Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options

To those of you who use Southeastern key, had any problems with it?

Works fine at my station (not in an oyster card area) but any mainline London station (where the tap pads double up as oyster pads) it works on about 1 in 4 of the barriers. Very annoying and incredibly frustrating when it's busy in the morning.

I've had no problems myself, been using it for six weeks now and never had an issue getting through barriers at Cannon Street, Waterloo East or Dartford.

I have heard that there can be a problem if you go through the barriers after someone using a contactless card, but I've not experienced this myself, it was mentioned in a local Rail Users Group page on Facebook. I tend to wait a second or two before trying and always make sure the gates have closed again before I go through (probably annoys those behind me!)

The one problem I have is that I can only purchase tickets for The Key online as Dartford is now classified as a London station, because it takes Oyster, and the ticket machines/office do not allow you to purchase The Key tickets at the station.
  • Options
    Is Dartford now in the Oyster/Freedom Pass zone?
    Thought it stopped at Crayford.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    seth plum said:

Is Dartford now in the Oyster/Freedom Pass zone?
    Thought it stopped at Crayford.

Yes it is, Dartford is Zone 8 I believe.

Two years ago today: http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/oyster-cards-come-to-dartford-42809/

• Options
    No problem with my Key card, has never not worked, much better than paper ticket.
  • Options

To those of you who use Southeastern key, had any problems with it?

Works fine at my station (not in an oyster card area) but any mainline London station (where the tap pads double up as oyster pads) it works on about 1 in 4 of the barriers. Very annoying and incredibly frustrating when it's busy in the morning.

Was considering getting one but advised by one of their staff to avoid as currently a number of bugs and problems with them current so I held off.
    Only taken Southeastern 9 months not to sort out the problems

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/southeastern-launches-oyster-card-style-pass-116793/

You just know that when the London Bridge work is finished there will be similar teething problems. The Railways just do not have the quality of management or staff to things properly the first time.
  • Options
    Don't know how some of you get up in the middle of the night to get on the train.
    Dropped the wife off at Brom South 5.40am.
  • Options
    Hs1 train was like sardines at Ebbsfleet. Really pisses me off how much is charged for this yet in the middle of rush hour they reduce the stock to 4 fucking carriages.

• Options
    Broken down train somewhere and apparently no Cannon Street trains on the Woolwich line. Yet no complaints on here? Have I missed something?
  • Options

Broken down train somewhere and apparently no Cannon Street trains on the Woolwich line. Yet no complaints on here? Have I missed something?

I'm on a Woolwich line train to Cannon St right now. No dramas this morning as far i can tell
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

Hs1 train was like sardines at Ebbsfleet. Really pisses me off how much is charged for this yet in the middle of rush hour they reduce the stock to 4 fucking carriages.

Must have been a nightmare traveling up with those Kentish hop pickers.
  • Options

There were delays this morning because of a broken down train. And delays last night because of a broken down train. The useless ba$tard$.
  • Options
    Turns out what I had missed was the 8.05 to cannon Street at Belvedere. Everything showing was late running Charing cross trains.

The interval between cannon Street trains has seemingly got worse, but I am not expert in this as I am rarely at the station at the same time two days running and neither are the trains.
  • Options
    So a few of you may remember my rant a while back (may have been on the general things that annoy you thread) about the etiquette of giving up seats on a train and a disabled woman who I thought was taking the piss.

Basically the back story is that a disabled lady got the same train as me from the same station every day. Now the train is pretty busy when it gets to my station there is the odd single seat in the front half a few more towards the middle and plenty in the last few carriages. I like to make a quick exit at Victoria so like the front. I make an effort to get to the station early, I know where the doors open So I get on the front of the train forst and nab a seat.

Now I have no problem with someone in need asking for my seat but this lady who walked with a crutch would wait by the station entrance every day until the train was in the station and everyone else was on it. She'd then walk along the platform to the front and without fail would as for my seat. Never anyone else's. So if get up and give it to her and then have to trudge down to the back of the train because in the mean time all other seats have been filled. I sometimes stand but have knee issues which mean if I stand for an hour I end up in a lot of pain.

What annoyed me was that she made no effort to get on the train when everyone else did whixh might have meant some of the time we both got a seat towards the front. Instead of standing by the station entrance she could stand along the platform where she wants to get on the train. Or if she wanted to guarantee herself a seat she could get on the middle or the back of the train.

In time the trains got busier and she basically meant I stopped getting a seat at all and was forced to stand. This went on for months, I tried everything from pretending to be asleep to shoving headphones in. My knees got aggravated so I ended up getting a different train.

Anyway back to the present. I've been back at work for a couple of months now and getting the original train. Haven't had a sight of her once..... until this week. I saw her eyes light up as she saw me on Monday. And everyday she has picked me again.

Fast forward to today. I had a couple of back spasms in the night (yes I really am 22 with dodgey knees and a bad back) and am in a fair bit of pain. Train is even busier than normal. She asks for my seat again and I say

"I'm really sorry but I had 2 back spasms in the night, I'm in pain and there is no way I can physically stand for the next hour, could you ask someone else today please".

She looks a little surprised and then a woman near me let's her have her seat but launches into an abusive tirade of biblical proportions, aimed in my direction.

Apparently I should have seen 'her need is greater than mine and dealt with a little pain' I am 'a fucking selfish twat' and a number of other things. I am also 'everything that is wrong with my generation'. Shes still piping up every couple of mins even now 20 mins later.

