Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snooker updates

Comments

• Options
    World Championship 
    Semi Final 
    1st Session 

Ronnie O'Sullivan 5-3 Mark Selby 
  • Options
    Should have been bigger, the first session i have never seen so many kicks, Selby didn't play well but must be happy there is only a 2 frame gap, important last frame. Ronnie had his number in safeties not sure he can stay on top so should have punished at the end. 
  • Options
    Fancy Selby to win the thing at about 100-30 (as he's playing O'Sillyvan in the semi) .. makes me laugh on the BBC, it's all about the trophy, the history, the legacy. Yesterday they were playing for £50,000, the difference between a quarter and a semi place. The BBC are always reluctant to mention the 'filthy prize money' but seemingly make exceptions when it comes to negotiating their inflated salaries.
    Last point, why are players allowed to leave the arena for long intervals after almost every frame ?. This seems to be just a ploy to keep the opponent waiting and sitting down fretting and worried. I doubt if they all suffer from weak bladders or Delhi belly. 
    I've enjoyed this tournament despite the lack of atmosphere and the canned applause  
    It does surprise me that ROS is favourite against Selby, they have met twice in the Worlds previously and Selby has won both. Although Ronnie looks more into this one than recent ones he is still making mistakes, in particular leaving that first red on from his break. Or is it because of the Ronnie factor he has been heavily backed both outright and each match the bookies have to offset it just to settle the books? i would say 5/6 each would be fair or Selby 4/6, Ronnie evens would be about right. Always intrigues me how these things are priced up

Does anyone else when watching longer sessions set targets for the players they want to win, eg. 4-4 this session for the first session i would take anything else a bonus. Then when it gets nearer the climax i always think of the minimum required eg. last night Williams would have had to win 3-0 at 10-12 down.  
    Players definitely break it down into mini sessions. Like today, McGill is looking for 2-2 and Wilson for 3-1.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Fancy Selby to win the thing at about 100-30 (as he's playing O'Sillyvan in the semi) .. makes me laugh on the BBC, it's all about the trophy, the history, the legacy. Yesterday they were playing for £50,000, the difference between a quarter and a semi place. The BBC are always reluctant to mention the 'filthy prize money' but seemingly make exceptions when it comes to negotiating their inflated salaries.
    Last point, why are players allowed to leave the arena for long intervals after almost every frame ?. This seems to be just a ploy to keep the opponent waiting and sitting down fretting and worried. I doubt if they all suffer from weak bladders or Delhi belly. 
    I've enjoyed this tournament despite the lack of atmosphere and the canned applause  
    It does surprise me that ROS is favourite against Selby, they have met twice in the Worlds previously and Selby has won both. Although Ronnie looks more into this one than recent ones he is still making mistakes, in particular leaving that first red on from his break. Or is it because of the Ronnie factor he has been heavily backed both outright and each match the bookies have to offset it just to settle the books? i would say 5/6 each would be fair or Selby 4/6, Ronnie evens would be about right. Always intrigues me how these things are priced up

Does anyone else when watching longer sessions set targets for the players they want to win, eg. 4-4 this session for the first session i would take anything else a bonus. Then when it gets nearer the climax i always think of the minimum required eg. last night Williams would have had to win 3-0 at 10-12 down.  
    Players definitely break it down into mini sessions. Like today, McGill is looking for 2-2 and Wilson for 3-1.
    Yeah i know that, but as viewers. I do it automatically, assume not everyone really thinks about it other than they need this frame or next 2. 

Players 100% will do that, for example Ronnie 6-2 down the other day, seemed alot, he needs to win 11-6, but its only 2/3 frames so doesn't seem as big. 

When i play pool its not really the same as its just a race to 10, so there is no sort of mid session. Sometimes you might aim to win 2 out of 3 frames if someone you should beat but usually a frame at a time. once you fall behind you might then set these mini markers. 
  • Options
    Sorry I missed the update had a busy morning lol

World Championship 
    Semi Final 
    2nd Session(Mid Session Interval)

Anthony McGill 7-5 Kyren Wilson 
  • Options
    World Championship 
    Semi Final 
    2nd Session 

Kyren Wilson 8-8 Anthony McGill 
  • Options
    More dodgy kicks to start with, this is annoying Ronnie was in prime position now he is struggling. 
  • Options
    More dodgy kicks to start with, this is annoying Ronnie was in prime position now he is struggling. 
    The kick was bad and he would have won the frame had he not got it(but thats the chalk he uses) but then 2 shots later he had the fluked red and didn't make the most of it, so swings and roundabouts.

