Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan v. Charlton post-match views 2014

Comments

• Options
    Gutted, but better score than I expected. Good debuts giving hope for the future.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

I wonder how some of you deal with a leaky toilet? Replace the tub?

Said Confucius............

• Options
    But then again had that rocket that hit the underside of the crossbar from our new guy had of gone in we would be in a different mood now.
  • Options
    Bayern are not high Championship/mid Prem, believe me.
  • Options
    My son on his way back ...he is a Powell supporter but his text says 'played well first half, too negative second half, powells fault we lost'
  • Options
    Uboat said:

We lost away from home against a strong side. Of course that won't stop a torrent of nonsense from football experts about the correct way to play when winning away from home against a better team.

To win games of football you need to attack and shoot at goal yes! powell was a defender and still is as a manager! if i was alex dyer i would be saying to him surely we need the ball up the other end!!!
  • Options
    Neither are Wigan !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Powell needs to go. His subs at the end were what caused the defeat. Being up 1-0 only to concede 2 in the last few minutes is terrible.

This result and the previous one give Roland all the ammo he needs to fire him.
  • Options
    Who gave away the Free-Kick by the way that led to Gomez scoring... Surely its that players fault rather than Powell as I cant imagine him ordering someone to do it!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Don't even know what to think tbh. Before the game I was happy to write the game off, after 85 minutes I'm desperate to win but then hear that Dervite is coming on. I then fully expect us to concede and within minutes we're 2-1 down. I want Powell to stay and do a good job but you have to question if he's ever going to learn, he seems to make the same mistakes a hell of a lot. Saying that I do feel he get's the lads to play for him and perform at their best, he just ruins it with dodgy subs and negative tactics.
  • Options

Anyone thought that having a goalie playing his second game trying to organise a wall of players whose names he doesn't know might have had something to do with conceding the second?

Oh no, easier to blame Powell...

Sorry grasping at straws with that excuse !

• Options
    Huskaris said:

I think we have a few descendants of Nostradamus in our midst considering they knew so well what would happen with Powells substitutions. I hope one of them gets made manager next!

I flaming don't! :-)
  • Options
    Can only go by the commentary posted here, but it seems we were already heavily under the cosh before Dervite came on. If Powell had brought on Church instead and we'd been conceding two goals, he'd now be getting slated for not shoring up the defence when we were under such pressure.

Would like to hear from those who were there, but the midfield sounded pretty anonymous on the whole. Is that because of the major lack of posession, or cos we were playing it long down the wings?
  • Options
    Think we need a few games for the new players to gel. I think we will be ok finish up the middle of the table.
  • Options
    It's a funny one on here isn't it? There are those that reply with sarcasm or accuse you of being part of a non-existent and blind "Powell Out" brigade that refuse to listen to anyone else's opinions if you dare to criticise, but then it's this very same people who act in that exact way.

For the record, Chris Powell is my hero and I hope he sorts this out. However, he got it wrong today, the same as he did at Doncaster and the same as he did away to Yeovil.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Anyone thought that having a goalie playing his second game trying to organise a wall of players whose names he doesn't know might have had something to do with conceding the second?

You think players not knowing each other names going into a game is easier to blame? Please.
  • Options

Who also can't speak much English.

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Maybe a more calming influence like Hughes old have been brought on? Or attack minded players like Church or Green?

Possibly, but if Hughes had come on it would've been "he lacks pace", if Church it would've been "he's just useless all round, why persist", if Green "he can't beat his man ..."

We got kicked in the balls and it hurts.
    Unfortunately we'll never know.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Think we need a few games for the new players to gel. I think we will be ok finish up the middle of the table.

Yup this... the more the new team plays together... the more used to each other we become the better we'll be become

As Slater said towards the end of the Season when we finished 13th in League One... Powell isnt a magician, he cant cast a spell to get these players playing together as one completely by saying magic words only time and patience can do that (And before anyway says we dont have that... We've still got 19 or so games so plenty of it left)
  • Options

Yup this... the more the new team plays together... the more used to each other we become the better we'll be become
    Have to agree with this, especially considering the team that started has only really all trained together for one day.
  • Options
    Don't want Powell out, just thought he made a bad decision today.

Think people lump in everyone that criticises in the 'Powell Out' camp, so they can ignore it. But there are those of us that want Powell as manager, just maybe don't agree with 100% of his decisions.
  • Options

Sack Powell now! He isn't good enough!he should of walked when yann went that was down to him! Let him go il have warnock or Jol

Don't say that! Remember what happened the last time a former Palace manager came to Charlton?!
  • Options
    Came back from being out and wanted to follow on the match thread. When I saw we had 41 pages I was convinced it was a win. Was dancing round the room. Then the sucker punch. Starting to find that caring too much about ths hurts too much. So trying to distance myself from it. It's only football, and we are probably going down whether we like it or not.

What I will say is that I was speaking to a load of Sheffield Weds fans in the bar who are at the hotel for a wedding. They think it is hilarious that whilst we are so hopeless the fans are so massively behind the manager whilst they make a change and are starting to leave us behind. I just don't know what to think about Powell any more.
  • Options
    If Powell went I'd want Mackay. I want Powell to stay and sort this out though.
  • Options
    Out and about and checking the scores was shocked and very happy to see Charlton one up and concerned to see Wiggins go off. What happened to him ? how is the injury ?

Kept checking the scores and it still said 1-0 at 85 mins and was gutted to see that 2 goals were conceeded at 88 and 90 mins. Be interested to hear how the new boys did and how Poyet got on.