Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yohann Thuram (zombie thread)

Comments

• Options
    You can have Joe Hart, Lloris, Mignolet any of them in goal it will not change our season. Letting goals in is not our problem.

Just to reiterate if this was palace we would be taking the piss
  • Options
    Unless we are selling Hamer or Alnwick its a waste why do we need 3 keepers
  • Options
    We've also got five strikers.

Does that mean we don't need anymore?

If a better player is available, take him

Welcome Thuram the man!
  • Options
    Guaranteed to improve our goal scoring as it frees Hamer to play up front.
  • Options

Can he play up front?

If not, I don't get it.
  • Options
    I must admit, I don't get it either. It wasn't exactly one of those positions we've been crying out for unless he's a superstar and we don't know it yet.
  • Options
    As long as we win...I don't care who's between the sticks
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Does anyone know if Hammer is out with a longer injury than expected?

Thuram might be cover for that reason and not to replace either keeper.

It was said that Hamer had a small setback last week (whatever that means).

It means we've signed a better keeper :-)

Being on my travels means I haven't seen any games for a few months so not seen anything of Alnwick to judge personally but reports seem positive. Hammer is far from perfect but good enough for where we are and we have bigger needs elsewhere which should be priority. As everyone knows that being a striker.
    However just because we don't really need a new keeper doesn't mean we shouldn't get one in who's better if opportunity arises. Obviously we don't know if he is better or even exactly why he's here so it's difficult to make a full judgement yet. Will be interesting to see how things pan out and if he is indeed put straight in as no 1.
  • Options
    We do have two good keepers.

I have not seen to many 'wow, how did he do that?' saves.

Dean Kiely pulled off some magical saves and if you can tourn a loss into a draw or a draw into a win then you are on your way. Maybe RD, having actually seen all the goalkeepers play knows what he is doing.

Anyone who is better is more than welcome.
  • Options
    Agree....i cast envious glances in the direction of kaspar schemeical, paddy kenny and lee camp who are.class at this level.

hamer and alnwick .. no criticism but if yohann is a cut above then lets give.him a chance.

An outstanding keeper is an additional 10 points a season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only time to worry is if he is worse than the other two and STILL gets picked every week. Why don't we wait and see what happens. Welcome Yohann.
  • Options
    Happy for him to be here provided it's completely at Powell's discretion if he's picked or not.
  • Options
    Good clip. Pushes most shots away, but with modern ball this is often the way - especially abroad. Some great saves in there - but only a clip. Big chap though and looks like he keeps the defence 'informed'!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Good clip. Pushes most shots away, but with modern ball this is often the way - especially abroad. Some great saves in there - but only a clip. Big chap though and looks like he keeps the defence 'informed'!

Hard to believe but he is smaller than Ben Hamer!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Happy for him to be here provided it's completely at Powell's discretion if he's picked or not.

Agree

Don't agree with the "he's not a striker so why have we signed him" line of thinking.

If he is a better keeper then all is good but it should be the manager's choice who plays.

As and when strikers become available they can be signed but it would be pointless saying "no, we don't want this defender/keeper who can improve the squad as we must buy players in a certain order".
  • Options
    He's better than Lilian,
    He's better than Lilian,
    Yohann Thuram,
    He's better than Lilian!

Doesn't quite work does it?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

That's what I meant really. If there's no outside interference, he will only play if he is an improvement on the others.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Don't agree with the "he's not a striker so why have we signed him" line of thinking.
    Trouble is this is the January Transfer Window... Yes we want a Striker but during this month they're probably the most sought after position by most club (Especially in this window as just look and think about the number of clubs in the Premier League alone who need a Striker themselves).

Unfortunately if a club our size goes out and buys a Striker in this window its gonna be highly unlikely they're banging in goals for fun as the likes of Wells (and probably Callum Wilson) are banging in goals for fun, its gonna be more likely we'll have to go for the Dom Dwyer type (i.e. untested and take a risk with them, and yes because he's would also be coming from abroad I'd put Reza in that category too)
  • Options
    I don't get all this 'He's not a Striker, so its a waste' talk. We have no idea of our other transfer targets are and what may or may not be the reasons we haven't signed a striker yet!

Should RD or SCP say 'no don't sign this world cup hopeful, we need to get a striker first' and then we lose out be cause he goes somewhere else??

A great signing if he's as good as suggested.

Let's not forget that just a few weeks ago we where worried about administration rather than whether the addition of a world cup hopeful might upset the squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014

Agree....i cast envious glances in the direction of kaspar schemeical, paddy kenny and lee camp who are.class at this level.

hamer and alnwick .. no criticism but if yohann is a cut above then lets give.him a chance.

Agreed. I can see him comíng in and getting games. Might take a couple of weeks but RD won't be sending him here to bench warm. He could do that at Standard Liege.
  • Options
    Has he actually got a chance of going to the World Cup ?
  • Options

Agreed. I can see him comíng in and getting games. Might take a couple of weeks but RD won't be sending him here to bench warm. He could do that at Standard Liege.
    Thats the problem. That should be powells choice if he plays or not. And powell has no reason to drop alnwick. Hopefully powell sticks to his guns and decides himself what is best for the team.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    they guy is getting paid by Duchatelets Empire whichever way, to sit about and do nowt, this way he may play, and possibly help one of the 'colonies' improve. It's early doors for all this and seems to be opportunistic at the moment rather then methodical, of course there will always be a level of opportunism involved.
  • Options
    cos we're under the rule of roland , we actually don't know if we're skint or not
    if the old regime were still here and we'd signed this keeper we'd be screaming why are we wasting money on a keepers wages when that could go towards a striker
    roland can manipulate the wage structure how ever he sees fit

freak show
  • Options
    Surely getting an extra goal keeper is better than administration and a 10 point deduction. Some people just love a moan up. We have half the month left to get a striker in, we have not played many games this year for the new people to see what our players are like.

We need to give RD time and see what happens, bottom line is we have two extra players we did not have last month.
  • Options

Does anyone know if Hammer is out with a longer injury than expected?

Thuram might be cover for that reason and not to replace either keeper.

It was said that Hamer had a small setback last week (whatever that means).
    Hamer fell off his ego and bruised himself.
  • Options
    indeed, could this be used to manipulate financial fair play as well?
  • Options
    robroy said:

We need to give RD time and see what happens, bottom line is we have two extra players we did not have last month.

Agree RD can only be judged in the long run but we can also waffle about the situation

bottom line we have a third keeper which would be the last back up place or new possy required, a new centre midfield as back up to our strongest pairing we've had for years and lost a winger who has been a regular starter for a while
  • Options

robroy said:

Agree RD can only be judged in the long run but we can also waffle about the situation

bottom line we have a third keeper which would be the last back up place or new possy required, a new centre midfield as back up to our strongest pairing we've had for years and lost a winger who has been a regular starter for a while
    In my opinion losing Stewart was not the end of the world, he was a complete luxury. Granted he got us some nice goals but he is not the modern day winger with defensive abilities, you need that in this league.

Teams like Blackpool have players of Tom Inces ability, now with a player like that you can afford the luxury.

If we get a decent winger that can get a ball in the box and an out and out goal scorer we should head up that table.

We are not asking for much haha!