Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What could be improved about The Valley...

Comments

• - toilet attendants to make sure people only enter and exit through the correct doors
    - less concession stand servers so lines get longer so fans spend more time getting to know each other
    - beer to be watered down and increased in price so fans don't get too drunk to appreciate the beautiful football
    - make money by letting out the ground on non-matchdays to Thames Barrier to flood it when the Thames rises
    - goal music
    - more gender confused mascots
    - on-site betting shops to offer even worse odds than currently on offer
    - pies to include at least 30% more newspaper and staples
    - Charlton to win a game every so often just to spice things up a bit
    - Charlton to score every so often just to spice things up a bit
    - Charlton to complete a pass every so...
    - Red Red Robin to be replaced by Red Red Wine by UB40
    - The away stand to be moved 100 metres further away from the pitch so the away support looks slightly smaller
    - not enough geezers are whinging from the kick-off to final whistle, we should hire some Man City and Tottenham fans to help us improve the atmosphere in this respect

Not a bad start to be honest!
  • Get rid of the premium rate Ticket Office 'phone number.
  • Hot water in the bogs to wash my hands with! Nothing worse in the winter after having a pony. Ice cold hand wash
  • Hot water in the bogs to wash my hands with! Nothing worse in the winter after having a pony. Ice cold hand wash

You misunderstand, the sinks aren't there to wash your hands with, that's where the water from underneath the pitch comes out. If you want hot water we need under pitch heating.
  • The atmosphere, in BIG games.
    Notice how the atmoshere Vs Leicester start of the season was electric. Then Millwall at home you could hear a pin drop.
  • it probably wont happen but knock down the jimmy seed and build a south stand like the north stand. it would improve the look of the ground a lot
  • get rid of flat beer!! better food, and the pitch could do with some grass. Apart from that, love the stadium.
  • The Press Conferences
  • the football team
  • Signing some decent players on loan before we are relegated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Costa Coffee
    Breathalysers on the gates
    Ban everyone over 13st wearing a Charlton shirt
    Ban everyone over 35 wearing a Charlton shirt
    Twat hook.
  • While Powell is still manager reverse the seating
  • cloud wi-fi in all stands
  • soundproofing baffles in the roof of the jimmy seed stand. the current roof amplifies noise from the away fans.
  • While Powell is still manager let him get at least a couple of decent loans, considering you've sold 3 of his best players.
  • edited February 2014
    Colour the seats to there original red.

Stick the away fans in the east stand (closest to the big screen)

Grass that isn't the bottom of a lake.

Improved hospitality facilities.

Better beer/food.

Try new ideas to generate a better atmosphere.

North lower safe standing area.

Long lists where you don't bother reading everything on them.

Half time entertainment.
  • CrayAddicks got it in one, improve things that improve atmosphere and home noise, and it may have a positive effect on the team. I don't go to football to have a cracking time in posh new toilets, I go for good footy and good atmosphere
  • CrayAddicks got it in one, improve things that improve atmosphere and home noise, and it may have a positive effect on the team. I don't go to football to have a cracking time in posh new toilets, I go for good footy and good atmosphere

what's wrong with having posh toilets and a good atmosphere? Moving away fans is not going to make us shout and sing louder, i think it's up to us.

Where do you go then
  • Sponsored links:

• Better toilet facilities behind the East stand with more urinals (to reduce waiting time), warm water and a few more hand driers that all work. It won't help the team win but it will help to make this part of the matchday experience a bit more pleasant.

what's wrong with having posh toilets and a good atmosphere? Moving away fans is not going to make us shout and sing louder, i think it's up to us.

Of course it would increase noise. Great acoustics in that stand.
  • bring in the dancing bears!
  • Definitely free WiFi. Couldn't get any 3G signal in the NE quad on Saturday
  • I was thinking about how impressed I was with the look of Bramall Lane. What set it off for me was the flags on top of the stands. I'd love to see us have a similar set. I'd think as well that we could could build in a bit of tradition with it, raising the flags before the first home match, keeping them up for a season and lowering them at the end of the final match. In addition, if we had a new set of flags each season we could create some real memorabilia. Suposing there were ten good quality flags up there they could all be given/raffled/sold at the end of the season. Each could have some individually embroidered text on it stating the year, flag number, who got it and why. I'd suggest (you can tell I've been thinking about this) the following:
    1. Player of the year
    2. Young Player of the year
    3. Non-playing employee of the year (this year Jason Morgan obviously, but in a different year could be anyone)
    4. Supporter of the year.
    5. Charlton Athletic Museum (by having a new design each year we could create an interesting and unique set)
    6. Official Club Charity
    7 & 8. Valley Gold draw
    9 & 10. Auction to highest bidders.

Go on Roland. If you get on the phone now you could have the flag poles up ready for 9th August.
  • Dizzle said:

Charlton Athletic version of these babes around the concourses selling programmes, jackpot tickets, beers (by backpack?) merchandise etc.

Yeah?

Absolutely not. I would be ashamed to support a club that employed 'babes' and gave them skimpy outfits.
  • New hot dog stalls in the East Stand, blocking off where I used to stand with my beer. Not sure if the hot dogs are any good?
  • Decent beer, British and Belgian. Real ale is probably a non-starter, seeing as you have to empty a barrel within a certain time or the beer goes off. However, there are lots of good craft beers that come in keg or bottle.
  • I noticed two of RD's promised innovations to improve the matchdays experience last night. Two hot dog stands behind the Easy selling "the world's best hot dogs." I suppose that goes with supporting "the greatest team the World has ever seen." The second was the soft pine shelving that has been put up along the back wall behind the East to stand pints on. It will have warped, rotted and dropped within 12 months. Still.....
  • I was prompted to bump this thread by the high number of catering and programme related comments there have been recently. It doesn't seem too long ago that the club were asking for opinions on match day experience and I wondered how well they done since then.

For me the big winner has been the new pitch; that is a revelation. Next comes what's on the pitch, it's by no means brilliant (though I might have said it was back in March), it's definitely better than a year ago. The other noticeable improvements are around the general look of the ground: seats/paint job.

There's been a change to the catering. Food & drink costs even more than it did, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any better. The one consistent thing about the catering is the quality of service which is always a shocker. I'm amazed that even at the tail end of the season most of the kiosk staff still need to call their supervisors to perform even the simplest of operations. They really do need to improve upon staff training. The other real negative is the programme sales as mentioned on several other threads. Much needed improvements to the toilets just haven't happened. Though at times they haven't been as smokey.

The club has floated a couple of really bad ideas, shooting the Red Red Robin and having cheerleaders. Thankfully, the message seems to have got through on these.

With a new big screen planned and electronic ticketing, we could see further improvements next season, we'll have to wait and see.

That's what I think. What about everyone else?