So who was right? Should I just have given up my seat?
  • Options
    I'd give it back to her both barrels

tough one here, whilst I would happily give up my seat for someone in need of it more than me, elderly/injured/pregnant/disabled etc.....if said person was doing as you suggest and making no effort to find a seat and instead just assuming they could have mine every day, then I'd have to say something.
  • Options

So a few of you may remember my rant a while back (may have been on the general things that annoy you thread) about the etiquette of giving up seats on a train and a disabled woman who I thought was taking the piss.

Basically the back story is that a disabled lady got the same train as me from the same station every day. Now the train is pretty busy when it gets to my station there is the odd single seat in the front half a few more towards the middle and plenty in the last few carriages. I like to make a quick exit at Victoria so like the front. I make an effort to get to the station early, I know where the doors open So I get on the front of the train forst and nab a seat.

Now I have no problem with someone in need asking for my seat but this lady who walked with a crutch would wait by the station entrance every day until the train was in the station and everyone else was on it. She'd then walk along the platform to the front and without fail would as for my seat. Never anyone else's. So if get up and give it to her and then have to trudge down to the back of the train because in the mean time all other seats have been filled. I sometimes stand but have knee issues which mean if I stand for an hour I end up in a lot of pain.

What annoyed me was that she made no effort to get on the train when everyone else did whixh might have meant some of the time we both got a seat towards the front. Instead of standing by the station entrance she could stand along the platform where she wants to get on the train. Or if she wanted to guarantee herself a seat she could get on the middle or the back of the train.

In time the trains got busier and she basically meant I stopped getting a seat at all and was forced to stand. This went on for months, I tried everything from pretending to be asleep to shoving headphones in. My knees got aggravated so I ended up getting a different train.

Anyway back to the present. I've been back at work for a couple of months now and getting the original train. Haven't had a sight of her once..... until this week. I saw her eyes light up as she saw me on Monday. And everyday she has picked me again.

Fast forward to today. I had a couple of back spasms in the night (yes I really am 22 with dodgey knees and a bad back) and am in a fair bit of pain. Train is even busier than normal. She asks for my seat again and I say

"I'm really sorry but I had 2 back spasms in the night, I'm in pain and there is no way I can physically stand for the next hour, could you ask someone else today please".

She looks a little surprised and then a woman near me let's her have her seat but launches into an abusive tirade of biblical proportions, aimed in my direction.

Apparently I should have seen 'her need is greater than mine and dealt with a little pain' I am 'a fucking selfish twat' and a number of other things. I am also 'everything that is wrong with my generation'. Shes still piping up every couple of mins even now 20 mins later.

Does sound as though you made a rod for your own back...

Does seem as well as though she was taking the piss by demanding your seat every day - For me its a case of if she didnt piss around she could of gotten her own seat somewhere else on the train, instead by deliberately waiting and then going after your seat must mean its not important for her to get a bloody seat in the first place!!
  • Options
    Canters, you're sitting in the same carriage in the same seat everyday?
  • Options

Does seem as well as though she was taking the piss by demanding your seat every day - For me its a case of if she didnt piss around she could of gotten her own seat somewhere else on the train, instead by deliberately waiting and then going after your seat must mean its not important for her to get a bloody seat in the first place!!
    How did I make a rod for my own back? Or is this a joke about back pain?

She's definitely taking the piss. I wouldn't mid occasionally but if she chooses me every day it's ridiculous. And as you say she makes no effort to try and get one herself.

Thankfully the ranter had shut up now but she still looks pissed off. The thing is everyone seemed to agree with her and were giving me evils. Yet none of them were willing to get up for the disabled woman.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017

Same carriage different seat. Usually get one of the last 2 or 3 seats in it before I get kicked out. That's why I'm annoyed as if she just stood further along the platform we would often both get seats.
  • Options

Same carriage different seat. Usually get one of the last 2 or 3 seats in it before I get kicked out. That's why I'm annoyed as if she just stood further along the platform we would often both get seats.
    Tell her mate
  • Options

Tell her mate
    I'd probably get told off for trying to tell a disabled person how to stand etc.
  • Options
    So no doubt she's targeting you and usually she gets the result she wants. Probably won't do it again after today.
    Think I'd have a word with the ranter though if she gets off at your stop. Just to level things out.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

How did I make a rod for my own back? Or is this a joke about back pain?
    Sorry meant by the fact you've given up your seat nearly every other time so have made yourself an easy target for her

(Basically what @swords_alive just said)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Or preferably do it to the mouthy one. Seriously mate, I'd just move carriage before you do something you later regret. I had a similar thing last year with a bloke who smelt like he'd slept in an ash tray sitting beside me every day. Didn't look like the sort of person who would accept a reasonable request so I now sit in the next carriage. Can still smell the f****r from there! If you do confront her, make sure you do it privately outside the train. You won't win the sympathy vote in the carriage.
  • Options

Tell her mate
    I'd probably get told off for trying to tell a disabled person how to stand etc.
    Seriously, have a word with her one morning before you get on the train. Tell her you've got back issues and can she ask someone else in future.
  • Options

Tell her mate
    Seriously, have a word with her one morning before you get on the train. Tell her you've got back issues and can she ask someone else in future.
    I'll try this...