Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Come in No 4 your time is up! (Ed. Page 33 - Jackson signs new contract to 2023)

Comments

• Options

Watch him have his best game yet this season against Coventry.

It's possible. He's always played really well about 5 times a season. (In the last 3 seasons).
    And it's always after this thread gets revived!
  • Options
    I have so much time for JJ - he's CAFC through and through but I'm a realist and given his age he won't be the same player he used to be.

He probably should move towards being an impact sub - but as someone around the dressing room regardless of being on the pitch or not he and Chris Solly are the best assets we have.

All I hope is that he is treated with the same respect and loyalty as he has always shown to Charlton - not the regime - but the real Charlton.

Would love to see him getting into a coaching role. Just hope that the Regime don't shaft him in the process of that.
  • Options
    I think you will see Chicksen start more often under Robinson.
  • Options
    When we play a team as high impact as Sheff Utd were today, he will look horribly exposed. I think even he knows he will figure less and less now
  • Options
    I don't see him as management material for some reason. Too much of a player. A great captain but wanting to be out there and doing it....not sure what his role could be going forward.
  • Options

I don't see him as management material for some reason. Too much of a player. A great captain but wanting to be out there and doing it....not sure what his role could be going forward.

Yeah I've never understood the clamor for him as manager. As a player, positionally, he can be quite poor at times (when playing in the center of the park). Down the road, possibly, as I know he is "a student of the game" but it's not like a Patrick Vieira where they end their career and you think "right, with your experience and reading of the game you'll be a natural coach.
  • Options
    He was poor today and offered nothing. Was correct to take him off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I predicted we would lose 1-0 on CL preview and we would struggle to create a chance, and Lookman would get Double marked.
    The turning point was when Duffy (21) who was every where for United, went off injured with about 15 minutes to go. plus Botaka coming on for a late cameo and injected pace in the side for the first time since Holmes was injured.

I had a terrible feeling that JJ who like other have stated has been a great captain but to start him in front of Chicksen, who did great runs even if he did screw up the final pass on a couple of occasions was just a case of the old pals act and was a terrible decision who ever picked the team today.

• Options
    SDAddick said:

Yeah I've never understood the clamor for him as manager. As a player, positionally, he can be quite poor at times (when playing in the center of the park). Down the road, possibly, as I know he is "a student of the game" but it's not like a Patrick Vieira where they end their career and you think "right, with your experience and reading of the game you'll be a natural coach.
    SDAddick said:

...but he was so instrumental in our last league 1 campaign...I wish we could bottle his leadership and comittment and force feed it to all future players. As I said. A great captain and true leader. He would maybe make a good assistant coach.
  • Options
    Every time this gets bumped he scores... Will lump on next game
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Because of the general weakness of our squad, he's still getting asked to do the same job he was doing 4 years ago.

Still got quality, and still more than capable of grabbing a healthy number of goals. We are currently doing the equivalent of asking a mid to late thirties Ryan Giggs to run up and down the wing like he did when he was in his twenties.

Just because he can't do the same job he was doing when he was younger doesn't mean he can't contribute full stop.

100 per cent.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Because of the general weakness of our squad, he's still getting asked to do the same job he was doing 4 years ago.

Still got quality, and still more than capable of grabbing a healthy number of goals. We are currently doing the equivalent of asking a mid to late thirties Ryan Giggs to run up and down the wing like he did when he was in his twenties.

Just because he can't do the same job he was doing when he was younger doesn't mean he can't contribute full stop.

It was very strange to bring him back today though, after Chicksen did a good job on Tuesday? I imagine Jacko himself would have been surprised that he got the nod today

With Chicksen AND Botaka on the bench today, it wasn't as if we were so short that he had to start.
  • Options
    Today he was hopeless. He has been a great player for us and will always be a Charlton legend.

But what gets me is he scores one and people leap on here and start gloating..... But we need more than that once in a blue moon.

Was sad to see today.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

He didn't have his best game today but I think people underestimate what he does that goes unseen and also, his legs haven't gone, stamina is different to legs having gone, he's still good for 65-70 minutes most of the time.

His challenge in the box 1st half when a cross came over and the Sheffield guy nodded the ball out harmlesly for a goal kick......... JJ put his body in the shape and position so that the player couldn't head it back across goal, thats experience and something I don't think any other player in our team can do or knows how to. His off the ball intelligence is probably one of the best at this level.

