Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton - Leeds - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Kermy said:

The result would be very different if we had Paddy Kenny and they had Ben Hamer.

They let in three last Saturday whilst Hamer kept a clean sheet

• Options
    A typical 'one of those games'. We did pretty well and had the chances to win, but shot ourselves in the foot every time we looked like we would go ahead and win.

Our second goal came straight after the substitution made out of a bit of desperation. If it had come five minutes earlier then Powell would not have made the substitution and we would have stayed more balanced and probably won.

If we had not give away a needless penalty after half-time we would have probably won.

If, if, if...
  • Options
    Hamer Isn't in kenny's league. Lets not go there.
  • Options
    Personally i though it was a ok performance we deserved a draw no more no less losing 4-2 is very harsh on us
    Oh and Keith Stroud should never ref a professional game of football again he was disgraceful
  • Options
    Posting without reading.
    You could easily say that game was all about Ross McCormack and the referee. it was also about Kenny and Hamer. It was also about a clinical Leeds performance and a rather wasteful Charlton performance. There was not a million miles between the teams, but McCormack and Brown, who had something of the Kinsella about him, were very good, we were simply OK and could have done with an outstanding performance from someone this afternoon.
    I thought Jackson was our best player, and Stewart scored a beauty. However both were eclipsed by Brown and McCormack. It would be great to have some money to get someone in to help out our fundamentally decent bunch of players.
    Of course it should have been a pen to us, and it was our turn to have an officious yet cowardly referee and East stand lino, but they were not the most significant difference.
    We must have won the toss in the dressing room, and chose the right way to kick on the awful pitch, four goals at the covered end tells that story. Also the Leeds fans were very good throughout it has to be said. The result is a real drag, but we had bits and pieces about us (like all the backheels and flicks!) to give us some hope.
    Oh well, got to regroup.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

mrbligh said:

I think powelly got it terribly wrong today. 4-5-1 with harriott on the right wing was sadly too defensive and too WRONG. They were there for the taking, we had no attack

The problem is what's the alternative ? 442 with a half fit Yann or ineffective Sordell with Church ?

I guess it's easy to say it was wrong in hindsight but starting with two real wingers (rather than one and Pritchard) and JJ pushed up is probably as attacking as we could be.
    I completely agree that hindsight is a wonderful thing and we would have all been commending scp on a tactical master class had we have won.

The simple facts were that the pitch was a bog/swamp in places, you play 4-5-1 to keep possession and sweep the all around that 5. That is never gonna happen on that pitch

Chris Powell should have realised that and put out a team to reflect the conditions we were playing in.

I am a staunch Powell man but he got it very very wrong today imo
  • Options
    Seems we all agree. Funny old game.

Thought we played well, especially towards the end of the first half when we could have scored three of four times. Wasn't at all impressed by Leeds. Hard to understand how we lost.

McCormack took his goals well, but I thought we handled both him and Austin very comfortably. I know that sounds bizarre. It really is a funny old game at times.

I liked the set up which today was 4-1-2-2-1. Cousins makes such a huge difference. His ability to hold opens up lots of possibilities ahead of him and today Stewart and Harriott played in front of Jackson and Stephens. Church again did well.

When Kermorgant came on, replacing Harriott, we looked less effective. Chris Powell has a dilemma. If he wants to play a pressing game how will that work with Kermorgant in the side?

PS I thought the referee had a decent game. Ours wasn't a penalty, but theirs was. Harriott messed up, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Hate to say it but when it went 2-2 I thought that it would have been a fair result, we played extremely well and dominated the match (with the ref demanding centre stage) but Paddy Kenny didnt deserve to be on a losing side I hate to say
  • Options
    Good game with a very flattering scoreline for Leeds. Wish we had goal scorer like Ross McCormack. Thought we played ok. Gutted.
  • Options
    Today showed why we usually keep it tight and try to win the game 1-0. We went with two wingers today and went at Leeds more, and as a result it was a very open game. Back to basics again please CP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't believe Brown never even got booked in that game. I can't be the only one who saw him go in two footed at least twice in the first half?
    In conditions like today's he could've easily ended someone's career.
  • Options
    Kermy said:

The result would be very different if we had Paddy Kenny and they had Ben Hamer.

