Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Currently going 2mph on a train to London Bridge.

Macronate said:

8:03 to Victoria was absolutely packed this morning and "CAN YOU MOVE DOWN PLEASE" was met with a truthful reply of "there is nowhere to move"

was quite amusing hearing peoples responses, we had "I know but can you just make a little bit room as I need to get to work", "YOULL NEED TO MAKE ROOM!" and my favourite is someone tapping on the window trying to tell everyone who had to move and where to.

Think those already on the train were over exaggerating that there was 'nowhere to move'.

Which one do you reckon is the ticket inspector?
    He is driving the train.
  • Train travel in Spain is not only amazingly cheap; it is comfortable, efficient
    and almost always punctual. When you buy a ticket, you are automatically allocated a seat, and a screen in each carriage gives the destination, intermediate stops, the time and outside temperature. A recorded announcement of the next stop is made three minutes before arrival, in Spanish and English. In pleasing contrast to the experience on English trains, there are no irritating interruptions from a ‘train manager’ telling you that the buffet is closed or to check that you have all your belongings before leaving the train. Sunday timetables, unlike those in Britain, are similar to weekdays.

Part of an article, "Trains in Spain" in this weeks Speccie by Simon Courtauld.

Makes you want to weep.
  • Have Southeastern cancelled all services yet due to the funny coloured sky?
  • Train travel in Spain is not only amazingly cheap; it is comfortable, efficient
    and almost always punctual. When you buy a ticket, you are automatically allocated a seat, and a screen in each carriage gives the destination, intermediate stops, the time and outside temperature. A recorded announcement of the next stop is made three minutes before arrival, in Spanish and English. In pleasing contrast to the experience on English trains, there are no irritating interruptions from a ‘train manager’ telling you that the buffet is closed or to check that you have all your belongings before leaving the train. Sunday timetables, unlike those in Britain, are similar to weekdays.

Part of an article, "Trains in Spain" in this weeks Speccie by Simon Courtauld.

Makes you want to weep.

The same in Switzerland and Italy.

Too many fingers in the pie in this country.
  • Are trains in Spain/Italy/Switzerland state run or private?
  • All trains across the UK have been delayed or cancelled due to Sahara Dust on the line.
  • RENFE in Spain, Trenitalia in Italy so I assume they are state run.
    Not sure about the Swiss but equally good so probably state run.

They probably deal with the whole infrastructure where ours is a mess.
  • I take the point about the Swiss trains always being in time. And it's true they are. But my experiences this summer (2 weeks travelling round Switzerland by train) made me realise how they managed it.

Every station has 8 or so platforms even the tiny ones in the middle of nowhere that have 2 trains an hour. This means that even when busy trains can spend 7 or 8 mins in the station before leaving. And they do. It's built into the timetable that trains stop for that time at each station. It allows a lot of extra padding in the timetable and means that a small delay won't stop a train leaving the next station. On time. It was incredibly frustrating as what should really be an hour's train took nearly 2 hours with 5 or 6 accumulated 6 minute stops.

They trains, the running of them, announcements, assigning seats, air con, space etc was far superior to ours. But I do now see through the legendary Swiss trains are always On time bollocks.
  • I take the point about the Swiss trains always being in time. And it's true they are. But my experiences this summer (2 weeks travelling round Switzerland by train) made me realise how they managed it.

Every station has 8 or so platforms even the tiny ones in the middle of nowhere that have 2 trains an hour. This means that even when busy trains can spend 7 or 8 mins in the station before leaving. And they do. It's built into the timetable that trains stop for that time at each station. It allows a lot of extra padding in the timetable and means that a small delay won't stop a train leaving the next station. On time. It was incredibly frustrating as what should really be an hour's train took nearly 2 hours with 5 or 6 accumulated 6 minute stops.

They trains, the running of them, announcements, assigning seats, air con, space etc was far superior to ours. But I do now see through the legendary Swiss trains are always On time bollocks.

Surely advertising the train times/duration correctly is better that making it up as you go along meaning unless you second guess the train correctly you'll either be early/late?

I fucking love trains
  • edited October 2017
    Not all stations in Switzerland have 8 or so platforms, in fact it's only on the main routes you will find this.

If you get off on to the smaller routes, to Gruyere for example many lines are single track with passing places, and even rack and pinion driven going up the mountains.

Yes they do pad the timetable out a bit, but all the platforms are the correct length for the size of train, and you know where the coaches are going to end up.

Something we can't deal with here.. e.g. Wye, Chilham, Chartham etc.

