Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Leicester post-match views 2014

Comments

• Options
    Bad day, get over it...I'm sure CP and the squad will...what matters is the next three games. All the opponents are beatable and the kind of game which we should shade.
    Not sure it was an "infamous" Trust meeting with Richard Murray but there was definite mention of loan signings arriving.
    We have 16 games to play in two months so I'm not really interested in who we nearly signed. As the cabbie said to Curbishley when West Ham were struggling: "facking sort it aahhttt!"
    Just a personal opinion but our midfield is better with Ajdarevic and Poyet coming in but a mistake to let Kermorgant go. That is simplistic and probably best to say more end of season.
    Right now the only thing we can do is back the lads and I seem to have tickets in my wallet for next three games :)
  • Options
    I can't believe the apathy on here regarding a 3-0 defeat. We are fighting for our championship lives and apparently we rolled over !!! I would like to see 11 players week in week out giving it their all.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I don't think we rolled over - the game plan was messed up by an early goal against a team that is beating everybody at home comfortably. We had some moments where things could have changed - Church 1- on 1 - offside being given but the bonus for me was the realisation long before the game started, that this was not a game that would send us down. It could have gone a long way to showing we were staying up, but the result was no surprise and it was a good game to get out of the way and an added bonus that our rivals at the bottom didn't do so well.

We have big games coming up against Millwall, Barnsley, Yeovil and Blackpool (all at home apart from the spanners). I would say these are games we can't afford to lose and will go a long way to determining our fate. I don't think the cup has been a distraction, although it could be and we probably to need to strengthen the squad - hope fully we can use the cup money to bring in a top, top player or two from the Premiership for a couple of months. And I don't mean Palace rejects.
  • Options

We were outclassed from start to finish today. Puts our recent results in perspective. We've still got one hell of a fight on our hands to avoid relegation & we're probably relying heavily on there being 3 worst teams than us in the division.

Absolutely spot on, could not agree more
  • Options
    ct_addick said:

I can't believe the apathy on here regarding a 3-0 defeat. We are fighting for our championship lives and apparently we rolled over !!! I would like to see 11 players week in week out giving it their all.

They were playing to not get injured for next week...maybe? Plus, with contracts running down, if we don't win next week, a few heads will drop and we could be down a deep hole with the players on the way out not particularly fussed!
  • Options
    2nd best against the new champions. Effort was there as per usual, but could have been 5 or 6 if Hamer had a poor game. One to forget about very quickly and move onto the remaining games.
  • Options
    As much as I rate Cousins, he looks like a lost little boy when he plays wide midfield and all of his decent performances have come from central midfield.

Do we think we would be better moving Jacko out wide again and moving Cousins back to his more natural, comfortable position? Or does this have exactly the same outcome but with Jackson then out of position rather than Cousins?

I personally think that the deilemna highlights that we need to get a natural wide midfielder as we keep trying to put square pegs in round holes. Danny Green just isn't good enough!
  • Options
    edited March 2014

I don't think we rolled over - the game plan was messed up by an early goal against a team that is beating everybody at home comfortably. We had some moments where things could have changed - Church 1- on 1 - offside being given but the bonus for me was the realisation long before the game started, that this was not a game that would send us down. It could have gone a long way to showing we were staying up, but the result was no surprise and it was a good game to get out of the way and an added bonus that our rivals at the bottom didn't do so well.

We have big games coming up against Millwall, Barnsley, Yeovil and Blackpool (all at home apart from the spanners). I would say these are games we can't afford to lose and will go a long way to determining our fate. I don't think the cup has been a distraction, although it could be and we probably to need to strengthen the squad - hope fully we can use the cup money to bring in a top, top player or two from the Premiership for a couple of months. And I don't mean Palace rejects.

Although I don't think the cup has been a distraction - it has lifted the mood, for a start - it is mostly responsible for the fixture pile-up. Nine consecutive midweeks - including possibly one or two double midweeks - is unprecedented and will put extraordinary pressure on the squad, especially because we are reliant on young players. They should have the fitness, but mental strength is another question.

