Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jim Davidson backing RD

Comments

• more jo brand fan in the house Gaz

Dont, Col's got his flags out
  • So you flagged him?? Righto..
  • colthe3rd said:

Sorry but calling anyone a Miranda fan is just too far. Probably the worst thing you can accuse someone of.

I'll give you that one!
  • Curb_It said:

So you flagged him?? Righto..

FFS can no one take a joke here?

Now the controversial side of me would make a quip about Davidson fans but I'm above that.

• about as funny as a fart in a lift

The famous fart in a lift out-takes of Peter Sellers prove it's one of the funniest things going!
  • Btw. Bradley Walsh made a joke about a wet t-shirt competition, last night on Sunday Night At The Palladium.
    The whole audience got up en masse and walked out.

Oh no they didn't actually. They laughed !
  • Btw. Bradley Walsh made a joke about a wet t-shirt competition, last night on Sunday Night At The Palladium.
    The whole audience got up en masse and walked out.

Oh no they didn't actually. They laughed !

now dont start that one off again !

• Sponsored links:

• Nothing wrong with Jim full stop. We have to accept people born in the fifties Jim 1953 have a differing view of life, myself 1957 see no wrong in him. Those born in the later years will grow up with differing views and values, just because they are different does not make them right or wrong. Our upbringing made us what we are and that includes being Charlton, my first games in early sixties were in front of 5,000 fans in a ground that held 60,000. it was half a crown to get in and we peed in the open air ! Life changes, as do veiws.

Jim, fellow fan and in book bloody nice bloke.

My Dad was born in the same decade and has always been perfectly capable of identifying Jim Davidson as the cretinous, offensive goon that he is.
    JD is a nasty little man regardless of whether he supports Charlton or not. Racist, homophobic, sexist and about as funny as a fart in a lift - the man's an idiot.

Don't care when he was born....
    He really isn't any of those things. He may have been, but he isn't anymore.

When Jim started out these were the "in" things to make jokes about and being the very clever man he is jumped on the bandwagon and make a very good living out of it.

Most of it is a front, a character. If you sit down and speak to him you'd understand that.

Jim has done so much for our troops whilst they are away at war (free performances, appearances etc.), plus made and donated hundreds of thousands of pounds for charity over the years.

You have the right to express your views, I'm sure he couldn't care less, but he has done more good than harm during his life.
    Using the "it was ok back then" line does not excuse racism.
  • colthe3rd said:

Nothing wrong with Jim full stop. We have to accept people born in the fifties Jim 1953 have a differing view of life, myself 1957 see no wrong in him. Those born in the later years will grow up with differing views and values, just because they are different does not make them right or wrong. Our upbringing made us what we are and that includes being Charlton, my first games in early sixties were in front of 5,000 fans in a ground that held 60,000. it was half a crown to get in and we peed in the open air ! Life changes, as do veiws.

My Dad was born in the same decade and has always been perfectly capable of identifying Jim Davidson as the cretinous, offensive goon that he is.
    JD is a nasty little man regardless of whether he supports Charlton or not. Racist, homophobic, sexist and about as funny as a fart in a lift - the man's an idiot.

When Jim started out these were the "in" things to make jokes about and being the very clever man he is jumped on the bandwagon and make a very good living out of it.

Most of it is a front, a character. If you sit down and speak to him you'd understand that.

Jim has done so much for our troops whilst they are away at war (free performances, appearances etc.), plus made and donated hundreds of thousands of pounds for charity over the years.

You have the right to express your views, I'm sure he couldn't care less, but he has done more good than harm during his life.
    Did I say that then?
  • edited October 2014

colthe3rd said:

Nothing wrong with Jim full stop. We have to accept people born in the fifties Jim 1953 have a differing view of life, myself 1957 see no wrong in him. Those born in the later years will grow up with differing views and values, just because they are different does not make them right or wrong. Our upbringing made us what we are and that includes being Charlton, my first games in early sixties were in front of 5,000 fans in a ground that held 60,000. it was half a crown to get in and we peed in the open air ! Life changes, as do veiws.

Did I say that then?

When Jim started out these were the "in" things to make jokes about

• Now you're just putting words in Brendan's mouth. Typical.
  • Not at all.

When Jim started out these were the "in" things to make jokes about

Does that not suggest, "he might have been a bit racist but it's ok everyone made those jokes back then"?
  • edited October 2014
    It used to be fine to drive pissed - doesn't mean it was right at the time but it was acceptable and not everyone who did it then gets a row about it now.

