Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yohann Thuram (zombie thread)

Comments

• Options
    New owner... But back to none of us having a clue what's going on. Deja vu.
  • Options
    Obviously owners do as they like , personally wots happened at the moment is we have 2 players on loan from SL this is fine but maybe this could unsettle the dressing room , i hope CP spoke with RD about these players , i also feel for the keepers we have who to be fair have all done ok , nick pope is gonna be a great keeper whether its with us or elsewhere hopefully with us but by the look of things he is way down the pecking order.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see if Ghoochannejhad is linked next, would be the kind of striker we would need
  • Options
    Sorry, but a complete waste of time signing this guy. Hamer and Alnwick may not be world beaters but they're both perfectly competent at this level. And as poster above says, Nick Pope by all accounts is very highly rated by the powers that be and this just closes he door on him completely (unless both Hamer and Alnwick are being shown the door).

But it's the unsettling effect this must have on the dressing room I find most concerning. In any workplace, getting people to work together, building a good atmosphere, creating - dare I use the phrase - a "we're all in this together" feeling is paramount. Lord knows Chris Powell has done this in abundance here. Yet now some guy is just waltzed in and as presumably he's not come here to play in the reserves, who could blame Hamer and Alnwick if they get the right hump. And others will look on and think It might be me next. It just does nothing for team morale - which is probably one of the few things we've got going for us at the moment.

As others have said, RD pays the bills and can do what he wants. But that doesn't make what he does automatically right. Instead, this just strengthens my view that by giving him the reins to the club we have merely jumped out of the frying pan into the fire.
  • Options
    Amazing how some people can so easily confuse moaning with general discussion and a little bit of concern.
  • Options
    If Joe Hart was offered to Charlton, at very little cost, would we, as fans, want to take him on loan from Man City for six months? Yes, of course we would. This guy - welcome Yohann! - is in a similar position to Hart, not playing regularly because he has very good competition at club level, and wanting to confirm a World Cup squad place. I like both Hamer and Alnwick, but teams evolve, and players move on. Maybe a Ben will go to Liege as number 2 to their Japanese 'keeper and it will all be cosy once more?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    We are assuming that Powell has had nothing to do with it though.

They could ask him 'would you like this keeper?',

CP has a look at videos and says

'yes i would like this keeper as he looks as though he would challenge for a first team place and would strengthen the squad'.

I don't think you would need to comb the universe to find better than Hamer and Alnwick and this bloke could very well be better which is better for the club.

It doesn't state anywhere that we are not signing any more strikers or we are finished in the transfer market. Its january 14th at least wait until the window closes before we start slagging off the board and their decisions. It would be a nice change to show a little faith since they haven't done anything wrong yet and we don't know the bigger picture. Unless you think adding to the squad is wrong.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Has he actually got a chance of going to the World Cup ?

I wouldn't have thought so. He's got to get ahead of these three:

Hugo Lloris
    Steve Mandanda
    Mickaël Landreau

Not a chance.
  • Options

He's better than Lilian,
    He's better than Lilian,
    Yohann Thuram,
    He's better than Lilian!

Doesn't quite work does it?

Almost...just adjust the syllables in each line

yohann yohann
    he's better than Lilian
    together their 2 Thurams
    yohann yohann
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems like team spirit is probably our greatest asset at the moment and to be honest I'd be more worried about upsetting that than adding a player into a position that's well covered.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

When do we get to see him holding a shirt looking pissed off?

• Options
    seems to me we need another keeper on the books for rest of this season anyway, not sure why so many think we are well covered ... we only have 2 experienced keepers, just an injury and a red card away from none at all ...
  • Options
    I think people should probably give RD a bit of credit here or at the very least wait until we've heard from Powell about him. RD wants to improve us, i don't believe he's gone in there and said to Powell, right i knoe you don't need a keeper but tough sh*t, you're playing this keeper because i say so. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they've both sat down and gone through the players at Liege who could come here and help us. RD isn't an idiot.

Thuram has done well in France's top flight and has played for their U21s, so at the very least he surely has to be better than Hamer who lets be honest, was getting loads of stick from fans on this site just a few months ago.

Hopefully a journo will ask Powell about Thuram after tonights game.
  • Options

RD isn't an idiot.