I didn't think the present regime is unusual in predicting signings that never happened. I've lost count of the number of times this has happened over the years, although the claim that the money from selling Yann would be spent before 11pm the same day was a bit of an extreme example. Directors sometimes forget that players have choices too and I'm sure we would have signed experienced players by now if they had been willing to come. Nevertheless the need remains transparent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Finding it hard to believe the players had no fight or didn't look particularly bothered.

Church works very hard every game. Jackson, Cousins, Poyet and Harriott? May have been tired but those 4 aren't the type that are ever accused of not trying. Ajdarevic perhaps, his style of play clearly isn't based on energy and running, but we've seen his reaction when we've lost at home or when he had his shot v QPR saved, there's been more than a few mentions of how he looks like he really cares.

Can't believe the back five weren't bothered either.

We let in a fairly early goal against a team that should win the league (and in fact probably should have gone up in the last few seasons considering the money they've spent). If we can avoid conceding or even go 1-0 ahead we give ourselves a chance of getting a result. Go 1-0 down we don't always have the attacking threat to get back into it.

As for loan signings we've brought in one in Tudgay, probably an alternative to Best. Could do with a winger now but Ibe went to Birmingham and SWP has possibly turned us down. When Murray said we'd bring in some loans we probably thought deals were close.

Hopefully we'll see 1 or 2 come in soon, we've got winnable games coming up but there's a lot of them and the squad lacks options that can make a differece. We need better than Green and Hughes on the bench. Our other squad players Gower, Pritchard, Cook and Hollands are no better and it seems Koc (as expected) and PP aren't ready.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2014

As much as I rate Cousins, he looks like a lost little boy when he plays wide midfield and all of his decent performances have come from central midfield.

Do we think we would be better moving Jacko out wide again and moving Cousins back to his more natural, comfortable position? Or does this have exactly the same outcome but with Jackson then out of position rather than Cousins?

I personally think that the dilemna highlights that we need to get a natural wide midfielder as we keep trying to put square pegs in round holes. Danny Green just isn't good enough!

Disappointed to see Cousins being picked to play wide right midfield again. Cousins definitely better in the centre midfield role than wide right midfield. If playing 442 then it has to be Poyet or Cousins in the centre of midfield. Rest one of them for the many upcoming games to maintain freshness and help prevent injury by playing in tandem with one on the subs bench as a straight swap.

• Options
    I lost £20 on a bet with my brother in law, he gave me the draw as well, oh well move on if we finish above Millwall we will be safe + a semi at Wembley.
  • Options
    Cousins on the right again!!???

FFS.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Finding it hard to believe the players had no fight or didn't look particularly bothered.

Church works very hard every game. Jackson, Cousins, Poyet and Harriott? May have been tired but those 4 aren't the type that are ever accused of not trying. Ajdarevic perhaps, his style of play clearly isn't based on energy and running, but we've seen his reaction when we've lost at home or when he had his shot v QPR saved, there's been more than a few mentions of how he looks like he really cares.

As for loan signings we've brought in one in Tudgay, probably an alternative to Best. Could do with a winger now but Ibe went to Birmingham and SWP has possibly turned us down. When Murray said we'd bring in some loans we probably thought deals were close.

I agree entirely. The problem yesterday wasn't lack of effort. Leicester were simply too good for us, but we do look unbalanced and, in my view, we are desperate for some width and pace. I'm sure we are trying to sign players on loan, but it was always going to be difficult to get the right players. Let's hope we get lucky on that score.
  • Options
    Very Very good side. We move on.
  • Options
    £200 and 12 hours I'll never see again. Unacceptable on every level. Morrison injury did not help but doubt he would have made much difference had he stayed on. Powell's comments that he has too be happy with a 0-3 defeat are disgraceful, think he needs to remember that Leicester don't pay his wages anymore, seemed more concerned with making sure they kept their promotion campaign on track. If in future he decides we're not going to show up please let me know, so I won't either.
  • Options
    Melrose said:

11 players giving their all is not enough at this level. We need quality. Failure to get that quality in (yet?) lies solely down to RD. No excuses, he's been here long enough to work out/listen to what the situation requires. Lets see what happens in the next few weeks

