Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Phil said:
    Others may have mentioned it before not sure.....but went to The Wellington in Birmingham ( 5 mins from New Street station ) yesterday. Well worth a visit, a decent selection of ales.
    Has some good beer but Pint shop next door is better still 
  • Options
    Had some good beers lately from Wild Beer (Somerset), Odyssey (Worcestershire), Leffe, Siren, Kernel, Cloudwater

Joint beers of the week, both IPAs
    Double Triangles by Garage
    Buddleia, Butterflies, Rust and Messages by Verdant
  • Options

Duvel is not good for you on a work night.
  • Options
    Duvel is pretty nice, especially if you're keen to catch up with the race. The pint that your Wednesday friend is dinking looks far more interesting though.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Duvel is pretty nice, especially if you're keen to catch up with the race. The pint that your Wednesday friend is dinking looks far more interesting though.
    A Black beastie.

That is the drink, not my mate.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    We went to Deptford en route to the game yesterday and had some excellent beer in the Villages Brewery Tap and the Little Faith Taproom - a 2 and 5 minute walk respectively from the station. Rafiki in Villages and one of their own beers in Little Faith (maybe El Dorado). Both very fine establishments, a bit off the beaten track and well worth a visit. When you add The Dog & Bell, the area is exceptionally well served.

Sadly, with the demise of the Hop Stuff Brewery - purchased by Molson Coors in administration - the beer offering in the Taproom SE8 by the station is likely to suffer. We gave that a swerve in the interests of supporting the independents. We arrived at 11:45 before Villages opened at noon and did consider a swift half in ‘The Job Centre’, although in the light of a complete absence of customers and an advertisement outside for kale gnocchi, thought better of it.
    Love Villages and Little Faith. Along with the Dog & Bell, Job Centre and Full Nelson, they make for a fine night out in Deptford.
  • Options
    Chelmsford Oktoberfest tomorrow. A classy evening I should venture! Warming up tonight with a selection of nearly-off craft beers I picked up for a pound
  • Options

Marks and Spencers have decided to stop selling single can lagers, so thought I'd try this little number from the Kona Brewing Co in Portsmouth, the USA one.

Absolutely disgusting, it tastes like cloudy lemonade.
  • Options
    Been diagnosed with Crohn’s and have had to go gluten free. I like beer a lot and my local have sourced me Old Speckled Hen and Greene King IPA both GF and both drinkable

im after any suggestions of decent GF beers and any knowledge of boozers up town that might do a GF beer on tap  
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    Been diagnosed with Crohn’s and have had to go gluten free. I like beer a lot and my local have sourced me Old Speckled Hen and Greene King IPA both GF and both drinkable

im after any suggestions of decent GF beers and any knowledge of boozers up town that might do a GF beer on tap  
    Fantasma- Magic Rock
    Origin- Northern Monk
    Saucery- Magic Rock
    Futurist- Siren

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    holyjo said:

Fantasma- Magic Rock
    Origin- Northern Monk
    Saucery- Magic Rock
    Futurist- Siren

Brewdog - Vagabond
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Saw this one the other day.

• Options
    holyjo said:

If you like Peroni, you can get GF at most supermarkets. Few pubs in town sell it, as my boss was coeliac and could usually find it
  • Options

4 of these are sufficent.
  • Options
    Beer of Last week
    Northern powerhouse 6 - DDH DIPA - Cloudwater x Northern monk
    runner up triple scoop bourbon- imperial stout - amundsen 
    had some nice beers by wander beyond, lost industry and de molen (Netherlands)
  • Options
    Beer of previous week
    Don’t tell gus - DIPA - verdant 
    runner up Amundsen - unknown universe NEIPA & amundsen’s triple scoop bourbon 
    cask beer Of week strawberry tigers and jacuzzis- imperial stout - abbeydale
  • Options
    Any recommended beers that are easily available in the big 6 supermarkets

prefer bottles, 500ml and no more than £2 a bottle preferably below £1.50
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Waitrose is your best bet.
    sainsbury do beaver town (lupuloid is the best in my opinion) & wild beer
    morrison & Tesco have more range
    what sort of beer do you normally drink?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    been drinking  from Aldi’s selections. 
    Your Bishops Fingers , hobgoblins , directors, and some limited time ones such as Iconic Ale 

also quite like Sainsbury’s whitstable bay ale and taste the difference IPA

would I like a Porter?
    not keen on a Guinness or stout is a Porter going that way ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Depends what you like. I'd agree with Sheffield that Waitrose is best for quality /selection. When you factor in the 4for£6 deals, Asda is hard to beat though. Adnam's Broadside is a favourite, Badger's Poacher (or whatever it's called now) is lovely , and Hobgoblin is an easy favourite that's available in loads of places. Happy drinking!
  • Options
    Might have to go to a different one each weekend and try out their offers. 

It’s a tough life. 
  • Options
    Beavertown Brewery, Tottenham - Gamma Ray APA
    very tropical fruity - their Neck Oil IPA is drinkable as well.
    Usually available is the 39 Steps Alehouse, Broadstairs.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Guinness is stout not porter. I like both but prefer porters, more biscuity and less creamy. 

If you wanna try a cheap one Sainsbury’s do a 500ml of their own brand London Porter for £1.75. Drinking one right now as it happens. Won’t set the world alight but it’s very drinkable and a good one to give a try. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Various German weissbieren (wheat beers) like Erdinger, Franziskaner (spelling?), Paulaner.

Blue Moon.

These are normally around £1.90 - £2 a bottle but are often on three for £5 making them £1.67 a bottle.
  • Options
    Tesco do 4 for 6 quid on 500ml bottled ales.
    Its a matter of taste but i avoid the following:  old speckled hen, ghost ship, doombar, hohgoblin, greene king ipa and im sure you dont want the bishops finger - instead try Proper Job IPA and my favourite Shipyard APA and if you frequent a Wetherspoon try Devils Backbone APA (cheap) 
    Do you have any micro's round your way ?

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Blucher said:
    We went to Deptford en route to the game yesterday and had some excellent beer in the Villages Brewery Tap and the Little Faith Taproom - a 2 and 5 minute walk respectively from the station. Rafiki in Villages and one of their own beers in Little Faith (maybe El Dorado). Both very fine establishments, a bit off the beaten track and well worth a visit. When you add The Dog & Bell, the area is exceptionally well served.

Sadly, with the demise of the Hop Stuff Brewery - purchased by Molson Coors in administration - the beer offering in the Taproom SE8 by the station is likely to suffer. We gave that a swerve in the interests of supporting the independents. We arrived at 11:45 before Villages opened at noon and did consider a swift half in ‘The Job Centre’, although in the light of a complete absence of customers and an advertisement outside for kale gnocchi, thought better of it.
    Love Villages and Little Faith. Along with the Dog & Bell, Job Centre and Full Nelson, they make for a fine night out in Deptford.
    Never heard of Full Nelson before but will definitely give it a go. 
  • Options
    Few of us having a drink up at Fourpure before the Millwall game.
  • Options
    Cornish Beer Festival down the Dog & Bell - plus excellent big screen for the rugby (although, unfortunately, Ireland are being run over)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Tesco do 4 for 6 quid on 500ml bottled ales.
    Its a matter of taste but i avoid the following:  old speckled hen, ghost ship, doombar, hohgoblin, greene king ipa and im sure you dont want the bishops finger - instead try Proper Job IPA and my favourite Shipyard APA and if you frequent a Wetherspoon try Devils Backbone APA (cheap) 
    Do you have any micro's round your way ?

Proper Black is sometimes available too.