Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Come in No 4 your time is up! (Ed. Page 33 - Jackson signs new contract to 2023)

Comments

• Options
    That Crofts is an influential player though isn't he, thank God we have him to pick up the slack.
  • Options
    He did put an ice pack on his leg as soon as he came off suggesting an injury. That said, not starting Chicksen was a poor decision.
  • Options
    I can understand people being protective of Jackson but the truth is he is not worth his place in the starting eleven anymore.
  • Options

Ah, this bastard thread.

The thing is, the longer recorded time goes on, the more chance this thread has of being right, and people can pat themselves on the back that they've finally pinpointed the moment our captain stopped being picked for the team. In reality though, what we probably should be focusing on is the fact this thread was started, hilariously, back in February 2014, and the man is still scoring goals for us as recently as 5th November 2016. For nearly three years people have been heralding Johnnie Jackson's demise and he just keeps on going. Eventually the day will come, as it does for all players, when he really can't turn out for Charlton anymore and has to retire. But in the meantime, I'd just like to take this opportunity to applaud Johnnie Jackson for continuing to play league football and score goals three years after his legs went, his engine broke down and his head fell off.

Absolutely, predicting him to be finished in Feb 2014 was ridiculous. But is it ridiculous to say the same in November 2016 ?
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I can understand people being protective of Jackson but the truth is he is not worth his place in the starting eleven anymore.

The truth is Jackson hasn't been worth his place in the starting eleven for a couple of years. Leave him on the bench, he's good for 15 mins & could even grab you a goal.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

dickplumb said:

The truth is Jackson hasn't been worth his place in the starting eleven for a couple of years. Leave him on the bench, he's good for 15 mins & could even grab you a goal.
    Does he get slower the more he is on the pitch? No. He was good before recent pressing tactics found out his lack of pace. He can't do a job for 5,10,15 minutes let alone 90. Good in his day, a talisman but now a busted flush. The fact he can't see it, diminishes him. Even Ali recognised it was time to go and called it a day.

A potential manager but not a sub or starter.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

Does he get slower the more he is on the pitch? No. He was good before recent pressing tactics found out his lack of pace. He can't do a job for 5,10,15 minutes let alone 90. Good in his day, a talisman but now a busted flush. The fact he can't see it, diminishes him. Even Ali recognised it was time to go and called it a day.

A potential manager but not a sub or starter.
    That's ridiculous. He's had a few poor games this year but some very good ones too. Plenty of average ones as well. He may not be the player he was and probably shouldn't be starting every week but as rotation/bench option he is good enough.
  • Options
    he's finished playing out wide, but set the team up correctly and he's still worth a spot, 3 at the back and a 5 man midfield he could easily play the 'quarterback' role - trouble is we probably don't have the other personnel to play a system like that

still love the bloke though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

he's finished playing out wide, but set the team up correctly and he's still worth a spot, 3 at the back and a 5 man midfield he could easily play the 'quarterback' role - trouble is we probably don't have the other personnel to play a system like that

Literally the only way we could get relegated to L2 is if we built a team around JJ
  • Options
    edited November 2016

I love Jacko, but he should be a sub. It's almost like playing with 10 men when he starts and it's compounded, if he starts in midfield with the other older players Foley & Crofts.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

But he really hasn't been a standout player for most of this time. That Norwich goal was a case in point. Get run ragged in midfield for 85 minutes, scuff one in off the defender's heel and suddenly all the criticism is invalid. While a goalscoring threat in the box, Jackson really doesn't bring much else to the team. He doesn't challenge, pass, move or cross. He's a great guy and a club legend but when is the last time any of you saw him dominate in midfield? Maybe that first half against Brentford under Luzon before he went off injured?

Quite. Kinsella's a club legend, but I wouldn't want him starting in midfield anymore. We transferred Kins out when his knees were shot. All legends careers have to come to an end.
  • Options
    I want to see a performance like yesterday in the centre of the park, instead of out wide, before I agree with the thread title.

I still feel he offers something.

I would like to see Lookman, Ulvestad, Jackson, Botaka against MK in the cup.
  • Options
    Probably the worst thing about Jackson's current run in the team is that he's been taking the set-pieces. What is the point of playing him if you're not going to have him in the box trying to score?
  • Options
    I love Jacko but he can't start these days. Neither should Crofts or Foley but that's another matter.
  • Options
    Anyway, I really think he'll be a fantastic manager and have a management career that dwarfs his playing achievements - like, he'll be remembered as a manager. I'd be delighted if that was with us.
  • Options

I want to see a performance like yesterday in the centre of the park, instead of out wide, before I agree with the thread title.

Didn't Jacko start in central midfield with Crofts, and Ulvestad on the left, against Swindon? No need to repeat that experiment.
  • Options
    sm said:

Didn't Jacko start in central midfield with Crofts, and Ulvestad on the left, against Swindon? No need to repeat that experiment.
    It was a diamond with those 3 plus Foley.
  • Options
    sm said:

It was a diamond, so it was completely different. Jackson was at the tip, Ulvestad and Foley were in the wide-central roles and Crofts was at the base. Jackson was essentially out of position at number 10 and there was no pace whatsoever to get the ball up the pitch. Every single member of that midfield was positioned in a way that didn't play to their strengths and it was an insane decision from Slade
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What the hell is 'the real CAFC'?
  • Options
    Real football man, lives and breathes the game
  • Options
    *pukes*
  • Options
    And everything, say, Josh Magennis says or does indicates that he isn't proud? I think we've got plenty of good guys who get it right now.
  • Options
    manilow is right in that the longer JJ's career goes on, the more chance this thread has of ringing true.

I don't agree however that it was wrong of the original poster to put it up when he did for debate. JJ has tirelessly shown his class time after time with all the goals and good performances he has had in between, but he's had some poor games as well.

Take last season. After his emphatic return to the team scoring against Fulham and Brum he did dick all imo.

Someone said above he's good for 65-70 m ins. He certainly wasn't on Saturday, I don't think he even looked in the game for 10 minutes.

I don't think any player will say their time is up, certainly at 34 but personally I feel many more poor games for him now rather than better ones if he starts.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

But he really hasn't been a standout player for most of this time. That Norwich goal was a case in point. Get run ragged in midfield for 85 minutes, scuff one in off the defender's heel and suddenly all the criticism is invalid. While a goalscoring threat in the box, Jackson really doesn't bring much else to the team. He doesn't challenge, pass, move or cross. He's a great guy and a club legend but when is the last time any of you saw him dominate in midfield? Maybe that first half against Brentford under Luzon before he went off injured?

Doesn't cross? In the 2 mins of high lists on sky's website from Saturday they show the protests both goals and 2 other moves. One of them is Jacko putting a lovely ball into the box that Josh couldn't quite get on the end of.
  • Options
    He may not have had a good game on Saturday but he was certainly decent against Port Vale. Came in from the left well and was always the extra man in the box which allowed Magennis to get free for his goal.

His performances have been mixed this year but he still has plenty to offer. I still reckon he'll get 10 goals this season if he stays fit.

I don't want to see him picked on the left but alongside Freddie in the centre he wouldna bad option at all.
  • Options
    sm said:

That was in a diamond.

Very different with Botaka and Lookman coming in and having two out and out wingers.

Not repeating anything - it's completely new.