Selby done well to frustrate Ronnie in the end of the frame to force the mistake to pot the red.

Selby does need to improve his highest break tho first break above 50 coming up
  • Options
    World Championship 
    Semi Final 
    2nd Session(Mid Session Interval)

Mark Selby 7-5 Ronnie O'Sullivan 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Twitter makes me me laugh

On every post this afternoon by world snooker all you see are replies from people saying how boring Selby is and how rubbish it will be if he wins and he is basically Peter Ebdon lol.

I am sat here like, have you never seen O'Sullivan play before look at his match with Thepchaiya who played into Ronnie's strengths.

Selby knows you need to bog Ronnie down to beat him its a game plan, who cares if its a bit slow sometimes, snooker isn't just about big breaks its also about good safety

Selby has a brilliant all round game and thats whats needed against Ronnie to wind him up 
  • Options
    The kick was bad and he would have won the frame had he not got it(but thats the chalk he uses) but then 2 shots later he had the fluked red and didn't make the most of it, so swings and roundabouts.

Selby done well to frustrate Ronnie in the end of the frame to force the mistake to pot the red.

It could be, although Ronnie has never got kicks, never moans about it. Changed the chalk the other day but both players complained about it in the first mini session yesterday. The arena is quite damp/humid according to the presenters/commentators, they have said its like playing in China. Whether its the balls, heat, chalk he is using its the most i have ever seen in one match its ridiculous. Proper momentum shifter too so i am not too happy, missed a couple of frames as my skygo has played up too the last 40 mins. I saw the fluked red, but its not things like a kick or constant will be in the back of your mind so its different, i did think justified at first the fluke but he had such a good chance where it happened twice in quick succession.  madness Selby is anywhere near with a highest break of 39 (prior to the last couple of frames. 

Not a happy bunny here, combination of the weather and the snooker :( 
  • Options

On every post this afternoon by world snooker all you see are replies from people saying how boring Selby is and how rubbish it will be if he wins and he is basically Peter Ebdon lol.

I am sat here like, have you never seen O'Sullivan play before look at his match with Thepchaiya who played into Ronnie's strengths.

Selby knows you need to bog Ronnie down to beat him its a game plan, who cares if its a bit slow sometimes, snooker isn't just about big breaks its also about good safety

Selby has a brilliant all round game and thats whats needed against Ronnie to wind him up 
    Correct, my mate even messaged earlier saying on snooker.org, i confirmed twitter is the same. People who call him boring or moan about him do not have a clue. Obviously most are ronnie fans, they dont understand the game and are clueless. I dont see how anyone can argue with Selby, he has won 3 world titles in an era with MJW/Higgins + Ronnie, not only that he was number one for 4 years which is ridiculous. 

People say he cant play, yet he  can play whatever he needs to to win. The greatest match player in history for me bar none. Sometimes not ideal to watch, but no other player can either adapt or change the way their opponent plays as much as Selby, see Robertson match for an extreme example. I used to find him a bit dull/boring if im honest but now appreciate how good he is. Too me he is the person most likely to beat Ronnie any time they play, also if he is in the mood he can make centuries for fun. Might not be pretty but i have nothing but respect for him as a player on and off the table. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Ronnie very poor so far. Missing numerous shots and out of sorts.
  • Options

It could be, although Ronnie has never got kicks, never moans about it. Changed the chalk the other day but both players complained about it in the first mini session yesterday. The arena is quite damp/humid according to the presenters/commentators, they have said its like playing in China. Whether its the balls, heat, chalk he is using its the most i have ever seen in one match its ridiculous. Proper momentum shifter too so i am not too happy, missed a couple of frames as my skygo has played up too the last 40 mins. I saw the fluked red, but its not things like a kick or constant will be in the back of your mind so its different, i did think justified at first the fluke but he had such a good chance where it happened twice in quick succession.  madness Selby is anywhere near with a highest break of 39 (prior to the last couple of frames. 

The humidity was a big issue last night, Alan Mcmanus said himself which is why bith players had kicks.

But today the Humidity is perfect hence the no kicks in the morning match and no kicks for Selby.

