Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Come in No 4 your time is up! (Ed. Page 33 - Jackson signs new contract to 2023)

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2016

His confidence is just a bit low. You don't become a bad player over night.

It strikes me that Jacko has been in steady decline, as you would expect at his age, for a few seasons now.

We should have better starting in midfield, but do we actually have much better at the club right now?

Seems to me that we didn't do the business we needed to in the summer recruiting quality into central midfield. A lack of decent players there has been hampering us since even before this rabble took ownership of the club. For season after season we have lacked the legs and balance of all round ability to play a 4 but when we play a 5 we have 3 more defensive centre mids and no one breaking forwards to get ahead of the striker.

I honestly can't remember the last time we had a midfielder who had the natural instinct to make forward runs into potential goal scoring positions. Probably first era Jason Euell.
  • Options

It strikes me that Jacko has been in steady decline, as you would expect at his age, for a few seasons now.

We should have better starting in midfield, but do we actually have much better at the club right now?

Seems to me that we didn't do the business we needed to in the summer recruiting quality into central midfield. A lack of decent players there has been hampering us since even before this rabble took ownership of the club. For season after season we have lacked the legs and balance of all round ability to play a 4 but when we play a 5 we have 3 more defensive centre mids and no one breaking forwards to get ahead of the striker.

I honestly can't remember the last time we had a midfielder who had the natural instinct to make forward runs into potential goal scoring positions. Probably first era Jason Euell.
    Would have been Dale Stephens if Powell hadn't insisted on him playing in front for the back four.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

And Andy Reid, of course.

• Options
    Colin will be loving this thread
  • Options
    He's still good enough, just maybe not at LM or as part of a midfield 2, holding behind the middle 2 or in front of the back 4. However you define a CDM.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Don't need to be on my soapbox for this.

Jackson who is a great bloke and will go down as 1 of our best captains.
    Should be no where near the 1st team this season.
    I didn't need to see a missed penalty and being well off the pace to say that.

Older CL's will know Colin Walsh went on about 2 seasons too long,
    and was heckled by a couple of morons.
    I don't want the same to happen to JJ.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

a midfielder who had the natural instinct to make forward runs into potential goal scoring positions. Probably first era Jason Euell.

Would have been Dale Stephens if Powell hadn't insisted on him playing in front for the back four.

Wouldn't particularly agree with that, Stephens natural game was to sit deeper and pass the ball. The odd goal he got was usually from outside the box. I may be wrong, but I think Brighton have used him much the same and I don't recall him arriving with a particularly standout scoring record at Rochdale.
    Oggy Red said:

And Andy Reid, of course.

Reidy is a better shout, but he was a wide player really and was more inclined to work around the edge of the box and provide the kinds of passes that a player like Euell would finish off. Maybe Zheng Zhi would be the closest. Bryan Hughes used to do it a bit too. Nicky Bailey too was good from wide, but did it less when he was central. My point is we've maybe had one or two since Curbishley left the club. We've had a similar dearth of playmakers too. Stephens and Buyens are the only two that spring to mind. We've certainly almost never had a midfielder who can pass and a midfielder who can make space to receive a pass in the box in the same team at the same time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see him as an impact substitution but I'm not sure at the moment who you would replace him with in the starting line up. Today was a joke when it came to him playing as the link man between Josh and our midfield. Last Saturday he wasn't great but he was at least effective against oxford.
  • Options

I'm not sure at the moment who you would replace him with in the starting line up

Ajose? Botaka? Ba? Novak? Charles-Cook? Aribo? Umerah? Chicksen?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I'm not sure at the moment who you would replace him with in the starting line up

The second 4 possibly cos I haven't seen much of them but the first 4, fuck me, even if Jackson was 40 years older and only had half a leg he would be better than those lot.
  • Options

Leuth said:

The second 4 possibly cos I haven't seen much of them but the first 4, fuck me, even if Jackson was 40 years older and only had half a leg he would be better than those lot.
    You clearly left before Botaka came on today then
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Me! No legs, but fucks knows I can keep possession and pick intelligent and at times incisive passes.
  • Options

I was last at The Valley a little less than two years ago, and in a midfield with Buyens, Coquelin (the little legend), and then Cousins he looked utterly anonymous and frankly past it. The game just passes him by, and he hasn't adapted not only to the fact that he's getting slower, but also to the fact that a Bryan Robson all action box-to-box midfielder just doesn't have a place in the modern game with three-men central midfields unless that player is an exceptional athlete.

