Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rolands "network" is actually quite ingenious.

12346»

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:

razil said:

who decides where resources from the network of loans or scouts goes to i.e. new Messi crops up, which club does he end up at, surely all will want him - there must therefore be a hierarchy of some sort.

You can throw all sorts of business analogys at it, but the bottom line is pretty much non stop all clubs are looking to increase the quality of their labourforce, to maintain or improve their product, and will therefore be in competition with each other.

competition can be healthy ... and there does not always have to be a loser, win-win could be an option
    still needs a hierarchy of some sort, I think perhaps the independent clubs thing is spin after all the funding if needed will come from a central source too
  • Options
    razil said:

who decides where resources from the network of loans or scouts goes to i.e. new Messi crops up, which club does he end up at, surely all will want him - there must therefore be a hierarchy of some sort.

You can throw all sorts of business analogys at it, but the bottom line is pretty much non stop all clubs are looking to increase the quality of their labourforce, to maintain or improve their product, and will therefore be in competition with each other.

I suppose RD makes a decision on where the player can be best utilised- and the position of the club will have a bearing on this. So if it is a young Messi with a lot to prove, you could see it being us - but a more experienced Messi could be deemd more suitable for SL.
  • Options
    Or the closest we have to a young Messi (Poyet) gets shunted off to Spain...
  • Options

razil said:

I suppose RD makes a decision on where the player can be best utilised- and the position of the club will have a bearing on this. So if it is a young Messi with a lot to prove, you could see it being us - but a more experienced Messi could be deemd more suitable for SL.
    Very much doubt it. It'll no doubt be every man for himself. First, each Club has their own scouting network today and if a Charlton or Liege scout finds a player they like then their Club will have first dibs. Second, good players have choices. If a mini Messi signs for one of Duchatelet's Clubs he or his agent will decide which one. Moreover, there'll be a clause in the contract that says he can't be sent to spend the winter in Jena or Budapest!!

• Options
    But hasn't RD said thi sis one of the advantages of his system already? -(having a wider scouting network that is)
  • Options

But hasn't RD said thi sis one of the advantages of his system already? -(having a wider scouting network that is)

Yes he has and it probably is. However, I'm sure that scouts often come across players that their own Clubs don't need at that particular point in time. When this happens it wouldn't be hard to "tip off old Pedro at Alcorcon".

That's somewhat different though to having a central, shared network of scouts that sources and allocates players. I did wonder whether that's what Duchatelet might have in mind, but as I posted on the Press Conference thread, my take is that he implied yesterday that we would not see that degree of integration. It's early days yet though, of course, and the operation of the network may well evolve.

• Options
    My biggest problem is that the more profitable teams / smallest losses, are in the main, the ones that are relegated or are hovering on the brink.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/54397/championship-debt-profits-wages-to-turnover-etc-2011-12
  • Options
    nichorob said:

Diego Poyet to be loaned to his Spanish club according to twitter, according to RD he doesn't have the build for English football.

That's weird. Wasn't you who started the twitter rumour as well?

Nick Roberts ‏@nichorob 6h
    So looks like Diego Poyet is going to be packed off the to the Spanish second division #cafc
  • Options
    Diego is fluent in Spanish. It would be a good move in my view to aid his development as a player. Diego is only 18 years old, and I can't see how a year in Spain for him would be a terrible idea.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Diego is fluent in Spanish. It would be a good move in my view to aid his development as a player. Diego is only 18 years old, and I can't see how a year in Spain for him would be a terrible idea.

Under pretty much any circumstances I would agree with this but on this occasion I have one worry. Even at his tender age, since he has come into the first team he looks good enough to remain there. Losing him on loan would already be a blow unless we have a better more experienced player coming in.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I completely take your point. Diego has made a brilliant introduction to the first team. Young players can be inconsistent and one can only hope at this stage that Diego can arrive fully formed to be a mainstay, however it is quite rare. If we are able to play better players in midfield while he continues his development in an interesting and stimulating environment (where he is able to settle), then it may be brilliant all round.
    Calum Harriott also burst excitingly onto the scene a year ago or so, and to an extent he makes my point for me about the tendency towards inconsistency in young players.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

nichorob said:

Diego Poyet to be loaned to his Spanish club according to twitter, according to RD he doesn't have the build for English football.

That's weird. Wasn't you who started the twitter rumour as well?

Nick Roberts ‏@nichorob 6h
    So looks like Diego Poyet is going to be packed off the to the Spanish second division #cafc
    Look at the RT about 5 seconds before that, I hope you have no career aspirations to become a detective.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Good post Grapevine.

As my previous posts have shown, I believe RD's 'network' approach has a lot of merit. Yes, it is untried in football, but that doesn't mean it will not work.

It is a very similar philosophy to that of the company for which I worked for 3 decades before going out on my own. Leverage your global resources for the benefit of the company and staff. Move people around so that both they and the company benefit. Develop and utilise internal young staff rather than always looking on the market. Bring in outside resources as and when it will be beneficial. I learnt much more by having the opportunity to move around the company and work in dozens of countries around the world, as did many of my colleagues.

Is football any different to business? It is certainly more 'emotional' but you still need the basic building blocks to produce a success.

I like what I see so far with our new owners. Castigating them when they have only been in place for a few weeks makes no sense. Whenever my previous employers appointed new senior management, there was normally an unofficial '100-day' rule. We did not give knee-jerk reactions to the appointment, but gave them 100 days to have a strategy in place, establish effective teams, generate quick-wins, and define the priorities for the future.

As far as I can ascertain from the outside, this is exactly what RD is implementing. I am reasonably relaxed with progress so far and look forward to a very benefical future for CAFC.

In terms of 'playing time', we are now past the 100 days ... looking good so far :-)
  • Options
    Who said we were going to be a "Feeder Team" haha.

Far from it.
  • Options
    nichorob said:

lol
  • Options
    Nope, it's actually quite shit.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Without doubt the most laughable thread title I've seen on this forum. Both at the time, and in hindsight. Still recovering from it to be honest.
  • Options

3. Get relegated after forcing players on the manager and selling those who get selected infront of Standard Liege rejects.

• Options
    Scoham said:

The concern is can a manager make a strong enough team from these players, build team spirit etc. Add a few more in the summer and you could have a lot of players with little experience of English football.

Basically last season - academy and European players, both lacking experience and not enough that had even proven themselves at any level.