Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options

Guess which boozer I did not go into yesterday!
  • Options
    Could you not get over the wall into the Bear mate? 
  • Options
    The opening session of this year's Norwich Beer Festival is now underway. 😀

I've started proceedings with a real winner: Grandma's Rich Porter by the Wolf Brewery, from near Attleborough.

Looking forward to a good evening of beer tasting ...
  • Options
    It would be be very easy to treat this like a "match thread" (but without a contribution from @Ross1) and keep posting after each tasting but I'll settle for this:

@Siv_in_Norfolk and whoever else might be coming later in the week ... if you like a porter I can heartily recommend the Hygge Figgy porter by Brass Castle, hopefully available from the Curiosity Bar.

"Figs, blueberries and almonds have all been blended-in to make this cosy, comforting autumnal porter." Bloody lovely, best beer of the evening thus far.
  • Options
    It would be be very easy to treat this like a "match thread" (but without a contribution from @Ross1) and keep posting after each tasting but I'll settle for this:

@Siv_in_Norfolk and whoever else might be coming later in the week ... if you like a porter I can heartily recommend the Hygge Figgy porter by Brass Castle, hopefully available from the Curiosity Bar.

"Figs, blueberries and almonds have all been blended-in to make this cosy, comforting autumnal porter." Bloody lovely, best beer of the evening thus far.
    Right up my street. Intend to be supping that on Thursday. Thanks for the tip

• Options
    What is the difference between a porter and a stout ?
    not keen on Guinness, does that mean I wont like a Porter ?
  • Options
    Porter is a really dark ale but thinner than guinness/Murphy's 

porter is lighter on your guts than stout too but stout is full of iron and about 700 calories a pint 

I also second whoever recommended Brewdog vagabond as a gluten free beer. It is delicious and a lot more session friendly than their game changing elvis juice IPA. 6 cans of that stuff is plenty, as nice as it is 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I've had stouts that are porters and porters that are stouts.
    I've seen beer aficionado's argue this many times.
  • Options
    Just back from a trip to Philadelphia and was disappointed with the beers. Lots of them but most bloody awful - was even persuaded to try Pumpkin beer, nearly threw up! Yuengling is good so stuck with that and found Wells Bombardier in one pub. Have to say though, Philly is a great place, so much history and so many things to see and do. Must have walked 7-8 miles most days. Would highly recommend it.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Porter is a really dark ale but thinner than guinness/Murphy's 

porter is lighter on your guts than stout too but stout is full of iron and about 700 calories a pint 
    A pint of Guinness has 210 calories.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doesn't Guinness Original have about 60?

Sure it was someone here who I learnt that from! 
  • Options
    Was given some cans of Guinness extra stout, never tried the stuff before, wasn't all that keen but added a small can of ginger ale and loved it.
    Antioxidants and iron now allow me to pretend I'm being healthy. 
  • Options
    Starling bar in Harrogate today radioing the mother ship.See also Major Tom’s Social which is one smart space for supping. In fact just go to Harrogate and wander round from one magic beer palace to the next. Elland Brewery Cherry stout in the Blues bar watching the excellent Winter Mountain play his tunes. 
  • Options

Bottle shop near me has a one pound clearance shelf... Excellent choice
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    McBobbin said:

Whereabouts is that @McBobbin
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I think of porter as having a more 'cokey' taste, unless it's a plum one. Stouts are a bit more bitter-sweet. As a dark beer fan, I think the top of the range porters are better (though typing that, I just remembered oyster stout, Mmmm) but at the bottom end of the scale stouts are more reliable.  I'd imagine that they are interchangeable for most beer drinkers and that if you like one you'll probably like the other (or not). I would be interested to know of any stout drinkers that don't like porter, or vice-versa.
  • Options
    BTW, for a gentle introduction to porter that won't break the bank if you don't like it try Purple Panther, just £1.25 from Lidl.
  • Options
    Cheers Stig. Will give that a try. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Whereabouts is that @McBobbin
    Colchester. Takes the sting out of having to work in Colchester
  • Options
    https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2019/09/24/Hobgoblin-gets-21st-century-facelift

What do people think of the new look for Hobgoblin? Personally I like both the old and the new, but can't see why the facelift would make much difference. Can't say I've noticed the Greene King and Shepherd-Neame ones, but then I'm rather less interested in them as I don't think their beers are nearly as good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like the new. 

Been drinking the ruby red  quite a bit. 

4x500 ml cans for £2.99 in Aldi. 

The bottles are slightly stronger though. 
  • Options
    Other Half Brewing - Triple Space Diamonds

10.5% Imperial IPA. It’s a thing of beauty. 
  • Options
    A couple of excellent beers tonight. 

Bellwoods Jelly King Guava out of Toronto. Dry hopped sour with guava. One of the best sours ive has for a while. 

Trillium Vanilla Truffle, the local Boston entry, 12.7% imperial stout with loads of vanilla. Smooth 

9 days to one of the highlights of my year, Where the Wild Beers Are at Novare Res in Portland, Maine. 
  • Options
    Starling bar in Harrogate today radioing the mother ship.See also Major Tom’s Social which is one smart space for supping. In fact just go to Harrogate and wander round from one magic beer palace to the next. Elland Brewery Cherry stout in the Blues bar watching the excellent Winter Mountain play his tunes. 

Nice. I liked Starlings and loved Major Tom's. Harrogate is a fine place for a pub crawl. I was lucky enough to be commissioned to write about one for Rouleur (cycling magazine) to coincide with the Cycling World Championships there. Not online though, otherwise I'd share it. 

Would also recommend the Little Ale House (micropub), Coach & Horses, North Bar and Harrogate Tap. Corner Haus if you like Belgian beer.
  • Options
    https://www.21st-amendment.com/beers/hell-or-high-watermelon this is a lovely drop if you can get your hands on it
  • Options
    I got some bottles of Odd Roger today. I haven't had it for donkey's years. I didn't even realise they still made it, though at 7.2% it's been downgraded from the heady days when it was claimed (falsely) I believe to be the strongest beer in the world*.  Loving my first bottle, I might even get the Kwak glasses out for my next one and pretend I'm on some sophisticated Belgian brew rather that a cheap bottle out of B&M Bargains.

iirc, this was on some sort of technicality because anything stronger counts as barley wine - as if barley wine somehow isn't beer. 
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding like a real ale snob, am i the only one who thinks it doesn't taste the same out of a can ...
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding like a real ale snob, am i the only one who thinks it doesn't taste the same out of a can ...
    Absolutely, there's a well respected hierarchy:

Draught > Bottle > Carton > Keg > Latrine > wrung out of a Tramp's Gusset > Can
  • Options
    The old men of CAMRA are attempting a thread takeover, sat in their holey jumpers and rockin unkempt beards.

• Options
    This evening, had the pleasure of the following
    Loud charge - DIPA - Verdant
    Fallow plans - DIPA - Polly’s 
    Coconuts - Imperial stout - Lervig