He missed a chunk of last year through injury, and when fit down the stretch wasn't first choice. When Riga first came in he tried playing him as a holding midfielder and it kind of sort of worked, but even then, even in our best game of the season against Rotherham, there were times in the first half where the game completely bypassed him due to lack of positioning or technical ability. He was better in the second half when the game condensed. But this is not a new problem. Popping up with the odd goal isn't enough for a central or wide midfielder of 34 if that's all they're contributing.
  • Options
    Maybe he will be more suited to league 2 football next season.
  • Options
    Feel sorry for him tbh
  • Options
    He's getting on a bit but from what I've seen this season I think he can still do a job, but maybe not for the full 90 minutes. Time to start thinking of his second career as full time defence screen for Calamity Kate.
  • Options
    Yesterday for the first time I thought there might be a grain of truth in the title of this thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016
    LenGlover said:

Yesterday for the first time I thought there might be a grain of truth in the title of this thread.

Likewise Len. Great ambassador for the club, but sadly his playing days are numbered - at least in terms of starting. Good to have on the bench and bring on if we need a goal. The game passed him by yesterday. Don't think that clown Slade helped by changing his position 3 times - it's quite simple, take him off. Him playing behind Magennis up front was laughable.

Speaking of Magennis, really think he ought to come out of the team as well. This lumping it up to him malarkey doesn't work. Any flick ons he won were going to nobody. Personally I want to see Ajose and Novak have 4 or 5 games to get a partnership up and running. They should be starting against Crawley.
  • Options
    In all brutal honesty I think Jacko is just as pissed off as the fans and going through the motion like the rest of us. He was around as skipper when were winning League 1 and already had a great rapport with the fans. When things went down hill he has remained loyal to the club mainly for the fans. During a meeting where he attended as club skipper he was sat next to miere and when she was talking the look on Jacko's face was one where he looked a bit pissed and probably thought to himself... "WTF are you talking about sweetheart?" I think the same in that instance can be said for Sols. Granted Jacko isn't quite as sharp as he was when winning League 1 but he is one of us.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Likewise Len. Great ambassador for the club, but sadly his playing days are numbered - at least in terms of starting. Good to have on the bench and bring on if we need a goal. The game passed him by yesterday. Don't think that clown Slade helped by changing his position 3 times - it's quite simple, take him off. Him playing behind Magennis up front was laughable.

Speaking of Magennis, really think he ought to come out of the team as well. This lumping it up to him malarkey doesn't work. Any flick ons he won were going to nobody. Personally I want to see Ajose and Novak have 4 or 5 games to get a partnership up and running. They should be starting against Crawley.
    If you swap your paragraphs around then it becomes much more understandable.

Magennis rarely lays the ball off in a useful manner with his head although you would think he should do better with the practice he gets in matches. Now add to that a 34 year old, who in his prime was a left back/midfielder and who has never admitted to having pace, playing the 'no 10' role. Seriously, what do you expect ?

JJ used most of his energy running into spaces in hope rather than expectation, then chasing back to do his more conventional role. JJ wasn't the problem yesterday, merely a symptom.
  • Options
    All midfields need energy. Ours has none and our business in the window in that area was totally inadequate . In fairness, I think Slade knew that
  • Options
    Hex said:

LenGlover said:

Magennis rarely lays the ball off in a useful manner with his head although you would think he should do better with the practice he gets in matches. Now add to that a 34 year old, who in his prime was a left back/midfielder and who has never admitted to having pace, playing the 'no 10' role. Seriously, what do you expect ?

JJ used most of his energy running into spaces in hope rather than expectation, then chasing back to do his more conventional role. JJ wasn't the problem yesterday, merely a symptom.
    Don't blame Jackson, blame Magennis! And drop him for Novak while you're about it. Fucking Christ, both of you
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Hex said:

LenGlover said:

Don't blame Jackson, blame Magennis! And drop him for Novak while you're about it. Fucking Christ, both of you
    I'm not blaming Magennis.
  • Options
    I'd have him in the starting eleven if for no other reason than the fact he attacks the ball defensively and offensively in the air.

Watch the rest of our superstars next time we get a corner or have ro defend one and tell me I'm wrong
  • Options
    Watch him have his best game yet this season against Coventry.
  • Options

Watch him have his best game yet this season against Coventry.

It's possible. He's always played really well about 5 times a season. (In the last 3 seasons).