Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alnwick to Leyton Orient (ed. SOLD)

Comments

• Maybe we are just seeing the culmination of the last 18 months accelerated into this transfer window - the team has stagnated, and needs freshing up - that didn't happen last transfer window, or in the summer, so all this activity is just what would have happened anyway in a more "normal" season. I wish Ben A well - he came in as a reserve goalie and did very well when called upon to start. He has now guaranteed himself first team footie instead of having to fight it out at Charlton with two other very good keepers.
  • Cut and pasted from the China Syndrome thread.

Change is both a danger and an opportunity whatever the Chinese word is. The opportunity to build on what we have or the danger of slipping back into league one. The opportunity to sweep the slate clean and start afresh or the danger of undoing the good work of the past three years, the danger of being a feeder club in a euro-farm or the opportunity of being part of an international network of talent.

As the Chinese curse says "may you live in interesting times"

Well, this is getting very interesting now.

Not going to comment yet as I think there is more to be played out but if there is a plan then I do wish RD and KM would let the rest of us, and maybe CP too, in on the secret
  • The title for this thread is stupid. Complete over reaction.
  • I'm not as shocked or despondent as some because I think I got my head around what things were going to be like a couple of weeks ago. Alnwick has been very good but let's not forget here that he was a free signing and has not established himself anywhere previously. We have Ben Hamer and a French GK that is hoping for a World Cup place. We are signing players that in the main are of good pedigree with youth and under 21 international honours with teams better than England. The window is still open and let's see where we are tomorrow.

My only concern is that SCP won't be able to work in this new untried and untested model and will depart. I hope not. Six weeks ago we were in serious danger of administration and couldn't afford to sign a new tea lady.

It may all end in tears but it just might not. Lots have people have said this will be a roller coaster. It will. I'm not bailing out just yet.
  • edited January 2014
    Madness our best keeper now this has pissed me off .

Bring pope back the lad is gonna be class.
  • Strange one, really didn't expect it. I do like Hamer though.
  • Seems like we are doing a similar thing to Watford last season.
    Sadly to me we completely lose our identity.
    I would rather see our young players come through and a few establised signings (eg Simeon Jackson).
    But obviously this is not going to happen!
  • really ? so your sure CP has any idea what this "plan" is.

I don't know if it was aimed at me, but no, I am not sure, I'm just saying there is a chance. I'm worried as well, but my hope is there is a plan, and that CP is a part of it.
    MrLargo said:

sasquatch said:

I'm nervous, excited, jumpy! and anxious to what is gonna happen today,

Sorry but I would have to add "deluded" to that list as well. What has happened over the last couple of days and so far today, and what Powell would have wanted to happen over the same period are galaxies apart.
    Am I deluded for saying there is a chance?
  • Strange one, really didn't expect it. I do like Hamer though.

I like hamer but on form alnwick has been superb.
  • Shock well not really as we bought in the Keeper from Standard ... was hoping it would be Hamer who went but Oh well
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2014
    An unsustainable football business has a head on clash with a new economic plan. It breaks all the rules that we know, but something had to give. I would just rather it wasn't us that are Ratty's guinea pigs and now Wind in the Willows requires rewriting. I wish Ben well, I thought he showed a great deal of promise. Quite how football managers will view this I have no idea. The only cheer is that parasitic agents are not going to like it either. That's my positivity done for the day. Can I cry now please?
  • I just hope Powell has a say in all of this.
  • In my opinion, there's not much to choose between Hamer and Alnwick. Both have strengths and weaknessess. I have a feeling that Alwick was told he'd be second or third choice once Hamer was fit and his agent may have manufactured the move. Just a thought...

There is only one guy who is going to be number one and its the guy that cost us points at Middlesborough,
    harsh. As I doubt you were there AFKA, with all due respect, how can you comment on his performance?

Harsh maybe, but the reality is Alnwick is CURRENTLY our number one keeper, and has been over the last month. Our manager has had a new keeper sent to him that he did not want, and i believe, been told to play him. He did so at Boro, and regardless of whether he pulled off some good saves, made a howler that determined the result.

Alnwick come back into the side, performed very well. At Doncaster i have heard it suggested (entirely up to you whether you believe me or not) Powell was told to play Thuram by RD / RD's people, Powell went against it and played the player he wanted to play, Alnwick.

Three days later Alnwick is sold, and rumours circ that Powell was close to being sacked.

Thuram may well turn out to be a much better keeper than any we currently have, but that is irrelevent. He was not the choice of those whose decisions it should be who play and who don't.

Should Powell walk ?? Of course he should. His position has been completely undermined and is currently untenable.

However, you saw how the ridiculous similar farce at Cardiff turned out and Malky McKay refusing to hand in his notice in a similar situation. I wonder if Powell is mates with Malky by any chance...

