Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beer

Comments

• Brasilian lager is not great, but this has a bit of a kick to it.
    Happy NY to you. Look forward to the photos of grounds/stadiums in Brazil
  • Stig said:

STIG'S YEAR IN BEER 2019

Stig's record for the year

86 unique beers from 73 different breweries (source Untappd)

Best Beer

Leigh Brewery, SS9  9%

Peerless Brewery, Oatmeal Stout 5%

Best Bottled Beer

Old Ford, Export Stout 6.5%

Best Food

The Angel, North Shoebury.  All of their food is divine.  

Best Service

No change here, Hush in Southend, as ever.

Best Stocked Bar

Marina Hotel, Lagos. Amazing array of gins, whiskies and other spirits. 

Friendliest Locals  

St Machars Bar, Aberdeen. Sat in there to watch the Cricket World Cup final and got bought whiskies by the locals. Amazing, generous people.  

Worst Pub

Saddlers Arms, Cardigan. Beer tasted of pipe cleaner. Not enough places to sit. The dart board was missing and the table skittles broken. Struggled to get out as the furniture was re-arranged so that the floor could be mopped. Other than that it was lovely.

Worst Beer

Belhaven Best at The Abercrombie, Aberdeen. I've had it elsewhere and it was alright so I think it was just in that place.

Worst Pub Food

Vegetarian Pizza from The Twelve Tellers, Preston. The resulting 'Preston Pizza Poisoning', as it will forever be known in our house, made me miss work the next morning and resulted in a very uncomfortable train ride back to Essex.

Most disappointing beer trip

Sagres, Portugal. Because the brewery simply didn’t exist outside of my imagination. I found out that Sagres beer a con big trick so that Heineken can charge premium prices for distinctly unpremium beer brewed 150 miles away from where the label suggests. That'll teach me to get seduced by lagers.

I wonder what was on a vegetarian pizza that made you so sick. Thats worrying
    I had it at about 10pm, reckon it had been hanging around for a while.

• Brasilian lager is not great, but this has a bit of a kick to it.
    Happy NY to you. Look forward to the photos of grounds/stadiums in Brazil
    Ditto mate.

Unfortunately there is a 6 weeks'ish break whilst I'm out here.
  • Thought Derby was great for proper beer. Highlight was a chocolate orange stout (much nicer than it sounds) in The Tap, and Business as Usual by the Derby brewing co.
    Very good away for an overnight. Hope to do it next year
  • Had a stunning pint of Gipsy Hill's Huddle at The Beer Shop in Nunhead yesterday. i do love those NE IPAs. I know a lot of brewers think NEIPAs aren't a style of beer, as such, but I love them. Huddle was brewed exclusively for The Beer Shop, so can't be found anywhere else. Cracking little micropub it is too.
  • IdleHans said:
    Thought Derby was great for proper beer. Highlight was a chocolate orange stout (much nicer than it sounds) in The Tap, and Business as Usual by the Derby brewing co.
    Very good away for an overnight. Hope to do it next year
    There are a glut of decent boozers right by Derby central station for ale, Chesterfield sofas and wing back chairs. And bubbles spa for a bath and a wank 
  • Vincenzo said:
    Had a stunning pint of Gipsy Hill's Huddle at The Beer Shop in Nunhead yesterday. i do love those NE IPAs. I know a lot of brewers think NEIPAs aren't a style of beer, as such, but I love them. Huddle was brewed exclusively for The Beer Shop, so can't be found anywhere else. Cracking little micropub it is too.
    F*** going to Nunhead.
  • Er, why?
  • Anyway talking of taking the piss, with some trepidation I would like to open up a discussion on non-alcohol beers. Up until now, I have treated them all with contempt, and would rather order sparkling water. However my  holiday on the German coast, where some fine breweries lurk, took an unexpected turn when a doctor diagnosed the strange boil on my bum as a tic-bite and immediately put me on heavy duty anti-biotics, with an associated warning about drinking alcohol. 

As it happens I had recently read this article in the Guardian about how one of my favourite German breweries, Stortebeker, was doing very well with no-alcohol beers, and they had produced a NA version of their Atlantic Ale, which is one of my favourites (even if I think it is misnamed, as it has the colour and taste of a continental IPA, not at all what we call an "ale"). So I tried the NA version and have to say it is great. A beer I can drink on its own merit. Unfortunately as yet I haven't found any other to match it. Jever Fun turned out to be not bad. But Bitburger 0.0%..dire. But then so is the normal Bitburger. 

I found that article interesting in how it describes the two different approaches to brewing a no-alcohol brew. The other thing I have found (because the doctor didn't exactly say no alcohol, just to be very sparing), is that if you order a normal beer after drinking a couple of NA beers, the normal one seems to have a funny taste, namely the alcohol. 

