observations. As much as I sympathise with your pains the descriptive nature of your posts make me laugh. every cloud and all that
  • Options
    Remember all those claims 3 years ago about how the London Bridge work would improve the service for Southeastern customers? Did they really think that we would forget?
  • Options
    edited January 2018

There should be rules about travelling with large luggage at rush hour. You should be obliged to travel in the rear carriage or something like that.
    Spot on. I hate commuting, and generally try and avoid working on-site as much as possible, but these people that make the journey times worse IMO.

What aggravates me is that people seem to view their f*cking little suitcases as an extension of their body, and walk around without a care in the world. There's rarely a journey that goes past without me getting hit in the ankle - or nearly taken out completely - by someones luggage.

What are you packing for work that requires you to take the kind of hand luggage I can use for 4 days away in another country? I haven't had a permanent desk/office in over 2 years: I take my office with me in a rucksack - everything from pens, pads, documents, laptop, chargers etc. Why do you need a mini fucking suitcase?
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Spot on. I hate commuting, and generally try and avoid working on-site as much as possible, but these people that make the journey times worse IMO.

What aggravates me is that people seem to view their f*cking little suitcases as an extension of their body, and walk around without a care in the world. There's rarely a journey that goes past without me getting hit in the ankle - or nearly taken out completely - by someones luggage.

What are you packing for work that requires you to take the kind of hand luggage I can use for 4 days away in another country? I haven't had a permanent desk/office in over 2 years: I take my office with me in a rucksack - everything from pens, pads, documents, laptop, chargers etc. Why do you need a mini fucking suitcase?
    I trust you take it off when boarding the train ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

LuckyReds said:

I trust you take it off when boarding the train ;-)
    Hah, nice catch! But yep - I do, and by rucksack I mean a bog standard "over the shoulder" laptop bag.

I actually take quite a bit of care to have my bag in my hand before I board a train or tube, and I always have it between my legs when I'm standing (or on the rare case I manage to sit down).

I've yet to see anyone with a mini suitcase take care to minimise the space it takes by having it between their legs, and I constantly see them clog the aisles on the tube too!
  • Options
    Those little pull along mini cases are a sodding nightmare. You can’t see them In a crowd as you’re focussing at head height. I just volley them out of the way now. Great practice.
  • Options
    Watched this last night... Great programme, looking forward to the other four episodes
  • Options

Watched this last night... Great programme, looking forward to the other four episodes
    Yes an interesting programme in 'man management'. Next week's snips looked interesting.
  • Options

Yes an interesting programme in 'man management'. Next week's snips looked interesting.
    Its a shame really they took so long to start the train as we only got to see it briefly at the end.
  • Options

Its a shame really they took so long to start the train as we only got to see it briefly at the end.
    Yes, but the arguing filled most of the programme. Some of them would do proud on here!