This 100% Kenny makes two world class saves Hamer drops a clanger. Why is Harriott back in the team four clean sheets and we change the team poor.

• Options
    For all the comments about the ref, I thought Morrison was a bit lucky to only get a yellow in the first half - no hope of getting the ball and we'd have been screaming for a red card had it been the other way round.
  • Options
    I have always liked the Leeds manager, up until today. They were a dirty, cheating, time wasting bunch of tossers. I hope that next time they try to do those sorts of things, they come up against a much stronger ref who isnt on their payroll!
  • Options

When Kermorgant came on, replacing Harriott, we looked less effective. Chris Powell has a dilemma. If he wants to play a pressing game how will that work with Kermorgant in the side?

Very well I imagine. How many times have we seen Yann go through a player marshalling the ball out of play for a throw? If Powell tells Yann to press he'll tear through their defenders like matchsticks, same as always
  • Options
    Very disappointed with the result. Thought we were better than them from start to finish. Ref was absolutely in their pocket and either a cheat or an idiot. He wasn't a cheat. They were cynical and McCormack clinical. Hamer stuck to his line for the third when it was an easy catch in his six yard box. We have no strikers so scoring two goals was an achievement. Unless we get bodies in we are getting relegated. We won't score enough goals to stay up.
  • Options
    Hamer is racking up the material for his Christmas gaffs DVD. Why didn't he come and claim for the 3rd? Strange decision making and for anyone that tries to argue his 'distribution is superb,' have a long look at his outball today. Was scanning the pitch for an injured player everytime he launched one out of play....turns out it was just his pony kicking. I've had enough.

That aside, team played well. Stephens and Cousins still looking the part, Church will just never score but he made that 2nd goal and that's exactly why he has cemented his place. Wiggins bombed up and down AND yes, Stewart's crossing had a similar output to Hamer's kicking, BUT he can beat a man and for my money that's worth having in the team. Jackson's attitude was spot on and got the team going. The only worry for me is this type of game last year we would of won, as we had the players to create the match winning moments (Fuller, Haynes). McCormack was a one man show today, hard to take but its the truth.

Only other moan (ref aside) has to be the state of the pitch. i CANNOT get my head around how it is so shite. I've played on plenty of sunday league park pitches and some half decent ones at uni. How can we be a professional club with a pitch that the ball dont roll/bounce on when it rains. Don't think I've played on a pitch where these things occur, fair enough they might have sod all grass on em, but the ball still moves! Any fertiliser/gardening experts out there, please can i have an answer. It's just bizarre
  • Options

Thought we played well, especially towards the end of the first half when we could have scored three of four times. Wasn't at all impressed by Leeds. Hard to understand how we lost.

McCormack took his goals well, but I thought we handled both him and Austin very comfortably. I know that sounds bizarre. It really is a funny old game at times.

I liked the set up which today was 4-1-2-2-1. Cousins makes such a huge difference. His ability to hold opens up lots of possibilities ahead of him and today Stewart and Harriott played in front of Jackson and Stephens. Church again did well.

PS I thought the referee had a decent game. Ours wasn't a penalty, but theirs was. Harriott messed up, unfortunately.

Agree with all of this
  • Options

Very well I imagine. How many times have we seen Yann go through a player marshalling the ball out of play for a throw? If Powell tells Yann to press he'll tear through their defenders like matchsticks, same as always
    I don't doubt Kermorgant's commitment, but he can't play the role Jackson filled at Birmimgham or Harriott against Blackpool, for example. It will be interesting to see how Chris Powell sets up now Kermorgant is back and who will play in midfield.
  • Options
    Tale of 2 pens.
    Tale of 2 keepers.