No, it really doesn't. There are so many other things involved here. The blame starts right back with MS and TJ not providing any money for signings last season and there are myriad factors after that. Who should we get in? Who's available? Best wanted to stay further north and we don't know what goes on in other negotiations. Take a look at Barnsley as well; moved quickly, brought in the striker they needed, brought in a RB from a Prem team, tonked 5-0 by local rivals. It's not just down to bussing in loan signings from other leagues
  • Options

£200 and 12 hours I'll never see again. Unacceptable on every level. Morrison injury did not help but doubt he would have made much difference had he stayed on. Powell's comments that he has too be happy with a 0-3 defeat are disgraceful, think he needs to remember that Leicester don't pay his wages anymore, seemed more concerned with making sure they kept their promotion campaign on track. If in future he decides we're not going to show up please let me know, so I won't either.

• Options
    we all thought we'd lose but the way we seemed to not even be interested in giving it a go was a bit pathetic. Bring on next week
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went too and was not very impressed with our performance, but we were playing, by far, the best in the division on their own patch. I think the comments regarding CP's loyalty a bit strong, especially when noting our results against Leicester previously, which may well have cost them promotion before.
  • Options

Although I don't think the cup has been a distraction - it has lifted the mood, for a start - it is mostly responsible for the fixture pile-up. Nine consecutive midweeks - including possibly one or two double midweeks - is unprecedented and will put extraordinary pressure on the squad, especially because we are reliant on young players. They should have the fitness, but mental strength is another question.

I didn't think the present regime is unusual in predicting signings that never happened. I've lost count of the number of times this has happened over the years, although the claim that the money from selling Yann would be spent before 11pm the same day was a bit of an extreme example. Directors sometimes forget that players have choices too and I'm sure we would have signed experienced players by now if they had been willing to come. Nevertheless the need remains transparent.
    I remember after a pre season signing Murray announced we would be making a signing a week for the next six weeks and then we did not sign anyone for another six weeks (or so). It happens, all I would say is it is better to dampen expectations and surprise everyone than raising them and disappointing, but that is not the Charlton way.
  • Options
    I think the players Murray was talking about were Best - gone to the Massives, SWP- going to the US, Williams- gone to Ipswich. So at the time Murray's comments were right, but players, for whatever reason, do not want to join us.
  • Options
    A bit disappointing that we went down so limply, but considering we were playing the best side in the league and with most of the sides near the bottom also losing, some worse than us, we are in no worse a position than we were before. We need to at least avoid defeat at Millwall, but if we do that and win the key home games coming up, the odds are still in our favour to avoid the drop.
  • Options

All at home except the Spanners and Blackpool.
  • Options
    philcafc said:

A bit disappointing that we went down so limply, but considering we were playing the best side in the league and with most of the sides near the bottom also losing, some worse than us, we are in no worse a position than we were before. We need to at least avoid defeat at Millwall, but if we do that and win the key home games coming up, the odds are still in our favour to avoid the drop.

A win at Millwall would be a massive boost to our survival prospects, and could create the hostile, nervous environment that tips them over the edge...
  • Options
    I just hope Morro and Wiggy are fit for next week and that Powell gets some extra legs in otherwise I fear the worst. We have injuries thats for sure but according to Sheffield they stand to lose their best player Brayford next week and possibly murphy in midfield so that will even things up.
  • Options
    Outclassed from start to finish and the heads dropped at 3 nill. Without Hamer would of been more.
    No positives to take from today performance. Need a right winger badly to give us balance in the midfield. ( Not Danny Green).

Leicester will go up as champions and hope they beat the teams at the bottom this season on the way up.

Huddesfield at home next up. Think Powell will go back to 4-4-2 against them and get at them.

Will have 5 games in hand of millwall before huddesfield game. Hopefully won't be more than 3 points ahead of us.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I think the players Murray was talking about were Best - gone to the Massives, SWP- going to the US, Williams- gone to Ipswich. So at the time Murray's comments were right, but players, for whatever reason, do not want to join us.

Sorry Dick I was talking about the prem years when Murray was in charge and in the know.
  • Options
    Was it only me or did last night's FL Show seem to mention loan ( often from PL Clubs) or recently signed players in most Championship goals shown ?

We must be the only Club NOT to have signed up such gems who are seemingly helping to turn things around.

My heart bleeds for the gaffer ....