Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan v. Charlton post-match views 2014

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Richard J said:

Anyone thought that having a goalie playing his second game trying to organise a wall of players whose names he doesn't know might have had something to do with conceding the second?

Oh no, easier to blame Powell...

Who also can't speak much English.

If that is the case why isn't the manager instructing a senior player on the pitch to take control? Parker used to organise walls when he was here.

Keep clutching at those straws.

• Options
    I expected to be up against it for the first 5 or 10 minutes of the second half, unfortunately it lasted for 49 minutes. I wasn't even getting excited with 3 minutes left because I knew we wouldn't hold on and frankly, don't deserve to playing football in that way. It is so obvious to everyone, commentators, fans, even neutrals and opposition fans, that we sit back far too deep after scoring, everyone except Chris Powell. How he ever expects to kill a game off by scoring a second goal I have no idea. Until this season, he used to learn from his mistakes, but he now keeps making the same one, over and over again. I don't want him to go, I just want him to be more positive. Fortune favours the brave Chris, be positive and you will be rewarded.
  • Options
    I spoke to someone there at HT......quote

"we scored a bit of a lucky goal and have been totally under the cosh ever since. If Wigan get an equaliser, they will also get the winner"

Whoever you like/love in the side/dugout - the stats don't lie.

We are short on quality.
  • Options

Richard J said:

Anyone thought that having a goalie playing his second game trying to organise a wall of players whose names he doesn't know might have had something to do with conceding the second?

Oh no, easier to blame Powell...

Who also can't speak much English.

If that is the case why isn't the manager instructing a senior player on the pitch to take control? Parker used to organise walls when he was here.

Keep clutching at those straws.

Because the Goalkeeper needs to be able to see the ball if it gets passed the wall which is why it should be him organising it
  • Options
    Has anyone who was at the game given an opinion yet?
  • Options
    Can rhe ITTV trolls return to their pathetic site? Never seen so many negative posts from unknown "fans". CAFC 100%.
  • Options
    If you want to look there are a lot of positives today - good managers make use of them.
  • Options
    If Powell goes we will get Avram Grant or someone similar - what self respecting manager is going to let an owner have such a say in how his squad is shaped & who plays....I actually hope he does walk himself for his sake.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dervite is not a midfielder, he is a defender, and when brought on as a defender he drops back to the central defence and gets in the way. It does my head in when CP brings on Dervite as a midfielder as it generally doesn't help and causes disruption in the home defence. I know Charlton are short on bodies in midfield but there must be a better option than that.

It will be good to see how the attending Charlton saw it.

It feels typical though, Charlton go up 1-0 and look like winning unexpectedly then receive a kick in the balls by the team conceeding 2 late goals. Defeat dragged from the jaws of victory. It is the hope as ever that kills you.
  • Options
    Have not called for CP to go, but starting to think that although some new one is unlikely to do any better, could they do any worse ! so is it a gamble worth taking .
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I thought based on the reactions of many on here that the leaving of Yann Kermorgant was going to ensure we would be promoted to the premier league. Apparently loan players from Belgium who are barely potty trained combined with our existing squad can't manage that.

I am shocked. Powell out.

Have a sleep.
  • Options

Has anyone who was at the game given an opinion yet?

Quoted my son earlier in the thread
  • Options
    I try to remain optimistic but the stats don't lie. Since we beat Brighton on Boxing Day we've played 5 league games drawing 2 and losing 3. 2 points from a possible 15, scoring just 3 times. And the style of football is absolutely dire.

I know its half a lifetime ago but, through all the years of (mostly) struggle in the 1960's and 70's, we were, most of the time, entertaining to watch and scored plenty of goals. AND passed the bloody ball to each other on the grass.

I mean, it's just not much fun anymore.
  • Options

Have not called for CP to go, but starting to think that although some new one is unlikely to do any better, could they do any worse ! so is it a gamble worth taking .

I think it's either going to be RD's way or the highway - its looking like we need a spineless & compliant manager who will allow him free reign & as long as CP is here that isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    When it went 1-1. Was gutted. 2-1 was a massive kick in the nuts.

Didn't go today. Were in this relegation scrap and got 19 games left to save us from league 1.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Can't believe we never got something from this game. Team spirit was good and the youngsters Poyet,Lennon and Cousins did very well. Now for the foreign Legion, Thuram dire never came for a single cross. I've played with better keepers on a Sunday morning. Reza showed early promise tired and did little 2nd half. Astrit average again tired, Nego iffy not match fit , away support fantastic . We move on to Brum.

Makes getting rid of Alnwick even worse. Bring back Hamer when fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They might not do worse but they might just be an unlikeable wanker. I.e Warnock or Avram Grant who's been mentioned above. I'd rather do badly with someone I support and respect in charge. If Powell were to go they would have to do a very good job with his replacement.
  • Options
    I think Chris is on very thin ice. Enough said.
  • Options

If Powell went I'd want Mackay. I want Powell to stay and sort this out though.

Now that's an interesting call... forgot about MM good tactician
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Can't believe we never got something from this game. Team spirit was good and the youngsters Poyet,Lennon and Cousins did very well. Now for the foreign Legion, Thuram dire never came for a single cross. I've played with better keepers on a Sunday morning. Reza showed early promise tired and did little 2nd half. Astrit average again tired, Nego iffy not match fit , away support fantastic . We move on to Brum.

Makes getting rid of Alnwick even worse. Bring back Hamer when fit.
    Will RD allow that ? Oh well, Thuram will get lots of chances to improve his ability with crosses in the British game. It will be sink or swim I guess.
  • Options
    madadd said:

Probably an unrealistic one but he'd be my first choice.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Cheers RC
  • Options
    madadd said:

And why did MM leave Cardiff? Oh an interfering owner. But sure, he'd get on just fine with Roly Poly...
  • Options
    Wigan fans laughing at Thuram on Twitter.
  • Options
    The manner of the defeat is very hard to take, but then I had zero expectations.
    The mood within the squad must be desperate now and with CP clearly no longer in charge of player recruitment, I'm not sure where we go from here other than down.

Next 5 aways:

Leicester
    Millwall
    Derby
    Forest
    Brighton

Our slim chance of staying up will come down to our home form.
    Minimum 6 wins needed from here.
  • Options

You know what I have been completely unsure where I lie with CP. But this suns it up. If he stays we are going down.....we have been hopeless all year and the same frailties and mistakes are coming up time and time again. A new manager may not work, but it is a gamble worth taking. So many teams change manager and the players seem to get a boost. Look at Sheff Weds, Palace etc. The way I look at it we are 100pc down with CP and even if we are 75pc down with someone else it is still better odds. Facts met be that most managerial changes bring at least a short term uplift. We waited too long to replace Reed in the prem. Pards would have saved us otherwise. Same thing is happening here.