Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What could be improved about The Valley...

edited February 2014 in General Charlton
In terms of small to medium sized projects. The pitch we all know about, and Im not talking turning it into a 90K capacity UEFA 4 star stadium...

One thing that springs to mind is I would like to see the turnstiles replaced with the automatic types you see at a lot of grounds these days.

What are your thoughts on improving the Valley?

Comments

• Lick of a paint
  • Safe standing.....
  • Fewer drunks.
  • updated turnstyles is a good one, then we can just have the credit card ST rather than the books, other than that, lick of paint and a general tidy up
  • More watered down warm beer
  • Fight cages
  • edited February 2014
    Simonsen said:

Safe standing.....

updated turnstyles is a good one, then we can just have the credit card ST rather than the books

These two... I think the card type of season ticket would be a lot better than the book especially after the Birmingham game was matchday '15' when myself and others thought it would be matchday '13' as was the next in the booklet etc...
  • I like the traditional turnstiles. I find the automatic ones a bit impersonal.
  • updated turnstyles is a good one, then we can just have the credit card ST rather than the books, other than that, lick of paint and a general tidy up

Was at a Southend game a couple seasons back and they have this system already. Cant imagine its too expensive to implement.....
  • Sponsored links:

• The quality of the football. If your core product isn't right then it doesn't matter so much what beer you serve.
  • edited February 2014

updated turnstyles is a good one, then we can just have the credit card ST rather than the books

Don't tell Bob Crow or any of his crowd on here. What are all those people who survive solely on their income from turnstile operating going to do now ?

And of course - what about the safety of the supporters !
  • Simonsen said:

Safe standing.....

North lower would be the best bet. Using the german "convertible" terracing system, so they can be locked down seats if need be.
  • better toilets and hand dryers that work

padded seats

covered and heated refreshment areas

bigger and better screen
  • PL54 said:

Don't tell Bob Crow or any of his crowd on here. What are all those people who survive solely on their income from turnstile operating going to do now ?
    Probably be the ppl who stand by the automatic gates to keep an eye on them.
  • cushioned seats - like the ones they have in the dugout - to be able to have a beer in your seat - safe standing and if there was any change left to bulid the east stand identical to west stand.
    Also a lifers section in west stand so they can all drink their bovril in peace admire each others cardigans and sing " SHIT GROUND NO FANS , YOU WANT SOME SOME" :-) smiley face thingy.
  • to be able to have a beer in your seat

Isnt there a law that prevents this from happening at any football ground? Or it just something football clubs have implemented themselves...
  • North Lower standing OR vocal supporters only. That's it.
  • Sponsored links:

• The audi seats all around the stadium that fergie used to sit in
  • Better facilities behind the East stand, with bars and TVs remaining open after the game to encourage people to hang around rather than rushing off
  • Better facilities behind the East stand, with bars and TVs remaining open after the game to encourage people to hang around rather than rushing off

Brighton do the same thing, apparently it works well.
  • The atmosphere.
  • Leaving the lights and water on in the ladies after half time would be good. Fed up of having to try and wee whilst holding a torch!
  • Wilma said:

Leaving the lights and water on in the ladies after half time would be good. Fed up of having to try and wee whilst holding a torch!

Just like being a man!!! ;-)
  • edited February 2014
    Davo55 said:

better toilets and hand dryers that work

padded seats

covered and heated refreshment areas

bigger and better screen

Padded seats is quite a good one. The middle block of the Upper West has these and as far as I can tell the padded bit just slots over the existing seat. Or these alibaba.com/product-gs/1192496361/padded_stadium_seats_with_armrests_stadium.htmlare US$10 a piece if you buy min of 200. What's not to like? Make a modest charge for an upgrade to a padded seat and it would encourage people to retain their season tickets to keep their nice seat. Simples.
  • The bleached seats look terrible and make the ground look really tired. Toilets are by and large pretty rank and unless I have been on the beer I avoid them at all costs. Food kiosks need a total rethink - food is generally rank, service slow and the lack of choice with regard to beer isn't great.

A real bug bear of mine is the utterly shite betting firm they use. The odds they offer are an insult and I have stopped using them. The longest you get on anyone is 25-1 first goal scorer.

The turnstiles replacement is a no-brainer in my opinion. By removing the staff they would pay for themselves over a period of time.