Anyone else got any observations on NA beers, anybody got any that they would actively choose to drink on merit?
    Brewdog are doing free refills on NA beers this month. Tempted to go to the one near me at work and try the stout.

https://www.brewdog.com/blog/we-are-opening-the-worlds-first-alcohol-free-beer-bar
  • Sponsored links:

• Vincenzo said:
    Er, why?
    Hardly Kensington High Street is it.
  • Anyone else hungover today then? Ouch.
  • Boss Brewery right by the ground last night was worth a visit, excellent selection of beers and a nice friendly place, would recommended popping in next time, certainly beat the Harvester/Frankie & Benny option
  • Vincenzo said:
    Er, why?
    Hardly Kensington High Street is it.
    No, thankfully. Got four pubs around the Green. Nun's Head and Beer Shop are both great. Plus it's got the Ivy House, which is fantastic. Not a bad place to find yourself at all.

• Another fan of Gypsy Hill. In the top 3 of London breweries.

Had some great beers over the festive period apart from breweries previously mentioned on here, Three Hills (Northants) Neon Raptor (Notts), Fieldwork (CA) Homes (MI) Ology (FL) Dancing gnome (PA)

Beer of the festive period
    runner up Zygoat - amundsen - pastry stout
    Winner DDH pulp by fieldwork- IPA
  • Has anyone been to/feedback on the real ale pub near The Star/Esso garage on plumstead common road ?
  • Has anyone been to/feedback on the real ale pub near The Star/Esso garage on plumstead common road ?
    Not into ales myself but if it’s the plum tree you’re on about, my mate (who is very much into ales) rates it.

• I’m working over in Farringdon this month and have stumbled upon the dovetail, anyone been here before?

its the bollox 
  • Visited the Long Pond briefly Saturday evening around 9pm or so. No sign of Mine Host but two young lads were doing a very good job and the beer and atmosphere, as ever, were excellent.

Maybe better than when Mine Host is in attendance ;)
  • I’m working over in Farringdon this month and have stumbled upon the dovetail, anyone been here before?

its the bollox 
    well, we were meant to be going there on 6th December after a team night at Farringdon sports bar and turned up for our meal,and they said we dont do food.
    Our Muppet manager had actually booked their sister pub/restaurant.

we wandered off to get a cab, but stumbled across the brewdog pub around the corner so ate/drank there instead.

had started a thread about the beers we should try as well so gutted to miss out.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/87273/belgian-beer-advice#latest

• Sponsored links:

its the bollox 
    Not familiar with that one. If you haven't already, try the Jerusalem Tavern, an 18th C pub just up the road from the station.
    There's also The Eagle on Farringdon Rd, which was one of the first ever gastro pubs, but don't let that put you off; lovely airy pub with a great lunch.
  • the dovetail in farringdon definitely does food as i was reading the menu whilst I treated myself to a Monday pint today, not sure what time they stop serving food though, could be a lunch time menu.

quite a decent looking menu for a small pub to be fair.
  • the dovetail in farringdon definitely does food as i was reading the menu whilst I treated myself to a Monday pint today, not sure what time they stop serving food though, could be a lunch time menu.

quite a decent looking menu for a small pub to be fair.
    Just had a look online and it does look good. Fortunately, the fact that it is a Belgian pub will no longer have the former associations that might have left a bitter taste in the mouth...
  • Redskin said:
    I’m working over in Farringdon this month and have stumbled upon the dovetail, anyone been here before?

its the bollox 
    Not familiar with that one. If you haven't already, try the Jerusalem Tavern, an 18th C pub just up the road from the station.
    There's also The Eagle on Farringdon Rd, which was one of the first ever gastro pubs, but don't let that put you off; lovely airy pub with a great lunch.
    it's just off of Aylesbury street. had vedett on tap and its possibly the cleanest crispest pint I've had in the last 12 months.

they also have loads of other beers on tap including guest beers as well as loads of bottles
  • As I can now get a train direct from Maze Hill to Farringdon, I'll have to pop up there for a spot of lunch with the lad, assuming he's actually out of bed by then. 
  • When I was in Swansea the other week, I popped into Brewdog and had a pint of 'Cybernaut'. Really nice, and the barman was really knowledgeable as well (they have to pass exams on Real Ale, Craft Beers, foreign beers etc to work there!). 

Brewdog's 'Clockwork Tangerine' is also a really good craft beer. 
  • MrWalker said:
    The Ten Bells applied a 10 per cent late night fee to the price of a pint
    Bloody hell, £7.05 per pint. Jack the Ripper was less cut-throat.
  • MrWalker said:
    The Ten Bells applied a 10 per cent late night fee to the price of a pint
    Late night pricing! At 22.00 I am just getting started!
  • Doing dry January (mainly to arrest a slide into alcoholism, but a handy excuse however faddy it makes me look) but went for a ruby with a mate and then went to the pub. Pretty revelatory... He lives in a village so I was able to drive, couple of Cobra Zeros in the restaurant, then a couple of alcohol free Bitburgers in the pub. Altogether, they weren't too bad. Also, got change from a fiver for the two in the pub, couldn't believe it! So used to London prices. 

Might even see if I can string this alcohol free evening malarky out for a bit longer