Not an idiot because he knows how to make money, but he'll show complete disregard to anyone in doing so. He is I would say no better an owner to have than Vincent Tan. RD may not change our shirt colour but he might have us playing players just as a form of training for Standard or as a means to prove that Thuram's handling of the ball is not a risk to purchase as a Premiership club might currently believe. The result might be unrest in our changing room but a nice 10+ million in the bank for Standard when they sell him to Arsenal or Newcastle in the summer.

I hope this is not the case but people on here seem to have pulled the blinkers over their eyes regarding this new owner. My feeling towards him is Distrust with a very big capital D.
  • Options

I think people should probably give RD a bit of credit here or at the very least wait until we've heard from Powell about him. RD wants to improve us,

Does he? Do you have proof of this? If he does want to improve us it will only be for short term gain.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    If the rumours of Roland's understanding of football are true he is possibly hoping to play two goalies.

(Didn't make it through whole thread so apologies if someone's already done that one.)
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

If Joe Hart was offered to Charlton, at very little cost, would we, as fans, want to take him on loan from Man City for six months? Yes, of course we would. This guy - welcome Yohann! - is in a similar position to Hart, not playing regularly because he has very good competition at club level, and wanting to confirm a World Cup squad place. I like both Hamer and Alnwick, but teams evolve, and players move on. Maybe a Ben will go to Liege as number 2 to their Japanese 'keeper and it will all be cosy once more?

Joe Hart, yeah why not , bring him in Roland!
  • Options
    We have a desparate need for a striker, the first two in are a midfielder and a goalkeeper, it can only get better.
  • Options
    Whatever might be said about RD's understanding of football he has a great deal more first hand experience than any of us and I bet he is learning fast. Things will be different at CAFC and many on here (and I include myself) may not like or agree with his decisions, but I for one look forward to seeing him make something of his investment in the club since this relies on success on the pitch. For me, it is welcome to the loanees and those who are to come!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think people should probably give RD a bit of credit here or at the very least wait until we've heard from Powell about him. RD wants to improve us,

Does he? Do you have proof of this? If he does want to improve us it will only be for short term gain.

No i'm wrong. He doesn't want to improve us at all. He's spent 20m buying us just to watch us slide down the leagues and make his investment absolutely worthless.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Pedro, if we were being offered Joe Hart (a top-class keeper) then I'd change my tune and say great. But the point is the guy we have got cannot even make the the first team at his own club. If he was so good, then he would be playing as the number one. (Hart quickly forced his way back into the first team).

In addition, he's got to come over and settle in a strange country - do we know if he can even speak English? - move into new accommodation (and hotels can be lonely places), settle into a new club and build an understanding with his fellow defenders (hope Morrison and Wood know the French for my ball). That's a lot to ask a senior, experienced pro to do, let alone a young man. By the time he's done all that, the season will probably be over.

And whilst he's here, he's p****d off Hamer and Alnwick.

This is not going to end well.
  • Options
    Standard have got Japan's goalie. Agree with your other points though.
  • Options
    Hamer is very popular with the other lads too, thats another concern
  • Options
    If we signed Le fondre an becchio would you be upset about it because it might piss of yann?
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Hamer is very popular with the other lads too, thats another concern

he's out of contract in a few months. how do we know that he hasn't already got a better offer from elsewhere? goes for Alnwick too.

• Options
    What song are we going to sing for Hamer now , and we also need a song for this new fella?
  • Options
    I'd assume Dervite and Yann will help him settle in.

If he's good enough and better than the other 2 keepers then he'll play. We currently have 3-4 strikers yet if we signed a better one, no one would moan at all. There's nothing wrong with competition for places.

Does anyone on here really give a sh*t if it's pissed off Hamer and Alnwick? It might make them train harder and up their game.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

If we signed Le fondre an becchio would you be upset about it because it might piss of yann?

No - because a) we desperately need forward replacements and b) I suspect most of the first team squad themselves, recognising where we are deficient, would welcome replacements up front. And anyway, a fully fit and committed Yann would in any event keep his place in the team in front of either of Le Fondre or Becchio.

• Options
    Lets keep Hamer for morale purposes.