We were the better side, but we got beat. Need to move on as we were very unlucky and the team played well in the conditions. Leeds were poor and won 4-2. How?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well what a disappointment. For big chunks of the match we were easily the better side especially in the first half we could have gone in 3-1 up and it would have been deserved. The referee failed to give a stonewall penalty when Church was bought down but the equaliser was pure quality. So we came out for the second half and they get a soft penalty but again we played well and got the equaliser but then Flapper Hamer once again failed to claim a ball that was his and we went behind, the fourth was always coming. We will play worse and get a result I am convinced of that.

So my conclusions are this we still lack firepower to kill a team off, Ross McCormack is different class frankly I wish we had him, the rest of the Leeds team were a bunch of posing, diving, cheating nancy boys. Oh and by the way the pitch is a disgrace the board need to give Paddy a decent budget to get it sorted instead of posing for bloody photo's.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Good job for Stewart he scored a wonder goal, because apart from that he was garbage. Wilson also below par today. Great fight from Jackson and Church and I thought Rhoys did well.
  • Options

Please tell me this is a joke I sit upper north and had clear view of both pens Church was taken clean out and Harriott was just standing his ground ref got both decisions wrong add to that the two clear pens in the 2nd half for us ref was disgraceful
  • Options
    Why do Charlton sell boxes to Leeds fans? East Stand was its usual peaceful self until the 4th Leeds goal goes in, the box doors fly open and some old, fat blokes start to wind Charlton fans up for a row. Once they got some they closed the doors and blinds. Stewards are useless.
  • Options
    Does anyone think the 4-1-4-1 was completely wrong today? A formation which sucess lies in possession but the valley swamp was never going to accommodate?
  • Options

For all the comments about the ref, I thought Morrison was a bit lucky to only get a yellow in the first half - no hope of getting the ball and we'd have been screaming for a red card had it been the other way round.

Completely agree with this... Was almost right in front of me and Morrison really did give Brown a bit of afters following the tackle, not saying Brown doesnt deserve it seeing he's a nasty little bastard but we'd have been screaming for red had it been the other way round
  • Options

Entertaining goal packed game, it seems like we were very unlucky.

Ultimately though, another failure to win at home.

Look forward to hearing from those there.

Really enjoyable game of football we did not deserve to come away with nothing even 1 point would be harsh. I find it strange that from Revise to McDermott Leeds have been able to maintain the cheating dirty tactics.

When you lose 4-2 you would expect poor marks for most of the players would be poor, but I felt that they played well, just miss out on that cutting edge in front of goal. No one really stood out, but no one was total crap. I did not think it was a Church penalty, but have seen them given. Great goal by Stewart and lovely jinky run by Church to set up Jacko.

• Options
    Cant believe on the player marks how many 7 Stewart is getting apart from his goal he did nothing he look confused not knowing what he was doing all game someone sat near me made a good point it looks as if he has never played football before
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

Does anyone think the 4-1-4-1 was completely wrong today? A formation which sucess lies in possession but the valley swamp was never going to accommodate?

Well I don't think we lost because of it. We created a fair few chances but couldn't put them away and didn't actually give them many opportunities. The difference ultimately was the class (at championship level) striker they have.

• Options
    Gammysnr said:

Why do Charlton sell boxes to Leeds fans? East Stand was its usual peaceful self until the 4th Leeds goal goes in, the box doors fly open and some old, fat blokes start to wind Charlton fans up for a row. Once they got some they closed the doors and blinds. Stewards are useless.

Name and Shame the offenders it was
    The Bexley Times who did it for the Millwall game as well, they are above the law

If it wasn't the Bexley Time they might like to consider their name being associated with allowing some one to let away fans in their box again and your right the stewards do nothing unless your 8 year old has a can of coke or someone smokes.