He provides excellent cover to Fox, it seems he doesn't challenge that often, but again watch what he does, his body shape he directs the player back inside not outside, if we had a Parker/Holland/Kinsella type alongside him it'd be a little more obvious and people would appreciate just how clever a player he is. Likewise his wing attacking play, crofts and Ulvestad insist on playing it into his feet, he's never been pace, he needs it into space not into his feet. If they played to those strengths he'd be a top assist player.

With the right players alongside him (i.e. his standard) it'd seem very different.

His times not up yet.

Not today. Fox was horribly exposed constantly facing 2 v 1 situations with the winger + right back doubling up on him. Jackson seen jogging back 15 yards behind or dragged into the middle.

He may have a future in a central midfield of 3, but not on the left side of midfield.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

He didn't have his best game today but I think people underestimate what he does that goes unseen and also, his legs haven't gone, stamina is different to legs having gone, he's still good for 65-70 minutes most of the time.

His challenge in the box 1st half when a cross came over and the Sheffield guy nodded the ball out harmlesly for a goal kick......... JJ put his body in the shape and position so that the player couldn't head it back across goal, thats experience and something I don't think any other player in our team can do or knows how to. His off the ball intelligence is probably one of the best at this level.

He provides excellent cover to Fox, it seems he doesn't challenge that often, but again watch what he does, his body shape he directs the player back inside not outside, if we had a Parker/Holland/Kinsella type alongside him it'd be a little more obvious and people would appreciate just how clever a player he is. Likewise his wing attacking play, crofts and Ulvestad insist on playing it into his feet, he's never been pace, he needs it into space not into his feet. If they played to those strengths he'd be a top assist player.

With the right players alongside him (i.e. his standard) it'd seem very different.

His times not up yet.

Not today. Fox was horribly exposed constantly facing 2 v 1 situations with the winger + right back doubling up on him. Jackson seen jogging back 15 yards behind or dragged into the middle.

He may have a future in a central midfield of 3, but not on the left side of midfield.
    I beg to differ, almost every time the ball came from the middle as the centre mids were too far off the pace of the game. How many times did they just run straight past Crofts and put the ball out to the wing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Rob7Lee said:

His times not up yet.

Agree - it was his lack of cover for Fox which was one of the biggest issues today.

We may as well have had 10 men in the first half.
  • Options
    Of course it's easy to just blame everything on the regime.
    But they keep going on about 'putting things right' and we've been short in midfield since the opening game and they haven't resolved this issue yet.
    Therefore we are relying on jacko far too much and In previous seasons he would of had better, quicker players in the with him or we could afford to leave him out every now and then.
  • Options
    Jackson should have been retired two years back. He now offers nothing and by continuing to,play he is diminishing his past good reputation. I feel when he was last given a new contract he was being used by the current administration to,appease the supporters who at that time held him in high regard. He is tarnishing his reputation by continuing to play. He is not even now worth a place on the bench.
  • Options

Of course it's easy to just blame everything on the regime.
    But they keep going on about 'putting things right' and we've been short in midfield since the opening game and they haven't resolved this issue yet.
    Therefore we are relying on jacko far too much and In previous seasons he would of had better, quicker players in the with him or we could afford to leave him out every now and then.

Not excusing the regime, but with the transfer windows being so strict now, there is really little scope to rectify weaknesses in your team between windows. A year ago, we could have loaned someone in (like we did with Coquelin)
  • Options
    I have to agree with @BillG regarding JJ being given a new contract to appease the fans.

I don't for a second blame him for taking it and I would never expect him to give anything other than his all when called upon, I just feel that his all hasn't been enough for a couple of seasons now.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was offered a coaching role at some point but I hope he thinks long and hard before accepting it
  • Options
    Nobody has ever doubted JJ's ability to find the back of the net and he has done this season on a few ocassions but this I feel is about as much as he's able to contribute but the problem is where do you play him? He can't play on the wing or in the middle anymore either. His time for me as a regular was up when we had Bulot/Buyens/Cousins/JBG in midfield and he's only still featuring because that whole midfield is no longer with us and we find ourselves in League One.

I think it's harsh to say he should retire now, he has a role as an impact sub when we need a goal but this also shouldn't be reason alone for a new contract either.

Still it's incredible when you consider he was originally signed to play left back!
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

He was poor today and offered nothing. Was correct to take him off

A bit like near enough all of our players today then.

Why don't we have threads like this for Andrew Crofts and Kevin Foley week in and week out?
  • Options
    Foley will do a job at right back for us this season.

Crofts should never have had a 'time' in the first place.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Ah the good old Jacko didn't play well this weekend thread...