*Edit. I also found that the local services were timed to coincide with the main line services, so changing was always easy. At one stage the guard even held up the local service to get everyone across the platform on to the train. Imagine that at New Cross!
  • Sponsored links:

• Train announcers are often garbled and speak with unintelligible diction at 100 mph. Useless really.
    There are so many instances where Tannoys announcements are made, from supermarkets to airports, and it isn't always accoustics and technology that is at fault, but the fundamental ability to speak clearly.
    Clarity of speech is an underrated skill these days, stand up comedians are usually masters of the skill, but so many of the rest of us think we can do it, but we can't.
    Mind the gap.
  • robroy said:

I would have a word with her on the platform and ask her why she is choosing you every day, tell her she needs to mix it up and choose other people.

Or just get on down the back of the train, that would solve the problem

You're probably right. It would be easier for me. But I like to leave as late as possible to get to work on time. Being at the front of the train is the difference between getting there on time and being late. Why should I have to move because she is targeting me?
    @cantersaddick Can we have an update mate?
  • robroy said:

robroy said:

I would have a word with her on the platform and ask her why she is choosing you every day, tell her she needs to mix it up and choose other people.

Or just get on down the back of the train, that would solve the problem

You're probably right. It would be easier for me. But I like to leave as late as possible to get to work on time. Being at the front of the train is the difference between getting there on time and being late. Why should I have to move because she is targeting me?
    @cantersaddick Can we have an update mate?
    Now wears nothing but a fancy pair of silk boxers when on the train and gets the carriage to himself ;)
    Haha

Well things have been mad at work at the moment so I've been getting an earlier train.

I've got that train a few times and she's asked someone else. I'll see what happens when things call down and I go back to that train every day.
  • Macronate said:

Scheduled 09:26 from Barnehurst arrived at 09:28.

No apology.

Shambles.

Unbelievable.

On the return journey, the scheduled 12:04 train from London Bridge shows an expected arrival time of 12:05 and then arrives at 12:03 and 54 secs.

No wonder you lot get the hump with these people.
  • One train in one out at Cannon Street tonight. Lovely stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnnyH2 said:

8:03 to Victoria was absolutely packed this morning and "CAN YOU MOVE DOWN PLEASE" was met with a truthful reply of "there is nowhere to move"

was quite amusing hearing peoples responses, we had "I know but can you just make a little bit room as I need to get to work", "YOULL NEED TO MAKE ROOM!" and my favourite is someone tapping on the window trying to tell everyone who had to move and where to.

It’s great when this happens - I like to look up from the comfort of my seat and either smile, look at my watch or nod.
    Especially enjoy the smirk out the window at all the granola chewing guardian bell ends that try getting on at Blackheath but cant.
    Especially when all they have to do is take a 5 minute bus ride to Lewisham for choice of a lot more trains, trains that have have a lot of people getting off for the DLR or the DLR. But no they would rather use Blackheath than be seen as part of Lewisham
    Get a bus? You gotta be joking mate, granola blackheath crowd ain’t gonna take a bus for anyone. Surprised they don’t get an uber to lewisham while wearing a veil made out of biodegradeable bat shit though mind.
  • Surprised they haven't got one of those trendy bike taxi things that runs over the common and through the park to Greenwich for either the DLR or river taxi.
    Could be onto something here....
  • Friend had their train cancelled this morning due 'unusually large passenger flow'

As well as being the most ridiculous excuse ever, I can't work out if there was more passengers, or a bigger increase in large passengers

The encyclopedia that is google suggests that unusually large passenger flow could in fact mean a short formed train!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Friend had their train cancelled this morning due 'unusually large passenger flow'

As well as being the most ridiculous excuse ever, I can't work out if there was more passengers, or a bigger increase in large passengers

The encyclopedia that is google suggests that unusually large passenger flow could in fact mean a short formed train!
    I thought it was something to do with everyone needing a piss
  • Southeastern have been making a big thing about all those extra coaches being made available in recent weeks.

I've had about six tweets from said company informing me of trains being 4 coaches instead of 6/8/10..so where did these extra coaches go...did you lose them under a pile of leaves?
  • Southeastern have been making a big thing about all those extra coaches being made available in recent weeks.

I've had about six tweets from said company informing me of trains being 4 coaches instead of 6/8/10..so where did these extra coaches go...did you lose them under a pile of leaves?

It's where King Robbo got the idea to bring in Allardyce.
  • Macronate said:

Macronate said:

Scheduled 09:26 from Barnehurst arrived at 09:28.

No apology.

Shambles.

Unbelievable.

On the return journey, the scheduled 12:04 train from London Bridge shows an expected arrival time of 12:05 and then arrives at 12:03 and 54 secs.

No wonder you lot get the hump with these people.
    I look forward to this input every time you get a train remotely on time, thrilling stuff!