Ronnie was using Taom but changed because of 2 miscues

Basically Taom completely gets rid of kicks but it doesn't stick to the cue as well as the old chalk so if you don't chalk the cue enough then you are more prone to miscues, Ronnie obviously kept forgetting to rechalk the cue so went back to the old stuff which is less likely to miss cue, but more prone to kick

The problem is because Ronnie is using the old chalk any excess chalk on his cue sticks to the white ball which then also causes kicks lol.

Players like Williams, Robertson anr Selby all use Taom and swear by it.
  • Options
    Strange frane that last one. Both rubbish at the start and then O'Sullivan with an 80.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

The humidity was a big issue last night, Alan Mcmanus said himself which is why bith players had kicks.

But today the Humidity is perfect hence the no kicks in the morning match and no kicks for Selby.

Ronnie was using Taom but changed because of 2 miscues

Basically Taom completely gets rid of kicks but it doesn't stick to the cue as well as the old chalk so if you don't chalk the cue enough then you are more prone to miscues, Ronnie obviously kept forgetting to rechalk the cue so went back to the old stuff which is less likely to miss cue, but more prone to kick

The problem is because Ronnie is using the old chalk any excess chalk on his cue sticks to the white ball which then also causes kicks lol.

Players like Williams, Robertson anr Selby all use Taom and swear by it.
    Just so you know, i did use to use Taom chalk and i know its supposed to get rid of kicks but also doesn't always stick on aswell. i used it for about 6months to a year and now have gone back to regular triangle chalk. At first you notice the slight difference, but then after going back you dont really, essentially it could be down to the humidity/balls etc and maybe for that reason he needs to switch chalks? or selby is on the right stuff, maybe its a bit like F1 with the tyres whether soft/medium/hard, depends on the conditions and regardless what the actual cause they were crucial times.

Ronnie rarely has got kicks and quite renowned for that and never really seen him complain the odd kick either, but last night. Agreed different temperatures today, but the timing of his kicks were key as it then swung the momentum, since then he hasn't really played well so could have changed his mindset. 
  • Options
    Thats when you know Ronnie isnt feeling it

62 behind 59 on so only 1 snooker needed and he gave the frame up and he is now 2 behind
  • Options
    Thats when you know Ronnie isnt feeling it

62 behind 59 on so only 1 snooker needed and he gave the frame up and he is now 2 behind
    Yep Selbys got him today! Ronnie needs to find top gear for tomorrows 2 sessions or he is done for. Still a long way to go but advantage Selby  :'(

Not impossible but not really the position he wants to be in, also let a couple go early on so could have been a totally different ball game. I am not going to blame the kicks but certainly was a momentum shifter, these little things sometimes matter whether it be a kick/ fluke. All about moments when they happen and how people deal with it. 
  • Options
    big final frame now

If it finishes 8-8 the O'Sullivan will feel like Selby did yesterday at 5-3 down
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At least Ronnie has made two decent breaks in recent frames - hopefully can level it.
  • Options
    World Championship 
    Semi Final 
    2nd Session 

Mark Selby 9-7 Ronnie O'Sullivan 
  • Options

You get the same in football though. Most fans would obviously prefer to see free flowing attacking football, but not every side can play that way, so they adapt and play to their own strengths. 
  • Options
    World Championship 
    Semi Final 
    3rd Session(Mid Session Interval)

Kyren Wilson 10-10 Anthony McGill 
  • Options
    Wilson v Ronnie would be a great final. I understand why Selby is slowing it down etc and don’t blame for that... but i find him a very dull. Selby v McGill imo would be really poor. Has McGill got a century this tournament?
  • Options
    World Championship 
    Semi Final
    3rd Session 

Kyren Wilson 13-11 Anthony McGill 

Very important final frame for McGill to set it up for tomorrow afternoon 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Wilson v Ronnie would be a great final. I understand why Selby is slowing it down etc and don’t blame for that... but i find him a very dull. Selby v McGill imo would be really poor. Has McGill got a century this tournament?
    Yes he just got one lol
  • Options
    CROWDS IN FOR THE FINAL

Yes thats right 300 people will be allowed in for each session of the final after the government confirmed that test venues can restart the trials again
  • Options
    CROWDS IN FOR THE FINAL

Yes thats right 300 people will be allowed in for each session of the final after the government confirmed that test venues can restart the trials again
    Only if Ronald wins  ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Good start....

If you are a selby fan! Ronnie misses a red (shot to nothing i think) leaves over the pocket, Selby gets a 97. 10-7.  (still yet to make a century)