• It's a shock but something had to give with regards to our goalkeeping situation. Thuram is here now and by all accounts he's a very good player. Hamer had a dip in form but he's also an excellent keeper and a top distributor. While I've been impressed by Alnwick and his excellent beard there was no way we were going to keep all three around if fit. I think this had to happen in some form or another and this is the way it panned out. Best of luck to Ben
  • In my opinion, there's not much to choose between Hamer and Alnwick. Both have strengths and weaknessess. I have a feeling that Alwick was told he'd be second or third choice once Hamer was fit and his agent may have manufactured the move. Just a thought...

There is only one guy who is going to be number one and its the guy that cost us points at Middlesborough,
    harsh. As I doubt you were there AFKA, with all due respect, how can you comment on his performance?

Harsh maybe, but the reality is Alnwick is CURRENTLY our number one keeper, and has been over the last month. Our manager has had a new keeper sent to him that he did not want, and i believe, been told to play him. He did so at Boro, and regardless of whether he pulled off some good saves, made a howler that determined the result.

Alnwick come back into the side, performed very well. At Doncaster i have heard it suggested (entirely up to you whether you believe me or not) Powell was told to play Thuram by RD / RD's people, Powell went against it and played the player he wanted to play, Alnwick.

Three days later Alnwick is sold, and rumours circ that Powell was close to being sacked.

Thuram may well turn out to be a much better keeper than any we currently have, but that is irrelevent. He was not the choice of those whose decisions it should be who play and who don't.

Should Powell walk ?? Of course he should. His position has been completely undermined and is currently untenable.

However, you saw how the ridiculous similar farce at Cardiff turned out and Malky McKay refusing to hand in his notice in a similar situation. I wonder if Powell is mates with Malky by any chance...

Why have you not talked about church's two howlers that he fucked up and did not score which determined the result?
  • We will not have any perm Charlton players at this rate.. I want a team that look like they care not a bunch of mercenaries.

What happens if this guy up's and leaves..
  • AFKA. I don't doubt any of the above. All I was saying is that you said Thuram cost us the game at Boro' which, in my opinion, is harsh.

Why have you not talked about church's two howlers that he fucked up and did not score which determined the result?

because it is completely irrespective to my point. My point is the manager is being told what goalkeeper to play.
  • edited January 2014

In my opinion, there's not much to choose between Hamer and Alnwick. Both have strengths and weaknessess. I have a feeling that Alwick was told he'd be second or third choice once Hamer was fit and his agent may have manufactured the move. Just a thought...

because it is completely irrespective to my point. My point is the manager is being told what goalkeeper to play.
    but you don't know that AFKA ... it's just guesswork and supposition. If you are right, I agree ... but I'm not convinced yet. Let's see where we are at 11 pm.

It'd be difficult to prove this, seeing Powell's comments on the ES? It's a sound business decision seeing that Alnwick came on a free and we'd avoid paying him for the last 3 months AND get a fee - making the most of what's put in front of RD... Those who were there were impressed by Thuram and I'd believe them to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:

In my opinion, there's not much to choose between Hamer and Alnwick. Both have strengths and weaknessess. I have a feeling that Alwick was told he'd be second or third choice once Hamer was fit and his agent may have manufactured the move. Just a thought...

but you don't know that AFKA ... it's just guesswork and supposition. If you are right, I agree ... but I'm not convinced yet. Let's see where we are at 11 pm.
    As said, just my view based on what i've been told. Everyone is entitled to their own view.

And as much as i like Powell, i would not believe a single word he says in the press or in public.

• I suppose there is always the chance that CP has bought into this. He could be at desperation point with the current squad and be going along with RD's clearout. Keep himself at the club he loves and see how RD's project goes. Alternatively he could be sat at Sparrows lane with his head up his arse thinking strange thoughts like the rest of us.
  • edited January 2014

I suppose there is always the chance that CP has bought into this. He could be at desperation point with the current squad and be going along with RD's clearout. Keep himself at the club he loves and see how RD's project goes. Alternatively he could be sat at Sparrows lane with his head up his arse thinking strange thoughts like the rest of us.

He has not bought into this. He is in an impossible situation. What options does he have? If he doesn't play Roland's players he gets the chop, if he does the dressing room is lost.
  • stonemuse said:

As said, just my view based on what i've been told. Everyone is entitled to their own view.

And as much as i like Powell, i would not believe a single word he says in the press or in public.

With the greatest respect AFKA your argument can't lose can it ? Selective choice of what you believe.

I suppose we're all guilty of that.

• The only player to come away from Doncester with any credit.
  • Rob62 said:

I suppose there is always the chance that CP has bought into this. He could be at desperation point with the current squad and be going along with RD's clearout. Keep himself at the club he loves and see how RD's project goes. Alternatively he could be sat at Sparrows lane with his head up his arse thinking strange thoughts like the rest of us.

He has not bought into this. He is in an impossible situation.
    how do you know that?
  • I am a powell man through and through and I don't doubt he is having pressure put on to play thurum but if RD didn't come in how long until we lost all the players stated and ten points

• The only player to come away from Doncester with any credit.

Sadly that shows what a poor team we have. Personally I would be glad if a GK of ours never won a MOM award again because it means the players in front of him are performing.