It also used to be fine to pay women less than men and I am sure plenty did that too.
  • Colt, surely he should be commended if he has changed his ways, otherwise why bother trying to re-educate people.
  • Ive seen episodes of OF&H where there have been jokes very close to the line, Alf Garnett was terrible for it. A lot of comics and comedies based material around subjects that wouldn't be allowed now. It doesn't make it right but its the way it was.

Plus JD might not have believed some of the stuff he was saying, comics admit to doing that now.

• Not looking to start an argument and I know I won't be winning an argument against JD on here so I'll just leave by saying, to me it seemed as if Brendan was defending his very questionable choice of humour. If not then I apologise.
  • colthe3rd said:

Not looking to start an argument and I know I won't be winning an argument against JD on here so I'll just leave by saying, to me it seemed as if Brendan was defending his very questionable choice of humour. If not then I apologise.

Colthe3rd, may I ask how old you are? In all honesty the world was less tolerant back then, the average person was more ignorant towards other races back then and to use JD's past as a stick to beat him with is out of order.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sounds like age discrimination to me
  • colthe3rd said:

Not looking to start an argument and I know I won't be winning an argument against JD on here so I'll just leave by saying, to me it seemed as if Brendan was defending his very questionable choice of humour. If not then I apologise.

Not defending it Colt, just merely stating that it was joked about freely back then and a few people found it funny (enough to make him sell out gigs).

I’m not naive enough to suggest Jim wasn’t a racist/sexist etc. But a lot of it was over-egged and he has certainly moved with the times.
  • Out of interest, is there a difference between being a racist / sexist etc and telling a joke of the 'genre'.

If I tell a typical Irish Man / English Man etc joke does it make me racist?

What if I use an accentuated Welsh accent when telling a sheep type joke?

Shouting "all white at the back?" to the crowd is pushing it I'll agree.

Or is it only racist / sexist If someone is offended?
  • PL54 said:

Out of interest, is there a difference between being a racist / sexist etc and telling a joke of the 'genre'.

I'm offended that you have used the word genre. ;o)
  • PL54 said:

Out of interest, is there a difference between being a racist / sexist etc and telling a joke of the 'genre'.

I'm offended that you have used the word genre. ;o)
    That's reasonable, I should have used voice rather than accent in para 3 as well.
  • edited October 2014
    I would say that the majority of people over 40 still tell and laugh at racist/sexist/homophobic jokes in selected company.
    Doesn't make them or me racist/sexist/homophobic though.
  • I once watched back to back "On the Buses", "Till Death to us Part" and a rare "Love Thy Neighbour" episodes and can promise you I was not out in the back garden fashioning crosses for burning at a later date! AND if you want proof you can ask my West Indian next door neighbour Chalkie...
  • Some of this stuff is not black and white ( excuse the pun) and depends in part from your own vantage point. How about this for three broad definitions.

An ism E.G. Racism , Sexism , Ageism etc. - Using power that you have to implement a personal prejudice. EG Not employing a women based solely on that fact, even though she is the best candidate is an example sexism.

A prejudice - Something that every human on the planet holds regardless of their gender or race. We all are prejudice, every last one of us. Some of us are more self aware than others , but we all hold them.Not all of us hold power

Humour that is close to the mark - Is just that humour. It may be in bad taste , it may target groups that offend others EG the disabled , Christians , Gays etc. Offence in and of itself does not mean that you are being subject to a racist or sexist act.

( As an aside much of the humour of the seventies which was targeted at BME communities was offensive as it perpetuated a society at the time that was undoubtedly very very racist. Most institutions were overtly racist and ( and sexist) for that matter , the media was equally so. It was in this context that the humour of some of the comedians of the day was felt to undermine the attempts to produce a fairer society and to throw full weight behind the stereotypical views that were the fermenting growth of racist acts)

I believe that JD has had a seismic shift of understanding , exemplified in his one man play (see below).It seems incredibly bombastic to deny people the chance for redemption. If this was applied to all, Nelson Mandela would still be a violent (terrorist or ) freedom fighter. People change. If you judged me by some of my behaviour when I was in my twenties I would "come up very short".

The overuse of the accusation "racist" is one of the most tiresome elements of current public discourse. I speak as a dyed in the wool left wing liberal too !!

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2011/mar/06/jim-davidson-stand-up-be-counted

• He's a bigot & he proved that when he called a gay person a shirt lifter on TV
  • He's a bigot & he proved that when he called a gay person a shirt lifter on TV

Pillow muncher